PDA

View Full Version : low deck barron sprint w/4 strakes

tfrahz555
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I have been racing jim clauss's barron sprint for about 6 years. It is a low deck with a 4 strake bottom. I believe the king himself used to drive it. I was wondering what info you guys have on this boat. Any of you guys out west have any pictures of gordon driving it? Is this barron unique from most others?
Woody
ss 555
ps34
k 555

canam10
07-19-2006, 05:15 PM
I have been racing jim clauss's barron sprint for about 6 years. It is a low deck with a 4 strake bottom. I believe the king himself used to drive it. I was wondering what info you guys have on this boat. Any of you guys out west have any pictures of gordon driving it? Is this barron unique from most others?
Woody
ss 555
ps34
k 555
If thats the same boat Jim used to run when I was running down South it's got to have more heats on it than any Barron Sprint ever built. The boat was plenty fast but like most others out there did not turn like the Biesemeyers. One of the last time I ran down "South" Jimmy crashed the boat in Millville, N.J. going into the first turn. If you ever see Jim tell him Tim (American Dream SS-10) says Hello

tfrahz555
07-19-2006, 08:22 PM
tim:
I see jim almost daily. Infact today he was just saying that u had a nice biesmyer that has been in the garage for 15 years. I will tell him you said hello.
His boat does have many heats on it. In the last 6 years i must have put 150-200 heats on it.
Woody

cowboybob
07-20-2006, 06:03 AM
tim:
I see jim almost daily. Infact today he was just saying that u had a nice biesmyer that has been in the garage for 15 years. I will tell him you said hello.
His boat does have many heats on it. In the last 6 years i must have put 150-200 heats on it.
Woody
I also had a 4 Strake Barron Sprint but am unsure of the history prior to owning it. The one thing I do know is that the Hull Number was unique (as in Non-Hallett) and if I recall started with TBRB???? In any case Jerry Barron said it was not a "Hallett" built Boat, although I found out that Tommy Barron apparently was building some "Non Hallett" Barrons on the "side" so to speak. From what I know they were modified, 4 strake Race Deals with a pretty decent "Twist" in them. Mine had a 3 Piece Plate and the Trailer was identical to the one under the former "Orca" Boat currently for sale (the Right hand Drive one).

canam10
07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=tfrahz555]tim:
Woody,
Thanks, Hope all is well down your way. Hopefully some day we can all get togeather again. Yes I still have my Team Biesemeyer hull. By far the best boat I have ever driven. I still have this idea in my head that I would like to pull a mold from it and build a boat or two a year when I retire. Hopefully in a couple years if all goes well. Tim

stickmann
07-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Have you considered running your Team B hull through a coordinate measuring machine to get a 3D model of the hull? With those dimensions you could have a tooling board plug carved. Any discrepancies could be machined out of the plug before molding. You could then build a master model which would allow the creation of multiple molds for many years.
http://www.generalplastics.com/products/product_detail.php?pid=20&

BILLY.B
07-22-2006, 02:20 PM
The "Bolt Nazi" (Allen's Fasteners) has a 4 strake cut down Barron Sprint. Truitt Beal & Danny Loveless have told me that there were only about 4 to 5 of these made. Allen's is about 2 to 3" lower then any of the other Barron's i've seen.

canam10
07-23-2006, 04:42 AM
Have you considered running your Team B hull through a coordinate measuring machine to get a 3D model of the hull? With those dimensions you could have a tooling board plug carved. Any discrepancies could be machined out of the plug before molding. You could then build a master model which would allow the creation of multiple molds for many years.
http://www.generalplastics.com/products/product_detail.php?pid=20&
Stickman,
That is very interesting. My guesss is it would be quite expensive. I'm not looking to go into buisness, just something to do when I'm retired, when I feel like working. Winters are long in Western New York and I'm sure my Wife and I won't be able to leave the Grandchildren for the whole winter. I still do a little snowmobiling but each year that becomes less and less. What better way to spend your retirement years than to do a little racing in the new SE class in the Summer and build a v-drive or two in the winter. Mel owner of Temptation boats is a very good friend and he has both the wide and narrow molds. He is not building boats anymore and still has his molds. I keep working on him to sell me the molds so maybe someday when he gets tired of storeing them he'll take me up on the offer.Mel's wide mold was pulled from Angelfire Tim

