PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicles today suck!

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 01:51 PM
I find myself in the unenviable position of having to find the perfect tow vehicle/show vehicle for Trident for the next year or two. I can tell you that the market sucks ass right now.
The only truly great vehicle is the 2500HD Chevy and GMC, with the Ford Supersuck coming in second or third with the Dodge 2500 Pickups. I don't like the Fords or Dodges in particular, but there is no doubt that they are the best of the available vehicles for the purpose. There is no equal to any of the diesel powerplants, and the diesel powerplants are only available in the trucks.
That said... I hate trucks. I always have. I bought mine in '03 for the Diesel, but don't like driving something this size every day, and I don't like driving around with a patio on the back of my car the whole time. Lifted, I hated the truck with a dark passion. Lowered, I can get way more behind the program, but it is still a truck, still takes a request chit and a memo to park and still only fits four people comfortably. Lastly, everyone has them for the above mentioned reasons. When you see the SEMA show this year, it will be wall to wall pickups in front of the boats. I don't like having what everyone else has, never have. I won't be buying a new truck. Mine is two generations old now, so it is basically un-showable in a current show like SEMA. There is something sweet about my 25+ mpg while driving around SoCal though...
My favorite vehicle of all time was my 2001 Dodge Durango R/T. I loved it. It hauled my 21 with aplomb and really was a looker. I loved the SUV aspect and I had a truly seizure-inducing audio system on board. I miss it. The new Durango sucks balls though and I won't buy it either.
So, it looks like ol' Jay or Jason at Selman Chevrolet gets a call. I will just buy a new diesel 3/4 ton Suburban and be done with it. Except that Chevy won't put the only good motor in the inventory into the Suburban in any configuration. I would own one already if they did. Can't buy a 1500 either... they only come with a 5.3 and would be handily outclassed pulling the Revolution for a living up and down the escape grade leaving and entering San Diego. Have to step up to the 3/4 ton with it's whopping 6.0 monster motor. Price? $48K retail. Of course we won't pay that... but there you go.
Looked at the Mercedes G500. Gong. Great unless you want to go somewhere at a speed in excess of 55 mph. Floored on the 163 it almost crested 80. Price? $80+K. The only one I liked was the G55 AMG, but it was over $105K for a faster turd. That isn't going to do it...
Navigator? I hate Fords, remember?
Ahhhhh, I know. How about a Kodiak? They look pimp. They are big, which is good for shows, but everything I hate about a pickup is multiplied by two. So, even though I can get one cheaper than a Sub, it would kill me everywhere but the show circuit. Plus, with the Revolution as light as it is, I can't even tell it is there with the 2500 let alone a damn Kodiak. That is bringing a gun to a knife-fight...
Which leaves me with my three favorites... the Hummer H1, the H2 and the Cadillac Escalade.
With Chevy pussing out on the available engines, it turns out that GMC, Hummer and the Escalade all luck out. They get a better, bigger 6.2 liter engine than the biggest sub, but available in 1/2 ton running gear.
The Hummer H1 is my favorite of the bunch. They finally nailed it with the H1 Alpha which features the Duramax/Alison combination but also feature a $150K purchase price. It is also the last year they are building them, so they are running in short supply right now. The interior is austere, but can be worked with I believe. The hardtop is pretty cool, and I got to drive one for a while and loved it. Lots of power, lots of ability. Plus, it absolutely snaps necks wherever you go. I think with a little lift and some pimp wheels/tires it would be the perfect image vehicle. Plenty of tow capacity as well. It too didn't even notice the boat back there...
I took the Caddy for a ride yesterday. What a sweet deal. Plush, powerful and pimp. The three "P's". I can do a lot with it. Towing is nowhere near as bad ass as the Hummer, but with nearly $80K saved off the purchase price, I can probably tow a little slower up the hill for that. Lund Cadillac in Scottsdale wants to build it for me, so I wouldn't have to really worry about anything... just write a check.
The H2 is super soccer-Mom, so I don't like that about it. It is also barely fit to wear the nametag of the H1, but still is a formidable off-roader in its own right. Better than the Yukon or Tahoe for sure. Now that I am getting the Rhino, I can see having to go off the beaten path a little more, but more likely than not it would get 24's and thin rubber as that is more my style.
Anyone else running into these dramas? Is there really only one real option for towing boats today? Nothing without a Diesel is getting over 15mpg. The "G Wagon" is actually advertised at 12-14mpg. Even that has to be optimistic considering that we know those numbers are rarely achieved in the real world.

Tom Brown
07-24-2006, 01:59 PM
... so I hear you saying GM tow vehicles such and the others are irrelevant, since you would never consider anything but GM? :idea:

Fire Angler
07-24-2006, 02:00 PM
I'd love to drive a old muscle car, but when you haul around a 40' toy hauler and a boat, you will end up with F350 or bigger.

Jyruiz
07-24-2006, 02:00 PM
We tow our boat with a Nissan Armada, has tons of power and it is very nice inside and out. It will do 0-60 in the 7's for such a large SUV and can tow up to 9100lbs with the two package, and the tow package has an electric fan for the tranny cooler and rear airbags. All the bugs have been worked out of the 04 and early 05 models, take a look at them if you get a chance. And if you really want plush, then look at the Infinity version, QX-56.

Tom Brown
07-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Wes, why don't you build a truck. Find something you like, perhaps a classic, and put one of your Revolution engines in it.
It would give you a chance to test the longevity of your power plant.

Run_em_Hard
07-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Well on my last trip to the river towing the boat I poped down 17 mpg towin the boat. That fully loaded with 60 gallons in the boat, full coolers, firewood and 30 gallons of fuel in the truck. The 100 lb old lady and the 135 lb dog. I was very pleased. Love my cummins. Even hit some huge, huge hills.

Bense468
07-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Drop a new tahoe on 20's with a twin screw whipple.

Tom Brown
07-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Drop a new tahoe on 20's with a twin screw whipple.
... and hope Whipple doesn't stop answering their phones again because of supplier problems.

Dan Lorenze
07-24-2006, 02:08 PM
My favorite vehicle of all time was my 2001 Dodge Durango R/T. I loved it. It hauled my 21 with aplomb and really was a looker. I loved the SUV aspect and I had a truly seizure-inducing audio system on board. I miss it. The new Durango sucks balls though and I won't buy it either.
Me too. I also had an 01 Dodge Durango R/T. I miss it .. It towed my my 21 footer just fine. I traded it in and got an 04 Ram Hemi quad, it's a great truck (when I need a truck) but like you I just don't like driving it around all the time. I think I'm headed back to the SUV side. I like the new Jeep SRT8 and I want to look at the Trailblazer SS.

Bense468
07-24-2006, 02:11 PM
... and hope Whipple doesn't stop answering their phones again because of supplier problems.
Then run a magnuson radix 5th generation. Lingenfelter can set you up.

XTRM22
07-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Damn Wes I would think that someone with your skills, connections, and specific set of needs would be able to come up with something trick. Ya know a great Tailor would never buy his own suits off the rack. How bout a 87 Blazer with a twin turbo on the old 6.2 litre diesel. There's this totally bad ass 77 Coupe de ville sitting just off I-10 near Vicksburg Road that sits on a 3/4 ton suburban chassis. Wait, I have it We find you a 68 Cadillac hurse and put it on a chevy 2500 frame duramax and all. Picture that rig towing your Revolution! Caption on the back could read "If you had a boat like this you'd figure out a way to take it with you when you go to!"
Chuck

Cole Trickle
07-24-2006, 02:12 PM
07 Denali***
07 Escalade
Perhaps an 06 Trailblazer SS?
LS2 with a 4L70 tranny/strong rearend (Pretty sure it has a 5500lb towing capacity)
Don't forget you can also get a 1500 crew cab 4wd with a HO 345 6.0L(Still the 4L65 tranny and the standard 10 bolt truck rear)
***** my favorite if cost wasn't an issue

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 02:15 PM
... so I hear you saying GM tow vehicles such and the others are irrelevant, since you would never consider anything but GM? :idea:
Well, interestingly put. I wouldn't classify Dodge, Ford or Mercedes as GM, but I see where you are going with that.
Ford doesn't put a diesel in anything this year either. I might actually purchase an Excursion against my better judgement right now if it was still available and had the diesel. It isn't, so I won't. I place the Navigator in the same basket with the Caddy, GMC or Hummer, and would prefer any of the GM's to the family truckster styling of the Navi. Plus, my aforementioned aversion to the Ford nameplate. I have owned numerous Fords, all have left me in the lurch and for the most part fallen apart. I vowed after the 1991 Mustang debacle never to own another. Plus, I have seen the Navy Heavy Duty trucks literally fall apart around the lugnuts in a very short period.
I am not an import guy. Not that I have anything against Nissan, Toyota or Honda, but I don't like the interiors or general construction of them. I have owned my share of imports as well, and all showed wear in similar places. Buttons, armrests, plastic dashboards etc... A couple of friends own new Infinity's, Mazdas and Nissans and I am less than impressed compared the the durability of the Chevy I drive every day. I realize the Armada is probably built a little different than the XTerra I drive regularly, but the Xterra is falling apart and looking very cheap after only three years.
I think the Russian KAMAZ would be an interesting vehicle...
http://flot.start.bg/images/users/325/KAMAZ-43269%20-Vystrel-03-03.jpg
...as would the Pinzgauer...
http://www.pinzgauersales.com/pinzgauer_for_sale/Pinzgauer-710M-1974.jpg
They are imported. Rumour has it the Canadian Army uses the Pinz to great effect...

nodigg
07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
you have to laugh!

Tom Brown
07-24-2006, 02:21 PM
They are imported. Rumour has it the Canadian Army uses the Pinz to great effect...
Stock is relative. :cool:

nodigg
07-24-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm right there with you Wes! You sound too much like my story. I HATE having to drive a lifted 2500hd diesel every day for all trips. I am about ready to buy a buzzbox to commute in and park the 2500 for toy hauler use only. But then the 2500 is maxed out on weight when I tow the dang toy box. Seems nobody looks ar the dry weight very closely at weekend warrior! Same thing for me, next step is the Kodak but even bigger means even less driving enjoyment unless hooked up to 15-18k. Let me know how you solve the puzzle...I'm listening.

Garrddogg
07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
There is a guy that puts a suburban body on a 2500 pick up chassis.. I used to watch them go for about 45 to 50K with around 35 or 45K miles on them..
Ill look for the link..

rivercrazy
07-24-2006, 02:35 PM
The toyota 4-runner can be had with their VVTi V8. Combined that with their XREAS suspension system and you have one nice handling, powerful, very durable/reliable, and easy to park tow vehicle. They are much better built than the Nissan Pathfinder

probablecause
07-24-2006, 02:37 PM
You are on the road to recovery.

