PDA

View Full Version : I Need help..Canfield heads w/ stud girdle probs.

poncho-pwr
07-21-2006, 10:36 PM
As most of you here probably know, I build Pontiac motors for a living/hobby and that is where my expertise mainly resides. I do however build quite a few Chevys/Fords/Mopars and don't usually have common parts problems that elude me. I am just trying to finish up a blown 427 BBC for a customer and we put his Canfield 310s off of a N/A motor that he had been running on it. I get to the point of installing the brand new from Canfield stud girdles that we recieved from the UPS man this morning and I noticed that the adjuster nuts are not on the same angle as the flat spots in the girdles. I have never messed with Canfield heads before so I don't know if this is normal or not. It is not so severe that I can't fix it with a little grinding here and there to make them work, but I was just wondering if they maybe sent the wrong girdles or if I got a poorly made set. I figure I can't reach anyone at Canfield until Monday so I thought I would ask here as well as some of the other hotrod car sites and see if anyone had run into this before.

GofastRacer
07-22-2006, 04:29 AM
There was a thread on this not too long ago, and according to Chris this is the number you need, 1116!..

steelcomp
07-22-2006, 07:52 AM
There was a thread on this not too long ago, and according to Chris this is the number you need, 1116!..The Canfield girdles don't fit. I had to take a cartridge roll and modify where the adjusters contact the girdles. I was pretty frustrated with the whole thing. I had bought a girdle from Competition Products along with my Canfields, and when I got it, it looked like some mass produced generic stud girdle. I called Canfield and asked them to send me the one for their heads ...guess what. Same identical freekin girdle! :rolleyes:

poncho-pwr
07-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys. I will try to get thbe proper girdles Monday. If I can't I will modify these.

PC Rat
07-22-2006, 10:38 AM
I wound up receiving the wrong stud girdles with my CFE (Canfield cast) heads. Check out this thread http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115575

VD CRUISER
07-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Since I already had a set of Crane stud girdles, I tried them and they worked on my Canfields. Canfield had told me I would need a set just for their heads.

GofastRacer
07-22-2006, 07:39 PM
The Canfield girdles don't fit. I had to take a cartridge roll and modify where the adjusters contact the girdles. I was pretty frustrated with the whole thing. I had bought a girdle from Competition Products along with my Canfields, and when I got it, it looked like some mass produced generic stud girdle. I called Canfield and asked them to send me the one for their heads ...guess what. Same identical freekin girdle! :rolleyes:
Well according to Chris, this is the number you need for those heads 1116, did you try those???, how about the Websters?????.. I'm curious never messed with Canfields yet, but there's got to be one that fits I would think?????.. :confused:

GofastRacer
07-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Since I already had a set of Crane stud girdles, I tried them and they worked on my Canfields. Canfield had told me I would need a set just for their heads.
Barry, what were your Crane's originally for??, when you clamped them did the lash change any???.... Art..

steelcomp
07-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Well according to Chris, this is the number you need for those heads 1116, did you try those???, how about the Websters?????.. I'm curious never messed with Canfields yet, but there's got to be one that fits I would think?????.. :confused:Webster shows they make a girdle for the Can's. Don't know the p/n off hand, but I'm definately going to look into a set when I get things going.

GofastRacer
07-23-2006, 05:02 AM
Webster shows they make a girdle for the Can's. Don't know the p/n off hand, but I'm definately going to look into a set when I get things going.
This is what their site shows for a part number "PART #: Canfield ", be interesting to see how they fit!.. :confused:

VD CRUISER
07-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Art, My Cranes were for a set of early Merlins/stock Chevy heads, and the lash only changed a thou or two, when I tightened them down, but they did that on the Merlins too.

GofastRacer
07-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Art, My Cranes were for a set of early Merlins/stock Chevy heads, and the lash only changed a thou or two, when I tightened them down, but they did that on the Merlins too.
Well just wondered because all I hear is you have to have a "specific" girdle for those heads and I was trying to figure what the difference was???.. :confused:

steelcomp
07-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Are these the four bar girdles where the intake and exhaust aren't connected?

steelcomp
07-23-2006, 06:26 PM
This is what their site shows for a part number "PART #: Canfield ", be interesting to see how they fit!.. :confused:
Guess they're keeping it a secret...makes you wonder if they actually have a set yet.

GofastRacer
07-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Guess they're keeping it a secret...makes you wonder if they actually have a set yet.
Nahh, that's the way they identify all of them!..
Webster! (http://webster-industries.com/Stud_Girdles.html)

poncho-pwr
07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Well, the Websters should be here in the morning. I didn't have any luck getting them from Websters as they said they were out right now, but the customer I built the engine for found a shop in Oklahoma that sells them and had some in stock. He had them overnight them to my shop so they should be here in the morning, we'll see I guess. I am going to dyno this motor tomorrow one way or the other so if they work out I will report back and let everyone know.

cstraub
07-27-2006, 06:05 AM
The Jomar number is 1116. I know they fit. Poncho what is the combo?

469 the coyote
07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Dont mess with any brand but websters!!! They are the best. His shop is about 30 min from my house. He does alot of them for other poeple to. Just my 2 cents

poncho-pwr
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I didn't get the F-ing girdles after waiting all day so no going to the dyno.
cstraub69, the combo is a .030" over 427 w/Canfield 310 CNC'd 125cc chamber heads, venolia blower pistons on Crower rods 6.135". Motor is 8.2:1 comp, stage 3 BDS blower cam(which I don't like but customer wants to try it) BDS stage 3 8-71, superchiller, two Gary Williams 750s MSD ignition. Will be going in a 33 Ford pinch nosed coupe with a really nice chassis.

cstraub
07-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Nice....should be very quick...

steelcomp
07-28-2006, 03:35 PM
put up some pics...I want to see this thing. Are those blower pistons dished??I didn't get the F-ing girdles after waiting all day so no going to the dyno.
cstraub69, the combo is a .030" over 427 w/Canfield 310 CNC'd 125cc chamber heads, venolia blower pistons on Crower rods 6.135". Motor is 8.2:1 comp, stage 3 BDS blower cam(which I don't like but customer wants to try it) BDS stage 3 8-71, superchiller, two Gary Williams 750s MSD ignition. Will be going in a 33 Ford pinch nosed coupe with a really nice chassis.

poncho-pwr
07-28-2006, 06:13 PM
I will try and get you a link to the street rod site he is posting the pics at steelcomp. The pistons are not dished.