PDA

View Full Version : Race fuel ?'s

bear down
01-09-2006, 11:51 AM
If I need to run 110 Octane fuel can I cheat and use a 50/50 mix of AV Gas and race Fuel or Premium unleaded. I heard that AV gas is pretty cheap at the airports vs. $6.00 + per gallon at other locations. I heard that AV Gas is very dry but the premium fuel will compensate for that. Any words of wisdom would be great. Thanks!

cstraub
01-09-2006, 12:20 PM
E-mail this guy. . . rmbuilder@rochester.rr.com hell send you some articles on AV gas and why what you want to do is not a good idea.

superdave013
01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
when I ran VP-C16 the way I looked at it was the cheepest part in that engine was the gas. Nothing else in your engine costs 6 bucks or less. Just part of it or you need to lower some compression.

LakesOnly
01-09-2006, 01:07 PM
If your only concern is cost and anti-detonation, I think it works fine. Realize it's a different animal than race gas, though, so...
I prefer it over pump gas for sure and have run hundreds of gallons through my milder jet boat (lake boat) motor. Doesn't cost much more than pump gas premium, which is essentially cat piss where I live...
Here is a link to an old thread: Click Here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53599&highlight=mogas)
LO

Rexone
01-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Paul I added that to the tech links thread so it can be found easily :)

Norseman
01-10-2006, 01:03 PM
If your only concern is cost and anti-detonation, I think it works fine. Realize it's a different animal than race gas, though, so...
I prefer it over pump gas for sure and have run hundreds of gallons through my milder jet boat (lake boat) motor. Doesn't cost much more than pump gas premium, which is essentially cat piss where I live...
Here is a link to an old thread: Click Here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53599&highlight=mogas)
LO
I've run a lot of HighTest /AV gas mix in street rods over the years. When I took them to the track I always ran Race gas, and yes it makes a difference!!
As an FYI it's not a good idea to let your insurance company, wife or neighbors know you have 55 gal drums of race gas in the garage!!
Bob

Snowboat
01-10-2006, 05:39 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Av gas is 100LL, or 100 octane low lead. If you need 110, you're not going to be close. Regarding all of the pros and cons, how could you tell a difference? I understand about the additives and altitude, but how could you tell, as long as there wasn't any detonation?

TIMINATOR
01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
What are you running it in? I have run 7 second dragsters, 8 sec, and a zillion 9 second street/strip cars on straight AV-gas. I run the current TIMINATOR Daytona on AV when I am beating on it, and 50-50 in the other tank. I run a 565 BBC, ported Dart 360s,big solid roller,14-71 BDS Delta discharge blower, 2 1050s, Superchiller, etc, etc. oh yeah 11 lbs boost. It runs fine. TIMINATOR

cyclone
01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
i've been buying drums of vp110 for less than 6 bucks a gallon. why bother mixing av gas with 91 octane if it costs more?

djdtpr
01-10-2006, 08:15 PM
when I ran VP-C16 the way I looked at it was the cheepest part in that engine was the gas. Nothing else in your engine costs 6 bucks or less. Just part of it or you need to lower some compression.
DITTO!!!!!

TIMINATOR
01-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I buy regular for $2.09 and AV for $3.39=$5.48/2=$2.74 how is that $6.00/gal? did I miss somthing? Mebbie I've been breathing the AV-GAS fumes. TIMINATOR

bear down
01-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I am running this in a dune buggy motor (Subuaru 2.5l with a turbo running about 12lbs of boost). I use about 30-35 gallons of race fuel per trip, just trying to find a way to reduce costs. The motor needs to run on 110 octane fuel though with no exception.
What are you running it in? I have run 7 second dragsters, 8 sec, and a zillion 9 second street/strip cars on straight AV-gas. I run the current TIMINATOR Daytona on AV when I am beating on it, and 50-50 in the other tank. I run a 565 BBC, ported Dart 360s,big solid roller,14-71 BDS Delta discharge blower, 2 1050s, Superchiller, etc, etc. oh yeah 11 lbs boost. It runs fine. TIMINATOR

TIMINATOR
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
I used to have a sand rail with a 2000 pinto motor at 20/22 lbs non-intercooled boost, worked fine. Contrary to rumor av is not any "dryer" than anything else either. You don't need any Marvel Mystery B.S. oil either. If anyone doubts how well my rig runs on av-gas, just ask anyone who was at Pleasant on New Years Day. But then again, the old 21 TIMINATOR Daytona allways ran on REGULAR 87 octane with NO additives. It depends as much as how you build it as much as what you put in it. TIMINATOR

TIMINATOR
01-10-2006, 08:55 PM
P.S. learn how to read plugs or make friends with someone who does. TIMINATOR

LakesOnly
01-10-2006, 10:36 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Av gas is 100LL, or 100 octane low lead. If you need 110, you're not going to be close.
100LL is called just that only because there used to be a straight 100 (non-LL). It's just a name. The "LL" designation only menas that it has two grams per gallon lead in it instead of four grams like the straight "100" that has been phased out. That's still plenty of lead, motor octane rating is still 100, and anti-knock rating is still adequate for many applications.
Also, in the same way that 100LL is just a name, don't be fooled by a commercial race fuel's commercial name where the octane rating is part of the name. There is more than one octane test/rating and we are talking "motor" octane rating. Avgas 100LL is a true 100 "motor" octane, while VP110 is actually a 107 "motor" octane rating, ERC 110K has a "motor" octane rating of just 105.2, and Sunoco Standard 110 has a motor octane rating of 105, etc. Not to mention that these manufacturer's may use anti-knock additives other than lead to get the octane rating up (nevertheless, the race-application fuels have their place).
No dissing race gas by any means (hell, I know I'll be depending on it at times), just standing up for the virtues of the AvGas, that's all.
LO

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
01-11-2006, 02:38 PM
If you are in the Glamis or river set and need to run Good fuel just bite the bullet. Quality fuel is very cheap when when looking at overall cost of your hobbies. You cannot put a price on BOOST.

RumRunner
01-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Avaiation fuel is great! IF you're running an airplane. If you have an engine that does not need the octane of a full race gas, and your looking for some added safety. The downside is mixing it with pump gas will not yield you the same octane each time due to the differences in pump gas. Also, and much more important in a marine application is that AVGas is engineered to run at a maximum of 3500 RPM running a marine application at higher RPM's can lead to detontation.
Bottom line, it can be done but if your engine actually needs 110 ocatane fuel you need to either buy that fuel or rebuild the engine.