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Damn Wes I would think that someone with your skills, connections, and specific set of needs would be able to come up with something trick. Ya know a great Tailor would never buy his own suits off the rack. How bout a 87 Blazer with a twin turbo on the old 6.2 litre diesel. There's this totally bad ass 77 Coupe de ville sitting just off I-10 near Vicksburg Road that sits on a 3/4 ton suburban chassis. Wait, I have it We find you a 68 Cadillac hurse and put it on a chevy 2500 frame duramax and all. Picture that rig towing your Revolution! Caption on the back could read "If you had a boat like this you'd figure out a way to take it with you when you go to!"
Chuck
A lot of the problem is available time and pertinence. A late-model vehicle is far more accepted by the aftermarket... unless you get into a classic auto situation which has retro-sourcing available. Additionally, you are far more likely to get secondary exposure (TV, Magazine etc...) if you represent a current-model year vehicle. If this wasn't the case, I would keep mine as it is completely dialed in.
I don't have any time right now. We are slammed building boats finally and the tow-vehicle is a peripheral concern. Pivotal in the sense that it is a big expense and a part of our whole presentation, but I don't have the time to fab anything up like I did on the truck.
Someday I want a 1965 Chevy Suburban with a Duramax in it. I might get my brother at OPM to build it...

RiverDave
07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
There is one of these driving around La Costa.. I see it every now and again. ;) You could make the guy an offer?
You heard my suggestions on the Turbo Diesel Van, slammed on Rims etc.. There's unlimited potential for the inside, and even panels on the outsides (recessed Plasma's etc..) for a show vehicle.. That and I've never seen a super "pimp" one towing a boat. ;)
RD

Rexone
07-24-2006, 02:43 PM
GM really dropped the ball imo when they failed to follow through with plans for the diesel/allison pkg in a suburban.
Of course that's looking at it from a niche buyers point of view probably in a relatively small market by GM standards (tow'ers of ***boats). After all, Texas ranchers sure as hell ain't gonna tow their horse trailers with no suburban!. And soccer moms would never spring the coin for the powerplant option when they could buy a small block.

Rexone
07-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Wes any interest in a nice 81 Suburban just begging for a diesel/allison conversion? :rollside: :rollside:

AZJD
07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
You know I seem to recall getting cut off at a bar recently for having this same debate(Supersonic, Jordy, Big Warlock, AJ, and Myself) It never ends well. Everyone loves the brand they drive.......Although GM is the best.
Bartender must have been a Ford owner!

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 02:49 PM
The toyota 4-runner can be had with their VVTi V8. Combined that with their XREAS suspension system and you have one nice handling, powerful, very durable/reliable, and easy to park tow vehicle. They are much better built than the Nissan Pathfinder
Still less power than the underpowered-feeling "G Wagon".
I may be unfairly comparing everything to my truck which has 450 hp and 800 something foot pounds of torque, but I just wish something that at least felt powerful towing a boat was available...
What was the name of that conversion company RD?

AZJD
07-24-2006, 03:10 PM
I may be unfairly comparing everything to my truck which has 450 hp and 800 something foot pounds of torque, but I just wish something that at least felt powerful towing a boat was available...
Wes, your not exactly towing a flatty! You have to compramise overall vehicle size, power, and durability if you plan on using this vehicle as somewhat of a daily driver! A topkick, Kodiak, or FL60 will do a great job, but isn't exactly a versatile grocery getter!
I have a stock 2500HD and drag my boat around with no problem, however I wouldn't mind having the Edge Box on mine for some more power!

BajaMike
07-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I drove a Hummer H-2 the other day and thougth it was pretty nice. Almost traded in my BMW and 2500hd for it.
It was $61,000 with everything.
It only tows about 6000 lbs though....

soupersonic
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
You know I seem to recall getting cut off at a bar recently for having this same debate(Supersonic, Jordy, Big Warlock, AJ, and Myself) It never ends well. Everyone loves the brand they drive.......Although GM is the best.
Did we get kicked out? I dont remember :220v:

Jordy
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't mind having the Edge Box on mine for some more power!
Yeah, and you think you have a hard time with tires now??? :D :D :D

Jordy
07-24-2006, 03:25 PM
They didn't tell us to leave, just that we couldn't get anything more from the bar. I told them that was OK because I had more booze in my boat than they had in the bar. :D :D :D

AZJD
07-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, and you think you have a hard time with tires now??? :D :D :D
It does have other levels besides #5.......

AZJD
07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Thats a big negative, we were just cutoff! There is a difference, and I think it had to do with the fact that she didn't have any bouncers!

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't like the brand I drive... I am an equal opportunity destroyer...
My last four tow vehicles have been a 1965 International Scout, 1998 Dodge 1500 Extracab, 2001 Durango R/T, 1985 Chevrolet Dually and the 2002 Chevy Crewcab 2500HD. In the mix have been friends with Ford Powerstrokes, Excursions and Expeditions up the yin-yang. A good buddy lent me an Avalanche for a while and I got to tow with the Humvee as well. Lastly, I have the Kodiak-Chassis toterhome I just bought. I have swerved towards GM lately because I think the styling and Duramax package was strong enough to stick with, and I had a late model Corvette that I loved ferociously. I did just buy Audrey a 530 BMW wagon, and would love an X5 if it would capably tow the Revolution. It won't, so back to GM basically.

Jordy
It does have other levels besides #5.......
Really??? :D :D :D

soupersonic
They didn't tell us to leave, just that we couldn't get anything more from the bar. I told them that was OK because I had more booze in my boat than they had in the bar. :D :D :D
We could barely get anything to drink while they were open :rolleyes:

rivercrazy
The problem is your wanting a vehicle that drives and handles like a car and is easy to park. But at the same time you want a vehicle that can tow your house off its foundation.
You can't argue with the laws of physics.
You just mentioned that the Durango was you favorite tow vehicle. The 4 runner would tow OTR as well or better and was the basis for my suggestion. But your 26 is better suited to a large, heavy, hard to park truck. Such as life

Jordy
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
We could barely get anything to drink while they were open :rolleyes:
Exactly my point. They ran out of the 12 Bud Lights they had when they opened and we just about killed the bottle of Kettel as they had no Goose. That place sucked!!! :D :D :D

AZJD
07-24-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't like the brand I drive... I am an equal opportunity destroyer...
My last four tow vehicles have been a 1965 International Scout, 1998 Dodge 1500 Extracab, 2001 Durango R/T, 1985 Chevrolet Dually and the 2002 Chevy Crewcab 2500HD. In the mix have been friends with Ford Powerstrokes, Excursions and Expeditions up the yin-yang. A good buddy lent me an Avalanche for a while and I got to tow with the Humvee as well. Lastly, I have the Kodiak-Chassis toterhome I just bought. I have swerved towards GM lately because I think the styling and Duramax package was strong enough to stick with, and I had a late model Corvette that I loved ferociously. I did just buy Audrey a 530 BMW wagon, and would love an X5 if it would capably tow the Revolution. It won't, so back to GM basically.
Your just going to have to figure out which one you hate the least! Nobody offers everything. Dodge has unlimited towing power but no tranny to handle it and an excessive amout of noise. Ford has great looks and a large body truck that is harder tho drive daily, and still even after reduction to 6.0....has loud engine. GM is a smaller truck but in my opinion has the best engine and tranny package available, and the styling is nicer than any other 3/4ton or larger truck.

2Driver
07-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Can't buy a 1500 either... they only come with a 5.3 and would be handily outclassed pulling the Revolution for a living up and down the escape grade leaving and entering San Diego.
Not sure you really want a 1500 anyway. However, I just got a new 1500 crewcab short box with the VortecMAX ( Alum Block, higher compression, 345 HP and 385 lbs torque) Chevy also updated the tranny to an HD transmission from the stock 1500 tranny. Tow cap is right around 9,900 Lbs. Also have ride control inside the cab to change damping on shocks - it works too.
The truck tows my rig (about 5,500 Lbs) great. A huge diff over the stock 5.3. I can cruise in overdrive without any downshifting from my house to the river. All that said, I am not sure it going to rip up your hillclimb outside SD. While the Caddy has nice HP with the 6.2, I'd still check into the Trans type and how it manages the torque. The hp may be better set for city acceleration vs towing 6,500 lbs over the hill of death. :rollside:

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
The problem is your wanting a vehicle that drives and handles like a car and is easy to park. But at the same time you want a vehicle that can tow your house off its foundation.
You can't argue with the laws of physics.
You just mentioned that the Durango was you favorite tow vehicle. The 4 runner would tow OTR as well or better and was the basis for my suggestion. But your 26 is better suited to a large, heavy, hard to park truck. Such as life
Funny thing is, the Rev weighs only 250 pouns more than OTR, but the increased trailer length screws the smaller tow vehicles...

BlackedoutF250
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
How about a CXT there is an interesting truck on ebay that is a custom made CXT that is running for 46k with a Detroit Diesel in that would pull anything and if you lifted it about 6" it would be one bad ass truck that no one has seen much of. If you want Ill sell you my F650 that I have that is lifted up on coil overs etc. It actually needs a home at Sema and were having trouble getting a company to take it in lol. Its a bitchen truck though not a good daily driver but awesome for show purposes and were working on selling it as soon as the paint and interior are complete. Hit me up if your interested.
John

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Your just going to have to figure out which one you hate the least! Nobody offers everything. Dodge has unlimited towing power but no tranny to handle it and an excessive amout of noise. Ford has great looks and a large body truck that is harder tho drive daily, and still even after reduction to 6.0....has loud engine. GM is a smaller truck but in my opinion has the best engine and tranny package available, and the styling is nicer than any other 3/4ton or larger truck.
No more trucks. I am keeping mine for shop use, but don't want to drive a truck everyday.

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 03:43 PM
I am nearly sold on the Escalade. It is big enough to tow, pimp enough to keep my pimp hand strong and looks pretty "G" towing.
I guess what I am most upset about is that literally NO manufacturer thinks enough of our market to offer a diesel powered SUV. What a great solution that would be...

rivercrazy
07-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Funny thing is, the Rev weighs only 250 pouns more than OTR, but the increased trailer length screws the smaller tow vehicles...
How about electric brakes instead of hyd. Then do a weight distribution system with antisway? Pain in the A to hookup but probably mitigates the length issue.
Amazing your boat only weighs that much more than OTR

Froggystyle
07-24-2006, 03:46 PM
How about electric brakes instead of hyd. Then do a weight distribution system with antisway? Pain in the A to hookup but probably mitigates the length issue.
Amazing your boat only weighs that much more than OTR
I just had the brakes changed out to electric because of the jake brake on the motorhome. It would engage the brakes the entire way down the backside of the hill and cook the bearings on the trailer. Plus, the Rhino will have the electric brake controller to keep everything in check...
I hadn't thought about load leveling as it only has a 400 pound tongue weight. It weighs about 5800 on the trailer with no gas.

al cole'holic
07-24-2006, 03:48 PM
..would I get flamed for throwing out the Range Rover HSE?? I looked at em last week, huge inside with a 7710 towing capacity...wasn't too sure about the wheelbase though. I towed my Cole which came in at 7900 with a Navi which was cool but the wheelbase made the freeways a scary haul..??

dmontzsta
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
How about an Infiniti QX56?
http://qster.com/images/QX56.jpg
315hp/390tq
I know a guy with one, they are smooth! Be prepared to spend $50k though.

rivercrazy
07-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I just had the brakes changed out to electric because of the jake brake on the motorhome. It would engage the brakes the entire way down the backside of the hill and cook the bearings on the trailer. Plus, the Rhino will have the electric brake controller to keep everything in check...
I hadn't thought about load leveling as it only has a 400 pound tongue weight. It weighs about 5800 on the trailer with no gas.
There may be anti-sway systems available without weight distribution. But never had any exposure to them.
I just know that Reese and Hensley make killer anti-sway systems for their WD systems. But your tongue weight is probably too light for them to work as designed.

