PDA

View Full Version : cavitation plate

v-drive
07-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Ok my cavitation plate has always looked like aluminum that has been in the weather.so now that I'm finishing the boat I thought ok now polish the cav plate. I started with some fine scotchbrite to break the oxidation loose but nothing I mean nothing. A little smoother is all.
does anyone have some experiance with this. Thanks.......... :confused: v-drive
[ July 16, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: v-drive ]

superdave013
07-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Send it out to a polisher. I used to polish my own stuff and still do some small stuff.
It would not be that much to have then re polish those plates compared to what it would take you to do it with out the right equipment.

WILDERTHANU54
07-16-2003, 06:33 PM
......MAKE SURE ITS NOT ANODIZED FIRST OFF

GofastRacer
07-16-2003, 08:05 PM
v-drive:
Ok my cavitation plate has always looked like aluminum that has been in the weather.so now that I'm finishing the boat I thought ok now polish the cav plate. I started with some fine scotchbrite to break the oxidation loose but nothing I mean nothing. A little smoother is all.
does anyone have anyone have some experiance with this. Thanks.......... :confused: v-drive Seems like the plates may be clear annodized, I would suggest taking them in and striping them and then taking them to a polisher, they will come out like new!. :cool: :)

PRIMEriverRUNNER8780
07-20-2003, 10:59 PM
If you have an aluminum plate, you may want to think about having it clear powder-coated after it's polished (if thats the look your going for.) It keeps the plate from discoloring for sometime. If you have any questions mail me at info@primemarineusa.com
If you live in the So. Cal area i can suggest some pretty reputable places with decent pricing.
Mike

PRIMEriverRUNNER8780
07-20-2003, 11:02 PM
I forgot to mention if the plates are currently ano'ed, when stripped, polished, and clear ano'ed again, it will still have that grey cloudy look to it. But it depends again what kind of look your after.
Info@primemarineusa.com

stilettovdrive
07-21-2003, 05:28 AM
Hello, i have polished a lot of oxydated aluminum in my time, you start vith sandpaper and water, no. 400, and then 800, and then 1200, then you rub with Autosol or similar polishing paste untill everything shines.
Some kind of acrylic car varnish if highly recommendet, unless you like to do this every day.
Or even better, make new ones in stainless steel.
It can be done, but ask a polisher first, for a price Quote, sometimes you get surprised in the good way.
The viking.

63stevens
07-21-2003, 08:00 AM
Stainless looks great but weigh's twice as much. When I took the aluminum plates off my stevens and put stainless on i put the plates on the scale. the stainless was twice as heavy. if you are looking to keep weight down i wouldn't recommend it.

Thunderbutt
07-21-2003, 02:05 PM
63stevens:
Stainless looks great but weigh's twice as much. When I took the aluminum plates off my stevens and put stainless on i put the plates on the scale. the stainless was twice as heavy. if you are looking to keep weight down i wouldn't recommend it. What thickness stainless did you use, I'm thinking of doing that.

63stevens
07-21-2003, 02:51 PM
I used 1/8th inch stainless and it was still twice as heavy as the 1/4 aluminum. the stainless looks good and doesn't require much maintenance.

Thunderbutt
07-22-2003, 05:07 AM
63stevens:
I used 1/8th inch stainless and it was still twice as heavy as the 1/4 aluminum. the stainless looks good and doesn't require much maintenance. Thanks. I finely had mine powered coated, but it doesn't look so good with all of the other stainless, bar,turnbuckels,etc.

blownmoney
07-23-2003, 10:05 PM
i did mine with 500 wet, then 800 wet then 1000 wet paper then put my buffer to work with some good 3m rubbing compound .lil polish and done did mine in less than an hr..http://www.v-driveboat.com/images/gallery/thumbs/221_DSCN0127.jpg

v-drive
07-24-2003, 03:44 AM
Thanks everyone, I have looked at the plates and it is obvious now that the original owner painted it with some kind of paint from hell I think.
I've decided to leave it for now as I am only a few days from starting it up. Maybe even this weekend. The little things keep biteing me. The things I thought would be a problem were not and vice versa. Gel coat is next year so now I will also polish the plates. Again thanks for all of your help and I will see you at cbbb...v-drive