PDA

View Full Version : Boat Burns

missspent
07-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Sitting on our deck here in Havasu watching a boat burn north of Windsor Beach launch ramp....Wow! It was really sad looked like a big boat (30-40 feet). Does anyone have any information? Hate to see that kind of stuff my condolences to ALL on board and hope everyone is OK....
View our Channel Shots
www.lakehavasucityinfo.com

HocusPocus
07-21-2006, 06:19 PM
that doesn't sound good at all. :(

missspent
07-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Big Fire...we live up and beside the Refuge, O.K, humble folks in tract 1082. With my old "40" power Navy binock's, could see people in the water, thing was surrounded by boats. Good size boat, from where we were, looked like one of those big "Bayliner" types with cabin, had rail around the front deck, keep in mind we are old and the "eye's" even with help just are not what they use to be. Could be wrong...but "defff" did not look like a performace boat...could be wrong!

AZKC
07-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Rumour has it it was a Fountain.

2forcefull
07-21-2006, 06:38 PM
my buddy is on the water, says it's a fountain

missspent
07-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Poped the Fountain Web-site...checked the inventory...from my view, could very well be true.

25dic
07-21-2006, 10:03 PM
I went by about 8:30 and Vessel Assist had it tied up with the air bags, nothing but the bow sticking up. Didn't stop wanted to beat the wind and rain.

PowellScooter
07-22-2006, 06:10 AM
Hope its not Don, Morning Mark!

phebus
07-22-2006, 06:12 AM
What does Mardonzi's boat look like?

Not So Fast
07-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Was this about dusk? While BBQing I noticed a layer of smoke on Havasu Landing, it was really wierd looking like fog. Never seen smoke just lay there like that. :confused: NSF

Mr.Havasu
07-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Here a few shots I took from my house. Looked like a fountain beak to me:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/418IMG_0302.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/418IMG_0303.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/418IMG_0304.JPG
Hope no one was hurt, sorry for their loss.

AZKC
07-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Yikes. Nice view by the way you know somebody in Real Estate :idea: :)

RitcheyRch
07-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Any other info on whos boat?

Debbolas
07-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Yikes. Nice view by the way you know somebody in Real Estate :idea: :)
Yeah, what the beautiful Arizonian said....I thought you couldn't buy any houses on/near the lake....... :idea:

Roaddogg 4040
07-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Great pictures Michelle...Why arn't you guys out on the lake instead of setting peoples boats on fire and then taking pectures of them!! :) :)
Steve

HCS
07-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Seems you can never have enough fire extinguishers aboard.

my21advantage
07-22-2006, 02:12 PM
I hope it wasn't Jay Photoglou's Fountain

Havasu_Dreamin
07-23-2006, 07:16 PM
From the pictures above it appears to be white, not the purple and yellow like Jays.
Heading back from Havasu today we passed a burned Fountain being towed by a white Chevy/GMC West on the 40. Name on the back of the boat was Junkyard Bill. Don't know if this was the boat mentioned above but it seems to fit the description. Sorry no pics as I was driving.....

purrfecttremor
07-23-2006, 07:38 PM
It appeared the boat was white with black checkers in the back.Realy sad to watch!

98 Vector 21
07-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Its been really hot here too! Bad news....

River918
07-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Nope, it's not.....

91nordic29
07-24-2006, 05:15 AM
bttt

Tremor Girl
07-24-2006, 05:21 AM
It was a fountain. The name on the boat is Junkyard Bill. Perfect Tremor, it was the fountain tied up next to us in Steamboat on Fri.

ChumpChange
07-24-2006, 06:15 AM
It was a fountain. The name on the boat is Junkyard Bill.
Just got off the phone with Bill. It was him. Seems that one of the engines overheated and caught fire. When he opened up the hatch, it was a small flame that got out of hand pretty fast. I'm pretty sure there is a halon system on his boat. He tried hitting it with two fire extinguishers but to no avail.
Total loss as it burned all the way to the water line. He just had some work done on that thing to make it faster. This sucks. All got off safe.

RitcheyRch
07-24-2006, 06:18 AM
Sorry to hear about his loss.
Just got off the phone with Bill. It was him. Seems that one of the engines overheated and caught fire. When he opened up the hatch, it was a small flame that got out of hand pretty fast. I'm pretty sure there is a halon system on his boat. He tried hitting it with two fire extinguishers but to no avail.
Total loss as it burned all the way to the water line. He just had some work done on that thing to make it faster. This sucks. All got off safe.

Tequila-John
07-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Damn that sucks was everyone ok?

