PDA

View Full Version : Pair arrested under new rule released

H20Advantage
07-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Pair arrested under new rule released...Folks please stay tuned for the next episode of, As the world turns around Havasu. :p :p
BY MICHAEL HAYS
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:34 PM MDT
There has been some confusion in Lake Havasu City over the exact enforceable date of a new ordinance, resulting in the dropping of charges against two men.
As reported Tuesday, police arrested two people this past weekend under the new ordinance entitled “Offensive Conduct in Public Places,” one for urinating on a car and the other for using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated.
The major problem with those arrests is the ordinance was not to take effect until 30 days after its official public posting - a time that has not arrived yet.
The ordinance, voted for by all seven members of City Council, will apply to all public places, not just Bridgewater Channel and Lake Havasu. It essentially will give officers greater flexibility with arresting people under a single city ordinance. Indecent exposure, public intoxication, violent acts, and abusive or obscene language all fall under this law.
According to both Charlie Cassens, city spokesman, and the City Clerk's office, the ordinance will take effect August 18, which will be 30 days after posting.
In a memo circulated to media outlets, Cassens writes, “Regrettably, the officers were unaware of the delay in the effective date of the ordinance, and made the arrests citing a section of the Code that had been formally adopted by City Council [on July 11], but had not yet taken effect. Although both of the offenses could have been charged under other provisions of the Code, the charges will be withdrawn because they were charged under a currently invalid Section.”Charges against the two men will not be re-filed under already existing laws, said Captain Carl Peterson of the Lake Havasu City Police Department.
Joaquin Mendoza, 28, of Los Angeles, was charged under the new ordinance for allegedly urinated on a car on the 1400 block of Queens Bay.
Early Monday morning, police arrested Brian Bilodeau, 23, of Lake Havasu City under the new ordinance for allegedly “using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated,” at a bar on McCulloch Boulevard.
The new ordinance reads, in part, “prohibiting individuals who are intoxicated, and/or who are violent, seriously disruptive, unreasonably loud, or who utter abusive, obscene or offensive language, or engage in indecent exposure, remaining in any public place.”
Mayor Harvey Jackson, speaking at the July 11 council meeting when the ordinance passed, said, “Its practical use is to intercept people before they may violate state statute.”
Violators could be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor - the highest degree of misdemeanor - punishable with a fine up to $2,500 and/or a prison sentence not to exceed six months. The impetus behind the new ordinance can be traced back to Memorial Day weekend. During a May 30 meeting, Police Chief Dan Doyle told councilmembers that the officers' job would be easier if the groups causing problems and inciting others could be forced to leave the area.
On Tuesday, police reports reveled a third arrest on the not-yet-effective ordinance. Chris Bardett, 23, of Lake Havasu City, allegedly yelled and banged on a front door of a residence on Arapaho Drive while intoxicated Monday. Police later found Bardett to be in possession of drug paraphernalia. Section 9.12.070, “Offenses in Public Places” is cited in the arrest report.
It is not known at this time if his charge will be dropped as well.

Mardonzi
07-19-2006, 06:09 AM
The new ordinance reads, in part, “prohibiting individuals who are intoxicated, and/or who are violent, seriously disruptive, unreasonably loud, or who utter abusive, obscene or offensive language, or engage in indecent exposure, remaining in any public place.”
What about this statement seems unconstitutional???
Sounds like LHC better be prepared for some lawsuits

CHEETAH24
07-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Mayor Harvey Jackson, speaking at the July 11 council meeting when the ordinance passed, said, “Its practical use is to intercept people before they may violate state statute.”
Gotta love it..go to jail before you commit a crime.

centerhill condor
07-19-2006, 06:23 AM
so there's no $$ split with the state? easy money! When they're drunk and peeing on your car can't you just beat 'em up and send 'em home with the bumpy face?

Jordy
07-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Wow. :notam:

Biglue
07-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Why is Harvey the mayor in LHC??? Does this guy have a clue? :rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
07-19-2006, 08:36 AM
I thinks it's interesting that you can swear and flip people off while sober, but blow a .08 and you're headed to the pokey...
I'll take someone who knows how to swear when they are drunk versus somone who's never sworn before and is sober... :D :D :D

Kachina26
07-19-2006, 08:43 AM
The new ordinance reads, in part, “prohibiting individuals who are intoxicated, and/or who are violent, seriously disruptive, unreasonably loud, or who utter abusive, obscene or offensive language, or engage in indecent exposure, remaining in any public place.” Utter???? So, not scream or be an idiot about it? Merely utter a curse word and you go to jail? Holy fock. Ooops......

Jordy
07-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Holy fock. Ooops......
I think you're safe. "No officer, I didn't say f uck, I said FOCK, I'd never say f uck, no f ucking way would I ever f ucking say f uck!!!" ;) :D
And that your honor, is how I ended up in front of you. :D :D :D

Biglue
07-19-2006, 08:47 AM
So if Jordy takes down a PWC'r between his sponsoons and I yell "great focking job" and hold up a beer, I can get busted under this new ordinance? :idea: :D

JetBoatRich
07-19-2006, 09:16 AM
sounds like they got lucky :rolleyes: at least the guy who pissed on someones car :yuk:

h2oski2fast
07-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Hasn't peeing on a car always been against the law? It is in CA.
It is in Mexico too.
He wasn't sited for that though. He was sited under the new statute which did not exist when he was arrested. Damn, the cops don't even know the rules and when they are in effect. Way too much subjective judgement is given to the LEO.

novaguy
07-19-2006, 11:24 AM
I can't see how using offensive language in a public place is going to stand up in court. I guess it's good pc for the officers, but c'mon now.....with a good liberal attorney, that law will be reversed and unenforcible (my thought).