PDA

View Full Version : Invalid Arrests (Havasu)

TCHB
07-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Invalid Arrests
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - Several young men have been arrested over the last few days by Lake Havasu City police under the city’s new tough “Offensive Conduct” ordinance. Unfortunately, it’s not a “new” ordinance just yet. Charlie Cassens, Communications Director for the city says “regrettably, the officers were unaware of the delay in the effective date of the ordinance, and made the arrests citing a section of the Code that had been formally adopted by City Council (7-0,) but had not yet taken effect.”
Cassens adds that “although both of the offenses could have been charged under other provisions of the Code, the charges will be withdrawn because they were charged under a currently invalid Section.” Also, a good defense attorney could knock out the charges against his client also.

Phat Matt
07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Pair arrested under new rule released
BY MICHAEL HAYS
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:34 PM MDT
There has been some confusion in Lake Havasu City over the exact enforceable date of a new ordinance, resulting in the dropping of charges against two men.
As reported Tuesday, police arrested two people this past weekend under the new ordinance entitled “Offensive Conduct in Public Places,” one for urinating on a car and the other for using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated.
The major problem with those arrests is the ordinance was not to take effect until 30 days after its official public posting - a time that has not arrived yet.
The ordinance, voted for by all seven members of City Council, will apply to all public places, not just Bridgewater Channel and Lake Havasu. It essentially will give officers greater flexibility with arresting people under a single city ordinance. Indecent exposure, public intoxication, violent acts, and abusive or obscene language all fall under this law.
According to both Charlie Cassens, city spokesman, and the City Clerk's office, the ordinance will take effect August 18, which will be 30 days after posting.
In a memo circulated to media outlets, Cassens writes, “Regrettably, the officers were unaware of the delay in the effective date of the ordinance, and made the arrests citing a section of the Code that had been formally adopted by City Council [on July 11], but had not yet taken effect. Although both of the offenses could have been charged under other provisions of the Code, the charges will be withdrawn because they were charged under a currently invalid Section.”
Charges against the two men will not be re-filed under already existing laws, said Captain Carl Peterson of the Lake Havasu City Police Department.
Joaquin Mendoza, 28, of Los Angeles, was charged under the new ordinance for allegedly urinated on a car on the 1400 block of Queens Bay.
Early Monday morning, police arrested Brian Bilodeau, 23, of Lake Havasu City under the new ordinance for allegedly “using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated,” at a bar on McCulloch Boulevard.
The new ordinance reads, in part, “prohibiting individuals who are intoxicated, and/or who are violent, seriously disruptive, unreasonably loud, or who utter abusive, obscene or offensive language, or engage in indecent exposure, remaining in any public place.”
Mayor Harvey Jackson, speaking at the July 11 council meeting when the ordinance passed, said, “Its practical use is to intercept people before they may violate state statute.”
Violators could be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor - the highest degree of misdemeanor - punishable with a fine up to $2,500 and/or a prison sentence not to exceed six months. The impetus behind the new ordinance can be traced back to Memorial Day weekend. During a May 30 meeting, Police Chief Dan Doyle told councilmembers that the officers' job would be easier if the groups causing problems and inciting others could be forced to leave the area.
On Tuesday, police reports reveled a third arrest on the not-yet-effective ordinance. Chris Bardett, 23, of Lake Havasu City, allegedly yelled and banged on a front door of a residence on Arapaho Drive while intoxicated Monday. Police later found Bardett to be in possession of drug paraphernalia. Section 9.12.070, “Offenses in Public Places” is cited in the arrest report.
It is not known at this time if his charge will be dropped as well.
You may reach the reporter at hays@havasunews.com.
I think punishment should be public stoning. :)
Everyone now needs to be a silent drunk. :D

Jordy
07-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Everyone now needs to be a silent drunk. :D
To quote Ron White, "I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability." :D :D :D

Devil's Advocate
07-19-2006, 08:25 PM
To quote Ron White, "I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability." :D :D :D
He's a crack-up, love that line... :D

Phat Matt
07-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Next they might vote in a "No Jordys Allowed" law. :cry:

2Driver
07-19-2006, 08:30 PM
. Unfortunately, it’s not a “new” ordinance just yet. Charlie Cassens, Communications Director for the city says “regrettably, the officers were unaware of the delay in the effective date of the ordinance, and made the arrests citing a section of the Code .
What imbeciles. How could that happen? What buffoons. City of idiots. :rolleyes:

Jordy
07-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Next they might vote in a "No Jordys Allowed" law. :cry:
I think they already did with this last ordinance. Apparently they don't like people who like to have fun. I'm out. :( :D :D :D

Havasu1986
07-19-2006, 08:36 PM
How much time did you spend this time.