Lightning
I am nearly sold on the Escalade. It is big enough to tow, pimp enough to keep my pimp hand strong and looks pretty "G" towing.
I guess what I am most upset about is that literally NO manufacturer thinks enough of our market to offer a diesel powered SUV. What a great solution that would be...
Ya know Wes, as soon as you get an Escalade or Yukon Denali (both of which I have driven and like alot) they are going to come out with a Diesel Suburban for 2007. Maybe there is a way to drop a Duramax into a Suburban? Didn't Tybrne Motorsports do that?

AZJD
Is Ford not offering the Excursion anymore with a diesel?

dmontzsta
07-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Didnt you say you like to be different? :)

GunninGopher
07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
...I guess what I am most upset about is that literally NO manufacturer thinks enough of our market to offer a diesel powered SUV. What a great solution that would be...
If you don't mind doing it, there is a guy in the midwest that was planning to sell brand new diesel (Duramax/Allison) Suburbans. You don't get a warrantee, though.
Do a search for him and you should find it. I think he was saying the he expected to sell them for about 50k.

Jordy
07-24-2006, 06:36 PM
If you don't mind doing it, there is a guy in the midwest that was planning to sell brand new diesel (Duramax/Allison) Suburbans. You don't get a warrantee, though.
Do a search for him and you should find it. I think he was saying the he expected to sell them for about 50k.
http://www.duramaxsuburban.com/
He takes used 3/4 ton 'burbs, does a body lift and repowers. Seems to me that I've seen some of them on Ebay and they were more than $50K.

Perfect Mixer
07-24-2006, 06:52 PM
You mentioned Mercedes, but what about Porsche. The Cayenne has a tow capacity of 7700 lbs. They're priced anywhere from $57K to $130K depending on how fast you want to go.
http://www.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/normal.jpg?pool=germany&type=galleryimage&id=3ff88f77-a51c-4fce-8ac7-f446bee6c6d1&lang=none&filetype=normal

BajaMike
07-24-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm debating between the H2 and the new Escalade. My brother-in-law just got a 2007 Escalade, and he needed my 2500HD to move some stuff for the weekend, so we traded. It's got nice chrome 22's is looks very cool. It drives really nice and sounds good!
I pulled into Hennessey's Sat night in the Escalade, and gave rides to three different hot young girls I've been lusting after (and they never asked for a ride when i'm driving my 2500HD or my BMW) when they asked me to (1)"take me to Ralphs for cigaretts" even though there's a Chevron next door, (2) "let's go down to Wind and Sea at the harbor to cool off", and (3) "let's go up to your house and have a drink".
I gave rides and got numbers for #1 and #2 and #3 never left the house that night, and we had breakfast....... :rollside:
I'm leaning toward the Escalade, but need to give the H2 the "Hennessey's" test to finalize my decision...:D
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Jyruiz
07-24-2006, 07:12 PM
How about an Infiniti QX56?
http://qster.com/images/QX56.jpg
315hp/390tq
I know a guy with one, they are smooth! Be prepared to spend $50k though.
Go back and read reply #4 and then read reply #13.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Two words: Ford F-650
Cat diesel. It will pull a house. We're just finishing one right now, 5" drop, 24s, King shocks all the way around, big sound system. The guy will be out the door for $100k.
That's a 6 speed Allison Trans in there too right SWB, if I'm not mistaken?

Magic34
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
You DO NOT want a Kodiak. Trust me!
Why not find a clean 2005 Excursion diesel?

angry dad
07-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Two words: Ford F-650
Cat diesel. It will pull a house. We're just finishing one right now, 5" drop, 24s, King shocks all the way around, big sound system. The guy will be out the door for $100k.
nuff said!! :)

locogringo
07-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Frooggyyyyy;
There are some viable alternatives for you out there...
1. GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton
2. Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton
3. Hummer H1 or H2
4. Cadillac Escalade ESV
With all three of these, you CAN get the Duramax and Allison, you'll just have to pay a little more for it. What do I mean? Well, there are a select few companies who will retrofit any of the three vehicles above with that available engine and tranny swap. THere was an H1 I was looking at that had something like 600 HP, and could go 0-60 in just over 5 seconds with the Allison and Duramax (modified of course). Only thing is they wanted $185,000 for it.
But, they also swap out the H2 engines and another company retrofits the Subs, Escalades and Yukons
THat' it;
Later

beer truck
07-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I second the Ford f650, but instead of going low, go high.
Cat 7 allison 6 speed air susp, air brakes 22.5*42" tires, and enough fuel capacity to travel cross country.

mbrown2
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Wes, the Escalade will tow fine...
It's not going to beat the diesel on grades or for mileage, but my wife's tow'd the 26 DCB without issue....I had a 01 Tundra with the 5.7 and a 2002 F150 Lariat 4x4 with the 5.4, and both are no comparison with 6.0 345 HP powerplant...it's a nice package..stock with ride leveling don't sux either..
I bought the duramax because of the boat towing, but I don't tow but a mile or so now....so it rarely even makes the trip to the river.
The Escalade is a nice combo for Bling, Driving every day, Parking, and Towing..

upsman105
07-24-2006, 07:44 PM
No diesel but what about a 3/4 ton Avalanche, you can get the 8.1.

ROZ
07-24-2006, 07:45 PM
There is one of these driving around La Costa.. I see it every now and again. ;) You could make the guy an offer?
Seen it too... I thought it was a Mercedes...

MBlaster
07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
No diesel but what about a 3/4 ton Avalanche, you can get the 8.1.
Yes and the new body style looks tits.

Magic34
07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't do a F650 either. My brother has had a ton of issues with his as well.
After me having a 4500, and my brother having his F650, I am much happier with my "normal" truck.

rrrr
07-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Seems like a lot of the answers in this thread are from guys that tow from SoCal to Havasu once a week. That's a lot different than running 10-15 hours straight while touring. I wouldn't tow a big boat like the Revo across country with anything based on a 1/2 ton chassis.
The short wheelbase of an Escalade will beat the crap out of you on I-10 from Houston to Atlanta, and there are lots of Interstate miles as bad or worse.
I'd look for an '05 diesel Excursion with a few miles on it. Plenty of punch, and the co-driver can stretch out in the back and sleep comfortably.
BTW my '04 Ex has been trouble free and gets 13-14 MPG towing our Chapparral 256.....the boat and trailer are about 33' overall and weigh over 6,000 lbs.

Drift
07-24-2006, 08:05 PM
This is P I M P !!!! MBZ UNIMOG. Makes a KODIAK and a F650 look like toys. They can pull any boat and your house at the same time. NO ONE would have it at SEMA. It's Huge and totally configurable.
http://www.mercedes-benz.es/camiones/unimog/imagenes/Unimog_Portada.jpg

rrrr
07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
How about one of these, just add a sleeper cab? :crossx: :D
http://www.buggyra.com/gfx/galerie/big/nogaro06/nogaro08.jpg

Trailer Park Casanova
07-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't do a F650 either. My brother has had a ton of issues with his as well.
After me having a 4500, and my brother having his F650, I am much happier with my "normal" truck.
What kinda of experiences has he had with his F650?

nordy racer
07-24-2006, 08:24 PM
i'm in this same problem... i just sold my Lightning due to it's towing rating 5000lbs.. it handles my 23 outlaw great, but next year we are moving up to a 30 or 32 footer so i need a 10,000lb tow rig and it has to be a SUV.. my focus is on a used Excursion, but im having problems picking between a V10 or a 6.0 PSD.. almost the same TQ numbers but its hard to pick..

RiverRatMike
07-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I find myself in the unenviable position of having to find the perfect tow vehicle/show vehicle for Trident for the next year or two. I can tell you that the market sucks ass right now.
The only truly great vehicle is the 2500HD Chevy and GMC, with the Ford Supersuck coming in second or third with the Dodge 2500 Pickups. I don't like the Fords or Dodges in particular, but there is no doubt that they are the best of the available vehicles for the purpose. There is no equal to any of the diesel powerplants, and the diesel powerplants are only available in the trucks.
That said... I hate trucks. I always have. I bought mine in '03 for the Diesel, but don't like driving something this size every day, and I don't like driving around with a patio on the back of my car the whole time. Lifted, I hated the truck with a dark passion. Lowered, I can get way more behind the program, but it is still a truck, still takes a request chit and a memo to park and still only fits four people comfortably. Lastly, everyone has them for the above mentioned reasons. When you see the SEMA show this year, it will be wall to wall pickups in front of the boats. I don't like having what everyone else has, never have. I won't be buying a new truck. Mine is two generations old now, so it is basically un-showable in a current show like SEMA. There is something sweet about my 25+ mpg while driving around SoCal though...
So, it looks like ol' Jay or Jason at Selman Chevrolet gets a call. I will just buy a new diesel 3/4 ton Suburban and be done with it. Except that Chevy won't put the only good motor in the inventory into the Suburban in any configuration. I would own one already if they did. Can't buy a 1500 either... they only come with a 5.3 and would be handily outclassed pulling the Revolution for a living up and down the escape grade leaving and entering San Diego. Have to step up to the 3/4 ton with it's whopping 6.0 monster motor. Price? $48K retail. Of course we won't pay that... but there you go.
Looked at the Mercedes G500. Gong. Great unless you want to go somewhere at a speed in excess of 55 mph. Floored on the 163 it almost crested 80. Price? $80+K. The only one I liked was the G55 AMG, but it was over $105K for a faster turd. That isn't going to do it...
Ahhhhh, I know. How about a Kodiak? They look pimp. They are big, which is good for shows, but everything I hate about a pickup is multiplied by two. So, even though I can get one cheaper than a Sub, it would kill me everywhere but the show circuit. Plus, with the Revolution as light as it is, I can't even tell it is there with the 2500 let alone a damn Kodiak. That is bringing a gun to a knife-fight...
Which leaves me with my three favorites... the Hummer H1, the H2 and the Cadillac Escalade.
With Chevy pussing out on the available engines, it turns out that GMC, Hummer and the Escalade all luck out. They get a better, bigger 6.2 liter engine than the biggest sub, but available in 1/2 ton running gear.
The Hummer H1 is my favorite of the bunch. They finally nailed it with the H1 Alpha which features the Duramax/Alison combination but also feature a $150K purchase price. It is also the last year they are building them, so they are running in short supply right now. The interior is austere, but can be worked with I believe. The hardtop is pretty cool, and I got to drive one for a while and loved it. Lots of power, lots of ability. Plus, it absolutely snaps necks wherever you go. I think with a little lift and some pimp wheels/tires it would be the perfect image vehicle. Plenty of tow capacity as well. It too didn't even notice the boat back there...
I took the Caddy for a ride yesterday. What a sweet deal. Plush, powerful and pimp. The three "P's". I can do a lot with it. Towing is nowhere near as bad ass as the Hummer, but with nearly $80K saved off the purchase price, I can probably tow a little slower up the hill for that. Lund Cadillac in Scottsdale wants to build it for me, so I wouldn't have to really worry about anything... just write a check.
The H2 is super soccer-Mom, so I don't like that about it. It is also barely fit to wear the nametag of the H1, but still is a formidable off-roader in its own right. Better than the Yukon or Tahoe for sure. Now that I am getting the Rhino, I can see having to go off the beaten path a little more, but more likely than not it would get 24's and thin rubber as that is more my style.
Anyone else running into these dramas? Is there really only one real option for towing boats today? Nothing without a Diesel is getting over 15mpg. The "G Wagon" is actually advertised at 12-14mpg. Even that has to be optimistic considering that we know those numbers are rarely achieved in the real world.
Man, you have issues

rrrr
07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
..... my focus is on a used Excursion, but im having problems picking between a V10 or a 6.0 PSD.. almost the same TQ numbers but its hard to pick..
I have owned both. The V10 is OK if you don't mind 9 MPG while towing and 12 in the city. The diesel gets 13 and 17, respectively, and 65-70 MPH highway runs without the boat will yield around 19 on flat ground. (Hey, it's Texas). :crossx: :D