ChumpChange
07-24-2006, 06:34 AM
Damn that sucks was everyone ok?
All got off safe. It was not an explosion or anything like that. Just a small fire turning into a big one. The only thing lost seem to be all his personal belongings.
We carry what we call a "bail out" bag whenever we boat. Carry a bag that you put your wallet as well as all other personal documents in just in case something like this happens.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-24-2006, 06:49 AM
All got off safe.
That's the most important thing.

throttlejunkie
07-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Bail Out Bag.. not a bad idea. I'm gonna have to put one of those together. You just never know....

phebus
07-24-2006, 07:11 AM
My bail out bag is my ice chest. If I have to watch my boat burn, or sink, I want a beer :D

ultra27jay
07-24-2006, 07:33 AM
My bail out bag is my ice chest. If I have to watch my boat burn, or sink, I want a beer :D
lol..... :crossx: :D

2dasand
07-24-2006, 07:53 AM
I am a family friend. I called Bills mom this morning, after reading this. She confirmed everything above. Everybody is ok, and the boat can be replaced. Never-the-less, sad to hear the boat is gone. He will have another one soon, I am sure!

RJ Nordic
07-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Think I saw this yesterday on the 241 toll road between 91 and the 5. Looked like a mess and just the bottom of the hull remained. Had twin outdrives on it.
Guess that's why we have insurance. Hope all were ok.

blackcloud75
07-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Bail Out Bag.. not a bad idea. I'm gonna have to put one of those together. You just never know....
we have a Pelican Case......just huck it over board and floats, a bag won't

RitcheyRch
07-26-2006, 03:55 AM
Gonna have to look for one of those.
QUOTE=blackcloud75]we have a Pelican Case......just huck it over board and floats, a bag won't[/QUOTE]

ChumpChange
07-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Think I saw this yesterday on the 241 toll road between 91 and the 5. Looked like a mess and just the bottom of the hull remained. Had twin outdrives on it.
Guess that's why we have insurance. Hope all were ok.
That'd be it. The boat is in Huntington Beach now.

PhantomChaos
07-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Yeah....that sucks Bill!!!!! :yuk: :yuk: Good thing he's in the salvage business though!!!

CMATT21
07-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Blacky, I have a bag and it floats. It's a small dry sack. You velcro the top then fold it over and over then snap the clips. Any dive shop, big 5, sports authority type place should have them. Much cheaper tha a pelican case. which are very nice by the way. Easy to store the sack to. I throw it in a mesh backpack you can see everything real easy. we have a Pelican Case......just huck it over board and floats, a bag won't

BigDogIvan
07-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah....that sucks Bill!!!!! :yuk: :yuk: Good thing he's in the salvage business though!!!
Yea but thats auto salvage.

BajaMike
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Seems that one of the engines overheated and caught fire. When he opened up the hatch, it was a small flame that got out of hand pretty fast. I'm pretty sure there is a halon system on his boat. He tried hitting it with two fire extinguishers but to no avail.
I was told if you have a automatic halon system, to never open the hatch if there is a fire. The halon system smothers the fire and uses up all the oxygen. Opening the hatch just gives it more oxigen.
Anyone know more about this???
:idea:

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
I was told if you have a automatic halon system, to never open the hatch if there is a fire. The halon system smothers the fire and uses up all the oxygen. Opening the hatch just gives it more oxigen.
Anyone know more about this???
:idea:
That is 100% true. If something was hot enough to continually sustain a burn though, it would have to cool off before it would not re-ignite once oxygen got back into it.

Rexone
07-26-2006, 01:41 PM
And in the case of a dead short type electrical fire once the agent dissapates if the short is still present and sustaining a burn fuel source you're SOL. Thats why I like to see master shut off switches rigged under the rear seat so they can be accessed w/o opening the hatch. See fire and smoke with an auto extinguishing system, kill the electrical right then before the fire burns into it and causes a short if not already shorted. Of course w/o an auto discharge system that's a different story, need to open hatch and hit it with hand helds as fast as possible as well as kill the electrical master switch if possible. I always advise at least double the required hand helds too. One 2 1/2 pounder may not get the job done then what? And a little overkill on the auto system size can't hurt either. No sense operating on the edge of system capacity to save a few bucks. In this case bigger is definitely better. Boats rigged without battery shut off switches in a case like this are at a real disadvantage too unless you can quickly access and pull a cable off by hand. Many smaller boats are rigged without switches or the switches are buried somewhere you couldn't access them in a fire anyway. A little planning ahead can go a long way in extinguishing a fire where there are only seconds between success and a total loss.