PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Hot Spots

welk2party
07-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know how the wireless hot spots work at Starbucks and such places. At Starbucks they offer T - Mobile hot spots....does this mean I have to have T-Mobile? I need to bring my laptop to the lake this weekend and want to get some internet coverage. Is this the best option?

H20Advantage
07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
You can use your laptop at the library or use theirs. You may need to fill out a form and get a card, not a library card but a computer access card. We used it for awhile before getting internet out there. Wife is working on her Master's.

welk2party
07-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Where is the library?

welk2party
07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Sweet. That is what I needed to hear. I am staying right next to the London Bridge....maybe I can pick one up there and I won't have to leave the house!

Fire Angler
07-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Condo complexes are very easy Hot Spots too while traveling. :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-19-2006, 08:33 PM
The wireless router at my Havasu house is not WEP protected.....
You can check email from my driveway....
PM me if you need access....
Starbucks is $6 or so for the first hour and you gotta' sign up with your CC..
There is also a WiFi at Absolute.....PM me for a WEP key....
Later,
CJG
:)

Goad
07-20-2006, 08:24 AM
if you have some time on your hands....try war driving... not sure if its legal or not in AZ, but from what I understand, if its not encrypted, its free game. the law will get involved if you start sniffing the air or hack encryptions.
find a neighborhood and just run this program....it has an auditable sonar sound that lets you know when your close to a wireless connection....works great when I need to remote into work for an emergancy fix when im travelling.
http://www.netstumbler.com/

NOTALENT
07-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Playing with the fancy new laptop huh??? :D Have a good time up there bro...you taking out your boat???

spectratoad
07-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Getting access shouldn't be a problem.
Forensic
I wish this part of your post was referring to the avatar. :p :cry: :p

acatitude
07-20-2006, 08:47 AM
LOL as I sit outside starbucks

spectratoad
07-20-2006, 08:49 AM
LOL as I sit outside starbucks
Get to work
:cool:
We will be at Tower Park this weekend. You gonna be there or stop by?

Bense468
07-20-2006, 08:50 AM
They have wifi finders you can put on your keychain, and then you don't need to "war drive" but that also may take the fun out of it. Nothing like collegetramps.com barreling down the 95.

C-2
07-20-2006, 09:36 AM
For future reference, I use a Orinoco Gold card/magnetic antenna on my laptop. As stated above, you can usually find hotspots around apartment buildings and high-density housing areas. Ebay, about a $100.
However, without an antenna - it's practically useless since you won't be able to maintain a signal unless you are literally on top of it (the built in antenna's on laptops are not very strong).
I also use T-Mobile, but without the antenna, have a hard time at most Starbucks while sitting in the car (with the printer hooked up).
And FWIW - I get more signals in the hood than in nice neighborhoods. It blows my mind, but trust me, there are tons more signals in Koreatown, than in Westwood.
The T-Mobile is nice when you need to be sure you're on a safe network.

ROZ
07-20-2006, 10:25 AM
In the span of maybe 2 miles I hit on 18 open/unsecured wireless access points. Not in Havasu but its an indication of how many people and offices have wireless routers and don't take the time to configure them right.
Getting access shouldn't be a problem.
Forensic
I is po folk, and live in a getto. Thankz jesus all my naburs haves wireless unsecured. Iz never gona pays fo internet axis agaen! :D

Cheap Thrills
07-20-2006, 10:51 AM
if you have some time on your hands....try war driving... not sure if its legal or not in AZ, but from what I understand, if its not encrypted, its free game. the law will get involved if you start sniffing the air or hack encryptions.
find a neighborhood and just run this program....it has an auditable sonar sound that lets you know when your close to a wireless connection....works great when I need to remote into work for an emergancy fix when im travelling.
http://www.netstumbler.com/
I use this too along with Travroute (http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gps-travroute_laptop1.html) to log GPS and stores them for future reference. Good VooDoo Magic :D
C.T. :wink: