PDA

View Full Version : Rookie mistake!

superV
09-08-2003, 05:48 AM
Well I got my motor in with no problem. :D And all was looking well until I relized I forgot to put the manual Holly Fuel Pump on. :rolleyes: So no problem it's in a hard to get spot but ill get it in. Put it in and try to fire motor with no luck hummm. :( I guess I need to check for the normal shit spark and fuel. Well I got spark but no fuel? :confused: Humm I know these pumps take a bit to prime so ill help it out and feed it some gas from a can to get things going. So I do and it fire's for a moment and die's :mad: Still no fuel in the filter so I guess ill pull pump off and check it out can anyone guess what I found? argue

Blown 472
09-08-2003, 05:51 AM
you forgot the ecentric for the fuel pump?

RandyH
09-08-2003, 05:51 AM
No fuel pump shaft. Just a guess.
RandyH

superV
09-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Keep them coming your getting warm eek!

superV
09-08-2003, 06:30 AM
Im talking this was really dumb! jawdrop

RobR.
09-08-2003, 06:41 AM
You forgot to turn the gas valve on.

burbanite
09-08-2003, 06:52 AM
Lines on backwards.

superV
09-08-2003, 07:07 AM
Your all wrong so maybe im the first to do this but since I did not put the pump on on the eng. stand and could not see in the hole when putting it on in the boat and I failed to see that I put to long of a bolt in the timming cove in the area of the pump and on the 1st crank it broke the pump arm off :mad: and is now in the cover somewhere :( I tried to use a magnet to find it with no luck so im going to take another stab at it tonight if I cant get it out I will have to pull the Motor and pan and pully and alt and the cover ect. ect. :mad: Im a Dumb ass for sure :rolleyes:

superV
09-08-2003, 09:36 AM
So what do all think was this a big rookie mistake or what :D

Just Tool'n
09-08-2003, 10:09 AM
I know I have made mine.
Was working on a old Chry one time puting a fuel pump on it, tried & tried to get the pump bolted back on to the block, finally after 5 hours got the bolts started & it did not tight up all of the way.
Took it back off & saw that I had bent the the rod that was solid steel, that rode against the cam.
The guy & the parts store said it was impossible to do, but leave it to me to do the impossible.
Got a new rod & the pump was on in 15 minutes.
This is why I started selling tools to mechanics intead of using them.

superV
09-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Just Tool'n:
I know I have made mine.
Was working on a old Chry one time puting a fuel pump on it, tried & tried to get the pump bolted back on to the block, finally after 5 hours got the bolts started & it did not tight up all of the way.
Took it back off & saw that I had bent the the rod that was solid steel, that rode against the cam.
The guy & the parts store said it was impossible to do, but leave it to me to do the impossible.
Got a new rod & the pump was on in 15 minutes.
This is why I started selling tools to mechanics intead of using them. LOL that makes me feel alittle better! :D

rrrr
09-08-2003, 10:54 AM
The very first car repair I ever did was on my sister's '58 Impala, it had a 283 and a powerglide. I was 12, the fuel pump was shot, and it looked like an easy fix.
After two hours of trying to slide the pump pushrod back up and get the pump in, my Dad's full time mechanic (Dad was a contractor, had about 25 trucks) wandered over. He showed me how the timing cover bolt hole in front of the pushrod was tapped through into the pushrod cavity, and all I had to to was push up the rod, thread in a longer bolt and snug it on the rod to hold it up.
We had a blast with that Impala running it through the desert around Albuquerque. It was the "first car" for four kids, and it was almost indestructible. Ever drop a 'glide into low at 70 MPH? :D
My youngest brother rolled it on a dirt road coming home from an after school tequila party. I had a buddy drive me over to the car, it had landed wheels up and had two flats. It fired right up, and I drove it home.
I pulled the motor and rebuilt it. It lived many more years in a GMC pickup, and when I sold it I figured that old 283 had close to 300,000 miles on it.
Back in my younger days I could tear down an enjum and throw all the bolts in a box. I could remember what went where, no problemo. Now that I'm approaching geezerdom, a teardown involves ziploc bags, a Sharpie, written notes, and a bunch of digital pics. :D :D
[ September 08, 2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

superV
09-08-2003, 11:25 AM
rrrr:
The very first car repair I ever did was on my sister's '58 Impala, it had a 283 and a powerglide. I was 12, the fuel pump was shot, and it looked like an easy fix.
After two hours of trying to slide the pump pushrod back up and get the pump in, my Dad's full time mechanic (Dad was a contractor, had about 25 trucks) wandered over. He showed me how the timing cover bolt hole in front of the pushrod was tapped through into the pushrod cavity, and all I had to to was push up the rod, thread in a longer bolt and snug it on the rod to hold it up.
We had a blast with that Impala running it through the desert around Albuquerque. It was the "first car" for four kids, and it was almost indestructible. Ever drop a 'glide into low at 70 MPH? :D
My youngest brother rolled it on a dirt road coming home from an after school tequila party. I had a buddy drive me over to the car, it had landed wheels up and had two flats. It fired right up, and I drove it home.
I pulled the motor and rebuilt it. It lived many more years in a GMC pickup, and when I sold it I figured that old 283 had close to 300,000 miles on it.
Back in my younger days I could tear down an enjum and throw all the bolts in a box. I could remember what went where, no problemo. Now that I'm approaching geezerdom, a teardown involves ziploc bags, a Sharpie, written notes, and a bunch of digital pics. :D :D The good old days! Well I wont make this mistake again I can tell you that the funny thing is it only stuck out about an 1/8" to fare :mad: If all goes well Ill beable to fish it out tonight I hope that would really be awsome.

