PDA

View Full Version : Info on the island of Kauai? hook ups?

2Driver
07-19-2006, 10:21 AM
OK we are going! :rollside: Been there before but am always looking for some new info on things to do, places to be sure to go, favorite resturants. Also like to find a mellow surf break for mid to long boarding that is not all coral reef break.
Staying in Poipu at Kiahuna Plantation but always drive the whole Island.

bohica
07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
My cousin Glenn Takeuchi is the general manager at Roy's in Kauai. Tell him his cousin Duane said he'd hook you up. :chi:

Magic34
07-19-2006, 10:57 AM
My cousin Glenn Takeuchi is the general manager at Roy's in Kauai. Tell him his cousin Duane said he'd hook you up. :chi:
Damn, where was that hook up the past 5 years I have gone there?

al cole'holic
07-19-2006, 10:59 AM
..first time to this island coming up in October, staying at the Princeville for a wedding. I know nothing about it so all info is appreciated too! :)

Magic34
07-19-2006, 11:02 AM
OK we are going! :rollside: Been there before but am always looking for some new info on things to do, places to be sure to go, favorite resturants. Also like to find a mellow surf break for mid to long boarding that is not all coral reef break.
Staying in Poipu at Kiahuna Plantation but always drive the whole Island.
We normally go to the Hyatt at Poipu evey year for about 12-14 days, but last year the service sucked at the Hyatt with the new management, so this year we are heading to the Big Island.
We go to Kiekos Paradise about 3-4 times every trip. It is just down the street from where you are staying (next to Roy's as well in that same plaza). They have good food, and Gaylords at the Plantation is good as well but that is a further drive, closer to "town."
For a quick, decent priced lunch. the burger place in the above plaza is good as well.
Also, we do Brenneke's once a trip as well. It has more of a local feel as it is just off the local beach, about 5 mintues from where you are staying. Food is OK there too.

Magic34
07-19-2006, 11:06 AM
..first time to this island coming up in October, staying at the Princeville for a wedding. I know nothing about it so all info is appreciated too! :)
Princeville is the oppsoite side of the island, compared to where we normally stay, but from what I understand it is awesome there! Next time to Kauai for us we are staying there.

Magic34
07-19-2006, 11:10 AM
You going to any other islands that trip in October? I'll be on the Big island on the 15th, then over for meetings in Honolulu for the 18th until about noon on the 19th, and back to the Big Island until the 23rd.

2Driver
07-19-2006, 11:23 AM
We go to Kiekos Paradise about 3-4 times every trip. It is just down the street from where you are staying (next to Roy's as well in that same plaza). They have good food, and Gaylords at the Plantation is good as well but that is a further drive, closer to "town."
For a quick, decent priced lunch. the burger place in the above plaza is good as well.
Also, we do Brenneke's once a trip as well. It has more of a local feel as it is just off the local beach, about 5 mintues from where you are staying. Food is OK there too.
Thanks, this is our 3rd trip and have done Keoki's Paradise before, great place for the kids. Haven't done Gaylords, roys and the burger joint. There on our list now.... and thanks to Duane
Thanks.

UnionJack
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
My wife and I will be at the Grand Hyatt on Kauai oct 19-25

Ryphraph
07-19-2006, 12:14 PM
General Mustard's hot dog stand if its still there... Been along time.
I was there before Poipu got destroyed 14 years ago and they claimed it would never to be rebuilt. Love to go back some day
Ryph

All IN
07-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Beach house is a great restaurant.

Magic34
07-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Keoki's Paradise before
Thanks.
Damn, I screwed the spelling of that place. I should have got it right as many times as it has appeared on my CC statement. Next time, maybe I should sound it out.
Have a good time!
Oh, and the conceirge at the hotels gets "coupons" from Keoki's Paradise for a free mudd pie, which I highly suggest you try. Make sure you get some from them and save the $8 on dessert. :) They have stacks of them there at the hotel, at least they did at the Hyatt, you just have to know to ask. Union Jack, get your free desserts too!!! :rollside:

al cole'holic
07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
You going to any other islands that trip in October? I'll be on the Big island on the 15th, then over for meetings in Honolulu for the 18th until about noon on the 19th, and back to the Big Island until the 23rd.
..to be honest, I was thinking about flying to Maui for like 5 days and then flying in the day of the wedding, only because Maui is my favorite, then again I guess I should feel out Kauai to see if I like it. Have heard nothing but good things about the Princeville resort...

2Driver
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
General Mustard's hot dog stand if its still there... Been along time.
I was there before Poipu got destroyed 14 years ago and they claimed it would never to be rebuilt. Love to go back some day
Ryph
It's mostly rebuilt except the old Stoffer Poipu beach hotel. We were booked to arrive the very day the CAT 5 hit Poipu. We were heading for the airport and did a U turn back home. Loaded up the JC Tritoon and went to Powell for 9 days instead.
Magic34 Hula Pie. :rollside:

UnionJack
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Damn, I screwed the spelling of that place. I should have got it right as many times as it has appeared on my CC statement. Next time, maybe I should sound it out.
Have a good time!
Oh, and the conceirge at the hotels gets "coupons" from Keoki's Paradise for a free mudd pie, which I highly suggest you try. Make sure you get some from them and save the $8 on dessert. :) They have stacks of them there at the hotel, at least they did at the Hyatt, you just have to know to ask. Union Jack, get your free desserts too!!! :rollside:
Do you want me to bring some back?

pixrthis
07-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Princeville is really nice, be sure to check out Queens Bath, it's a swimming hole in the lava rocks with a high dive. You can get great fish tacos and burritos up the road at Red Hot Mamas. It's a shack with no seating but worth the trip. The snorkeling is cool too. Have great trip.

UnionJack
07-19-2006, 02:49 PM
the princeville is fly, the lobby view is cool

al cole'holic
07-19-2006, 02:50 PM
...I was on the Big Island in April, which was a bit weak but the Hilton Waikoloa was pretty awesome..sounds like the Princeville may just make the trip great afterall.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Princeville is the best secret.
We stay at the Sheraton. Awsum.
Has it's own beach. You can take a 5 minute SCUBA lesson and dive right away.
Loosen up with the cash and do it.
Drink prices are mega $$$$, though.