PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Paint off a truck...???

NOTALENT
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
My buddy and I are restoring his 57 Chevy pickup that his grandpa passed down to him...we just finished the engine and the trans and now want to start on the body work. We were using paint stripper, but its going to be all original and a frame off restoration so we want to have it done professionaly.
What is the best way? Any recommendations in So Cal?? Prices???
Sandblasting, Walnut Blasting, Chemical Dip?? etc.... I have never heard of the walnut blasting till the other day....suppost to be softer so it doesnt thin out the sheet metal.
Thanks in advance.

heywood jablome
07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
sand blasting leaves a very coarse finish on the surface. There are places that use plastic media or crushed walnut hulls that dont effect the surface.
alot of shops will have the panels chemically stripped, that way there isnt any residual material in the hard to clean areas, like rocker panels and stuff
i know of a place in burbank that does glass bead blasting, but it does leave the surface very rough.
I also know of a chemical stripping place in Van Nuys
ill look for the numbers in you need them

NOTALENT
07-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Yes please if you can.....I want to do the chemical dip this way the surface stays nice....especially since the whole truck is still original. Gonna need to repair a few spots by welding in new steel as well....do you have any ideas on cost???

djunkie
07-19-2006, 01:15 PM
I'd get it media blasted.

NOTALENT
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
whats that???

carreraelite
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Soda blasting also works with out having to worry about metal distortion.....

Bense468
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
whats that???
Like sand blasting but with plastic instead of sand ;). Its not as hard on the item your stripping.

heywood jablome
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
whats that???
glass, cruched walnut hulls, plastic or sand
media is a generic term now
ill look for that number

Big Kahunaa
07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
yes that is the way to go a rough suface is okay when you start applying bondo it will stick

heywood jablome
07-19-2006, 01:42 PM
here you go bro
L&M Strippers (not that kind of stripper)
818-983-1200
14232 Aetna Street
Van Nuys, CA
From what i remember they are one block north of Oxnard street and two blocks east of Van Nuys blvd
I used to take engine blocks there to be cleaned and they always had at least one or two car / truck bodies there
i dont know what they charge, but they are one of the few places that can dip a car body
good luck
i might have a number for someone that can do a "soda" , walnut or plastic media blast, let me know if you need them

NOTALENT
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
yes that is the way to go a rough suface is okay when you start applying bondo it will stick
Were trying not to do bondo at all.....its pretty straight....just some rust spots we have to cut out and redo...

NOTALENT
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
here you go bro
818-983-1200
14232 Aetna Street
Van Nuys, CA
From what i remember they are one block north of Oxnard street and two blocks east of Van Nuys blvd
I used to take engine blocks there to be cleaned and they always had at least one or two car / truck bodies there
i dont know what they charge, but they are one of the few places that can dip a car body
good luck
i might have a number for someone that can do a "soda" , walnut or plastic media blast, let me know if you need them
Awesome..thanks..I will call them manana... :rollside:

SOCALDETAIL1
07-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Soda blasting also works with out having to worry about metal distortion.....
Defently soda blasting.

Big Kahunaa
07-19-2006, 06:26 PM
all cars need bondo factory panels arn't sraight when this truck was built it was a truck if you want it pefect you are going to need bondo, lead, or metal work don't forgrt the warping from wellding in thoes new panels

Craig
07-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Chemical stripping can be a mess :yuk: But I had the time and it only cost about 100 bucks worth of stripper :)
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/NewBigRed/body4.jpg
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/NewBigRed/body5.jpg
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/NewBigRed/PC131856.JPG

BoatPI
07-23-2006, 07:19 AM
NEVER chemical strip a car. I would suggest Orange County metal blasters, they generally use walnut shells and a medium presure. You will still have to get all of the dbris out of the shell. I have done a few cars, none of which ends up costing lass that 10K for body and paint. This is the safe way to go.

GRUNION
07-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Chemical stripping can be a mess :yuk: But I had the time and it only cost about 100 bucks worth of stripper :)
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/NewBigRed/body4.jpg
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/NewBigRed/body5.jpg
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/NewBigRed/PC131856.JPG
Craig your crazzy that had to be a nasty mess let me know next time I will get it media blasted for only a little more money. :rollside:

rrrr
07-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Find a Hot Rod magazine about 2-3 months old. They are doing a series on painting your car, and that issue talks about paint removal options. The article has a sidebar with the names of several SoCal companies that do the different types of chemical and media paint removal.

OutCole'd
07-23-2006, 08:23 AM
here you go bro
818-983-1200
14232 Aetna Street
Van Nuys, CA
good luck
That is who I used in the past. I brought them an entire VW body and they had a tank large enough to dip the whole thing.

YeLLowBoaT
07-23-2006, 08:25 AM
I would never strip a car chemically at home. Now if you can find a shop that has a "solvent tank" that is the way to go, much better then blasting.
I have blasted sevral cars using a el cheapo blast pot. Its really not that hard. Just have to make sure you tent off the garage or you will be finding it for years.

Misogynist
07-23-2006, 08:40 AM
The biggest problem with blasting a car with anything is trying to get all the sand and walnut shells out of the body before you paint. I had an "e type" jag blasted and then put the body tub in a rotisserie. Every time I rolled the body over more sand poured out. I hosed it with air, and turned and hosed and turned and more sand kept coming out. Even though I thought I had all the sand out. More found it's way out in the paint booth. Nice... sand in the paint. Just strip it. If it is only the outside of the car you need stripped. Buy aircraft stripper and do it yourself. When George was alive and running L and M stripping in Van Nuys, stripping was cheap. Now the new guys charge you an arm and a leg to strip stuff. They do a great job... But if only the outside needs to be done, strip it yourself.

rrrr
07-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Buy aircraft stripper and do it yourself. When George was alive and running L and M stripping in Van Nuys, stripping was cheap. Now the new guys charge you an arm and a leg to strip stuff. They do a great job... But if only the outside needs to be done, strip it yourself.
When George was alive, the EPA, CARB, and SCAQMD weren't looking up everyone's azz with a flashlight......
If you strip it yourself and the chemicals go into the storm drain system you can say hello to some big problems.
Besides, strippers can create problems like sand or any other media. Residue will appear and ruin the new paint. If you get it done professionally, they use a second neutralizing bath to kill the stripper.
I'm always amazed how some people will try to save a few bucks on the very foundation of a project that will take hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to complete. Kinda like building a new house on a landfill.....

Craig
07-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Craig your crazzy that had to be a nasty mess let me know next time I will get it media blasted for only a little more money. :rollside:
I'll keep that in mind. When I get the "red" car done, I have another one that's strictly a drag car. I do enjoy being able to say I did it myself, not just wrote checks. If you take your time, in my book it's worth it, but that's just me. I did sand blast some of the frame and inner fender wells. I washed it several times, blew it out with air, used a power washer and I still get sand sprinkling down when I've been banging around on it lately getting everything back together. :mad: When I get it running, I might have to do a midnight ride down the road to shake it all out before I paint it.