PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a vanilla latte at home

sorry dog
07-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Mrs. Dog is pretty much addicted to these things, but the $4 a cup to the Starbucks zit faces gets old (I've thought more than once about set their tip jar on fire:idea: )...that's more than a pot addiction...so what equipment/ingredients to I need at home to make one?

FMluvswater
07-22-2006, 07:02 AM
vanilla flavoring or vanilla flavored espresso beans
bean grinder
espresso/coffee maker
a milk frother (little battery operated handheld one is under $20 and works pretty good)
milk (non-fat froths best)
sugar (optional)
Recipe:
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup hot freshly brewed espresso
Heat milk in small saucepan on low heat
froth with milk frother or alternately (PITA IMO) stir briskly and constantly with wire whisk to create foam.
Add milk to mug of coffee.
:coffeycup

sorry dog
07-22-2006, 07:30 AM
FM - shoulda known you are the foremost expert on the subject...
any recommendations on the expresso maker and frother?
Bought one for the parents from Target once (it was Mr. Coffee or some brand like that) ,but the quality of the expresso was so so and the froth attachment took a long time...but not looking to spend too much. A $400 maker buys a lot of starbucks.
Figger I'd give this to the Mrs. for bday... drugs always make a good gift.

FMluvswater
07-22-2006, 08:16 AM
This (http://www.zaccardis.com/handheld-frother.html) is similar to the milk frother a friend of mine uses - it works pretty good. :smile:
Espresso can be made using any regular brew-style coffee maker but if you want to get her an actual espresso machine you might try something like this. (http://www.zaccardis.com/krups-fnd1-allegro.html)
I don't have any specific brand recommends myself. I usually just stick to regular black coffee made with any coffee maker at all, lol. My friend makes me lattes sometimes when I visit. :cool:
Found an online catalog you could browse here (http://www.wholelattelove.com/semiautomatic.cfm) while I was checking out some product reviews here (http://www.coffeecrew.com/content/view/22/27/). Good luck to you, SD. There's a wide price range so I'm sure you'll find something. :clover: :smile: Your wife's in for a good birthday. :cool: :coffeycup :D Drugs!!! LOL! :D

Tom Brown
07-22-2006, 08:20 AM
....that's more than a pot addiction...
The pot is calling the kettle expensive.

Debbolas
07-22-2006, 08:22 AM
My dad is an expresso junkie, claims that the little frothy device is the most important part of the machine. If you are going to buy one at a store, ask for a demonstration, so you can see how quickly and well it froths the milk... Also non-fat milk froths better than fatty milk.
Good Luck!
Deb
;)

Cheap Thrills
07-22-2006, 08:27 AM
FM - shoulda known you are the foremost expert on the subject...
Ladies and gentlemen children of all ages it's
The professor of percolators . The guru of grinds. The queen of caffine. FM. :D
Expert ~ A has been drip under pressure :p
C.T. :wink:

FMluvswater
07-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Ladies and gentlemen children of all ages it's
The professor of percolators . The guru of grinds. The queen of caffine. FM. :D
Expert ~ A has been drip under pressure :p
All y'all need to use spell check eh ... it's not e-x-p-e-r-t it's a-d-d-i-c-t! :D Drugs!!! LOL! :D I'm still laughing, SD. :D

Debbolas
07-22-2006, 08:44 AM
I think you need to change your screen name to "Queen of Caffine", it has a nice ring to it:D
The Sweetheart of Sumatra
The Jumper of Java
The Friend of French Roast
lol ;)

FMluvswater
07-22-2006, 08:50 AM
I think you need to change your screen name to "Queen of Caffine", it has a nice ring to it:D
The Sweetheart of Sumatra
The Jumper of Java
The Friend of French Roast
lol ;)
uhh no way uh-uh I took enough flack for dropping babe off my name (not to mention I don't like it when other people change their screen names to something completely different - I'm easily confused :( :D )
However, I will likely put my caffeine molecule avatar back up at some point and now I'm thinking I just might put Queen of Caffeine as my user title when I do. :idea: :coffeycup :D

Debbolas
07-22-2006, 08:52 AM
uhh no way uh-uh I took enough flack for dropping babe off my name (not to mention I don't like it when other people change their screen names to something completely different - I'm easily confused :( :D )
However, I will likely put my caffeine molecule avatar back up at some point and now I'm thinking I just might put Queen of Caffeine as my user title when I do. :idea: :coffeycup :D
I was looking at soom old posts, and tried to search for FMLOVESWATERBABE, I almost forgot that you did that!
:D

Cheap Thrills
07-22-2006, 08:54 AM
I forgot one ..
The Diva of auto o o o o o o matic drip. :D

Tom Brown
07-22-2006, 09:02 AM
The commander of fellatio. :cool:

FMluvswater
07-22-2006, 09:14 AM
The commander of fellatio. :cool:
Well I sure as hell ain't putting that as my user title! :supp: :D

FMluvswater
07-22-2006, 09:17 AM
I was looking at soom old posts, and tried to search for FMLOVESWATERBABE, I almost forgot that you did that!
you spelled my name wrong not nearly as wrong as HCS once did though so :D and just curious, Deb but wtf is "soom"? :D :p :wink:

Tom Brown
07-22-2006, 09:19 AM
DNA vacuum :cool:

FMluvswater
07-22-2006, 09:24 AM
DNA vacuum :cool:
:D LMFAO! It is kinda catchy but decidedly ... no! :D

Debbolas
07-22-2006, 09:56 AM
you spelled my name wrong not nearly as wrong as HCS once did though so :D and just curious, Deb but wtf is "soom"? :D :p :wink:
soom: derivative from the Latin form sooom, meaning more than a few, yet less than a thousand Proper english spelling Some. (ya smartass) lol ;)

Cheap Thrills
07-22-2006, 10:03 AM
soom: derivative from the Latin form sooom, meaning more than a few, yet less than a thousand Proper english spelling Some. (ya smartass) lol ;)
:D Too Funny

FMluvswater
07-22-2006, 10:13 AM
wasn't me :D

Debbolas
07-22-2006, 10:13 AM
rrrrrrrrright!
lol

Boozer
07-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Most espresso machines have a milk frother on the side that runs on steam. The ones included with the machines usually work great. I have never purchased an electric frother because the ones on the espresso machine work just fine. I currently have an espresso machine that cost $350 and to be honest with you, I don't think it works much better then then the $30 machines I have owned.
When steaming milk a couple things come in to play. Already mention was skim milk froths better and it does not to mention it's a hell of a lot better for you, secondly the colder the milk is the better it frothes. I have also found that the milk frothes better if frothed in a metal container I have a carafe looking deal made of metal and it works awesome.
DO NOT buy vanilla flavored espresso beans they will be bitter. As you or your wife or both of you become connoisseur's you'll learn that you can't get espresso just anywhere most of the places that have it have sh*tty bitter espresso. I usually buy my espresso beans from Starbucks or another local coffee shop because the stuff they sale at grocery stores is crap.

Devil's Advocate
07-22-2006, 02:11 PM
A Vanilla latte sounds really good right now. I didn't get my caffeine fix this morning... :squiggle:

Tom Brown
07-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Caffeine is the work of the devil.
Mark my words... One day caffeine adicts will rise up in a bloody insurection the likes of which the world has not seen since the Sonny and Cher show went off the air. :mad:

Devil's Advocate
07-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Just got myself an iced vanilla latte...yummm...In about 20 minutes I'll have to be scraped off the ceiling.. :eek: :rollside: