PDA

View Full Version : An Inconvenient Truth- MOVIE

Goodtime$
07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Just saw the movie, Al Gore presents the issue of global warming.
Truthfully I enjoyed the movie and it was worth watching. The threat is real the signs are there.
I know i wll be blasted for this as we all have high performance boats, but there are many little things we can do help out.
Fuel Injection, 4 stroke Outboards and newer 2stroke technologies. Everything helps at home and at play to insure our earths future.
cheers

Outnumbered
07-19-2006, 12:27 AM
You gotta be focking kidding me :rolleyes:

Outnumbered
07-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Truthfully I enjoyed the movie and it was worth watching. The threat is real the signs are there.
I know i wll be blasted for this as we all have high performance boats, but there are many little things we can do help out.
Fuel Injection, 4 stroke Outboards and newer 2stroke technologies. Everything helps at home and at play to insure our earths future.
cheers
You really think boat, motorcycle, PWC, car motors here in the US will make a difference when 3rd world countries have absolutely no regard for emissions and spew pollution into the environment in the form of coal power plants that are not clean burning like the ones here in the US? What about volcanoes? What about wild fires?
The fact is that the earth temp fluctuates as a normal cycle. We are an insignificant dot on the timeline of the history of the earth. To think that we can change the earth temp is ignorant. What warmed the earth up after the last ice age? 2-stroke Eskimo sleds?
Gore is a whack-job with an agenda and he is a joke. Don't fall into his trap. If we do all the shit he says we should, we will be left in the dust by the 3rd world manufacturers who will not abide by the clean air regs and produce goods for far cheaper than we could ever attain. Not only are we fighting cheap labor but also an unfair playing field with regard to environmental regulation. We are already the most environmentally conscious major industrial nation in the world by choice. If we tighten the noose any farther we will wither up and die. Open your eyes, don't believe everything you hear. I suppose you enjoyed and buy into Fahrenheit 911 also.

ROZ
07-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Tell us how you really feel, Mr. O :D

RitcheyRch
07-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Well stated.
You really think boat, motorcycle, PWC, car motors here in the US will make a difference when 3rd world countries have absolutely no regard for emissions and spew pollution into the environment in the form of coal power plants that are not clean burning like the ones here in the US? What about volcanoes? What about wild fires?
The fact is that the earth temp fluctuates as a normal cycle. We are an insignificant dot on the timeline of the history of the earth. To think that we can change the earth temp is ignorant. What warmed the earth up after the last ice age? 2-stroke Eskimo sleds?
Gore is a whack-job with an agenda and he is a joke. Don't fall into his trap. If we do all the shit he says we should, we will be left in the dust by the 3rd world manufacturers who will not abide by the clean air regs and produce goods for far cheaper than we could ever attain. Not only are we fighting cheap labor but also an unfair playing field with regard to environmental regulation. We are already the most environmentally conscious major industrial nation in the world by choice. If we tighten the noose any farther we will wither up and die. Open your eyes, don't believe everything you hear. I suppose you enjoyed and buy into Fahrenheit 911 also.