Sked
09-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Woody
ss 555
ps34
k 555
Woody
Well, Woody put the last lap on this Barron Sprint last Saturday at the Mays Landing, NJ race. Driving hard into the corner, the boat split in two. The entire nose, sides, and deck as one piece; and the bottom, from the driver's seat and v-drive back to and including the transom as the second piece. All the hardware went to the bottom of the lake with the second half of the boat and was retrieved by divers on Sunday. The nose, sides, deck piece floated and was retrieved Saturday immediately following the accident. The only hardware attached to that part was the bow eye and one gauge. Woody escaped serious injury but sustained a cut chin and tongue (ouch!), probably from hitting the deck or dash as he drove under it as it broke off. (the nose went up as he and the bottom went under) Since he's probably not talking real good right now, maybe he'll come on here and type out a first hand account.
Found this pic on the Region 4 Inboard site
http://region.freehomepage.com/images/flat_recovery_3_post.jpg

GofastRacer
09-13-2006, 04:47 AM
Damn that sucks, glad to hear he's ok!..

Nailhead
09-13-2006, 05:52 AM
I also have a 4 strake barron that I just bought last week. Cowboy bob has given me a ton of great info on this thing. How do I tell if its a low deck or not? It is also a Tommy Barron built boat ID# BARTB. Registration says its a 1976. Previous owner claims it held a record at 135 mph set at either Parker or Laughlin. Could this be true? Once I get some of the primer off I'll be able to tell what number is on the side of the boat. Thanks for any info,
Nailhead

CircleJerk
09-13-2006, 07:51 AM
This truley represents what I have been worried about for 5 years: how can a 30+ year old hull survive the rigors of racing without such an incident. I would like to think that keeping the speed down may help somewhat but this is no permanent solution. My next question is, how many of you flat folks currently racing old hulls think this will never happen to you??
Delamination is and has been a problem in a lot of our boats but is it possible to actually SEE it before this happens? I dont know if one can all of the time. I am not saying this happened to this rare Barron (very sad), I will let others 'chine' in if they care. But, this is a real problem someone should address and possibly the reason so many veterans have poo pooed our Nostalgia racing in the past and present. Hey, it may be the only class left in the future! And one more question: how many of you current racers either circle or drags have the money to order a new, safer, one? My pea brain has been mulling this over for some time and it keeps me in a very thick, heavy NON-FAST v-drive brand X (Lavey & Aquacraft)!
As the King, Mr. Jullian said at a recent race,"How long do we expect these old boats to run at todays current speeds and stay together"? I wasnt there, but this was reported to me by a reliable source. And how much beating and repeated right chine repairs can a circle boat take? I wonder......
Now, I am in trouble, but it's food for thought, isn't it? What will happen to circle flat boat racing when all the old b-boats are used up and still safe to run that hard?? How many of us can afford a new $15000 hull? Is that around the corner or are we there? Maybe someone should focus on reinforcing while restoring instead of all the 'Bling Bling' polished floors and aluminum. Is boat restoration emphasis misplaced, or on target? There, I just exposed myself: jErK or realist, you decide.....
So glad Woody has only minor injuries!
Anyone else care to elaborate, or poo-poo ME in public?

FlatStupid
09-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Jerk you are absolutely spot on. I have been worried about the same thing. That was the reason we built the new (wrecked K-5). I dont have a solution but people are gonna have to build new stuff. We may do some testing with an older boat and once we have a workable piece build another new one from there!

WannabeRacing
09-13-2006, 08:33 AM
It is the same deal with the nostalgia drag racing stuff. They are going way faster than the cars were ever designed for. Plus the 30 years these things have taken, make them much less than they used to be.
The original circle boats were VERY thin. After having Bobby tell me of the typical lay-up in the early days, I am quite surprised they lived a few years, much less a few decades.
I see no reason that they cannot run safely again with some hull maintenance. New floor and freshen over the stringers will give them some great life. And with some of the composites and technology we have now, no reason to make that boat better than it was new. And these types of things are not that expensive in comparison to a brand new hull. (That are NOT easy to come by.)
But it is the same ole' - Accidents will happen, even if you are in a brand new boat. And some guys don't take as much care for safety as the guy next to them. Some boats running are complete junk. Some are perfection personified.
So, is one answer the fix-all? No. To each team and each hull, a different direction, application, and preparation for the future.
Let's be safe guys.

Sked
09-13-2006, 08:34 AM
It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of condition.

FlatStupid
09-13-2006, 08:43 AM
It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of condition.Maybe! I still believe that fiberglass losses some of its' integrity over time. The rigors of racing will then highlight the problem!

Sked
09-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Maybe! I still believe that fiberglass losses some of its' integrity over time. The rigors of racing will then highlight the problem!
Well, people believe a lot of things. That doesn't necessarily make it true.

FlatStupid
09-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Your right! Thats why we have these discussions. How do you judge condition of materials that do deteriorate without doing a destructive test! Just asking. We have also thrown away two K-boats in the last two years that were in "good condition". Not wrecked just used!

Sked
09-13-2006, 10:02 AM
As far as I know, there are no conclusive test results reporting that time alone adversely affects fiberglass. Although it's been rumored that fiberglass continually cures and becomes more brittle with age or losses strength, I've never seen any reports on testing that prove this to be so.
Fractures, delamination, or other signs of stress as well as the effects of weather or other factors related to improper storage all go toward the condition of the hull. Time itself is not a factor.

WannabeRacing
09-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Ultraviolet light does weaken fiberglass.
It also changes the resins to become more brittle, lose adhesion, and overall strength.
But what would time have to do with ultraviolet light. Right?

FlatStupid
09-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Could be a rumour that it doesnt change. :D

the real k-boat king
09-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Your right! Thats why we have these discussions. How do you judge condition of materials that do deteriorate without doing a destructive test! Just asking. We have also thrown away two K-boats in the last two years that were in "good condition". Not wrecked just used!
just look at your driver. I think there was only 3 of the cut down versions, two of them at tommy barron marine and one at hallett, danny loveless has the one from hallett, jim claus has mine and greg fosters first cut down barron. tommy built one for him and al gundstrom for pro stock, and i dont know where that one ended up.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Something about a wrecked hull hoisted out of the water by a crane gives me the heebee jeebees. I think its from all those Long beach memories years ago...
I agree with these quotes...
I see no reason that they cannot run safely again with some hull maintenance. New floor and freshen over the stringers will give them some great life. And with some of the composites and technology we have now, no reason to make that boat better than it was new. And these types of things are not that expensive in comparison to a brand new hull. (That are NOT easy to come by.)
But it is the same ole' - Accidents will happen, even if you are in a brand new boat. .
It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of condition.
Fractures, delamination, or other signs of stress as well as the effects of weather or other factors related to improper storage all go toward the condition of the hull.
CircleJerk, Julian did say that and it does make you think...
I'm glad Woody was OK.

Nailhead
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
The one I just got was raced by Scott Porter in the SS class. Does anybody remember or have pictures?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
just look at your driver. I think there was only 3 of the cut down versions, two of them at tommy barron marine and one at hallett, danny loveless has the one from hallett, jim claus has mine and greg fosters first cut down barron. tommy built one for him and al gundstrom for pro stock, and i dont know where that one ended up.
This is one....
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Poster%20pics%20011.jpg
Danny Loveless's boat...
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Header%20pics.jpg

FlatStupid
09-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for weighing in Jerry. :idea: You going to be in SD?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks for weighing in Jerry. :idea: You going to be in SD?
No sir, I'm going on vacation. :cool:
I will try to make Ming. :cool:

FlatStupid
09-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Hopefully see ya at Ming!

canam10
09-13-2006, 02:12 PM
As far as I know, there are no conclusive test results reporting that time alone adversely affects fiberglass. Although it's been rumored that fiberglass continually cures and becomes more brittle with age or losses strength, I've never seen any reports on testing that prove this to be so.
Fractures, delamination, or other signs of stress as well as the effects of weather or other factors related to improper storage all go toward the condition of the hull. Time itself is not a factor.
Sked,
Over the years I've heard pretty much the same thing. The one thing that has stuck out in my mind is I was told that when you go into your garage and can no longer "smell" the boat(fiberglass) the cureing is done and it's time to get rid of it or stop racing it. Fortunately I can still smell mine however it is getting up there in age but has always been stored inside. The guy that would really know is Noel ( the guy you bought the skiff mold from). He's a chemist and I believe still has many of the pattens on fiberglass and resins.(he lives just down the river from me) Been really thinking about taking a mold from my Team hull to build a few boats a year when I retire. As it has to be one of the only untouched undamaged team hulls left. Interested ???
Woody,
What are you going to do for next year? Really sorry about your misfortune but glad your OK. Jim crashed that hull pretty had in the first turn in Milleville also about 83-4 I was inside and he was coming hard outside!!! Drop me a line at schulte10@verizon.net know of a couple deals out there. Tim