GofastRacer
09-08-2003, 06:48 PM
superV:
LOL that makes me feel alittle better! :D Dude, we ALL do stupid shit one time or another!!.. :D :D :D

Moneypitt
09-08-2003, 09:16 PM
The bolt on the 283 that will hold the pump drive shaft in place is actually a front motor mount bolt hole, and yes, those holes are still there in 350s more than 30 years after those cars quit using the front motor mounts. It's not uncommon for people to leave that short bolt out of a rebuild, and look all over trying find the oil leak!!!!!And then how about the rear freeze plugs, discovered after the engine is installed and water is running out faster than you can put it in. Or a mopar crank kit with an automatic crank in a car with a stick....Or "Sure you can use 409 heads on a 348"!!!!!!! Or Mopar rear tapered roller bearing don't need to be greased prior to being pressed on....Or a V6 buick without the dist drive bolted on the front of the cam because the fuel pump eccentric isn't needed.. I could go on and on... and this was when I still had my MIND....Moneypitt

superV
09-09-2003, 05:09 AM
Keep them coming this is getting good and infomational :D I love to hear about other peoples pain wink

LeE ss13
09-09-2003, 06:13 AM
How about this.... in '96 I got my first set of brand new aluminum Chevy heads together with a fresh 427 for my Super Stock circle boat ready for a race at Long Beach Marine Stadium. I got the motor lit for the first time the night before. It would not idle down at all. Oh well, off the races. When the flag went green, white smoke poured out of each header so bad that by the second lap, all of Marine Stadium was full of smoke and you couldn't see the other boats. I pulled of the course and headed for the trailer. I pulled the intake manifold off only to discover that there were two 7/16" threaded holes in each head in the Intake runner where a stud was supposed to go for an extra head bolt on a CanAm type block. It was sucking oil out of the lifter valley into the engine. Basically, I got to show off my Rookie Mistake in front of 2000 spectators !!!

rrrr
09-09-2003, 06:20 AM
Moneypitt:
The bolt on the 283 that will hold the pump drive shaft in place is actually a front motor mount bolt hole, and yes, those holes are still there in 350s more than 30 years after those cars quit using the front motor mounts. See? I toldja I was gettin' old and stupid. I remember that now. When I put the 283 in the GMC pickup the newer side style motor mounts bolted right on, the bosses were already cast in the block and tapped.
I found a 4 bbl manifold at the junkyard, and ran an AFB on the motor. It was a sweet looking engine in that huge pickup engine compartment, a little bright orange bullet with one fan belt running the water pump and alternator.
The SBC was a part of growing up back then....

superV
09-09-2003, 07:02 AM
LeE ss13:
How about this.... in '96 I got my first set of brand new aluminum Chevy heads together with a fresh 427 for my Super Stock circle boat ready for a race at Long Beach Marine Stadium. I got the motor lit for the first time the night before. It would not idle down at all. Oh well, off the races. When the flag went green, white smoke poured out of each header so bad that by the second lap, all of Marine Stadium was full of smoke and you couldn't see the other boats. I pulled of the course and headed for the trailer. I pulled the intake manifold off only to discover that there were two 7/16" threaded holes in each head in the Intake runner where a stud was supposed to go for an extra head bolt on a CanAm type block. It was sucking oil out of the lifter valley into the engine. Basically, I got to show off my Rookie Mistake in front of 2000 spectators !!! Good One LOL! wink

09-09-2003, 08:58 AM
LeE ss13:
How about this.... in '96 I got my first set of brand new aluminum Chevy heads together with a fresh 427 for my Super Stock circle boat ready for a race at Long Beach Marine Stadium. I got the motor lit for the first time the night before. It would not idle down at all. Oh well, off the races. When the flag went green, white smoke poured out of each header so bad that by the second lap, all of Marine Stadium was full of smoke and you couldn't see the other boats. I pulled of the course and headed for the trailer. I pulled the intake manifold off only to discover that there were two 7/16" threaded holes in each head in the Intake runner where a stud was supposed to go for an extra head bolt on a CanAm type block. It was sucking oil out of the lifter valley into the engine. Basically, I got to show off my Rookie Mistake in front of 2000 spectators !!! Larry, I'm surprised you didn't earn the name "Smokey"....oh, its already taken. :D