PDA

View Full Version : Wheel size for an '06 Duramax

Havasu47
07-21-2006, 01:26 PM
I posted this in "Tow vehicles" but not too many people view that thread.
I am getting wheels and tires for my '06 crew cab, long bed 4 x 4, duramax 2500. I hate it when the tires stick outside of the fenders. I know they will a liittle, but I want them as far under as possible.
I want 35" tires and 17" or 18" x 8" wide rims.
What back space do I need to keep them in as far as possible without hitting anything inside.
It is also getting a Pro Comp 6" lift.
Thanks
Brian

mondorally
07-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Have you already decided on a wheel? I know the folks at Boze Alloys (www.bozeforged.com). They can custom make you a set with any offset you request. If you get in touch with them tell 'em Justin sent you.
-Justin

jojoshow
07-21-2006, 03:17 PM
First off ditch the pro comp lift and get a California Super Trucks lift. I know what you mean about the off set of your wheels, you don't want em stickin out. I have Robby Gordon 17 by 8 on my HD and I can't be sure what the off set is. I don't want to lead you down the wrong path. Call those guys at RG off road and ask them. The right off set you want is thier stock GM HD sizing. Hope this helps

1stepcloser
07-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I run a 17X9 inch wheel with a 35" tire. The backspacing is 4.5". this is a fairly standard backspace for the 8 on 6.5" spacing. It will stick out from the fender slightly, but thats gonna be hard to avoid with a 12" tire. :)
First off ditch the pro comp lift and get a California Super Trucks lift .
Why?

Havasu47
07-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Is there a problem with the Pro Comp stuff?

1stepcloser
07-21-2006, 03:58 PM
I did alot of research into a lift for my 05. I chose a Pro-Comp kit for the front and deaver springs in the rear.
I heard lot of remarks not to get Pro Comp cause they have alot of problems, but mostly stuff like "I know a guy..." "mt friend had one...." No first hand experience.
Of course most of the same people all said to get CST cause they are the best! And while CST is a fine kit, I felt that the Pro Comp would do everything I needed it to do, and they have a very high industry reputation.
The kit has only been on for about a month, but it ws very easy to install, fit right the first time, and in the two times it has been off road, has been trouble free.
I am quite happy with the performance of the product and would recommend it to anyone.

Havasu47
07-21-2006, 04:04 PM
The CST kit is about $800.00 more. I dont want to cut corners, but have not heard anything bad about the Pro Comp. The truck will never be "offroaded" only towing the boat or driving around the Motorhome to park in the sand at Glamis.
Thanks for the info so far. Anyone else??

sigepmock
07-21-2006, 06:23 PM
There are two types of lifts for your truck.....the knuckle lift and the full drop lift.
The knuckle lift like RCD and Fabtech leave the upper a-arm in the stock position and lower only the lower one, then use a long spindle to connect the two, this long knuckle limits the amount of back spacing to 4.5" or something close to that. This causes the front tires to stick out.
The Pro-comp and CST lifts are full drop kits and lower both the upper and lower a-arms and use the stock spindle. With this style lift you can run a stock offset with an 18" wheel. This will allow you to "tuck" the wheels in.
If you're going to run a 35" tire you should run at a min. a 9" rim. Most 35's come in a 12.5" width and most if not all recomend a 9" or 10" rim. If you squeeze it on an 8" rm it will cause the tire to bow in the middle and wear funny.
I've lifted a lot of Chevy's, that I've owned and I really like the CST lift, the newer Pro-comps seem to be alright but I've had bad experiences with them in the past....and no not my buddies truck. Just stay away from 4-wheel parts and Pro-Comp tires.
The Toyo and Nitto have the best tires out there right now. I've run BFG's, Pro-Comps, Goodyears in the past and the Toyo Open Country MT's that I'm running now are hands down the best tire I've ever used.
I'm running a CST 6" lift on my 2500HD, with the Toyo's on American Eagle 18" x 10" rims. Let me know if you ave any more questions.
Also give Jason Riley at Rancho Motorsports in Ontario, near the 10 and 15 fwy interchange. He's a hot boater and has a bitchen lifted 2006 2500HD.
(909) 390-9722, tell him you are a ***boater and he'll hook you up. At least he can give you some info and pricing to compare with.
Good luck,
Chris Mock

Havasu47
07-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks Chris,
Good information!