Freak
07-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Carbon put into the earth's atmosphere from fossil fuels is not a part of the evolved carbon cycle, its in addtion to it. 70% of the earth's C02 to O2 conversion takes place in the oceans by phyto-plankton.
I KNOW climate change is almost certainly inevitable, but curtailing emissions of greenhouse gases and planning methods for adapting may lessen the impact, such as sea levels could rise, threatening low-lying coastal areas; agricultural crop yields could rise early in the warming process but then sharply decline; and changes in precipitation, particularly in the western mountain ranges, could make it difficult to capture water in reservoirs.
If anthropogenic emissions are the major cause of climate change, as appears very likely, then the damage caused will not be remedied in less than 300 years, even if we stop all emissions today. The gases don't disappear overnight. It will take centuries for CO2 equilibrium to be restored. As for PFCs, they have an atmospheric residence time of TENS OF THOUSANDS of years, so a tonne emitted today may still have 400-500 kg remaining in the atmosphere 10,000 years from now. OK, I admit they represent only 2-3% of the overall GHG effect, but the atmospheric loading is of PFCs is increasing daily. How do you explain to your great^400-grandchildren that you were the cause of such emissions that will still affect them?
According to Discover Magazine, a recently-released Pentagon-comissioned study decided that climate change "should be elevated beyond the level of scientific debate and to that of a national security concern" (owing to rising sea levels).
Are manmade emissions responsible? Almost certainly. A recent sampling of ice cores in Antarctica found that every warming phase in history was accompanied by a spike in CO2- and CO2 levels are at their highest in 24 million years (380 ppm). Though there are certainly other culprits, such as logging and clearing, which disrupts the negative feedback loop that usually results from elevated levels of CO2.
So you would rather continue to poison the ground/water/air until we live in one giant sh*t hole? Just to stay competive? Where we cant eat seafood - mercury -(if any is left to catch) the air chokes you and the ground can't grow food. What about future generations?
Gore does have an agenda and he is no wack job. To save the planet...What is wrong with that? I am sure we both can agree that polution is a problem. You give no solutions only that we need to stay the course in which future generations might consider you the wack job. We have to change.
What if the U.S. started the change, got a handle on things and then we would be in the lead when the rest of the world HAD to follow? The change will have to happen so why not get a jump on it? Be the frontrunner....
This "system" is not set up for sustainability. It's setup for $profit$. In the end we will pay the price if we stay the course.

Cas
07-19-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm kind of on the fence on this issue but we still do what we can to our part. Did ole Al show pictures of Elsinore? If not, pics of that place will sway anyone's opinion :D

SummerBreeze
07-19-2006, 06:54 AM
I never really liked Al Gore. He may have some points in his movie. I have thought about seeing the movie.
Is the earth somewhat self cleaning??
Here in the U.S. we have been working on the fact of doing our part to clean up our side of the fence.
But what about the rest of the world??
Some of the garbage that I see in the Lakes seems to be the worst ever.

Jbb
07-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Carbon put into the earth's atmosphere from fossil fuels is not a part of the evolved carbon cycle, its in addtion to it. 70% of the earth's C02 to O2 conversion takes place in the oceans by phyto-plankton.
I KNOW climate change is almost certainly inevitable, but curtailing emissions of greenhouse gases and planning methods for adapting may lessen the impact, such as sea levels could rise, threatening low-lying coastal areas; agricultural crop yields could rise early in the warming process but then sharply decline; and changes in precipitation, particularly in the western mountain ranges, could make it difficult to capture water in reservoirs.
If anthropogenic emissions are the major cause of climate change, as appears very likely, then the damage caused will not be remedied in less than 300 years, even if we stop all emissions today. The gases don't disappear overnight. It will take centuries for CO2 equilibrium to be restored. As for PFCs, they have an atmospheric residence time of TENS OF THOUSANDS of years, so a tonne emitted today may still have 400-500 kg remaining in the atmosphere 10,000 years from now. OK, I admit they represent only 2-3% of the overall GHG effect, but the atmospheric loading is of PFCs is increasing daily. How do you explain to your great^400-grandchildren that you were the cause of such emissions that will still affect them?
According to Discover Magazine, a recently-released Pentagon-comissioned study decided that climate change "should be elevated beyond the level of scientific debate and to that of a national security concern" (owing to rising sea levels).
Are manmade emissions responsible? Almost certainly. A recent sampling of ice cores in Antarctica found that every warming phase in history was accompanied by a spike in CO2- and CO2 levels are at their highest in 24 million years (380 ppm). Though there are certainly other culprits, such as logging and clearing, which disrupts the negative feedback loop that usually results from elevated levels of CO2.
So you would rather continue to poison the ground/water/air until we live in one giant sh*t hole? Just to stay competive? Where we cant eat seafood - mercury -(if any is left to catch) the air chokes you and the ground can't grow food. What about future generations?
Gore does have an agenda and he is no wack job. To save the planet...What is wrong with that? I am sure we both can agree that polution is a problem. You give no solutions only that we need to stay the course in which future generations might consider you the wack job. We have to change.
What if the U.S. started the change, got a handle on things and then we would be in the lead when the rest of the world HAD to follow? The change will have to happen so why not get a jump on it? Be the frontrunner....
This "system" is not set up for sustainability. It's setup for $profit$. In the end we will pay the price if we stay the course.
So Im guessing O/T exhaust is out of the question for you......what with it being all ....noisey ....and shit...... :p

cdog
07-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I can't wait till his next movie............The Hunt for Bigfoot....... :)