OCMerrill
07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Actually they call him "Tater Salad" :)
My Favorite line...
"I didn't know how may of those bouncers it was going to take to Kick my Ass? But, I knew how many they were going to use!"

Kilrtoy
07-19-2006, 08:42 PM
WE NEED LAWS TO HELP THE POLICE...WHAT A BUNCH OF ...........
I have in my hands the Arizona criminal law book and these new laws THAT ARE SO NEEDED ...
WELL They are already on the books. I found an exsisting law for everything they created...
What a waste of taxpayers money

Jordy
07-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Actually they call him "Tater Salad" :)
My Favorite line...
"I didn't know how may of those bouncers it was going to take to Kick my Ass? But, I knew how many they were going to use!"
I wasn't drunk in public, I was drunk in the bar, they threw me out in public. :D :D :D

Throttle
07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
good stuff jordy! again lmao!

NOTALENT
07-20-2006, 05:40 AM
So would women gettin freaky (Dancing) on boats in the channel fall under one of these new laws??? I thought I read a post where the popos were giving out warnings about this???

MRSDRMCAT
07-20-2006, 06:04 AM
My friend was dancing on the hatch of her boat when the police called her over and told her that they are cracking down on this kind of "behavior" and that next time they will take her jail so fast " for lewd and lascivious behavior"

spectratoad
07-20-2006, 06:12 AM
WE NEED LAWS TO HELP THE POLICE...WHAT A BUNCH OF ...........
I have in my hands the Arizona criminal law book and these new laws THAT ARE SO NEEDED ...
WELL They are already on the books. I found an exsisting law for everything they created...
What a waste of taxpayers money
That was my take on this. Why do we keep making laws and add confusion instead of enforcing already existing laws. :mad:
Here is a part of the story stating my case.
Although both of the offenses could have been charged under other provisions of the Code, the charges will be withdrawn because they were charged under a currently invalid Section.”
Charges against the two men will not be re-filed under already existing laws, said Captain Carl Peterson of the Lake Havasu City Police Department.

NOTALENT
07-20-2006, 06:51 AM
My friend was dancing on the hatch of her boat when the police called her over and told her that they are cracking down on this kind of "behavior" and that next time they will take her jail so fast " for lewd and lascivious behavior"
WTF??? Havasu is going to become BEAUMONT (The city from Footloose). How in the hell are they going to arrest you for dancing!!! :mad:

Goad
07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
As reported Tuesday, police arrested two people this past weekend under the new ordinance entitled “Offensive Conduct in Public Places,” one for urinating on a car and the other for using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated.
honestly, i think the cops had every right to arrest these guys. since when is urinating in public (on private property) legal? Wouldnt you be upset to find someone pissing on your car?!
and offensive gestures and language while intoxicated? im sure the guy was drunk as shit and grabbing his nuts and telling some girl to suck his balls. ...aka drunk in public.
I understand the problem of the cops citing people for a not yet active city code, but i dont understand why you guys are making a big deal out of this new ordinance.
bottom line - use your head and respect the people around you and there wont be a problem :)

Magic34
07-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Wait....
A guy is wasted, knocking on a door of someone's house or apartment, and let's assume that if he is yelling while knocking, it is threatening.
So, the cop arrests him based on the new law? What the hell was in place where the arrest could stem from before? They couldn't allow this in the past, there is no way.
You have got to be kidding me. I have no problem with people being drunk in public. Sometimes, it can be fun to watch, BUT if a guy is at my front door wasted and yelling while knocking, if the law doesn't beat him with a book, I will.
Havasu better figure out their ass from their head or this will get worse via attorneys and much more. All the PR work Havasu has done in the past will take a few steps back.