Raylar
07-24-2006, 08:52 PM
WEs:
With the price of gas going off the chart, I am sure there are going to be a lot of late model low milage H2 Hummers going on the block cheap. Get one of these, drop in a chipped & equipped Duramax/Allison engine/tranny combo, get a sic paint and wheel setup and you've really got something to show off your boats and still have grunt and towing capacity. The engine/trannies are available out of Canada for about $6K and their are some good special vehicle shops who could do some great conversions. Just a thought!
Ray @ Raylar

Magic34
07-24-2006, 08:56 PM
WEs:
With the price of gas going off the chart, I am sure there are going to be a lot of late model low milage H2 Hummers going on the block cheap. Get one of these, drop in a chipped & equipped Duramax/Allison engine/tranny combo, get a sic paint and wheel setup and you've really got something to show off your boats and still have grunt and towing capacity. The engine/trannies are available out of Canada for about $6K and their are some good special vehicle shops who could do some great conversions. Just a thought!
Ray @ Raylar
When I was trying to sell my 4500 on offshoreonly.com, there was a H2 SUT that had the duramax conversion. The guy wanted $85k.

XtrmWakeborder
07-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Hmm how about the range rover sport or trailblazer ss? Those are pretty different.

Bense468
07-24-2006, 10:50 PM
I was thinking about this, and I started thinking a bitchen old panel truck would be what I would use. Then I came up on this. The norm sucks....
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/517/fr1005301fy3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5017/fr1005302fw4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5381/fr10053engineth1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Of course I would have to drop a chevy in it ;)

upsman105
07-24-2006, 10:57 PM
That is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time....in my unbiased opinion..

imbndvs
07-25-2006, 05:20 AM
Why not take a look at the Porsche Twin Turbo Cayanne. We used to have the Denali XL and the Porsche blows it away! Towes better, more comfortable, 450 hp, 0-60 4.9 seconds and will tow 7900 lbs. And 18 MPG on the highway.

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2006, 05:49 AM
To be honest, none of the new "trucks" trip my trigger enough to go buy one. I like my 93 Blazer, it's short enough to negotiate parking lots with aplomb, yet has enough tow rating to pull just about any boat I can afford to own. Other than being a little underpowered while pulling the boat up a 7% grade (but then again I'm not in a hurry to get to the lake) I have no complaints,... other than you can't buy a new one. If GM would start making a 2 door SUV (or even one with suicide re-entry doors like the extended cabs) on a short w/b, I'd be down at the dealer with deposit in hand.

superdave013
07-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Wes, It's ok, you can now tell us how bad you miss the ol' Scout!
Might not be the best for what you want now but I bet it was a great wheeler!!

Cheap Thrills
07-25-2006, 06:02 AM
I've always had a thing for B model Macks then again I am an old fart :)
http://www.oldmacks.com/292_03.jpg
With this much wheelbase you could put a condo on the back and still haul your boat .
http://www.oldmacks.com/292_04.jpg
C.T. :wink:

dmontzsta
07-25-2006, 06:26 AM
I was thinking about this, and I started thinking a bitchen old panel truck would be what I would use. Then I came up on this. The norm sucks....
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/517/fr1005301fy3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5017/fr1005302fw4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5381/fr10053engineth1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Of course I would have to drop a chevy in it ;)
That thing is bad ass! Nice find.

RitcheyRch
07-25-2006, 06:30 AM
I'll stick with my 2002 Tundra Xtra Cab withe the 4.7L V8. It tows my boat very nicely although wish it had better brakes.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Man, you have issues
I read through all that half thinking the guy was a chick :rolleyes: .... Is it really that difficult?

Seadog
07-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Froggy, I used to respect you and then you go saying you are a fan of the Great Mistakes.:D I have two suggestions that you might find workable. Get a Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7 and tow package from before some idiot messed with the styling. Some mild body work and suspension mods and it will tow your rig fine. The interior can be made even more comfortable than the Durango, and the bed can be made into great storage or other uses.
Even though you do not like Fords (such poor taste), they are coming out with a 4.5 diesel in the F150 and Expedition in a year or two. 300 hp and loads of torque. definitely my next truck

RiverDave
07-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Not sure if their still around or what their doing, but it was Oak Tree Vans in Escondido.. They build my old mans old conversion van (started life as a panel van) and it was ridiculously sick even by today's standards.. (and that was a long time ago)
RD

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Froggy, I used to respect you and then you go saying you are a fan of the Great Mistakes.:D I have two suggestions that you might find workable. Get a Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7 and tow package from before some idiot messed with the styling. Some mild body work and suspension mods and it will tow your rig fine. The interior can be made even more comfortable than the Durango, and the bed can be made into great storage or other uses.
Even though you do not like Fords (such poor taste), they are coming out with a 4.5 diesel in the F150 and Expedition in a year or two. 300 hp and loads of torque. definitely my next truck
Needs to be the current model year to get any kind of exposure... or a classic.
Like I said, if I wasn't needing a new vehicle, the 02' HD I have is as dialed as you can get. But I hate trucks.

Deano
07-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Get a Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7 and tow package from before some idiot messed with the styling. Some mild body work and suspension mods and it will tow your rig fine. The interior can be made even more comfortable than the Durango, and the bed can be made into great storage or other uses.
So..what you are saying here is to buy an old Dakota before someone messed with it, then mess with it. :p

AZJD
07-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Needs to be the current model year to get any kind of exposure... or a classic.
Like I said, if I wasn't needing a new vehicle, the 02' HD I have is as dialed as you can get. But I hate trucks.
Maybe we can get you a pink Mazda Miata to tow as a third vehicle with you since you hate trucks so much... :) :) :rollside: :boxed:

blown65
07-25-2006, 10:13 AM
You do not want an H2 unless someone put the dmax in it. Ours has the magnacharger and is fine unless you tow. Even towing my Centurion up hills is stupid and the gas mileage is about 7-8 towing. lol

soupersonic
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Maybe we can get you a pink Mazda Miata to tow as a third vehicle with you since you hate trucks so much... :) :) :rollside: :boxed:
You could always drop a big block in it so he could tow the Trident around town :rollside:

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 10:18 AM
I read through all that half thinking the guy was a chick :rolleyes: .... Is it really that difficult?
Yeah dude... it is. I have a 6000# boat to tow, a new company to represent, not-unlimited resources and am looking for ideas. I have gotten several phone calls solidifying my decision to go with a Cadillac, and it appears to be the best available option right now.
We as a business have spent an inordinate amount of time going to the forums and getting input when faced with a question about direction. The individuals on this board have given us great input at every turn and are responsible to a large degree with how the boat and company have developed over the years.
And, out of curiosity, which part sounded like a chick? The wanting a diesel powerplant, tow capacity, show-vehicle image or the need for the big audio system? I think I married the only chick I know concerned with stuff like that.

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't like pink either. ;)

spectras only
07-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Wes , this one has a 6 cyl diesel , has a hand crank inside with a flywheel to start it ,in case of starter failure [ took two of us 5 minutes to crank the flywheel to speed to engage the engine to fire up :2purples: :squiggle: To top it off it has props to go to the sandbar . :rollside: .Had these in the 60's , so it should be cheap to buy today :)
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/BTR-60-1n.jpg

Racer277
07-25-2006, 10:28 AM
To be honest, none of the new "trucks" trip my trigger enough to go buy one. I like my 93 Blazer, it's short enough to negotiate parking lots with aplomb, yet has enough tow rating to pull just about any boat I can afford to own. Other than being a little underpowered while pulling the boat up a 7% grade (but then again I'm not in a hurry to get to the lake) I have no complaints,... other than you can't buy a new one. If GM would start making a 2 door SUV (or even one with suicide re-entry doors like the extended cabs) on a short w/b, I'd be down at the dealer with deposit in hand.
You would be inline behind me.
I miss my 94. I don't pass one on the road without looking, it's just tough to rely on a 10 year old daily driver.
Wish they made a 2 door that wouldn't look like a station wagon.
The suicide doors would be great.

dmontzsta
07-25-2006, 10:30 AM
And, out of curiosity, which part sounded like a chick? The wanting a diesel powerplant, tow capacity, show-vehicle image or the need for the big audio system? I think I married the only chick I know concerned with stuff like that.
I thought you were a chick too, after reading this post.
That said... I hate trucks. I always have. I bought mine in '03 for the Diesel, but don't like driving something this size every day, and I don't like driving around with a patio on the back of my car the whole time. Lifted, I hated the truck with a dark passion. Lowered, I can get way more behind the program, but it is still a truck, still takes a request chit and a memo to park and still only fits four people comfortably. Lastly, everyone has them for the above mentioned reasons. When you see the SEMA show this year, it will be wall to wall pickups in front of the boats. I don't like having what everyone else has, never have. I won't be buying a new truck. Mine is two generations old now, so it is basically un-showable in a current show like SEMA.
Also...
We as a business have spent an inordinate amount of time going to the forums and getting input when faced with a question about direction. The individuals on this board have given us great input at every turn and are responsible to a large degree with how the boat and company have developed over the years.
Sounds like you need alot of help running YOUR business. ;) I can tell you an Escalade is a bad business decision (Coming from a fellow business owner). You can buy a Tahoe or Suburban and get the same out of it for ALOT less.
Tell you what, buy a Tahoe or Suburban and I will put the Escalade grille on the front for...$10k...deal?
:rollside: :)

Lightning
07-25-2006, 10:36 AM
hey Wes, are you thinking of getting the short Escalade or the long one?