Tom Brown
07-19-2006, 07:22 AM
I'd like to see the movie but I'm going to wait until it comes to the theater two blocks from my house. I really don't want to drive across town.

patsbrothel
07-19-2006, 07:28 AM
F***K GORE and his stupid ass movie you should go to Hot Sail Boats.com

jh4rt
07-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Mutate or die!
Oh yah... and F* Al Gore... tell him to go get a job!

Outnumbered
07-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Tell us how you really feel, Mr. O :D
:D, hit a nerve I guess

Outnumbered
07-19-2006, 07:39 AM
What if the U.S. started the change, got a handle on things and then we would be in the lead when the rest of the world HAD to follow? The change will have to happen so why not get a jump on it? Be the frontrunner...
We already are and not too many are following.

Schiada76
07-19-2006, 07:42 AM
cheers
Uhh yeah, the threat is real all right. That's why in the 70's the same faggot assed tree hugging bark eaters were running around screaming we were causing the next ice age. GLOBAL COOLING! GLOBAL COOLING!!!!! Run away! Run away!
You're insane. :220v: :yuk:

centerhill condor
07-19-2006, 07:49 AM
I thought it was an informercial for A.G. and his political career. He'll keep up this as long as a camera crew is present. I didn't understand how pictures of him as a boy related to global warming? Is it his fault and now he wants to repent by using the rule of law to make me change to sails from the bbc?
I went to a small southern school in Starkville Mississippi and there are seashells under the ground from when most of the state was under the ocean millions of years ago.
The democrats didn't put the shells there or did they? There's more CO2 in limestone than in the atmosphere? How'd it get there? Most of these things happened when lizards ruled the earth. How 'bout we let the lizards take back over 'cause we not doing it right?
In the 70's the DOD was worried that the Russians would cause trouble because it was too cold for their winter wheat crop. The 1970's.
Now fully 10% of the increase in agricultural production of the last 100 years can be credited to increased CO2 levels.
and we're about 500,000 years overdue for an ice age.
If you pay me 1.2 mil/year I'll be an engineer/scientist in your video saying it is because we're "insert phrase that pays here".
Every weekend the TV shows these horrific images of starvation in Africa. It wasn't always that way. They once had lush forests and excellent farm land. Well the tempurature shifted now they can't grow enough. Gonna happen here one day and all the A.G.'s can't save us.
This is a natural cycle being hijacked by people that know nothing other than how to use the politics of fear for their own gain. and because the world is in the balance they get a chance to be God. Think about it... we're gonna change everything we do and it won't make a measureable difference for 300-400 years... give me a break! They don't have to be right and can't be proven wrong!
Presumably, mankind will have colonized some of the other planets in that time frame and A.G.'s offsrping will be telling you to come back so your offspring can worship his ghost.
If A.G. had won Tennessee we wouldn't be having this discussion. I'm looking to the lizards for leadership back to the good old days. go geko!

Outnumbered
07-19-2006, 08:04 AM
...So you would rather continue to poison the ground/water/air until we live in one giant sh*t hole? Just to stay competive? Where we cant eat seafood - mercury -(if any is left to catch) the air chokes you and the ground can't grow food. What about future generations?...
Nope. I'm actually pretty concerned for the environment. In fact my friends and family that know how conservative I am think its funny how I always pick up trash when we are out hiking or boating. I always bring back more that I leave. I focking hate polluters/litterers.
My concern lies with 3rd world nations far more than our own. We are the most environmentally conscious industrial nation in the world. We are doing our part. We are not perfect but we are far better than China, Russia, India, Mexico, etc.
Gore has the typically liberal solution. Keep adding to the beaurocracy so he feels good/looks good about all the good-intentioned red tape he has created for the US while the other nations ignore it.
My solution? I'm not an expert but I would say: Continue to self-police by coming up with cleaner ways to manufacture and produce based on current laws. Don't make new laws so restrictive that they take away our competitive edge. Continue to be an environmentally conscious nation while remaining competitive. Possibly pressure other nations to COME UP TO OUR CURRENT standards of emissions and pollution thru some type of trade incentive program. Greenpeace can be the watchdog. That way they can save some money by not spending their time crashing their boats into whaling ships:D
Competition is one big contributor to what made this country what it is today. If we loose that we fail, period. If Gore gets his way, we will be one big happy-green-clean-nation for a few good years before we go down the toilet.

