PDA

View Full Version : Mounting question for head unit

496mag
07-19-2006, 12:19 AM
I have a 22' semi V hull and it pounds on the chop. I am breaking head units from this shock and its because the headunit is not secured in the back with anything except the support strap and that still allows wiggle room. I would secure to something else but I dont think there is anything else to secure it with. has anyone else had this problem and come up with a good solution for it?

T-56
07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Can you give us a pic of the dash from the outside and one from the inside looking at the back or side of the head unit? It'll make it easier for us to help.

h2oski2fast
07-19-2006, 11:16 AM
The more secure (solid) the head unit is mounted the better it can take the pounding. It definately needs to be back strapped. You may need to silicone or glass a piece of wood to the underside of the deck and screw the backstrap to that.

T-56
07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I wanted to see some pics B4 I said that. But if you have that option, by all means duit.

496mag
07-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I Might have the ability to do this but I will have to look again when I get back to storage and I will take my camera as well.

ROZ
07-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I think there was a guy on the boards who went by "franky" who makes a billet mounting system.. It looked pretty stout..

h2oski2fast
07-20-2006, 01:53 AM
I think there was a guy on the boards who went by "franky" who makes a billet mounting system.. It looked pretty stout..
Still needs a back strap.
Come on Chris???????? You know better?

ROZ
07-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Still needs a back strap.
Come on Chris???????? You know better?
Oh yes it does... From what I remember, this unit has either metal sides, top, or bottom that go back pretty far..beyond the back of the head unit, so there's something to strap it to... Also, I think the bezel mounted through bolted to the dash very securely as to not allow any shift ...
Other than that, glassing a piece of wood to the deck is a best bet :D
Heck , you could even counter sink a carriage bolt into the wood exposing just the threads so you have a through bolt location to mount your strap to ;)

syke-o
07-20-2006, 10:59 AM
yeah i have a 22' and the pounding knocks the shit out of my system too.. the head unit has fallen out a few times.. i now have it strapped with some metal strapping material... it still isnt the best though... it seems every weekend i take the boat out something gets broken or wiggles loose..... :skull: