PDA

View Full Version : For all you A/C people. Yes, another thread.

ChumpChange
07-19-2006, 11:03 AM
I live in Claremont, CA. I have had my house just about a year and my home warranty is about to expire on August 1st which is the urgency of this matter.
I had a A/C guy from the warranty place come out last week after my generator was not spinning. As soon as he looked at it, he saw that the compressor isn't even hooked up!!! There is no 24v going from the generator to the thermostat. It appears the wires were cut prior to me purchasing the house. Why the inspector didn't see this??? I don't know.
Is there an A/C installer here on the boards in my area? I'm hoping somebody can take care of this wire for me soon as I need to run the A/C to even know if the generator works, hopefully prior to the warranty expiring.

MrsSigEpMock
07-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Matt,
You should be able to extend your home warranty if you are interested, call the insurer. Good luck! If you don't get any one on here, let us know. Our Neighbors Bro-In-Law did our A/C. Great work. He could probably come look at it.
Carrie Mock

PBOCOP
07-19-2006, 11:11 AM
What part of Claremont are you in ? I'm in Claremont too !!
I have a friend that does AC. Novell Heating and A/C. He's a local Claremont boy. Not sure how cheap he is though. Kinda screws me too.
Patrick O'Malley

ChumpChange
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Matt,
You should be able to extend your home warranty if you are interested, call the insurer.
I have the renewal right in front of me. I am desperately debating on whether to renew or not. I had a roof leak.....the insurer sucked. This is happening......the insurer sucks. I need to call them again.....I'm sure they'll suck.

ChumpChange
07-19-2006, 11:14 AM
What part of Claremont are you in ? I'm in Claremont too !!
I have a friend that does AC. Novell Heating and A/C. He's a local Claremont boy. Not sure how cheap he is though. Kinda screws me too.
Patrick O'Malley
As long as he screws people equally, I'm cool with that. If you have his number.
I'm just off Mills & Baseline.

al cole'holic
07-19-2006, 11:16 AM
..should have been one of the first things the inspector did, walk in and turn on the a/c...??...if there was no mention of a problem then there would be no reason the warranty company won't cover it. I had a 5 ton a/c go out on Saturday in Palm Springs in 112ยบ+ weather, my warranty expires on July 30th..talk about great timing!! :220v:

ChumpChange
07-19-2006, 11:17 AM
..should have been one of the first things the inspector did, walk in and turn on the a/c...??
He did. He pointed his little gun at the vent and said "your a/c will need to be recharged" and that was the end of it. Jerk.

riverroyal
07-19-2006, 07:50 PM
just the low voltage wires arent hooked up???House is less than one year since you got the keys?Builder is responcible.FINAL answer,actually if the install was incorrect then the builder is not off the hook at a year.I believe workmanship goes longer than a year,Who is the builder?Call the customer service manager,not the customer serv guy for your neighborhood,his boss.If they cant respond in 24hrs,tell them you will call a tech,and give them the bill.Heres another way of doing it,are they still selling homes in your hood?If so go to the sales office and be a complete pain in the ass,tell them you will be in there everyday,sale people hate that,they will call the customer serv manager.Its a very simple fix,but its 100 outside,busy time of year

riverroyal
07-19-2006, 07:51 PM
its a used house,I have no idea,,,,ha sorry

OutCole'd
07-19-2006, 07:55 PM
its a used house,I have no idea,,,,ha sorry
All that typing for nothing.......

