PDA

View Full Version : HP 525 Blown Head Gasket????

blackcloud75
07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Anybody else have any issues??????Mine has 66 hours....

Daytona100
07-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Is it still under warrenty? Did you overheat it? Do a compression test and see what it looks like. :idea:

blackcloud75
07-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Typical pre-trip, checked the oil(no water), coolant is with-normal-limits,......went to launch, backed down the ramp, fired then a kind of phisshshhhhhhhh noise/pop and smelt something burning, found coolant running down the block, the temp went from 180 to 240 in nothin' flat, back on the trailer she went...

blackcloud75
07-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Of course no phukking warranty, checking the compression tomorrow

No Name
07-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Maybe a bad impeller.

Daytona100
07-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Sounds like you blew the head gasket out. If your hearing compression and seeing water leak externnally skip the compression test. Sounds like you need to pull the head. :cry:

blackcloud75
07-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Sounds like you blew the head gasket out. If your hearing compression and seeing water leak externnally skip the compression test. Sounds like you need to pull the head. :cry:
Funny thing is I haven't heard anybody else blownin' H-gaskets on the 525.....I am thinkin' an out-of-the-norm circumstance caused it to blow

Raylar
07-23-2006, 12:54 PM
A few HP525's have had problems with cylinder #7, don't ask me why, they just seem to have a #7 cylinder problem sometimes. Hope yours is something simple and lower cost. Make sure if you have the head off you have it pressure tested. Good Luck!
Ray @ Raylar

blackcloud75
07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
The fluid was coming from the 7 cyclinder area..... :cry:

No Name
07-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I don’t like to here these things, I have a 525 with 40 hours. Please keep us posted.

blackcloud75
07-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I don’t like to here these things, I have a 525 with 40 hours. Please keep us posted.
Funny thing, your avatar is exactly how I was yesterday, same scenery of the springs, headed for the ramp

selfmade
07-24-2006, 09:57 AM
I WAS LOOKING AT BUYING A NEW BOAT WITH 525s AND I RAN IT BY MY MECHANIC HE WARNED ME OF THE SAME PROBLEM IT SOUNDS LIKE BLACKCLOUD IS HAVING. HE SAID IT IS CAUSED BY THE HEAD BEING ALUMINUM AND THE BLOCK BEING CAST IRON OR VICE VERSA. AND HE SAID THAT ITS ALWAYS THE #7 OR #8. AFTER HEARING THIS I THINK I MIGHT PASS ON THE BOAT DAMN ITS A GOOD DEAL TOO

Nord
07-24-2006, 10:08 AM
I WAS LOOKING AT BUYING A NEW BOAT WITH 525s AND I RAN IT BY MY MECHANIC HE WARNED ME OF THE SAME PROBLEM IT SOUNDS LIKE BLACKCLOUD IS HAVING. HE SAID IT IS CAUSED BY THE HEAD BEING ALUMINUM AND THE BLOCK BEING CAST IRON OR VICE VERSA. AND HE SAID THAT ITS ALWAYS THE #7 OR #8. AFTER HEARING THIS I THINK I MIGHT PASS ON THE BOAT DAMN ITS A GOOD DEAL TOO
O.K!!!!!!!! NO MORE CAPS PLEASE............. :cool:
~NORD~

mondorally
07-24-2006, 10:20 AM
How good of a deal is it? Might be worth getting the deal and pre-emptively replacing the gasket before it gets too bad - you know, like Bush & Saddam..... :argue:
-Justin

selfmade
07-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Its a 2003 Nor-tech 3600 supercat for 200,000 the motors have 20hrs on them but theyre whippled so voids warranty. It seems the way my mechanic made it sound it wasnt the gasket but the two different metals on the head and block that is causing the problem. I dont know i am still learning about motors so its still confusing to me all i do know is i really am not trying to have to replace a blown motor anytime soon

Mrs 2LKHVSU
07-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Anybody else have any issues??????Mine has 66 hours....
We hope that you will be as happy with Chris as we are. TCN said that he forwarded our details to you. Since our boat is tucked back in our garage, we thought that there may be a spot for you with Chris. Good Luck! :)

Raylar
07-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Selfmade:
I don't think dissimilar metals is a problem on HP525's or 496's because they are fresh water cooled engine, unless they are left in the water for long periods of time, then any motor can suffer from galvanic action. I believe the problem here might actually be a cylinder head-head gasket problem and it could be isolated to just a few motors since there are an awful lot of HP525's running all over the country without problems like this that I am aware of. I would not let this possible issue discourage you from making a good deal on a boat with HP525's with 20HRS! Lets wait here and see what the real problem actually was before we pass judgment to early.
Ray @ Raylar

dicudmore
07-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Its a 2003 Nor-tech 3600 supercat for 200,000 the motors have 20hrs on them but theyre whippled so voids warranty. It seems the way my mechanic made it sound it wasnt the gasket but the two different metals on the head and block that is causing the problem. I dont know i am still learning about motors so its still confusing to me all i do know is i really am not trying to have to replace a blown motor anytime soon
if you're gonna pass on this boat please get the info to the rest of us where we can STEAL this boat for that price :D

DMOORE
07-24-2006, 09:24 PM
The problems with the head gaskets are not due to galvanic corrosion. It has more to due with the fact that aluminum and cast iron expand at a different rate. It's really important the whenever you are dealing with motors with aluminum heads and cast blockes, that they are given plenty of time to get up to temp. You also see a lot more head gasket problems on cars and trucks with the aluminum -cast iron combo. Toyota trucks used to be notorious for that exact problem.
Darrell.

blackcloud75
07-24-2006, 11:41 PM
We hope that you will be as happy with Chris as we are. TCN said that he forwarded our details to you. Since our boat is tucked back in our garage, we thought that there may be a spot for you with Chris. Good Luck! :)
Very Cool CaT!!!!!!He took it right in today....should know more the next couple days......and stores the boats inside!!!!!
Very Clean shop!!!My kid(18 month old)dropped a french fry on the shop floor.....I let him pick it up and eat it!.....He probably makes a killing fixin' all the local Mercedes

Advantage Adam
07-25-2006, 08:32 AM
I am in the same boat as you blackcloud. I actually had my long block replaced 14 hours into the engine. About 70 hours, I blew a head gasket, coolant everywhere in the engine. And to top it off, last week I blew a intake manifold gasket and was just replaced.
Since I have had so many problems w/ my 525, I called mercury racing and they covered all parts and half of the labor for the most recent incodent.
Good luck!!!
Adam

All IN
07-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Last year I blew a head gasket on my 525 with 45 hours on it. I tried to get Mercury to replace the engine, but they refused. Savage fixed it and did an amazing job.

mxbundy
07-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Whats the average repair bill when something like this happens?
I was thinking of a 28 Majic deck with this powertrain and now may rethink it!
bundy

OutCole'd
07-25-2006, 08:51 AM
You guys are scaring me..... Knock it off. :cool:

OutCole'd
07-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Whats the average repair bill when something like this happens?
I was thinking of a 28 Majic deck with this powertrain and now may rethink it!
bundy
You can have problems with any powertrain. From 496's breaking to a few 525's with problems. Look at the Ilmoor set up, they are having issues also. Even custom engine setups have problems. Welcome to boating.

blackcloud75
07-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Still no word.......but Spindler is talking to the Mercruiser Reps....
People were asking me if I was pissed off....It's part of owning toys...shiat happens...