Dub C
07-25-2006, 10:38 AM
could you get ahold of a VW toureag diesel?
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/VolkswagenTouareg/IndexV10.htm

YeLLowBoaT
07-25-2006, 10:41 AM
I can tell you an Escalade is a bad business decision (Coming from a fellow business owner). You can buy a Tahoe or Suburban and get the same out of it for ALOT less.
I have to agree with this statement. The are alot more then every thing else that will do the job. 10 k helps with the upgrades we all know you will do to it.
( here again I don't want to tell you how to run your biz, but...) You may want to get a few sales under you belt be you pump more money in the to company. No 1 will really look at the "truck", they will be looking at the boat. As long as the "truck" looks decent no 1 will care.( Like I said I don't want to tell you how to run your company)
I mean personally I would just buy a truck with 4 doors and a short box and call it done. I would be willing to bet that more ppl that would buy one of your boats like lifted trucks more then they like SUVs.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
And, out of curiosity, which part sounded like a chick?
This part... :notam:
I hate trucks. I always have. I bought mine in '03 for the Diesel, but don't like driving something this size every day, and I don't like driving around with a patio on the back of my car the whole time.
The rest of the post you sound like a "chatty cathy" rambling on full of indecisiveness. :)
Have you ever been clothes shopping with a woman? They literally circle every rack in the store (several times) before finally settling in on that 1 perfect blouse (or whatever), then its off to the fitting room where the real scrutiny begins. :messedup: Friggin drives me crazy!!! My wife has over 50 pairs of shoes! :mad:
Can you sell more boats by wowing everyone with your sport utility vehicle? Oh I get it, maybe you're targeting female buyers ;)
Good luck Dude! :cool:

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2006, 10:55 AM
You would be inline behind me.
I miss my 94. I don't pass one on the road without looking, it's just tough to rely on a 10 year old daily driver.
Wish they made a 2 door that wouldn't look like a station wagon.
The suicide doors would be great.
They could do it pretty easy... one of the reasons the Fullsize Blazer and Jimmy went out of production was because they were on a unique frame... so, why not take the Tahoe body, shorten it to fit a regular cab 4X4 frame, put a couple suicide/extended cab rear entry doors on it and call it good.
The Blue oval folks could get the Bronco back if Ford would do the same with Expedition... :idea:
Barring any of that, I'd like to find a 97 Blazer... Vortec and the newer style interior would be nice.

dmontzsta
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Have you ever been clothes shopping with a woman? They literally circle every rack in the store (several times) before finally settling in on that 1 perfect blouse (or whatever), then its off to the fitting room where the real scrutiny begins. :messedup: Friggin drives me crazy!!! My wife has over 50 pairs of shoes! :mad:
I hate that! Its like...cant you scan one thing at a time and NEVER look back? They are wired differently, they look at one thing, skip to the next, then they are back looking at what it next to the first thing! :mad:
Leticia is all about purses...
:rolleyes:

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Sounds like you need alot of help running YOUR business. ;) I can tell you an Escalade is a bad business decision (Coming from a fellow business owner). You can buy a Tahoe or Suburban and get the same out of it for ALOT less.
Tell you what, buy a Tahoe or Suburban and I will put the Escalade grille on the front for...$10k...deal?
Really... I am looking at having to step up to a 3/4 ton Suburban (Not available as a Tahoe BTW...) to even get a 6.0 liter engine. 350 or so horsepower. My price is $44,000 on it. That is an LT3 package without the nav system, power tilt seats and a predominantly plastic interior in front. Would need quite a bit of interior work to get to where we could show it.
The Escalade I have spec'ed out is $53,000. No nav, no special wheels. Everything else is completely loaded. Interior is light years ahead of the Chevy, comes standard with a 6.2 liter engine with 405 horsepower. There is a Magnason supercharger available and they are far, far more interested in bolting one for the SEMA show to a premium vehicle instead of the lower end Chevy. Same goes with every one of my sponsors. Wheel manufacturers, air filters, tires, brakes, suspension, exhaust, head units, amplifiers/speakers, interior, engine management, supercharger etc... would far prefer the Escalade.
When it is all said and done I will be bolting on and installing nearly $30K worth of aftermarket accessories and goodies at the suppliers expense. As a promotional vehicle, I not only have to concern myself with the exposure I get for myself and the image I present to my clients, but also the image we project for our vendors and partners. At the end of the day, if Chevy built a diesel version of the Burb, I would offset all of the other factors using the reality of the better tow vehicle. With the Caddy providing the best power, interior, aesthetic, image and luxury, I feel that it will best represent my company, my style and that of my clients.
Additionally, if you can build these things into a Suburban for less than the $9K difference in price I would be amazed. The quality of the paint on the Caddy is superior, the fit and finish is way better, the quality of the exterior hardware (running boards, mirrors, door handles,sunroof, badging etc...) is way nicer and at the end of the day you have a Cadillac and not a Chevy. Let's not forget the nicer grille either... ;) The auto leveling suspension, increased power, nicer amenities and far nicer interior is icing on the cake.
It is an apples to oranges comparison. The Caddy is way nicer. Far more than $9K nicer IMO. The fact that it is a better tow vehicle makes the decision that much easier.
All told, I would much rather have the H1 Alpha. Not $80K more though.

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Can you sell more boats by wowing everyone with your sport utility vehicle? Oh I get it, maybe you're targeting female buyers ;)
The client I am building boat number four came to us by seeing the Corvette and checking out the website. I run into people all the time who once they find out I own Trident mention immediately that they saw the truck well before they had ever heard of us. One of my riggers had to make a run out to the river to pick something up and I lent him my truck. As soon as he showed up to Martinez he said that literally ten people came up to him and asked where the boat was on the water that weekend. Boat was with us behind the motorhome in Havasu, but the point is that the truck makes a profound impression on my clients, one that is demonstrable and impactful from a promotional perspective. Our image becomes closely tied to the tow vehicle in any parking lot as well.
And yes, I am targeting female buyers. We like to call them our wives. It is no secret that the boat was designed to be woman-friendly. We get the motor, drive and boat we want, they get all of the features they want. Unlike my old potato chip boat that Audrey wanted out of from the first moment it hit the garage.
What is it you drive again?

jh4rt
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
If you go to a shorter wheelbase vehicle with that little tongue weight, you are going to have problems. You need to have at least 10% of gross for tongue weight. For towing fast and straight, should be around 15%.
I just towed my brother's boat (7200# on trailer with ~1400# hitch weight) to the river with a weight distributing hitch with my 5.3 tahoe. If it had to do it everyday, I'm sure it would wear out the 4l60 tranny, but otherwise towed it admirably. I think the escalade is an excellent choice. It has the bigger tranny / rear-end and the 6 liter. It also has an excellent relationship of wheelbase to overhang behind the rear wheels (actually a much better tow vehicle than a suburban). But, I would suggest moving your axles back / boat forward etc... to get some more tongue weight and towing with a w/d hitch.
For more information on hitches, you might want to talk to the folks at hitch-web. http://www.hitch-web.com (800-300-4067).

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
If you go to a shorter wheelbase vehicle with that little tongue weight, you are going to have problems. You need to have at least 10% of gross for tongue weight. For towing fast and straight, should be around 15%.
I just towed my brother's boat (7200# on trailer with ~1400# hitch weight) to the river with a weight distributing hitch with my 5.3 tahoe. If it had to do it everyday, I'm sure it would wear out the 4l60 tranny, but otherwise towed it admirably. I think the escalade is an excellent choice. It has the bigger tranny / rear-end and the 6 liter. It also has an excellent relationship of wheelbase to overhang behind the rear wheels (actually a much better tow vehicle than a suburban). But, I would suggest moving your axles back / boat forward etc... to get some more tongue weight and towing with a w/d hitch.
For more information on hitches, you might want to talk to the folks at hitch-web. http://www.hitch-web.com (800-300-4067).
Thanks for the great advice and experience. We had a great tongue weight with double axles (which I prefer) but the triples just reduced the weight to 400#. We tried moving the axles back, but the boat is just too light and moving them back further just looked stupid. The back tire is already back past the front of the engine!
Bottom line is, the boat tracks straight as a die going down the road. It is nearly 100% suspended by the trailer and the tongue weight seems great for all of our vehicles. No problems here!

MR HARLEY
07-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Surprisingly, we tow our boat with my F-150 Harley (Supercrew) and it pulls it with ease. I kinda enjoy pulling more with the F-150 over our F-250 (V-10). The boat tends to want to push the F-250 when going downhill.
In my F-150, its funny I hear guys at the launch as we are launching and re-trailering, saying " I cant believe that truck is pulling that boat. :D
Ford POWER :p

BajaMike
07-25-2006, 02:08 PM
I think the Escalade is well worth the extra money, as previously mentioned, I drove a 2007 around all last weekend, and I loved it. Well worth the extra the $8k or $9k over the Tahoe.
Somebody asks for some opinions and all of a sudden he's a "girl" and a "bad businessman" :confused: I don't get that.....
:idea: :rollside: :boxed:

BajaMike
07-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Surprisingly, we tow our boat with my F-150 Harley (Supercrew) and it pulls it with ease. I kinda enjoy pulling more with the F-150 over our F-250 (V-10). The boat tends to want to push the F-250 when going downhill.
In my F-150, its funny I hear guys at the launch as we are launching and re-trailering, saying " I cant believe that truck is pulling that boat. :D
Ford POWER :p
What size boat??? How much does the boat and trailer weigh??
:idea:

socalmofo
07-25-2006, 02:21 PM
ESCALADE hands down!
I have seen your truck several times. With the product you are selling it is a VERY good idea to have high end/ customized vehicles as many of your customers will have the same. I think a clean/sophisticated Escalade in front of your boat would be outta control!
Escalades are an all around a great vehicle. Towing, comfort, taking the lady out for the night, etc. It is not even comparable to a tahoe, especially the 07's.

Screaming Pete
07-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Wes have you looked at the International pickup, i don't have a pic now but hade it on the screensaver for awhile it was bad a## :cool:

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Wes have you looked at the International pickup, i don't have a pic now but hade it on the screensaver for awhile it was bad a## :cool:
The CXT... Huge. It would be cool if our boat needed it and we had the need to haul the boat around a lot, but literally any rated tow vehicle will tow it well. It does look completely sinister though... I like the military variant of it. :D

Donttreadonme
07-25-2006, 02:30 PM
H1 Alpha!

Screaming Pete
07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
The CXT... Huge. It would be cool if our boat needed it and we had the need to haul the boat around a lot, but literally any rated tow vehicle will tow it well. It does look completely sinister though... I like the military variant of it. :D
So a 32ft Rev. with twins would be required...if you build it they will come.....

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 02:35 PM
ESCALADE hands down!
I have seen your truck several times. With the product you are selling it is a VERY good idea to have high end/ customized vehicles as many of your customers will have the same. I think a clean/sophisticated Escalade in front of your boat would be outta control!
Escalades are an all around a great vehicle. Towing, comfort, taking the lady out for the night, etc. It is not even comparable to a tahoe, especially the 07's.
Thanks. We share that sentiment. The last ten folks or so to drive up here looking at the boat have been driving the following either pimped out Caddys and trucks or BMW 750s and Porsches. The Cayenne Turbo is completely bad ass BTW... I fell in love with that one pretty quickly... The majority drive trucks, but most have a sports car at home too and the wife usually has something SUV-like.

