PDA

View Full Version : It tips on getting "bowl end cap" out of a 12jc...

YeLLowBoaT
07-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Since I won't be going to work today 'til after lucnh... I was wondering any tricks on getting this thing out??? I can't seem to get it to unskrew. I tried takin a wrench to the skrew dirver, even with a cheater bar I can't get it to break free.
So other any ideas?
Already tried the penatraiting oil...
The pump has not been run for 17 years so every thing has been a PITA ass to get off.
Hell to replace the u- joints in the drive line I had to use a press. even the 3 lb would not make them budge.

CMZRACING
07-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Get Out The Map Gas! Heat That Sucker Up!

CARLSON-JET
07-19-2006, 12:00 PM
i MADE A LARGE SCREWDRIVER FROM AN OLD FLAT AIR CHISEL. THEN i GROUND 6 SIDES ON THE EXPANDED PART OF THE SHANK TO FIT INSIDE A SOCKET. ( IMPACT FOR EXTRA STRENGTH) oops caps lock. :crossx: I use a 3/8 drive butterfly impact back and forth and some heat. also plenty of penetrating oil. the butterfly impact always does wonders on all the frozen pump parts that are small using less then 40 lbs of air or having it adjusted down to light impact. good luck.. gotta love the frozen parts. :220v:

squirt'nmyload
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
i beat mine with a BFH a couple times and it broke loose

skipr
07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Fire wrench and a BFH worked for mine. :hammer2: :hammer2:

speed freak
07-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I used an Air Hammer. Worked GREAT!!!!

El Prosecutor
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
i MADE A LARGE SCREWDRIVER FROM AN OLD FLAT AIR CHISEL.
I made one out of a very large metal file. Wrapped a rag around it just in case it shattered and put a large crescent wrench to it. The rough surface grips the slot in the bowl cap great.

shaun
07-19-2006, 11:21 PM
I couldnt get mine out so i left it to jack at MPD when i droped the bowl off to be converted to a split bowl.

stompnstang
07-20-2006, 11:59 AM
what was the cost to convert it to a split vs finding a split bowl some where i am looking to convert my jc

loudpipessavelives
07-20-2006, 05:29 PM
BFH does the job!

YeLLowBoaT
07-21-2006, 05:13 AM
:mad:
I broke a "flat bar" pry bark
I took a old bit of 2" heavy wall sqaure tuping and drilled it so that I could mount it the bowl. I then clamped that in my vise.
I then heated up the bowl.
I took the flat bar and hooked up my vise grips too it. I took a old piece of steel pipe that was about 4 ft long and stuck it on the end of the vise grips.
Well need less to say it did not work. I still can't beleave I brok a flat bar.

YeLLowBoaT
07-21-2006, 08:42 AM
well I just broke off one of the sides of the slot... :mad:
Any 1 know the drill bit and tap size I need???
Or any other good ideas???