Phat Matt
07-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Wait....
A guy is wasted, knocking on a door of someone's house or apartment, and let's assume that if he is yelling while knocking, it is threatening.
So, the cop arrests him based on the new law? What the hell was in place where the arrest could stem from before? They couldn't allow this in the past, there is no way.
You have got to be kidding me. I have no problem with people being drunk in public. Sometimes, it can be fun to watch, BUT if a guy is at my front door wasted and yelling while knocking, if the law doesn't beat him with a book, I will.
Havasu better figure out their ass from their head or this will get worse via attorneys and much more. All the PR work Havasu has done in the past will take a few steps back.
What if it's a party and it is your friends house and they are messing with you. The same could happen and you could be booked.

Magic34
07-20-2006, 10:26 AM
What if it's a party and it is your friends house and they are messing with you. The same could happen and you could be booked.
The party needs to stop somewhere, people do "live" in the city. I understand you point, but what about the neighbor who is freaked out because their 5 year old is asleep in the other room, and they just got done watching the nightly news about a home invasion.
Not trying to go all Oprah here, but if a guy was banging on my neighbor's door and yelling as stated above, that should warrant a call to the cops and they shouldn't need a new law to arrest for it. I cant understand why the officer even used it, there surely had to be something in the past they used.
Today, you dont know who the heck is going to do what.

HM
07-20-2006, 10:44 AM
The party needs to stop somewhere, people do "live" in the city. I understand you point, but what about the neighbor who is freaked out because their 5 year old is asleep in the other room, and they just got done watching the nightly news about a home invasion.
Not trying to go all Oprah here, but if a guy was banging on my neighbor's door and yelling as stated above, that should warrant a call to the cops and they shouldn't need a new law to arrest for it. I cant understand why the officer even used it, there surely had to be something in the past they used.
Today, you dont know who the heck is going to do what.
I thought you had no opinion here...and now you are beating people with a book? Is that the holy book? You are trying to take my rights away of being able to get drunk and bang on your door!!!! You bible thumping focker!!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:) :)

Magic34
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I thought you had no opinion here...and now you are beating people with a book? Is that the holy book? You are trying to take my rights away of being able to get drunk and bang on your door!!!! You bible thumping focker!!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:) :)
Hey now :220v: .... When it comes down to it, this law is bringing a lot of attention to Havasu, and you would think that in the meetings with the police chief and his/her officers, they would say, here is the new law but have it in big bold print that it does not take effect until "whatever the date is." Those meetings have taken place now, by the response from the media, but they should have happened and been very clear on day one. Now people who should have been arrested, are getting that free card to get out of jail.
I'm always game for a good, decent debate, just not the drama debates. :rollside:
Oh yeah, I'm not hitting my online computer club friends with a book, as lame as that sounds... I'm hitting the drunk beating on my door.

BajaMike
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Invalid Arrests
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - Several young men have been arrested over the last few days by Lake Havasu City police under the city’s new tough “Offensive Conduct” ordinance. Unfortunately, it’s not a “new” ordinance just yet. Charlie Cassens, Communications Director for the city says “regrettably, the officers were unaware of the delay in the effective date of the ordinance, and made the arrests citing a section of the Code that had been formally adopted by City Council (7-0,) but had not yet taken effect.”
Cassens adds that “although both of the offenses could have been charged under other provisions of the Code, the charges will be withdrawn because they were charged under a currently invalid Section.” Also, a good defense attorney could knock out the charges against his client also.
The police chief should be fired....doesn't he brief his men on when a new law takes effect???.... or does he just let them read about it in the newspaper.
Morons..... :yuk:

HM
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
WTF???...How in the hell are they going to arrest you for dancing!!! :mad:
This is just a guess...but I don't think they are hassleing anyone for doing the whiteman overbite dance. I have a feeling it is just a tad more provocative than that and tends to draw an audience - especially if they are wearing a g-string and shaking it like a polaroid picture.
don't get me wrong....I love the ladies. They really rev my engines. but they don't belong in the newsroom....I mean doing a stripper dance in the channel. As BOATCOP has said...get rid of the (skin) shows, and you get rid of the bad element that is causing most the problems. Even if there wasn't a bad element in the channel, I still don't want it there.
Hey, they go off to an area that is not in the mainstream of the lake or river where people have to go on purpose for the purpose of doing that....I have no problem with that!!!
Just my 2 cents, although I have been accused of conducting a sermon - The Reverend HolyMoly has a nice sound to it. :D