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 02:38 PM
I have seen your truck several times.
Out of curiosity... where? We get people all of the time that see it on the freeway between here and Corona/Riverside a lot. In fact, I have gotten a call or two from Screamin Pete while we drive up past his hood... ;)

MR HARLEY
07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
What size boat??? How much does the boat and trailer weigh??
:idea:
29' DCB.
Boat I believe is at least 5900lbs
Extreme Triple Axle I dont know the weight.

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 03:22 PM
So a 32ft Rev. with twins would be required...if you build it they will come.....
That may be next on the agenda actually... ;)

uvindex
07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
It weighs about 5800 on the trailer with no gas.
When choosing a tow vehicle, it makes sense to assume the boat's worst case weight (fuel, ice, beverages, safety gear, and assorted crap). A full tank of fuel in the Revolution's 125 gallon fuel tank adds nearly 800 pounds to that 5800-lb number. (Who tows a "dry" boat, except when going home from the ramp? Most Revolutions will be towed "to" the ramp with a full tank of fuel, no?) :)
Nice boat, btw!

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 03:46 PM
When choosing a tow vehicle, it makes sense to assume the boat's worst case weight (fuel, ice, beverages, safety gear, and assorted crap). A full tank of fuel in the Revolution's 125 gallon fuel tank adds nearly 800 pounds to that 5800-lb number. (Who tows a "dry" boat, except when going home from the ramp? Most Revolutions will be towed "to" the ramp with a full tank of fuel, no?) :)
Nice boat, btw!
Thanks. You are 100% correct about max weight... we just try to keep that to a minimum with regard to towing with fuel. Not to mention, with a vented tank, you lose octane in a matter of a couple of weeks so we try to keep the storage to a minimum as well.

MAXIMUS
07-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Just when I was feeling pretty good about my f350 power stroke... I read this thread & realize I purchased the wrong damn vehicle to impress the bitches with... :rolleyes: Combine that with a suck boat & I am basically fuked! :cry: This is a world that I am definitly not attracted too.... When my time comes to purchase a new boat I will have to check out the tow vehicles which are representin at the boat show! Then & "ONLY" then will I make my decision on bayliner or the new pimped out crown with the "G" spot on the dash... Escalade sales dudes have pimped out boats behind them to make the sale??? :messedup:

hottrodder
07-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Called out!

dmontzsta
07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Really... I am looking at having to step up to a 3/4 ton Suburban (Not available as a Tahoe BTW...) to even get a 6.0 liter engine. 350 or so horsepower. My price is $44,000 on it. That is an LT3 package without the nav system, power tilt seats and a predominantly plastic interior in front. Would need quite a bit of interior work to get to where we could show it.
The Escalade I have spec'ed out is $53,000. No nav, no special wheels. Everything else is completely loaded. Interior is light years ahead of the Chevy, comes standard with a 6.2 liter engine with 405 horsepower. There is a Magnason supercharger available and they are far, far more interested in bolting one for the SEMA show to a premium vehicle instead of the lower end Chevy. Same goes with every one of my sponsors. Wheel manufacturers, air filters, tires, brakes, suspension, exhaust, head units, amplifiers/speakers, interior, engine management, supercharger etc... would far prefer the Escalade.
When it is all said and done I will be bolting on and installing nearly $30K worth of aftermarket accessories and goodies at the suppliers expense. As a promotional vehicle, I not only have to concern myself with the exposure I get for myself and the image I present to my clients, but also the image we project for our vendors and partners. At the end of the day, if Chevy built a diesel version of the Burb, I would offset all of the other factors using the reality of the better tow vehicle. With the Caddy providing the best power, interior, aesthetic, image and luxury, I feel that it will best represent my company, my style and that of my clients.
Additionally, if you can build these things into a Suburban for less than the $9K difference in price I would be amazed. The quality of the paint on the Caddy is superior, the fit and finish is way better, the quality of the exterior hardware (running boards, mirrors, door handles,sunroof, badging etc...) is way nicer and at the end of the day you have a Cadillac and not a Chevy. Let's not forget the nicer grille either... ;) The auto leveling suspension, increased power, nicer amenities and far nicer interior is icing on the cake.
It is an apples to oranges comparison. The Caddy is way nicer. Far more than $9K nicer IMO. The fact that it is a better tow vehicle makes the decision that much easier.
All told, I would much rather have the H1 Alpha. Not $80K more though.
geeez, chatty cathy is right! :D
Want to do something much better for your company? Buy a white van and slam TRIDENT BOATS on the side of it, hell you could probably get one in a diesel, I guarantee you it will get more looks than a snoop dogg edition escalade. :rollside:

ChumpChange
07-25-2006, 04:37 PM
geeez, chatty cathy is right! :D
Want to do something much better for your company? Buy a white van and slam TRIDENT BOATS on the side of it, hell you could probably get one in a diesel, I guarantee you it will get more looks than a snoop dogg edition escalade. :rollside:
You can even paint a mural of your boats along the side of it :rollside: :rollside:

dmontzsta
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Just when I was feeling pretty good about my f350 power stroke... I read this thread & realize I purchased the wrong damn vehicle to impress the bitches with... :rolleyes: Combine that with a suck boat & I am basically fuked! :cry: This is a world that I am definitly not attracted too.... When my time comes to purchase a new boat I will have to check out the tow vehicles which are representin at the boat show! Then & "ONLY" then will I make my decision on bayliner or the new pimped out crown with the "G" spot on the dash... Escalade sales dudes have pimped out boats behind them to make the sale??? :messedup:
Maybe you should get an Escalade for your plumbing business, then you would attract some high end customers! Next thing you know, you are chilling with 50 cent and the G-Unit on Lake Havasu in your 50' deckboat.
:crossx: :) :rollside:

Acommanderguy
07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Wes I personally like your thinking. I believe that a sick looking Caddy towing that kickass boat of yours will attract alot of people! When we see your boat in Havi we all just stop and go wow that thing is awesome. How many of you have walked through the parking lot at the marina and admired the trucks and the trailers? and wonder damn what boat do they belong to! I have a 2000 tahoe lifted and love it! good luck wes! cant wait to see the pictures

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Well... it is good that you are acknowledging it early enough to get help.
Think about how ignorant this sounds... How many posts on here are talking about the rig that they saw on the 91, or the bitchin combination launching at the marina? Lots. Nobody ever describes just the boat if the combo is right... "I saw this awesome Skater with a Freightliner pulling it..." "Who was on the 60 East with the lifted white Chevy with the 24' Cole behind it?"
The tow vehicle is part of the package. A more important part actually because you don't have to drive the boat every day. Boats can be a little frivolous. They can lack utility... they aren't how you get to work. Most folks on here drive their tow vehicles to work I have found. I do. It is as important a lifestyle decision as your boat, house or helicopter.
Anyone pretending that we don't live in an image conscious world is dreaming. Something as stupid as a Starbucks cup makes a statement... good or bad. It depends on which side of the coin you are on. Overpriced coffee snob or connoisseur... you be the judge. Designer sunglasses? Waste of money or fashionable eye protection?
Life is short. It seems like four days ago I couldn't afford my first house without rolling a $5,000 school loan into it. Now is a different story. I have noticed that my opinion of what is considered wasteful spending has changed directly proportionally to my ability to wastefully spend. I ALWAYS worked on my own cars... I ALWAYS washed my own cars/bikes... I ALWAYS did my own motor work. It wasn't a pride thing... I couldn't afford to have someone do it and my time was worthless while in the Navy. Now, I have my oil changed at the dealer, a detailer comes by every week and knocks out the cars and I pay a really good guy to build all of my motors in a different state and ship them here. On the same token, I now employ 8 people who are counting on me to run a business, not clean my cars. My time has become a lot more valuable both to me and others. Once it costs me more time/hours to do a job than to pay to have it done, it doesn't make sense economically to do it yourself.
I enjoy my vehicles. I enjoy modifying them and dropping jaws. I like it when people want to go for a ride, as BajaMike mentioned, and I like it that people would rather ride in my truck than take a limo. Call me shallow. I have been called worse.
I am merely acknowledging the fact that people notice what you drive, and they sure as hell notice what you show at SEMA. I was curious what the populous on here thought of the tow vehicles I had suggested, and got some great insight on the Lexus and the Porsche, both were not considered prior but made it into the hopper after this thread.
Fact is, if I didn't have to tow a boat I would be buying a BMW 645 Convertible. I would prefer that to any tow vehicle on the planet... by a lot. Second choice, only because of a cost to operate would be a Ferrari 360 Modena F1. I can't see justifying the $1500 oil changes for a daily driver. Plus, I would probably put a lot of wear on it and destroy it's value. The tow vehicle/daily driver is a compromise.

hottrodder
07-25-2006, 04:47 PM
I wanted to replace our '99 burb with one of these based on an E-350 with the 6L diesel. 10K tow capacity. But the wife said NO WAY.
http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_traveler.html
http://www.sportsmobile.com/oldsite/4x4/traveler/traveler1.jpg

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Wes I personally like your thinking. I believe that a sick looking Caddy towing that kickass boat of yours will attract alot of people! When we see your boat in Havi we all just stop and go wow that thing is awesome. How many of you have walked through the parking lot at the marina and admired the trucks and the trailers? and wonder damn what boat do they belong to! I have a 2000 tahoe lifted and love it! good luck wes! cant wait to see the pictures
Thanks Anthony. Stop us next time you see us!

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 04:50 PM
I wanted to replace our '99 burb with one of these based on an E-350 with the 6L diesel. 10K tow capacity. But the wife said NO WAY.
http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_traveler.html
http://www.sportsmobile.com/oldsite/4x4/traveler/traveler1.jpg
Yeah... Audrey totally put the kybosh on the "rape-wagon" idea too. That was my first choice actually. I spoke with Jay about that idea a couple of months ago. I just don't see me driving a van everyday...

Acommanderguy
07-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Will do wes will do... Quick Question what color are you going to go with?