centerhill condor
07-19-2006, 08:16 AM
I was picking up trash in the neighborhood yesterday morning. It was a great day for bucket and gloves... so this one guy who cleans out his car in the driveway cans, wrappers, etc... found a $10 bill by his mailbox! How 'bout that!

Schiada76
07-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Just another quick thought for all you global warming/cooling tree hugging hippie freak faggots.
Just how fcking long has oil been the major energy source used by humans?
Even in this country far less than 100 years, if you imbeciles think that has affected the planets climate you're on crack.
Idiots :mad:

spectratoad
07-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Everything we can do for less pollution is great and it certainly can't hurt. Other than that F*&* Al Gore. :mad:

axkiker
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
give me all the global warming you can throw. Im hopeing to wake up one day with ocean front property.
so lets all go burn a tire

Goodtime$
07-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the 2cents. Im not saying im an eco freak, but i have a V8 Car, ive always had high performance boats, my father ran one of the largerst earth moving companies in California, but one thing i do know is the new technology coming out is a great thing. I live on the beach and i see the changes, i just wanted to express my opinion on the film and what i took from it.
My point was not to back Al Gore, but to see the movie. It had some interesting facts and can open some new ideas.
Hybrids are a good thing.
Indmar Marine came out with exhaust manifolds with catalytic converters in them, that is a good thing.
4 stroke outboards and the new 300XS outboards are a good thing etc.
That was my point.

Schiada76
07-19-2006, 09:31 AM
"Facts" from Algore cannot hardly be taken for truth. It's pure propaganda. :rolleyes:
If those herds of asshats were honest they'd be pushing nuclear power for all they're worth. They're not because that has nothing to do with thier true agenda.

LakeTrash
07-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Funny thing is ole Al is still flying in private jets and riding in limos to get to his next gig to tell all of us the sky is falling.
How can anybody believe a word that comes out of a professional politicians mouth is just beyond me.
LT

572Daytona
07-19-2006, 09:35 AM
I wanted to attend the grand opening premier of the movie with all of the other celebs that arrived there by limo. And gore is certainly doing his part jetting around the country promoting the movie. :rolleyes:
Pretty soon Brown will be able to have more than a 2 week boating season so I'm sure he's all for global warming.

jh4rt
07-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Nope. I'm actually pretty concerned for the environment. In fact my friends and family that know how conservative I am think its funny how I always pick up trash when we are out hiking or boating. I always bring back more that I leave. I focking hate polluters/litterers.
I'm with you! I picked up no less than 3 cans out of the river this last weekend. My son asked why and I told him it was because it was "OUR" river. But.....
We are a speck of dust. Act locally, but remember that when someone pays to have a movie made, it is propaganda. I'm still running and just rebuilt my carbuereted Merc 200. Sorry to say, the others have big problems. The first problem? I put a whole new powerhead in my merc for about $5k. A new 200 e-tec or optimax? $20k before it is done. Why? Because the government made everyone toe the line. Why? Because everytime you finance something new, the fed gets the money...eventually. It is all tied together and to their benefit.
All I'm saying... be as clean and cool as you want, because you want to, but these "junk scientists" are just that. Don't ever forget that Adolph Hitler was one of our first environmentalists.

SHOTKALLIN
07-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Make a hybrid Denali that can do everything my Denali does for the same price and I will buy it. Make a Corvette one too. If they really wanted to save the world they would already be making them. How are you gonna get anyone other than an eco freak to buy an overpriced Prius?
Destroying the Amazon rainforest which creates most of earths oxygen is whats hurting the ozone layer. It has nothing to do with a few boats in Havasu
Just my .02

Freak
07-19-2006, 11:50 AM
The argument is over fellas. Non scientists calling scientists junk scientists.... I love it...LOL...
Lets quote some junk scientists.....
Global Warming Discrepancy Resolved
3 MAY 2006
Simulations of the temperature change due to all forcings. Source: USCCP
Climate scientists have resolved a discrepancy in the rate of global average temperature increase for the surface compared with higher levels in the atmosphere, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
This discrepancy had previously been used to challenge the validity of climate models used to detect and attribute the causes of observed climate change.
The report from the US Climate Change Science Program—Temperature Trends in the Lower Atmosphere: Steps for Understanding and Reconciling Differences—corrects errors that have been identified in the satellite data and other temperature observations.
Specifically, surface data had showed substantial global-average warming, while early versions of satellite and radiosonde data showed little or no warming above the surface. The team identified and corrected the errors in the satellite and radiosonde data. Furthermore, new data sets do not show such discrepancies.
Discrepancies between the data sets and the models have been reduced and our understanding of observed climate changes and their causes have increased. The evidence continues to support a substantial human impact on global temperature increases. This should constitute a valuable source of information to policymakers. —Chief Editor Thomas Karl, director of the NOAA National Climatic Data Center -
The report, the first of 21 such Synthesis and Assessment (S&A) reports to be issued by the Climate Change Science Program, states that for recent decades, all current atmospheric data sets now show global-average warming that is similar to the surface warming.
The published report also states that research to detect climate change and attribute its causes using patterns of observed temperature change in space and time shows clear evidence of human influences on the climate system due to changes in greenhouse gases, aerosols and stratospheric ozone.
The observed patterns of change over the past 50 years cannot be explained by natural processes alone, nor by the effects of short-lived atmospheric constituents such as aerosols and tropospheric ozone alone.
One issue does remain, however, and that is related to the rates of warming in the tropics. Here, models and theory predict an amplification of surface warming higher in the atmosphere. However, this greater warming aloft is not evident in three of the five observational data sets used in the report. Whether this is a result of uncertainties in the observed data, flaws in climate models, or a combination of these is not yet known.
Katrina as a CAT-5 hurricane, the day before it slammed into the Gulf Coast. Credit: NOAA
Separately, NOAA scientists reported that the region of the tropical Atlantic where many hurricanes originate has warmed by several tenths of a degree Celsius over the 20th century. New climate model simulations suggest that human activity, such as increasing greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere, may contribute significantly to this warming.
This very long-term increase in temperature may seem small but is comparable in magnitude to shorter time-scale, multi-decadal changes that many scientists now believe contribute strongly to an increase in hurricane activity in the Atlantic.
The challenge is to understand the relative roles of anthropogenic and natural factors in producing these temperature changes—and this study is a step in that direction—and then to determine whether and how these long-term changes in temperature could be affecting Atlantic hurricane activity.
—Thomas Knutson, NOAA Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
The region—known as the Main Development Region—extends from 10 degrees N to 20 degrees N in the area of the Cape Verde Islands, and has been identified as the origin for a large portion of major hurricanes in the tropical North Atlantic.
Ocean surface temperatures in this region warmed over the 20th century, roughly tracking the global mean, or average, but this region has greater multi-decadal variability than the global mean does when looking at long-term trends.
The climate model simulations are based on a new state-of-the-art coupled atmosphere-ocean model developed over several years at GFDL. The new simulations include improved representations of a number of environmental factors that can affect climate, such as greenhouse gases, volcanic eruptions, solar variability, land-use changes and atmospheric aerosols, very fine particulate matter in the air. More research is being conducted to improve the representation of these forcings, and of the aerosol effects in particular.
The new model simulations used current best estimates of a number of historical climate forcings to simulate climate variations over the 20th century. In the Main Development Region, the observed warming during the 20th century is simulated much more realistically in the models that include anthropogenic forcing than in models with only natural effects.
The results suggest that the century-scale warming tendency in the Main Development Region may have been caused largely by anthropogenic forcing, including increases in atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations.
Other sources of anthropogenic forcing include aerosols and land-use changes. Examples of natural effects are volcanic emissions, long-term variability of solar radiation, and internal variability, such as the internal processes within the climate system.
The day prior to these announcements, NOAA had released the Annual Greenhouse Gas Index (AGGI), showing a global steady rise in the amount of heat-trapping greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

rodnjen
07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
We can't burry out heads in the sand forever, we need to take the right steps toward preservation of our resources. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
We have an "acting" President that threatens to veto stem cell research, but he is willing to sacrifice and harm thousands of lives for oil. I think we elected the wrong man, twice.