HM
07-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Hey now :220v: .... When it comes down to it, this law is bringing a lot of attention to Havasu, and you would think that in the meetings with the police chief and his/her officers, they would say, here is the new law but have it in big bold print that it does not take effect until "whatever the date is." Those meetings have taken place now, by the response from the media, but they should have happened and been very clear on day one. Now people who should have been arrested, are getting that free card to get out of jail.
I'm always game for a good, decent debate, just not the drama debates. :rollside:
Oh yeah, I'm not hitting my online computer club friends with a book, as lame as that sounds... I'm hitting the drunk beating on my door.
I agree...they let some people get a get out of jail card for stupidity. Unfortunately, stupidity does not seem to be in a shortage with Havasu officials - even if I do like the new stupid ordinance.
Online computer club friends has such a geeky sound to it! :D

Magic34
07-20-2006, 11:16 AM
On July 4th, the house behind me was having a party. It was a high school party with no parents.
This was just after our race on July 1. I was in the sun for about 11 hours straight each day at a race track in long pants and I got sick 1/2 through the trip. It was about 99 degrees with 30% humidity and we had to have long pants on being in the pit/garage area. This was on June 30 and July 1, and I had worked for a ton of hours for the days leading up to the race trip working on my promos. I have a meeting all day in Kansas City on Sunday (after the race, now July 2), then I rush to the airport in my suit to get on a plane and head to PHX.
The wife was disappointed that we weren't doing the lake for the 4th and we missed the fireworks on Pleasant because of the race. So we discussed going to the lake on Monday and spending the night and coming home Tuesday afternoon from the lake. So she picks me up in the truck, we get the boat on the way home, about 8 PM and I'm dead tired, and then I play with my little girl for 3 hours who I haven't seen in 4 days.
Wake up, and clean the boat and then go to the lake. I'm sick too, with zero voice, but we go anyways. Sleep like crap (probably 2 hours worth at the most) on the boat and as soon as 8 AM hits, I get the boat on the trailer and come home (July 4th now).
OK, why am I bitching...... I am tired as hell and pissed because I have not slept. We took our daughter to watch fireworks at a nearby church and traffic sucked. I am on 2 hours sleep, etc....
Well, remember that nice sotry of the party at the beginning of this book? It is now 11:15 PM and time for us to go to sleep. Lay my little girl down and the wife and I try to go to sleep. The lovely neighbor kid behind me was having his little party and had the stereo on with the windows open and sliding door wide open. I could hear every word from the music and the drunk 18 year olds in the back yard as well. I looked over the fence and saw them drinking, and I was only in high school 8 years ago, so I knod of remember what I did.
Now we are on 3/4-1 acre lots, with trees in between, but I still could hear everything and it was pissing me off. I was dead beat tired and it was keeping everyone awake. So, I called the Mesa ploice and they said OK, we'll send someone out.
Well, over an hour later, no cops and I called again, about 3 times in that hour. I have been in a few parties where high school fights have started and I didn't want 20 against 1, so my cops were my only option. On my last call to the cops, I told them that this is the only thing I have ever called for and thanks for not coming. It was 4th of July night, so I give them that, but the sub-station is literally 1.3 miles away from my house.
So the next 2 mornings at like 6 am, I set my alarm and woke up to go to the house and ring the bell until someone answered. Day 1 no ansewr, but day 2 I woke someone up. I told them that if they wanted to keep me up when they were, I was going to return the favor every once in a while.
No more parties so far, we'll see how it goes.
My point.... actually I have no idea what it is at this point, but I typed so much I cant delete it.

Magic34
07-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree...they let some people get a get out of jail card for stupidity. Unfortunately, stupidity does not seem to be in a shortage with Havasu officials - even if I do like the new stupid ordinance.
Online computer club friends has such a geeky sound to it! :D
The worst is when you have friends who have no idea what ***boat is, and someone asks, "are you Magic34?"
I kind of look down and say, yeah it's a 34' Magic and point to the boat. Then I try to change the discussion with the person quick.
Computer club, computer club. I feel like I derserve to get beat up.
The worst was after the DCB regatta, my distributor in Havasu calls me, not knowing anything about ***boat I think, and says "hey Magic34." Basically teasing me. I felt like a tool. :220v:

lawbreaker2
07-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Sorry flofercer I was'nt dancing I was having a seizer :messedup: Now what did I do with my drugs. :lightsabe

2Driver
07-20-2006, 11:41 AM
My point.... actually I have no idea what it is at this point, but I typed so much I cant delete it.
Too funny. Next time tell the dispatcher " it sounds like someone is yelling for help over there" and I bet you get a faster response. :rollside:
We only have old Sheriff Joe's guys up here. If you tell them you think it is an illegall Mexican they will send 4 cars in about 20 seconds. I tried it, it really worked.