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Will do wes will do... Quick Question what color are you going to go with?
I only buy black vehicles... ;)
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/429-2/003.jpg
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/610-2/Lifted+Truck+Front+Side.jpg
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/desert_small.jpg
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/1476-2/2004+Ducati+Monster+02.jpg
I would have considered silver to match the SEMA boat if they had a good one, but they don't. I don't have pics of Audrey's new BMW yet. It needs rims first... ;)

ChumpChange
07-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah... Audrey totally put the kybosh on the "rape-wagon" idea too. That was my first choice actually. I spoke with Jay about that idea a couple of months ago. I just don't see me driving a van everyday...
It's only a "molestors van" if it doesn't have side windows or if the windows have drapes. If it just has a vinal mural...you're good to go.

blown dough
07-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Think about how ignorant this sounds... How many posts on here are talking about the rig that they saw on the 91, or the bitchin combination launching at the marina? Lots. Nobody ever describes just the boat if the combo is right... "I saw this awesome Skater with a Freightliner pulling it..." "Who was on the 60 East with the lifted white Chevy with the 24' Cole behind it?"
The tow vehicle is part of the package. A more important part actually because you don't have to drive the boat every day. Boats can be a little frivolous. They can lack utility... they aren't how you get to work. Most folks on here drive their tow vehicles to work I have found. I do. It is as important a lifestyle decision as your boat, house or helicopter.
Anyone pretending that we don't live in an image conscious world is dreaming. Something as stupid as a Starbucks cup makes a statement... good or bad. It depends on which side of the coin you are on. Overpriced coffee snob or connoisseur... you be the judge. Designer sunglasses? Waste of money or fashionable eye protection?
Life is short. It seems like four days ago I couldn't afford my first house without rolling a $5,000 school loan into it. Now is a different story. I have noticed that my opinion of what is considered wasteful spending has changed directly proportionally to my ability to wastefully spend. I ALWAYS worked on my own cars... I ALWAYS washed my own cars/bikes... I ALWAYS did my own motor work. It wasn't a pride thing... I couldn't afford to have someone do it and my time was worthless while in the Navy. Now, I have my oil changed at the dealer, a detailer comes by every week and knocks out the cars and I pay a really good guy to build all of my motors in a different state and ship them here. On the same token, I now employ 8 people who are counting on me to run a business, not clean my cars. My time has become a lot more valuable both to me and others. Once it costs me more time/hours to do a job than to pay to have it done, it doesn't make sense economically to do it yourself.
I enjoy my vehicles. I enjoy modifying them and dropping jaws. I like it when people want to go for a ride, as BajaMike mentioned, and I like it that people would rather ride in my truck than take a limo. Call me shallow. I have been called worse.
I am merely acknowledging the fact that people notice what you drive, and they sure as hell notice what you show at SEMA. I was curious what the populous on here thought of the tow vehicles I had suggested, and got some great insight on the Lexus and the Porsche, both were not considered prior but made it into the hopper after this thread.
Fact is, if I didn't have to tow a boat I would be buying a BMW 645 Convertible. I would prefer that to any tow vehicle on the planet... by a lot. Second choice, only because of a cost to operate would be a Ferrari 360 Modena F1. I can't see justifying the $1500 oil changes for a daily driver. Plus, I would probably put a lot of wear on it and destroy it's value. The tow vehicle/daily driver is a compromise.
I agree with you!!!!!!!!! We own a collision shop and my husband is a car freak so that's why he made the paint off the color code on our truck and we paid extra for Extreme Trailers to paint the trailer the color of our truck. My husband would have it no other way. Also I roll a 05 750LI lowered on 22"'s, image does matter, especially in Cali.

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I agree with you!!!!!!!!! We own a collision shop and my husband is a car freak so that's why he made the paint off the color code on our truck and we paid extra for Extreme Trailers to paint the trailer the color of our truck. My husband would have it no other way. Also I roll a 05 750LI lowered on 22"'s, image does matter, especially in Cali.
Well.... you certainly have a beautiful boat to haul around matching with! (You actually drove past our shop on your way out of town from Dave's with it for the first time... I said "damn..." )
You know who to call if you want a deck boat, right? ;)

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 05:02 PM
It's only a "molestors van" if it doesn't have side windows or if the windows have drapes. If it just has a vinal mural...you're good to go.
Noted... :D

Acommanderguy
07-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I bet that thing is gonna look sick! drop it on some 24's i think the black rims with your trident logo/design would just be awesome! I think I am gonna have to go to the sema show to see this set up

blown dough
07-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Well.... you certainly have a beautiful boat to haul around matching with! (You actually drove past our shop on your way out of town from Dave's with it for the first time... I said "damn..." )
You know who to call if you want a deck boat, right? ;)
Thanks!!!!!!!

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!
No problem!
(Just over here selling boats to chicks VDV...)
See post #104 to get the joke BD... ;)

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
I bet that thing is gonna look sick! drop it on some 24's i think the black rims with your trident logo/design would just be awesome! I think I am gonna have to go to the sema show to see this set up
How about one better than that. We will drive up to Castaic with it and give you a ride in the boat beforehand.

blown dough
07-25-2006, 05:23 PM
This part... :notam:
The rest of the post you sound like a "chatty cathy" rambling on full of indecisiveness. :)
Only 50 pairs of shoes? Whats up with that? And further more whoever is a real shopper (Girls) Never ever ever ever take your husband/boyfriend with you. I just grab as I go buy it and never try it on, works for me. The less he knows about my shoppin the better.

Acommanderguy
07-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Wes you guys let me know when you wanna come up here to Castaic or pyramid and I will make sure I have alot of gorgeous girls and beer! Show you guys how we do it in the 661!

Froggystyle
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Wes you guys let me know when you wanna come up here to Castaic or pyramid and I will make sure I have alot of gorgeous girls and beer! Show you guys how we do it in the 661!
Deal!

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Second choice, only because of a cost to operate would be a Ferrari 360 Modena F1. I can't see justifying the $1500 oil changes for a daily driver. Plus, I would probably put a lot of wear on it and destroy it's value. The tow vehicle/daily driver is a compromise.
I've got a little seat time in one of those... 1500 per oil change... worth every focking penny... :D :D :D
Tow rating is a little weak though... :rollside:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-25-2006, 06:20 PM
How many posts on here are talking about the rig that they saw on the 91, or the bitchin combination launching at the marina? Lots. Nobody ever describes just the boat if the combo is right... "I saw this awesome Skater with a Freightliner pulling it..." "Who was on the 60 East with the lifted white Chevy with the 24' Cole behind it?"
Thats precisely why I went with this set up... Its all about getting type in the sandbar. :cool:
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/VW%20and%20Wacker.jpg
Anyone pretending that we don't live in an image conscious world is dreaming. Something as stupid as a Starbucks cup makes a statement... good or bad.
...its all about da peeps. :notam:
Im with ya chief! I never buy a boat without considering what the owners suv looks like. :)

LUVNLIFE
07-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Did you ever buy the Toterhome or Duramax Motorhome or GarageToter? I thought that was the new tow vehicle? :cool:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
And yes, I am targeting female buyers. We like to call them our wives. It is no secret that the boat was designed to be woman-friendly. We get the motor, drive and boat we want, they get all of the features they want. Unlike my old potato chip boat that Audrey wanted out of from the first moment it hit the garage.
I knew I was on to something with the chic thang. :cool:
I drive this. Its economical, practical and smokes vettes (thanks to a sweet nos sytem).
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/sentra.jpg
I'm saving to update to a potoato chip boat because my neighbors like them. I would rather have a toon but my image isn't ready for that big of a boost all at once. :)

dmontzsta
07-25-2006, 07:12 PM
ahhh yes...the Escalade...enjoyed by rappers and soccer moms everywhere, it is so "different than the rest". :D
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3843/escalade2yl.jpg
You could answer the phones with "Trident boats dog, what the dealy?" :rollside:

MAXIMUS
07-26-2006, 04:51 AM
Maybe I should consider your services to step up my buisness's image??? Are you for hire??? I am thinking instead of worring about putting out a better product I just need to change my vehicles! :) Wes I think you are just a little overboard with your thoughts but whatever! On the small occasions I have been to Havasu on a reg weekend I see all the same people with the same ideas... So it makes sense! If you hang in an image driven world then you must keep up with the latest in images! I myself amigo drive a 1992 f150 that I am quite fond of! I also own a shit box jet boat & hang down on the quiet part of the river where nobody knows me... different worlds ehh! Nice thing about it for me is I am not throwing piles of money at my image to impress people I wouldn't even care to piss on if they happen to be on fire! As a buisness owner I think the main concern is product & not all the smoke & mirrors that so many people try to hype with. I don't hear Leach, Fetherolf or Barron asking people what they should be seen in! They are to busy building trick boats... This is only an opinion, but if you think your main clientel is comming from the sand bar then hang on to your ass! :notam:

Jbb
07-26-2006, 04:56 AM
I also own a shit box jet boat
blasphemous.....

DeeCandyBar
07-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Maybe I should consider your services to step up my buisness's image??? Are you for hire??? I am thinking instead of worring about putting out a better product I just need to change my vehicles! :) Wes I think you are just a little overboard with your thoughts but whatever! On the small occasions I have been to Havasu on a reg weekend I see all the same people with the same ideas... So it makes sense! If you hang in an image driven world then you must keep up with the latest in images! I myself amigo drive a 1992 f150 that I am quite fond of! I also own a shit box jet boat & hang down on the quiet part of the river where nobody knows me... different worlds ehh! Nice thing about it for me is I am not throwing piles of money at my image to impress people I wouldn't even care to piss on if they happen to be on fire! As a buisness owner I think the main concern is product & not all the smoke & mirrors that so many people try to hype with. I don't hear Leach, Fetherolf or Barron asking people what they should be seen in! They are to busy building trick boats... This is only an opinion, but if you think your main clientel is comming from the sand bar then hang on to your ass! :notam:
what don't you understand? the guy is selling a big-buck boat and doesn't want to associate his state-of-the-art product with a tow righ like your 1992 f150. people with the money to buy his boat are in fact drawn to a stylish, unique tow rig.
theres' a reason that people who can afford it shop on rodeo drive

dmontzsta
07-26-2006, 07:06 AM
The word we are learning today is "yuppie". :)

YeLLowBoaT
07-26-2006, 07:12 AM
what don't you understand? the guy is selling a big-buck boat and doesn't want to associate his state-of-the-art product with a tow righ like your 1992 f150. people with the money to buy his boat are in fact drawn to a stylish, unique tow rig.
theres' a reason that people who can afford it shop on rodeo drive
I only buy black vehicles... ;)
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/610-2/Lifted+Truck+Front+Side.jpg
I don't see anything wrong with that... ( other then its a cebby :) )

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 07:40 AM
I am thinking instead of worring about putting out a better product I just need to change my vehicles! :)
Hey, whatever works for you. I have stepped up the level of the boat several times because of a higher-dollar vehicle I have purchased. Lots of new ideas came from Aud's BMW, integration ideas came from the Corvette along with a cooler engine compartment aesthetic and we also swiped the "tech-flex" idea from the Vette. The new front ramp was actually splashed for shape from the Vette's cowl-induction hood. Our perforated interior idea we got from a... you guessed it... Caddy interior. I would say that changing your vehicles may very well inspire you to put out better product.
I myself amigo drive a 1992 f150 that I am quite fond of! I also own a shit box jet boat & hang down on the quiet part of the river where nobody knows me... different worlds ehh!
I do that too, but you guys haven't bought any boats yet. Amazingly, people who hang in the channel have. Strange huh? The guys with the 92 Fords and smaller boats aren't buying the luxury items... weird.
Nice thing about it for me is I am not throwing piles of money at my image to impress people I wouldn't even care to piss on if they happen to be on fire!
Wow... I wish I could so easily blanket people based on economics... I had no idea that people with nice tow vehicles and boats... among other niceties were not worthy of befriending. Maybe I should spend a second here and re-evaluate my lifestyle so that in the unlikely event that someday if I am on fire you will piss on me.
As a buisness owner I think the main concern is product & not all the smoke & mirrors that so many people try to hype with.
You probably don't grow your business much with that mentality. My main concern is client service. If you treat your clients right, always back them up, provide them with answers to their questions, reflect their lifestyle with your product and mentality you will move a lot farther a lot quicker. When you deal with the upper end of the market, it is assumed that your product is superior, and it is easily demonstrated to them. That is why they are there. The marketing, corporate image, visual appeal, word of mouth and reputation is what brings people in the door for me. The tow vehicle is part of that. I make fun of this one company every day I see their truck. It is an old truck, there is a dirtbag driving it and they have their name on the side... I have never seen the logic in showing up to look bad. That is the last image that I would want people to associate with a high-end custom boat.
I don't hear Leach, Fetherolf or Barron asking people what they should be seen in! They are to busy building trick boats...
You don't talk to them. I do. They ask about tow vehicles. A lot. Jerry and Bob in particular. You have never seen either of them pull any of their boats with an older rig... and in the middle of all of your ignorant spewtum you have this pearl. Show me one single picture of Bob or Jerry hauling their boats around with anything but a late model premium tow rig.
This is only an opinion, but if you think your main clientel is comming from the sand bar then hang on to your ass! :notam:
Well, so far 100% of my clients have... so do the math. We are all hanging on to our asses, we expect a rapid climb.
These are great people on these boards dude. Your comments seem little and ignorant. In every case I have seen, the only people calling premium products overpriced are the people who can't afford them. If you have an issue with people driving a premium tow vehicle and towing a bitchin boat, than I would say that you are the one in the wrong place and you may need to head back down river...