SK48
09-13-2006, 06:22 PM
About 10 years ago, one of my customers brought me a Barron sprint
and I took it out on the river for a nice ride. It was a cut down one
with the motor off set and the v-drive rotated. It was pearl white
with candy rainbow colors. It was named "Color Me Gone" so I think
it was one of Ed Johnson's old SS boats from Newport Beach, Calif.
The guy promised me that if he ever sold the boat I would get first chance.
He got a divorce, and the boat was sitting in Rialto, Calif. in his X's back
yard about three years ago. I'm sure it is junk by now, but if you find a
Barron sprint in Rialto and it could be saved it was a great boat.

wildfire555
09-13-2006, 09:21 PM
jeez Sked I thought you would have given me at least a week to heal before you started the shots. Anyway nice pic. I am fine, just a few stitches. I should be back racing before the end of the year.

wildfire555
09-13-2006, 09:40 PM
sked you have to throw out that open face helmet.

Sked
09-13-2006, 10:46 PM
sked you have to throw out that open face helmet.
No Way!

stickmann
09-14-2006, 04:04 AM
At the last race on Greenlake in the early 80's, a driver stuffed his 225 hydroplane. He was wearing a Bell Star full face helmet. As he entered the water feet first, his head was torn from his body by the bucketing effect.

CircleJerk
09-14-2006, 08:05 AM
At the last race on Greenlake in the early 80's, a driver stuffed his 225 hydroplane. He was wearing a Bell Star full face helmet. As he entered the water feet first, his head was torn from his body by the bucketing effect.
Hey Stich, you coming to Moses this weekend? I expect 12 of these 'ready to separate' flats racing all out for bragging rights. Who knows what condition the driver is in also, Skedster! Oh, dont worry about me, I have been cracked for a while!

Moneypitt
09-14-2006, 05:55 PM
I always thought the term "bucketing" refered to the same thing. But, I was informed that that term actually refers to the centrifical weight the helmet adds to your head. The bucketing is like swinging a bucket of water over your head, and the water doesn't spill because of centrifical force. This is what has killed far too many drivers, both motorcycle, and boat, and the primary reason to use the helmet restraining straps to help support the weight strain as applied to the neck......Not a popular subject.............MP

Dkahnjob
09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
I have a 1976 Barron Sprint with 4 strakes on the bottom. My hull number is BARTB1090476. I don't think it has ever been campained as a race boat. I am the 3rd owner and I knew #1 & 2. The boat has been run at the Parker family drags and I have nostalgia circle raced it. I bet it doesn't have a total of 100 hours run time on it.
Dave Kahn

stickmann
09-15-2006, 04:37 AM
"Hey Stich, you coming to Moses this weekend?"
Nope, I need to work on the fishing machine; the salmon might decide to come in.

kipperps28
09-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey Jerk, why don't you buy that hull, fix it, and run it in Nostagia (slower speeds and all, it should hold up fine). :)

CircleJerk
09-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey Jerk, why don't you buy that hull, fix it, and run it in Nostagia (slower speeds and all, it should hold up fine). :)
Why didnt I think of that?? And, I could save shipping since it is in pieces small enough to UPS the whole thing! You're Brilliant! and pissing me off, I was coming to Chelan, but sold my boat...... :cry:

ss396
09-18-2006, 05:52 PM
i was talking to the jerk and there was a lavey that came apart sunday at the moses lake wa. race. it had come apart at another race and was fixed. the driver mike was worried about it he came out ok with a soar ankle and other parts of the body nothing broke thank God. i missed sundays race cause i had to work. the jerk lives only a 2.5 miles from me but i can see his house from my back deck almost as the bird flys less than a mile.

Moneypitt
09-18-2006, 05:57 PM
i was talking to the jerk and there was a lavey that came apart sunday at the moses lake wa. race. it had come apart at another race and was fixed. the driver mike was worried about it he came out ok with a soar ankle and other parts of the body nothing broke thank God. i missed sundays race cause i had to work. the jerk lives only a 2.5 miles from me but i can see his house from my back deck almost as the bird flys less than a mile.
Will sheit, there goes the neighborhood..............MP