572Daytona
07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
I know, let's grind up human embryo's and use them for alternative fuel and stem cells. That way we can kill 2 babies, er birds with one stone.

Sleek-Jet
07-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Very few of the countries that signed the Kyoto Treaty (which we didn't) have even come close to reducing their green house gas emissions to the levels they pledged, if any at all. And with the first bench mark coming up soon (2008 I think), most are saying that they are at least 10 to 15 years behind in getting to that point.
Dennis Miller once said, "Maybe we could take these people seriously if every other Lincoln Navigator didn't have an "Earth First!" bumber sticker on it... :rolleyes: :idea: "
If you want to put the skids on CO2 emmisions, everyone needs to stop building coal fired power plants, throw away your VHS copy of "China Syndrome", embrace the fact that it's been 30 years since Three Mile Island and start building Nukes again...

Schiada76
07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
We have an "acting" President that threatens to veto stem cell research, but he is willing to sacrifice and harm thousands of lives for oil. I think we elected the wrong man, twice.[/QUOTE]
Get your facts straight.
GW just isn't going to FUND FETAL stem cell research with federal (read MINE) tax dollars. :rolleyes:
There is just a tiny little moral dilema with cloning human embyros just to use them for research don't 'ya think?
Private sector can still do all the stem cell research they want, including FETAL stem cell. Just the way it should be.

Outnumbered
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Sorry guys...what was I thinking. Its Bush's fault that we have global warming. Damn, if I would have voted Gore and Kerry we would be living in a peaceful green bliss :rolleyes:

centerhill condor
07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
yea, get your facts straight... you make your own stem cells every day. That is how people get bone marrow transplants, etc. "W" is still the stem cell research funding president. They're plenty available from cord blood and your own. The point once again is political not scientific. Like this oil thing... the only two countries in the middle east that produce no oil are fighting and the price goes up? Greed knows no national boundary.
Some of you may be old enough to remember when salt was good for you then bad then good then bad. Eat no fat...Eat all the fat you want. All based upon "factual scientific" research. Your body must have salt and fat.
This Kyoto treaty... just another way to extort money from the U.S. for making the world such a bad place. See it for what it is another income redistribution scheme. We have the money and they want it.
Ozone is another animal by itself. I sold ozone machines for a couple of years. Mankind has only able to measure atmospheric ozone for about the last 60 years. How much is suppossed to be there? We have no way to know. In '57 they discovered a thinner layer above antartica. How many of you had CFCs then? very few.
Ozone is an oxidizer like chlorine gas... only 27 times more potent. Ozone is second to flourine gas in oxidizing potential. So it combines with everything; chlorine compounds, paint, skin, you name it ozone will combine with it. Everything is an ozone depleting compound, literally.
On the other hand, it is made continuusly by UV radiation acting on oxygen or anytime there's a spark you've just made ozone. You can't inhibit ozone production. The atmospheric production of ozone consumes some of the UV energy produced by the sun.
As for cfcs... I worked at a couple of chemical plants that produced the most ozone depleting compounds. The smallest facility generated 35 million pounds of the one compound annually. We produced several other cfcs as well. There were dozens of plants all over the country that dwarfed our plants by comparison. Cfcs are giant molecules much heavier than air and yet somehow they find their way into the upper atmosphere?
During the cold war the DOD had a plan to put cfcs into the upper atmosphere over the USSR. The plan was to UV overdose the russians before the ozone layer recovered to protect us.
I found it a little more than coincidental that the dupont patents on the compounds expired right about the time they were outlawed. So, no "generic" refrigerant for us. That new 134 cfc gas in your a/c is a cancer causer.... The old cfc were/are used in inhalant treatments for asthma. The problem with the foam on the shuttle is due to a foam process that is cfc free. I could go on for a while...
Mankind knows so much and yet so little. Today's scientific darling is tomorrow's demon... people used to love hexavalent chrome now not so much! who knows tomorrow maybe a cure for the common moron! We'll know in about 400 years. the pendelum swings both ways and the policitcal machine makes money on every stroke!

yeehaw
07-19-2006, 03:07 PM
My point was not to back Al Gore, but to see the movie. It had some interesting facts and can open some new ideas.
You are supporting Gore if you watch the movie. Don't do it.

