PDA

View Full Version : Intake hanging too low...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
I just micd the front of my intake and its hanging .280 below my keel. I know that it isnt right. I have talked to several people and most said to gring it down to match the hull and others said to pull the intake and reset it. what shoudld I do?

Cole1313
01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I just micd the front of my intake and its hanging .280 below my keel. I know that it isnt right. I have talked to several people and most said to gring it down to match the hull and others said to pull the intake and reset it. what shoudld I do?
You just need a new boat. ahahhahaa. By the time you get that boat working the 2006 season is going to be over. j/k

Cole1313
01-09-2006, 02:54 PM
and bye the time you sell your cole its going to be 2015...............
Easy there 460, get back to where you belong.

Oldsquirt
01-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Sounds like the perfect excuse to pull it, machine it for a shoe and rideplate and then reset it properly.

sleekcrafter
01-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Thats almost a 1/4inch,quite a lot. I was going to say if your fast enough, to where you could benefit from a spoon or preload bubble on the bottom, you could rectify the problem that way. I seems you may have no other choice, thats alot to grind off, it's much easier to reset the intake, no to mention, the goodie you can add, while it's out, ie: shoe, ride plate, set-back. Oops did I say that?? keeps us posted...
Sleek

MikeF
01-09-2006, 03:34 PM
If you really,really,really,really,really,really,really, like that hull......then I'd say do it. :220v: :)
Once you reset the intake, now the engine is gonna need to be aligned to the now correctly aligned pump. Gonna need new motor plates/mounts/redrilling stringers.....and so on.
I'd save the $ you'd spend on the "fix" and sell yours and find one that is already correct and buy that one. It would be the easiest way out. :boxed:
Bad Kachina, bad, bad Kachina. (such as your dog named Kachina that just pooped on the carpet........why did you do that!?) :crossx:

MikeF
01-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Just grind it out. :mix:

Cs19
01-09-2006, 03:52 PM
you can just shim the motor up if you have a rail kit, no big deal.Lift the jet 1/4", lift the engine 1/4".
If you like the boat then do it the right way. There is still plenty of time.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Ok so if I pull the intake then how do I reset the intake? I have never dont that before. Could someone please explain this to me....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-09-2006, 04:27 PM
you can just shim the motor up if you have a rail kit, no big deal.Lift the jet 1/4", lift the engine 1/4".
If you like the boat then do it the right way. There is still plenty of time.
I am going to install a railkit so thats no biggie. I am just lost on the lifting of the intake. I might be considering the shoe and rideplate kit as well. I spoke to dan nelson he said it takes alot of motor to run a shoe. He said If im running 81mph with the pump like it is then leave it. I just dont like the way the intake is hanging down like that. Kachina did a bad job of setting the intake like that......

supersoaker509
01-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I just did mine, it was a 1/2in low. The hardest part is cutting out the intake. Hammer Down was a big help. If I can do it so, it's not that hard. I say if you like your boat go for it and do it right.
This was mine
http://www.geocities.com/scooter20735/Other/B3.JPG

beerjet
01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Why do you have a flat keel intake in that boat ???
so I'm not just seein things

Oldsquirt
01-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Why do you have a flat keel intake in that boat ???
Check this thread. .Intake Help (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98946)
That's his "before" picture. He recognized the problem and corrected it.

MikeF
01-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Some custom boat builders weren't so custom! :skull:

supersoaker509
01-09-2006, 06:00 PM
It was a contured intake that someone machined down. Why ? Don't ask me, why they installed it that way. I have no clue.
I did install the same intake after some mods. Will get some pics tomorrow.

supersoaker509
01-09-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm not a body man, but here's some pics
http://www.geocities.com/scooter20735/Other/I4.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/scooter20735/Other/I5.JPG

sleekcrafter
01-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Nice work, did you build up the center on top,in the front? the bottom looks a little less round now.
Sleek

supersoaker509
01-09-2006, 06:44 PM
I welded up the intake and then ground it to the conture of the boat and tapered it to the loader pocket, and sea goin epoxy puddy is some awesome stuff. I plan on trying some other loaders so I did not blend it in. It has speed coat on it and it did not help the pics.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Jim, I dont have pics because I was busy today. I will get pics up tomorrow. Mine looks similar to soakers but instead of being close in the center and off on the outsides its the exact opposite. Mine has the correct intake but the middle portion is raised(.280) and the sides are alot closer.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Aby info on lifting the intake up???

supersoaker509
01-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Have you gotten any help yet?

PC Rat
01-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Without trying to decide if .28+" bed of epoxy putty is too thick to set the intake in, or trying to build the hull up thicker with fiberglass mat, you might consider using some aluminum bar as a spacer. Cut and drill the bar to match the intake mounting flange. Trial fit (of course) using the corner leveling bolts in the intake. Then apply a good coat of epoxy putty to the intake flange, the aluminum bars, and the hull (to make sure there are no voids) and set the intake.
Brian

BrendellaJet
01-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Without trying to decide if .28+" bed of epoxy putty is too thick to set the intake in, or trying to build the hull up thicker with fiberglass mat, you might consider using some aluminum bar as a spacer. Cut and drill the bar to match the intake mounting flange. Trial fit (of course) using the corner leveling bolts in the intake. Then apply a good coat of epoxy putty to the intake flange, the aluminum bars, and the hull (to make sure there are no voids) and set the intake.
Brian
Not sure I understand that...why the spacer when you can use the leveling bolts?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Ok brendella, can you break it down for me???

