PDA

View Full Version : Californians Getting Nicked For Back Taxes In Nevada

RitcheyRch
07-24-2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.nbc4.tv/money/9564479/detail.html
Californians looking to retire in the Silver State to avoid paying taxes had better be careful.
The Wall Street Journal is reporting several cases that show tax authorities are cracking down on those who appear to move here solely to avoid state taxes.
After California software entrepreneur David Duffield moved to the Lake Tahoe resort of Incline Village a decade ago, California hit him with a $19 million tax bill. The state alleged the billionaire founder of PeopleSoft merely moved shareholdings out of state to finance a wealthy home for himself without paying for capital gains.
Experts say California authorities have no qualms checking through credit card records to determine whether one's residence is truly in Nevada or California.
A former PeopleSoft executive who successfully made the crossover says if you move to Nevada with a lot of wealth you had better prepare to be audited.

KLEPTOW
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Is that like a parting gift, Leave Cali and get Audited.
WTF you can come here but never leave.

Robert1050
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Kalifornia never ceases to amaze with how bad it really sucks living here.....
I got a letter from the State Board Of Equalization a couple of months ago: I had bought a Travel Trailer 6 years ago (in Kalifornia), used it for 1 summer @ Havasu, decided it didn't work for us & sold it to a Havasu local (who registered it in AZ). I had forgotten to send in the 'Change Of Address' paperwork to the Kalifornia DMV after the sale, so I get a bill from SBOE demanding I pay $350 in back registrations + $400 fine for delinquency of the reg.
I filled out the form, explained the story and haven't heard back from them, so I assume the issue is dead.
Bastards - chasing me for a 5 year old transaction & demanding money they didn't deserve!

RitcheyRch
07-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Typical. The state has been looking for my Grandfather for years. They contacted my Mother and she informed them that he died back in 1991. She sent a copy of his death certificate but that didnt seem to get them off her back. When they sent her a tax bill she forwarded it to the mortuary. Hasnt heard from them since.
Kalifornia never ceases to amaze with how bad it really sucks living here.....
I got a letter from the State Board Of Equalization a couple of months ago: I had bought a Travel Trailer 6 years ago (in Kalifornia), used it for 1 summer @ Havasu, decided it didn't work for us & sold it to a Havasu local (who registered it in AZ). I had forgotten to send in the 'Change Of Address' paperwork to the Kalifornia DMV after the sale, so I get a bill from SBOE demanding I pay $350 in back registrations + $400 fine for delinquency of the reg.
I filled out the form, explained the story and haven't heard back from them, so I assume the issue is dead.
Bastards - chasing me for a 5 year old transaction & demanding money they didn't deserve!

Chubby4Life
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
When I was single, I worked on a job in Vegas. I was there 15 months, rented a condo and got a Nevada drivers licence. When the job ended I moved back to Cali. A few years later, I recieved a back tax notice on the wages I earned in Nevada! California said I was resident of Ca. the whole time because I wasn't gone 18 mo. or more.