BajaMike
07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Goodtime$
"My point was not to back Al Gore, but to see the movie. It had some interesting facts and can open some new ideas."
:220v:
The movie is total propaganda.... :idea:
Most of the "interesting facts" and pictures have been proven to be faked and/or false.
Remember, Al Gore also said he invented the Internet..... :argue:
:rollside:

Tom Brown
07-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I wonder if Riodog has seen the movie? :idea:

Mandelon
07-19-2006, 03:58 PM
The world isn't going to stop using fossil fuels until they get too expensive and alternative fuels get cheaper.
So.....a way to remove the airborne pollutants and gasses needs to be developed. They can put a man on the moon........they ought to be able to recapture a bunch of silly old CO2..... :cool:

jh4rt
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
The argument is over fellas. Non scientists calling scientists junk scientists.... I love it...LOL...
3 MAY 2006
Climate scientists have resolved a discrepancy in the rate of global average temperature increase for the surface compared with higher levels in the atmosphere, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
This discrepancy had previously been used to challenge the validity of climate models used to detect and attribute the causes of observed climate change.
The report from the US Climate Change Science Program—Temperature Trends in the Lower Atmosphere: Steps for Understanding and Reconciling Differences—corrects errors that have been identified in the satellite data and other temperature observations.
Specifically, surface data had showed substantial global-average warming, while early versions of satellite and radiosonde data showed little or no warming above the surface. The team identified and corrected the errors in the satellite and radiosonde data. Furthermore, new data sets do not show such discrepancies.
Discrepancies between the data sets and the models have been reduced and our understanding of observed climate changes and their causes have increased. The evidence continues to support a substantial human impact on global temperature increases. This should constitute a valuable source of information to policymakers. —Chief Editor Thomas Karl, director of the NOAA National Climatic Data Center -
The report, the first of 21 such Synthesis and Assessment (S&A) reports to be issued by the Climate Change Science Program, states that for recent decades, all current atmospheric data sets now show global-average warming that is similar to the surface warming.
The published report also states that research to detect climate change and attribute its causes using patterns of observed temperature change in space and time shows clear evidence of human influences on the climate system due to changes in greenhouse gases, aerosols and stratospheric ozone.
The observed patterns of change over the past 50 years cannot be explained by natural processes alone, nor by the effects of short-lived atmospheric constituents such as aerosols and tropospheric ozone alone.
One issue does remain, however, and that is related to the rates of warming in the tropics. Here, models and theory predict an amplification of surface warming higher in the atmosphere. However, this greater warming aloft is not evident in three of the five observational data sets used in the report. Whether this is a result of uncertainties in the observed data, flaws in climate models, or a combination of these is not yet known.
Katrina as a CAT-5 hurricane, the day before it slammed into the Gulf Coast. Credit: NOAA
Separately, NOAA scientists reported that the region of the tropical Atlantic where many hurricanes originate has warmed by several tenths of a degree Celsius over the 20th century. New climate model simulations suggest that human activity, such as increasing greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere, may contribute significantly to this warming.
This very long-term increase in temperature may seem small but is comparable in magnitude to shorter time-scale, multi-decadal changes that many scientists now believe contribute strongly to an increase in hurricane activity in the Atlantic.
The challenge is to understand the relative roles of anthropogenic and natural factors in producing these temperature changes—and this study is a step in that direction—and then to determine whether and how these long-term changes in temperature could be affecting Atlantic hurricane activity.
The region—known as the Main Development Region—extends from 10 degrees N to 20 degrees N in the area of the Cape Verde Islands, and has been identified as the origin for a large portion of major hurricanes in the tropical North Atlantic.
Ocean surface temperatures in this region warmed over the 20th century, roughly tracking the global mean, or average, but this region has greater multi-decadal variability than the global mean does when looking at long-term trends.
The climate model simulations are based on a new state-of-the-art coupled atmosphere-ocean model developed over several years at GFDL. The new simulations include improved representations of a number of environmental factors that can affect climate, such as greenhouse gases, volcanic eruptions, solar variability, land-use changes and atmospheric aerosols, very fine particulate matter in the air. More research is being conducted to improve the representation of these forcings, and of the aerosol effects in particular.
The new model simulations used current best estimates of a number of historical climate forcings to simulate climate variations over the 20th century. In the Main Development Region, the observed warming during the 20th century is simulated much more realistically in the models that include anthropogenic forcing than in models with only natural effects.
The results suggest that the century-scale warming tendency in the Main Development Region may have been caused largely by anthropogenic forcing, including increases in atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations.
Other sources of anthropogenic forcing include aerosols and land-use changes. Examples of natural effects are volcanic emissions, long-term variability of solar radiation, and internal variability, such as the internal processes within the climate system.
The day prior to these announcements, NOAA had released the Annual Greenhouse Gas Index (AGGI), showing a global steady rise in the amount of heat-trapping greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
NOAA -- UMMMM Who the f### pays for that organization? Oh yeah.. the government... silly me...
I like this quote the best:
"New climate model simulations suggest that human activity, such as increasing greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere, may contribute significantly to this warming."
SUGGEST !!!!!!!
MAY !!!!
pretty conclusive if you ask me. And just think about how many variables that exist in nature they were able to eliminate in their model. You're right, it's a good test. When are you turning in your car? Who are we going to get to shovel horse sh*t on freeways?