HM
07-20-2006, 12:17 PM
The worst is when you have friends who have no idea what ***boat is, and someone asks, "are you Magic34?"
I kind of look down and say, yeah it's a 34' Magic and point to the boat. Then I try to change the discussion with the person quick.
Computer club, computer club. I feel like I derserve to get beat up.
The worst was after the DCB regatta, my distributor in Havasu calls me, not knowing anything about ***boat I think, and says "hey Magic34." Basically teasing me. I felt like a tool. :220v:
Topless just called my office and asked for HolyMoly. Luckily, BoatFloating was sitting right next to me. :D

Magic34
07-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Too funny. Next time tell the dispatcher " it sounds like someone is yelling for help over there" and I bet you get a faster response. :rollside:
We only have old Sheriff Joe's guys up here. If you tell them you think it is an illegall Mexican they will send 4 cars in about 20 seconds. I tried it, it really worked.
It did feel better to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening. :rollside:

Phat Matt
07-20-2006, 01:32 PM
How about this senario.
There is a party going on in D-row. Every is drunk. Someone passed out early and went to their trailer. The group goes to find him and bangs on his trailer to get up and stop being a puss.
Should everyone go to jail? They sure could if the cops wanted to. Chances are a few choice words would be coming from the group.
That is my point. I am not talking about banging on some random neighbors door.

topless
07-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Topless just called my office and asked for HolyMoly. Luckily, BoatFloating was sitting right next to me. :D :crossx: :crossx: At least now when i call your office I don't hear the sex chat line anymore.

Magic34
07-20-2006, 01:55 PM
How about this senario.
There is a party going on in D-row. Every is drunk. Someone passed out early and went to their trailer. The group goes to find him and bangs on his trailer to get up and stop being a puss.
Should everyone go to jail? They sure could if the cops wanted to. Chances are a few choice words would be coming from the group.
That is my point. I am not talking about banging on some random neighbors door.
Good point, but doesn't crazyhorse have it's own security that would handle the situation?
Also, you can quietly rock a trailer as well to wake someone up. :crossx: Matt, you do make a valid point, but at what point/age do you say the puss when to bed who cares? However, I am making this statement having never been to Crazyhorse. So different rules may apply.
Now at the dunes, I'm knocking on the door, but I feel it is OK since loud bikes are driving by all damn night. :rollside:
But none of that even matters because didn't D-Row break up because having an internet club of another internet club was not cool? :crossx: Just kidding, dont go all Suge on me. :rollside:
EDIT: Your point is exactly right though and the police need to get a grip on what exactly they should be charging people with if even charging them at all before it gets out of hand.
On the situation above, IF the police must respond, a simple warning should be sufficient, but that may make too much sense for Havasu.

Phat Matt
07-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Also, you can quietly rock a trailer as well to wake someone up. :crossx:
Matt, you do make a valid point, but at what point/age do you say the puss when to bed who cares? However, I am making this statement having never been to Crazyhorse. So different rules may apply.
Not when you are drunk. :D
LOL. I am not sure. Most of those fockers are old. :crossx: ;)
:D

Magic34
07-20-2006, 03:43 PM
LOL. I am not sure. Most of those fockers are old. :crossx: ;)
:D
LMAO :D:D:D

sorry dog
07-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Book her Dano!
http://img42.imagevenue.com/loc556/th_76782_pp.jpg_556lo.jpeg (http://img42.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=76782_pp.jpg_556lo.jpeg)

ROZ
07-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Book her Dano!
http://img42.imagevenue.com/loc556/th_76782_pp.jpg_556lo.jpeg (http://img42.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=76782_pp.jpg_556lo.jpeg)
Drip dry ?