PDA

View Full Version : BBQ island stereo????

core attitude
07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
We want to put a small sound system in our BBQ island for some ambiance while we're chillin' n grillin'. The most logical thing to us seems to be a car audio set up so we can flush mount the head unit and speakers and maybe throw a small amp or sub inside if we choose. We're just looking for some feed back on the feasibility etc. and info on how to convert from 110 so it works, any ideas?

Havasu1986
07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Go to a store that sells them and look at how they do them.

shockwavebd
07-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I am doing a set up like that right now for our new Island it should be very cool ...going with remote commanders also...all you need is a power converter do a search on line you'll find a bunch

core attitude
07-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Go to a store that sells them and look at how they do them.
We didn't see a single one at any of the places we hit when we bought ours.......plenty in spas but none in the BBQs.

vegasriverjunkie
07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
You can use any car stereo, just put a cover just like the boat setup. On my personal BBQ Island I used a detachable face with a remote. You can go to radio shack and they sell the converters there. There about 100 bucks. PM me if you have any questions.

core attitude
07-20-2006, 04:00 PM
You can use any car stereo, just put a cover just like the boat setup. On my personal BBQ Island I used a detachable face with a remote. You can go to radio shack and they sell the converters there. There about 100 bucks. PM me if you have any questions.
Cool, thank you very much.

ROZ
07-20-2006, 04:11 PM
You can do that, but why? Use the money to run it from your home system and have the same music piped throughtout your property for your listening enjoyment...
Shit, I have my Itunes playing from/in my office area, patio, and rear pool area playing right now..
Time to go mow the lawn :D
BTW. if you want to know 12v system model numbers, I can get it for you tomorrow.. Comes with the inverter...

BajaMike
07-20-2006, 04:17 PM
How about just getting one of those ipod boomboxes...
Like this....
http://content.pagecomputers.com/images/PC874379.jpg
Or this....
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1079/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/bosesd_unified_125.jpg

Boozer
07-20-2006, 04:17 PM
You can do that, but why? Use the money to run it from your home system and have the same music piped throughtout your property for your listening enjoyment...
Shit, I have my Itunes playing from/in my office area, patio, and rear pool area playing right now..
BTW. if you want to know 12v system model numbers, I can get it for you tomorrow.. Comes with the inverter...
Can you wire off of a BOSE system affordably? I wired my fathers family room up with a BOSE system. I looked into doing multi rooms with it but can not find an affordable way to make it into a multi room system. He is in the process of building an island bar b q and at this point is looking at going the car stereo route as well due to it being the least expensive way.

core attitude
07-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Why????? How about 2 teen age kids who will crank the crap out of it as soon as we bail and piss off all the neighbors. :D Our house backs up to a ravine and in the evening normal conversation carries all the way across. We really just want back round sounds to “set the mood”. We also don't have a “home system”, just a Bose in the sitting room that over looks the patio, I'm not sure that would cut it. What does the 12v system consist of?

ROZ
07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Deck, a small converter, a pair of speakers, and I think a remote...
It's a kit they have at the pool supply house... I'll be there tomorrow morning and can check on the price if you like.. atleast get a model number so you can shop the internet..
Yea, Bose can suck in instances like this. They do make a "home system" ,but it's a fw bucks...
I have found that having speakers throughout your back yard will fill the yard with sound at low volume. I dont back a ravine, but a park with a little valley that the noise carries through... I haven't had any complaints yet :)
Curent setup is an older denon receiver, carousel cd player, and my computer that fills the yard and my house...lol...

core attitude
07-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Deck, a small converter, a pair of speakers, and I think a remote...
It's a kit they have at the pool supply house... I'll be there tomorrow morning and can check on the price if you like.. atleast get a model number so you can shop the internet..
Thanks, that would be great and give me a place to start.

haulina29
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Quit half steppin with car stereos and go with something like this
http://www.sonos.com/landing/all_v2_lp1.htm?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Google+Adwords&ovcrn=sonos&ovtac=ppc
then you can set your whole house up to listen to your digital music no messin with cds or radio stations hook the speakers up to the amp that comes with the system flush mount them if you wish in your BBQ and you will be chillin and grillin like nobodies business

Drift
07-20-2006, 10:44 PM
If your house unit is good, I'd go and get wireless speakers. That's what Ive done and it works awesome. RF remote and you can be anywhere to change up the tunes... I can also drive it frome my laptop. :)

ROZ
07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Quit half steppin with car stereos and go with something like this
http://www.sonos.com/landing/all_v2_lp1.htm?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Google+Adwords&ovcrn=sonos&ovtac=ppc
then you can set your whole house up to listen to your digital music no messin with cds or radio stations hook the speakers up to the amp that comes with the system flush mount them if you wish in your BBQ and you will be chillin and grillin like nobodies business
The only problem here is that it's expensive after you add it all up. Someone can go Nuvo for the same money and have more control...
When I was at Tweeter, I priced it for MMD.. I think the base unit was like 500.00 plus each room location was about 400.00...Base plus 3 rooms is roughly 1700.00... Nuvo essentia is about 1800.00 plays 6 zone 6 source and comes with remotes... It's better to go this way if someone can do the work himself...
Also, Yamaha has the music cast... The new version is suppose to be pretty cool...