PDA

View Full Version : Skin Cancer/Actinic Keratosis

Wicky
07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
How much did your Dermatoligist charge you to remove it and what procedure did you have done to remove it? Any scarring? Any pain?
Thanks,
Wicky

revndave
07-19-2006, 01:46 PM
My dad died about a month ago from stage 4 skin cancer.Found out he was stage 4 Nov.05. Get it handled ASAP.Dont end up like my dad.He had something on his back in 2002.Get it handled.

Boozer
07-19-2006, 02:10 PM
How much did your Dermatoligist charge you to remove it and what procedure did you have done to remove it? Any scarring? Any pain?
Thanks,
Wicky
I don't know much about keratosis other then the few things I just read online about it. From what I just read if not treated it will turn into a carcenoma. Luckily, there are several treatments for it and all seem to be pretty mild in comparrison to the procedures you will have to go through if it develops into carcenoma.
In 2003 I was diagnosed with skin cancer (bazel cell carcenoma <sp>) and had a tumor removed from my neck. It started as a small purple dot and I never thought much of until one summer it decided to grow. It didn't appear to be very large but it went very deep and required that the doctor cut about 2" down into me removing a lot of muscle and what not. The procedure sucked and the recovery sucked a lot worse. I have a scar thats about 6 1/2" long now from the surgery.
If you have this keratosis don't mess around get it treated right away.

Tom Brown
07-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I hope you're OK, Wicky.
Take care of yourself, bud. :cool:

Water Romper
07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
OK, you asked for it…
I was diagnosed with stage 2 Malignant Melanoma last year.
I had a “spot on my left chest the size of an dime and went to the dermatologist because I wanted to see if he could “just take care of it” I will spare you the conversation but the next day I was at UCLA Oncology center for a “Massive Biopsy” This incision was about 3 inches long and two days later, I received “the dreaded call” It was Melanoma and they figured it was at least a stage 4 skin cancer. The next day I had “Nuclear Mapping” done and then went “under the knife” again. I awoke several hours and I now have a 10 inch scar across my chest. It’s OK because I heard chicks like scars…
The cancer “ran” across my chest opposed to getting in my blood stream…this was 100% pure luck! And a blessing from above…I was given less than a year to live IF the cancer had gotten into my blood.
Anyway, that was a year ago, I have had 17 more procedures that have all been at least 20+ stitches each and some small doses of interferon treatment…I could go on and on but you get the “jest” of this….SEE A DERMOTOLIGST, NOT A INTERNAL DR.
If in doubt, check it out…
Moral of the story, don’t tan and especially DO NOT GET BURNED.
Ps.
Just in case you’re wondering, Skin Cancer is an equal opportunity killer…Black, White, Brown or anything else, you can get this horrible disease.

Water Romper
07-19-2006, 03:09 PM
By the way...I an not even going to get into the financial side of this...

life's a river
07-19-2006, 03:26 PM
I have had so many basil cell's removed that I can't even keep count. Some hurt and others do not. Some have been frozen with liquid nitrogen, others have been cut out. I made a mistake and had 6 scraped out of my back all in the same visit and then had to drive to work. OK That hurt. Never again! My insurance has taken care of the majority of the bill. And yes I have scars all over. Sucks!
Sun Block! Keep a shirt on! Wear a hat when you can!
LAR

Trailer Park Casanova
07-19-2006, 03:44 PM
My wife is on the forefront of treating Melenoma, deals with it daily.
She has nitemares about her patients,,, it sux deluxe.
It is the most deadly of all cancers.
Don't bitch about the bill, or pain, get it treated ASAP.
If it hits stage 4,, you'e a goner, and it hits stage 4 real fast.
Our hearts are with you.
Wife uses a super cream that numbs the skin so no pain. I can get you the name of it if you like.
It's like heroin lotion, and it's great, it really works deluxe.
I gave our last tube tube of it to a clown on our last cruise that got a cherry, candy apple red, deep, fry an egg on his back, brutal sunburn and he was feeling no pain-what-so ever.
Everyone else:
Ya can still tan with SPF 45,, use it all the time.
Wifey uses SPF 50 and you can see her tan below:

Dave C
07-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I think we need a bigger picture for a closer inspection ;)
Wifey uses SPF 50 and you can see her tan below:

slowinhavasu
07-19-2006, 04:25 PM
I had a basil cell CUT out of my shoulder last year.....I hate when the doc says "a oh " it's bigger then we thought...I kow go every six months for a check up......Every one I have talked to that has it , gets more cut out every year....
Here in havasu we have a very high rate in teens due to our intense sun .....
I was raised in so cal. around the beach never wore sun screen......Make sure your kids do....I have to wear fifty on my face neck and arms every day because I work outside.
They say the herb can increase your chances ten fold......mow

Trailer Park Casanova
07-19-2006, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=slowinhavasu]
Here in havasu we have a very high rate in teens due to our intense sun .....
/QUOTE]
Wife says if you have it in your teens, you are a real candidate for it when you hit adulthood, good chance you'll get it if you have mid to lite color hair.

Tom Brown
07-19-2006, 04:35 PM
I had a basil cell CUT out of my shoulder last year.....
Sorry, Carey. :(
Please take care of yourself.

slowinhavasu
07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Sorry, Carey. :(
Please take care of yourself.
All the shit I've put in my body through years, this aint no big deal, just cut out another chunk, and open another beer......
When you live every day likes it's your last , you never have to worry about tomorrow...... :)

sorry dog
07-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Wife says theirs a super cream that numbs the skin so no pain. I can get you the name of it if you like.
It's like heroin lotion, and it's great, it really works deluxe.
I gave our last tube tube of it to a clown on our last cruise that got a cherry, candy apple red, deep, Tom Brown fried an egg on his back, brutal sunburn and he was feeling no pain-what-so ever.
You could make big money selling that stuff in the bench racer section.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-19-2006, 07:56 PM
It's prescription called:
lido/pril/dib/des/pe
Has to filled at a compound capable pharmacy

Debbolas
07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=Water Romper] It’s OK because I heard chicks like scars…
[QUOTE]
We do ;)
I have to go for my check up next month, dreading it, my dad has had several removed (fair haired southern boy), but I'm hoping my mothers Greek skin will protect me. I have a 50/50 chance, right?
I guess we should all get checked, being in the sun as much as we are, it's the responsible thing to do....

Wicky
07-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone.
My girlfriend convinced me to try what sounds similar to what Trailer Park Cassanova is talking about. Only difference is you can buy it over the counter. I started using it on an actinic keratosis spot as big as a pencil eraser just below my left eye.
It has been 5 months and the spot has completely disappeared.
I'm considering working for this company and selling my business.
The cream isn't cheap but I think it is less expensive than the dermatologist.
I see a great future in this cream.
To be continued...
Wicky

RitcheyRch
07-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I've had about 6 moles removed with by biopsy and 4 of them came back as pre-cancerous. Thankfully, my sister works for a dermatologist.
I was just there yesterday getting my 6 month check-up.