PC Rat
01-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Not sure I understand that...why the spacer when you can use the leveling bolts?
I thought that having over 1/4" of epoxy may be too thick, and with some flex in the hull the epoxy may break up in time. I was just throwing out the idea of using aluminum flat bar ran all the way around the perimeter, under the mounting flange, to take up most of the space.
Brian

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
I thought that having over 1/4" of epoxy may be too thick, and with some flex in the hull the epoxy may break up in time. I was just throwing out the idea of using aluminum flat bar ran all the way around the perimeter, under the mounting flange, to take up most of the space.
Brian
That seens logical. I am looking for other ideas as well...
Anybody?????
Seems like people blow off the technical questions and post where all the bullshit is...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tahitijet
01-12-2006, 08:16 PM
That seens logical. I am looking for other ideas as well...
Anybody?????
Seems like people blow off the technical questions and post where all the bullshit is...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If your asking how to set the intake in the 4 corners the holes are threded for i think a 3/8 bolt insert the bolts in those holes, install the intake and then take all measurments adjusting each bolt and rechecking all measurments till the intake is level and square and at the right height. once set outline the intake with tape leaving some gap between the intake and tape and remove the intake without disturbing the 4 bolts. mix and put down your epoxy make sure to build up enough to fill all voids. reinstall the intake and push down hard to set it in the epoxy.
wait a while for the epoxy to start to set and smooth it with your finger then remove the tape. after the epoxy has hardened fully remove the 4 bolts, drill out the mounting holes bolt the intake in and mix the remaning epoxy and cover all the bolt heads and the edges/transition of the intake. then sand those areas smooth.
thats the best i can remember from when i did mine.
oh by the way do not be suprised if it takes you a full day. Take your time make sure it's perfect before you mix your epoxy. setting the intake didnt take much time at all. getting it in the right place took a long time.

BrendellaJet
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
When I bought my hull I had no idea what I was doing. All I saw was a shitty red paint job that I thought looked cool, a red scoop and some chrome bassets. Upon further research I found that it was a good hull but needed a few changes for peak performance-namely getting rid of the delta pad on the bottom.
The intake was made for a delta pad hull(looks like yours may be too 396. This isn't necessarily bad, but not as good as it could be.(I could be wrong, maybe it is right for your hull...) Anyway-for whatever reason I had A LOT of epoxy holding my intake in.(obviously because without it the intake would be setting down too far) Up to an inch thick around the perimiter. Had been in there for about 30 years and didn't leak, no cracks and didn't want to let go of the intake either. Im not saying its right to set it like that, just how mine was done and that it worked fine.
Personally I would research some others who have the same hull. Squirtcha? comes to mind. Might want to get a look at his intake install and compare the area ahead of the intake. Find a good straight edge. 6 feet preferably, and lay it on your keel. how far away is it from your "shoe" area? I think this should guide you in your next step:
Note: I just looked at the pic and it appears as though the intake is hanging below your keel. This is not ideal, however if you are happy with your boats performance then run it. If you have plans of going faster-and I think the general consensus is that hull is capable of mid 80s with no bottom work, maybe more, then yank the intake and do it right.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Good info fellas;) I will pull the motor and then take lots of pics to get better ideas. I felt it cavatating when I pulled the droop off. It was cavatating at WOT on glass water. Thats how I know that the pump is getting air. When I had the droop on it would push the ass down and keep the pump loaded.
Brendella, my boat is running in the 80's with the stock bottom right now;) I think I would get better performance with a shoe and the intake fixed;) Im not trying to be the fastest but I do want to correct the small issues....

beerjet
01-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Good info fellas;) I will pull the motor and then take lots of pics to get better ideas. I felt it cavatating when I pulled the droop off. It was cavatating at WOT on glass water. Thats how I know that the pump is getting air. When I had the droop on it would push the ass down and keep the pump loaded.
Brendella, my boat is running in the 80's with the stock bottom right now;) I think I would get better performance with a shoe and the intake fixed;) Im not trying to be the fastest but I do want to correct the small issues....
Just out of curiousity, what does a cavitating pump feel like

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Just out of curiousity, what does a cavitating pump feel like
It slows then you feel it speed up. Kinda like letting off the gas. Then you see the r's go up... I saw about 200-400 rpm increase when it was cavatating...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-12-2006, 10:03 PM
That sounds reasonalble, but with your impeller it kind of cancelles that out. Too many problems to direct it definatively at one thing.
Very true but there was an issue before the impeller condition.....
From what I am hearing a shoe is a bandaid for a poorly loading pump.I really don't think by doing these things you will gain anything except a quicker plane time. :cool:
Ok so who said this jim??? I would like to know,im just curious. Thats new to me!!!
I no your not trying to be the fastest or you would have Nelsons BBF in there.
I do need a new boat anchor.......Hmmmm very good idea:D :crossx: :p

Aluminum Squirt
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM
I can't comment on if a shoe is a bandaid, but I have seen a lot of white water boats with no shoe or loader running in the 110's. I'm not a very good sorce of info because my aluminum boat isn't all that fast. My set up is very basic. Take this over to the Eagle racing forum and see if anybody has any comments over there. We can't have anything delicate hanging below our boats, it would get torn off on the first sand bar.The fast guys use spoons, no loader, no shoe, but our boats are extremely poor performers out of the hole. I'm not sure if that's more related to our nozzle set up or the intake set up, but its worth asking. There are some very helful people over there, they just don't tolerate the drama we get over here on occasion-Aluminum Squirt