PDA

View Full Version : Harman Marine Water Logs.....HELP!!

ZTFab
07-22-2006, 03:11 PM
OK, so here's the deal. I have a Harman Marine 454 in my '78 Bahner.
I am re-plumbing the boat because it looked like shat when I bought it (at least to me).
I am using -10 AN fittings and S.S. braided hose. I got all of the plumbing hooked up and when I connected the hose to the tee to test it, the right bank of the engine got flooded with water, it completely filled my log up and dumped into the engine.
My question is, on the Harman Marine manifolds, there are two ports at the front of the log. One on top and one in the middle, which one is the correct port to use to go from the log into my engine?? I currently have them hooked up to the port in the middle.
I have tried the search function and not found anything specific about which physical location it needs to be.........
Does it matter which port I use, are one of my logs bad? I ask this because they are both hooked up the same way but only one side filled with water.
Thanks in advance....
Paul

squirt'nmyload
07-22-2006, 03:23 PM
tube on top to engine....bottom one goes to the T

Konabud
07-22-2006, 03:27 PM
This is the way mine are hooked up (ford 460) although I don't think it should make any difference. One is into the water jacket of the log and the other is out. Sounds like you have a hole in one side, or it's backing up somehow from the snail. Was it working before you re-plumbed it?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3112powerstation2.JPG

ZTFab
07-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the response squirt.....
There was and is no T on the front of the logs on my boat.
My current setup is from the pump, to the control valve, to a T, to the bottom/backside of the logs.
From there I have them coming out of the middle ports on front of the logs to the water pump plates.
Then they exit from the T-stat housing and go to the risers.
I found a pic on Harman's website of my type of engine and they have the lines plumbed from the top hole on the front of the log......I'll try that and see how it goes.

squirt'nmyload
07-22-2006, 03:42 PM
sorry...the t after the control valve is what i meant....thats where the bottom is hooked up to on mine...but i think konabud is right, it shouldn't matter which one as long as they both hooked up the same

Oldsquirt
07-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Does it matter which port I use, are one of my logs bad? I ask this because they are both hooked up the same way but only one side filled with water.
Functionally, it doesn't really matter which one is hooked up where. They are both connected to the same water jacket in the manifold. Basically just a loop from one to the other inside the log. NO water should be getting to the exhaust passages in the log. Sounds like you need to pull that log and riser and have it pressure tested. Might just pull the manifold off the head but leave the water lines connected. Run water through the system and see if it is coming from inside the log/riser or from the engine.

centerhill condor
07-23-2006, 03:09 AM
the Old squirt is right.... maybe a diagram will help.?

Floored
07-23-2006, 04:21 AM
How is the gasket and surface at the end of the log that butts up to the riser?

ZTFab
07-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Well, I switched the fittings to the top port and retested everything. It works without a problem so far.
I had just taken off my logs and risers to have them ceramic coated before I started replumbing and I put new gaskets on between the risers and logs. The surfaces on the logs and risers seemed damn near perfect, in fact everything came apart really easy.
I don't know what the hell I did the first time around but I can't seem to duplicate the problem again.
Here is a pic of how the engine looked before I replumbed it.......
I'll post up some after shots when I get back to my house. Thanks for all of the responses and help.
Paul

beerjet
07-23-2006, 07:13 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15799

73WriedtCustom
07-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Quoting ZTFab:
"I had just taken off my logs and risers to have them ceramic coated before I started replumbing and I put new gaskets on between the risers and logs. The surfaces on the logs and risers seemed damn near perfect, in fact everything came apart really easy."
The riser/log gasket just might have done the trick. Looking at the design of the Harman Marine water log, it would seem that the riser/log gasket could possibly leak internally back into the exhaust, but NOT leak externally into the boat.
Quoting OLDSQUIRT
"Might just pull the manifold off the head but leave the water lines connected. Run water through the system and see if it is coming from inside the log/riser or from the engine."
Good stuff there!