riverroyal
07-19-2006, 07:58 PM
All that typing for nothing.......
the post instead of flying through it,home warranty should cover it,I would think.Id stop by but its about 110 miles away.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-19-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't understand what you mean by generator,, but if it's an electrical prob.,, you might be able to get an electrician friend to look at it if you have one.
They're not backed up, at least the ones I know aren't.
Most A/C probs I see aren't low freon.
Renew your homeowners policy.
I used to be shocked buying simple parts for my Toyota,, then it didn't shock me anymore, I came to expect it.
The days of cheap A/C parts are over too.
2 companies control 80% of the home and lite commercial market,, they dictate the cost, they have us by the sack

riverroyal
07-19-2006, 08:12 PM
I don't understand what you mean by generator,, but if it's an electrical prob.,, you might be able to get an electrician friend to look at it if you have one.
They're not backed up, at least the ones I know aren't.
Most A/C probs I see aren't low freon.
Renew your homeowners policy.
I used to be shocked buying simple parts for my Toyota,, then it didn't shock me anymore, I came to expect it.
The days of cheap A/C parts are over too.
2 companies control 80% of the home and lite commercial market,, they dictate the cost, they have us by the sack
compressor.Gotta be

Ivan Dan
07-19-2006, 08:52 PM
I have the renewal right in front of me. I am desperately debating on whether to renew or not. I had a roof leak.....the insurer sucked. This is happening......the insurer sucks. I need to call them again.....I'm sure they'll suck.
Chances are they will tell you that it was a pre-existing problem and not want to cover it. What does your inspection report say? You can e-mail/fax it to me and I will look it over for you if you want.
ivandan@aol.com
714-908-7739 fax
DAN

Ivan Dan
07-19-2006, 08:58 PM
dan, you making it to vegas ??
Yes I am....staying at the Golden Nugget. You???? (i know dumb question since I'm sure PAB will be there bashing around with the rest of the TT boys)

Ivan Dan
07-19-2006, 09:05 PM
ya, i'll be at the mandy bay with the wifey and kids, they need the wave/beach/pool deal ..... the d.a. wrecking crew will be at the nugget thrashing the place .... heard the pool was a no show at the nugget(closed) :220v:
Now I know where I'm going when I want to go swimming on Friday and Saturday! :crossx:

slowinhavasu
07-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Are there low voltage wires hanging out of the "out door unit" and some hanging out of the wall????? If this is just A/C, splice the white wire to the white wire and the red to the red and see if she'll start up...
I would think the first A/C guy would have tried this...

Ivan Dan
07-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Chances are they will tell you that it was a pre-existing problem and not want to cover it. What does your inspection report say? You can e-mail/fax it to me and I will look it over for you if you want.
ivandan@aol.com
714-908-7739 fax
DAN
Forgot to ask what Home Warranty company it is? I might be able to help with that as well.

ChumpChange
07-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Wow this thread really took off when I went home last night. Compressor is correct, not generator. The low voltage wires are the only think missing which are the wires running from the thermostat to the compressor. There are 'cut" wires that are in the electircal box attached to the compressor which is why it looks fishy. Unfortunately, I can't figure out where they fished the wires through my house to the compressor. I don't see the opening on the outside of the house.
I guess an electrical guy would be able to do this. Good idea as the four a/c guys that I have called have not called me back. I guess I'll be crawling in my attic on Saturday morning before it gets too hot up there. Thanks all for the replies.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Wish I was going to be out your way soon, I'd get your system correct.

slowinhavasu
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Wow this thread really took off when I went home last night. Compressor is correct, not generator. The low voltage wires are the only think missing which are the wires running from the thermostat to the compressor. There are 'cut" wires that are in the electircal box attached to the compressor which is why it looks fishy. Unfortunately, I can't figure out where they fished the wires through my house to the compressor. I don't see the opening on the outside of the house.
I guess an electrical guy would be able to do this. Good idea as the four a/c guys that I have called have not called me back. I guess I'll be crawling in my attic on Saturday morning before it gets too hot up there. Thanks all for the replies.
I have to assume there are freon lines coming out of the wall, big copper line with a rubber style stuff around it and a small copper line that go to your condenser/compressor. Fish your hand up the "eye brow" where the lines come out, and see if you can feel the wires, They have to be in there some where.....pull them out , there is some slack in them most of the time. If you find them peal back the the wires as stated before, and hook them up...if not your screwed...good luck...c

ROZ
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
the post instead of flying through it,home warranty should cover it,I would think.Id stop by but its about 110 miles away.
So now you're an ac guy ?