buzzaro
07-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Theres truth to be found on both sides of this argument. Total disregard for the environment isnt going to help us (people living on the planet) any more than eating grapenuts will.

Schiada76
07-19-2006, 05:40 PM
3 MAY 2006
So then bright boy what caused global warming around the time of the industrial revolution???
I know, It was George Bush wasn't it??? Well wasn't it? He's Jack the Ripper too. :rolleyes:

centerhill condor
07-20-2006, 03:59 AM
As I understand it... this has more to do with the '00 election than anything.
If A.G. is such a great leader where was he during B.C.'s moment of doubt and shame? Doing nothing. A.G. had his chance to demonstrate his real leadership when he stood behind, way behind, B.C. A.G. coulda, woulda, shoulda took the reigns and sent old slick willy home. A second term would be a certainty. I would have his picture in the living room.
Or where the stakes just not high enough? Me thinks that going along with a lie to get elected once is an indicater of future behavior... here's your inconvenient truth!
As for the CO2 problem... most of you are correct. We don't want to end up like mars.. shrouded in frozen CO2. Nuclear provides a non carbon based production of power. And we've come a long way baby on plant design. The world is awash in fissile material... so fuel is not an issue. Nuclear's big problem; Jimmy Carter. As President he signed an executive order outlawing the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel. Yea, he outlawed recycling, go figure. The stroke of a pen can remedy this problem. Again the problem is political not technical.
Coal plants can be modified, at considerable expense, to convert CO2 emissions into limestone (CaCO3). This makes coal much cleaner but less efficient than today.
I could copy/paste endless scientific articles to support my claims. But then, what's the point of having an education? or free thought? Ya'll have your own intellect and good ideas. That's what makes this country great.
We'll outgrow this "technological adolescence" but we'll never rid ourselves of the fear mongering politician until it works no more. the new chant... no more al gore no more al gore...'tis better than zieg hiel!

rodnjen
07-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Seems to me that the movie has done its job. A bunch of people are talking about something that they would ordinarily never talk about. Debates on global warming are endless and abstract. However, the immediate problem of polution and reliance on fossil fuels are a little more concievable. We need to take greater responsibility for the preservation of natural resources and condition of our environment.
That being said, I'm still going to the lake this weekend and will ski, wakeboard, drink beer and spend quality time with my family.