PDA

View Full Version : First time out...

MISSING
07-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Finally got the ignition installed and the timing set...found out I needed to do some last minute wiring upgrades...and add some teflon to some connections...hit the river...found out about the pump not getting water for a while with the droop...and my custom steering tube apparently didn't work, so I had no steering...took it out and figured that out...then put it back in and it was having trouble starting, pumped the gas and found out the 33c cable wasn't attached as tight as it could have been to the gas peddle...to get to the dock, had to climb over the headers, got a nice burn on my leg...So first day out was a bit of a learning experience not to mention a big dissapointment...oh well, going to fix it all and hopefully give'r another try today...Oh, and people were saying to put an inner tube in the front, I decided to try and use pool noodles...put 4 down each side...probably gonna put another 2-4 on each side and a couple up front, that way I don't have to worry about screws popping an inner tube...

IMPATIENT 1
07-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Finally got the ignition installed and the timing set...found out I needed to do some last minute wiring upgrades...and add some teflon to some connections...hit the river...found out about the pump not getting water for a while with the droop...and my custom steering tube apparently didn't work, so I had no steering...took it out and figured that out...then put it back in and it was having trouble starting, pumped the gas and found out the 33c cable wasn't attached as tight as it could have been to the gas peddle...to get to the dock, had to climb over the headers, got a nice burn on my leg...So first day out was a bit of a learning experience not to mention a big dissapointment...oh well, going to fix it all and hopefully give'r another try today...Oh, and people were saying to put an inner tube in the front, I decided to try and use pool noodles...put 4 down each side...probably gonna put another 2-4 on each side and a couple up front, that way I don't have to worry about screws popping an inner tube...
hang in there bro, it gets better, eventually,lol.

DelawareDave
07-20-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm sure a few of us here have been in your position, at one time or another. At least you remembered to put the drain plug in. :) You did remember, didn't you? :eek:

snake321
07-20-2006, 08:02 AM
I couldn't begin to add up the money I've saved on fuel by getting towed in.....

IMPATIENT 1
07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
I couldn't begin to add up the money I've saved on fuel by getting towed in.....
here's a man with the rite attitude! :)

MISSING
07-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the support...good news was the engine sounded really good...plug was in...luckily everything happened close to the dock so I managed to back and forth it back to the dock...without having the air release thing on the bowl, whats he best way to not get the air lock? How bad for the pump is it to run untill the air is gone? Didn't seem to be getting water to the headers either, I have a temp control unit, and had the gate valves front and back wide open...does the engine have to be fully warm for it to start flowing? Judging by my leg burn, I'd say the engine was pretty hot...

Squirtcha?
07-20-2006, 09:07 AM
This works from what I've heard. Easy to install and fairly inexpensive. Drill and tap the top of the pump bowl and screw it in.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/Prime-A-Jet_9819_new_design_2.jpg
Personally, I just got used to the fact that I'd have to wait a few seconds to evacuate the air from the pump and have control. It's not a huge deal in most cases (provided you take it into consideration).
Don't sweat the little stuff. Most of us that buy used boats (particularly projects) have to sort out some problems.

GUGS102
07-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the support...good news was the engine sounded really good...plug was in...luckily everything happened close to the dock so I managed to back and forth it back to the dock...without having the air release thing on the bowl, whats he best way to not get the air lock? How bad for the pump is it to run untill the air is gone? Didn't seem to be getting water to the headers either, I have a temp control unit, and had the gate valves front and back wide open...does the engine have to be fully warm for it to start flowing? Judging by my leg burn, I'd say the engine was pretty hot...
The system "should have" a T before the water injectors. This is pressure activated. At idle you should have no water in the headers. Next time you go out watch the RPM for when the headers start steaming, indicating water injection. You want to make sure you are not injecting water under 1700RPM or so.
Keep your head up. On the way to the lake once we installed a new helm and cable. After hooking it up I asked one of the guys if it was turning the nozzle,"yep, fully both directions"
Put it in the water and it had the most unusual handling at idle, no matter what I did I could not get it to go where I wanted. After scratching my head and checking for myself the nozzle was operating in both directions I realized although it was working, it was turning the opposite direction.
Back to the beach to flip the rack and pinion. Live and learn. :)
Gugs