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 07:44 AM
The word we are learning today is "yuppie". :)
Actually, it appears to be "ignorant".
Strange... the haters all are ford lovers... hmmmm.
On second thought, I will take the "yuppie" hit. As I recall, it stands for "Young, Urban Professional". Sounds about right.

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 07:45 AM
I don't see anything wrong with that... ( other then its a cebby :) )
What is it they say... "Behind every hot single chick is a guy sick of her shit."
Something like that... ;)

superdave013
07-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Actually, it appears to be "ignorant".
Strange... the haters all are ford lovers... hmmmm.
I find it stange that the haters are all in the race boat / v drive scene.
The custom lowered truck market has been around forever. But in the mid '70s it got a big boost from the west cost boat racers. They were pretty much the first to lower and paint their trucks to match their boats.
Case in point. Look at the old pictures of Billy B's set up when he was racing K11. Not knocking Billy then or now. He's Ford Ranchero looked tight back then (in the pics I've seen anyway). And even now every thing he drives looks tight. Even his lil shop truck. Who would get a high end paint job done by someone driving an old beater?
Pretty much what Wes is doing is branding. He is trying to make an image the reflects his biz. Now Maxipad is a plumber and I'm sure the work truck fleet is kept up fairly well. No need for a plumber to drive a caddy suv on the job. I still say he has decent looking work trucks.
As far as the type of branding and image I need for my biz is 100% the other direction from Wes. My next shop truck will be very old, will have a straight axel, fender wall headers and some slicks on the back. Oh, it must have a 4 port hilborn injector sticking out of the hood and a 4 speed trans. I'll slap my logo on the side and park it in front of the shop every day. Now why would I do such a thing. Well because most of my customer base are running older race cars or old hot rods.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Here comes old superdave, trying to be all popular n shit... :D
I find it stange that the haters are all in the race boat / v drive scene.
The custom lowered truck market has been around forever. But in the mid '70s it got a big boost from the west cost boat racers. They were pretty much the first to lower and paint their trucks to match their boats.
Dude, the 70's were vantastic bra! rancheros and caminos make great hotrods so we used them and still do (have you seen Bandelins' :cool: ).
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Vantastic.jpg
Case in point. Look at the old pictures of Billy B's set up when he was racing K11. Not knocking Billy then or now. He's Ford Ranchero looked tight back then (in the pics I've seen anyway). And even now every thing he drives looks tight. Even his lil shop truck. Who would get a high end paint job done by someone driving an old beater? .
You mean this one...
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Circle%20boats%20004%7E0.jpg
Dave, you don't see the difference between Billy or Jim B's rancheros compaired to todays suv's? Dude, I can't drive a 2 miles without seeing some escalade or tahoe on snoop wheels rollin to the store. Todays image is fueled by "monkey see monkey do" instead of originality and creativity. Billy's S-10 shop truck was nothing fancy, nor was it fueled by a need for a false image. You have to spend $53,000 on a caddy pasted with cherios stickers for that. :D
Pretty much what Wes is doing is branding. He is trying to make an image the reflects his biz.
What I see is someone who can't make a move without first getting everyones approval. I feel sorry for him... The real tragedy is he [admitedly] customizes his product with everyone elses ideas.--> Lots of new ideas came from Aud's BMW, integration ideas came from the Corvette along with a cooler engine compartment aesthetic and we also swiped the "tech-flex" idea from the Vette. The new front ramp was actually splashed for shape from the Vette's cowl-induction hood. Our perforated interior idea we got from a... you guessed it... Caddy interior. I would say that changing your vehicles may very well inspire you to put out better product.
As far as the type of branding and image I need for my biz is 100% the other direction from Wes. My next shop truck will be very old, will have a straight axel, fender wall headers and some slicks on the back. Oh, it must have a 4 port hilborn injector sticking out of the hood and a 4 speed trans. I'll slap my logo on the side and park it in front of the shop every day. Now why would I do such a thing. Well because most of my customer base are running older race cars or old hot rods.
I give you props for your shop truck idea because its original even if its built for the wrong reasons. :messedup:
I like when someone customizes their stuff using originality and creativity. That is one of the reasons potato chip boats are so cool, aside from the awesome performance, they are all different and original.
Those who copy or buy for the sake of popularity [IMO] project insecurity. Whats wrong with having something because you like it instead of trying to create a false image based on "come and go" trends?

spectras only
07-26-2006, 10:02 AM
I understand Wes' point to stick out of the crowd , where image is a factor with toys involved. I had my 21 spectra for 26 yrs and towed it with my Challenger , Corvette 64 Lincoln etc..... Every time I had it out ,someone called they saw me on the freeway hundreds of miles away from home or at a gas station .If something sticks out of the ordinary people take notice. Take notice of the diff auto manufacturers I've used ,for an unbiased opinion on models :p :) .
my vette matched my buddy's Howard better :rolleyes:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/penticton19811%20copy.jpg
This was a perfect match , minus blue trim for the Linc :rollside:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectralincolln666.1.jpg
If I had a yellow boat this would be my choice of a tow vehicle. :)
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/hum2.jpg

YeLLowBoaT
07-26-2006, 10:13 AM
hmmmmmmm :idea: Its not in my budget.
actaully Froggie did say he wanted a H1.... well thats pretty close. One thing is for sure you would stand out.

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Dave, you don't see the difference between Billy or Jim B's rancheros compaired to todays suv's? Dude, I can't drive a 2 miles without seeing some escalade or tahoe on snoop wheels rollin to the store. Todays image is fueled by "monkey see monkey do" instead of originality and creativity. Billy's S-10 shop truck was nothing fancy, nor was it fueled by a need for a false image. You have to spend $53,000 on a caddy pasted with cherios stickers for that. :D
What I see is someone who can't make a move without first getting everyones approval. I feel sorry for him... The real tragedy is he [admitedly] customizes his product with everyone elses ideas.-->
What a marroon...
A) Getting "everyone elses approval" is also accurately termed "market research" which has proven pretty solidly in this thread that the Escalade is clearly the vehicle of choice, my suspicions were confirmed and that the market will not only accept my choice but embrace it. That is what we actual businessmen do before making changes...
B) I haven't seen shit for originality from you... You drive a hoopty Ford and you are bashing me for not being original? I might have Cheerios stickers on my shit, but at least they don't give away my vehicles in the bottom of the box. I don't know if you actually read my latest five tow vehicles, but they weren't exactly belly-button. Here is the hand built Scout....
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/collage_scout.jpg
427 BBC, 1.5 ton axles, tilt front end, custom built suspension, interior, dashboard, roll cage, steering, cooling etc... All built in 5 hour periods while staying operational at the Navy Automotive Hobby shop while an active duty SEAL...
Or maybe that Vette? Built engine, built suspension, built by me.
Maybe the lifted truck? Same truck as the lowered one BTW... I did that mod in a three week period prior to SEMA 2004. One man show too...
I don't know if you are looking at the same truck I am, but you show me a single other 2500HD Duramax/Alison with a notched frame, full four corner airbags, hand-built four link in the rear, custom audio system, 100% custom dash etc... I built it by hand, by myself. That is actual originality.
You are a hater... plain and simple. You clearly have never driven an Escalade, as you wouldn't have this opinion of them. They have way more power than your Ford, way more luxury, better gas mileage, tow better, look better, present a better image and puts you in polite company. It is a better truck. It's science.
I think you should go find some more sand to bury your head in. Evidently you have it sticking up enough to take notice of these trends.

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 10:43 AM
If that was in town, I would park that in front of the boat at SEMA in a heartbeat!
Is that yours?

BajaMike
07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Wes.....
That Scout is very cool!!! :cool: :cool:
:boxed:
Funny how some guys gotta play the jerk/internet tough guy.... :idea:
:cool:

dmontzsta
07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
What a marroon...
B) I haven't seen shit for originality from you... You drive a hoopty Ford and you are bashing me for not being original?
Thats a great way to talk to your "market" Mr.Businessman. :rolleyes:
Like it or not, his "hoopty Ford" is more original than any Escalade. :yuk:
Who drives Escalades?
1. Rappers
2. Soccer Moms in S. Orange County
3. Wannabes
BTW: VDV drives Fords and Chevys. I will let him chime in on that though.
:rollside:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I understand Wes' point to stick out of the crowd , where image is a factor with toys involved. I had my 21 spectra for 26 yrs and towed it with my Challenger , Corvette 64 Lincoln etc..... Every time I had it out ,someone called they saw me on the freeway hundreds of miles away from home or at a gas station .If something sticks out of the ordinary people take notice. Take notice of the diff auto manufacturers I've used ,for an unbiased opinion on models :p :) .
my vette matched my buddy's Howard better :rolleyes:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/penticton19811%20copy.jpg
This was a perfect match , minus blue trim for the Linc :rollside:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectralincolln666.1.jpg
Thank you for reiterating my point. :cool:
Wes, doesn't get it, he wants to blend in not stick out. Escalades are a dime a dozen regardless of what rims you throw under them. :sleeping:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 11:43 AM
What a marroon...
A) Getting "everyone elses approval" is also accurately termed "market research" which has proven pretty solidly in this thread that the Escalade is clearly the vehicle of choice, my suspicions were confirmed and that the market will not only accept my choice but embrace it. That is what we actual businessmen do before making changes...
B) I haven't seen shit for originality from you... You drive a hoopty Ford and you are bashing me for not being original? I might have Cheerios stickers on my shit, but at least they don't give away my vehicles in the bottom of the box. I don't know if you actually read my latest five tow vehicles, but they weren't exactly belly-button. Here is the hand built Scout....
427 BBC, 1.5 ton axles, tilt front end, custom built suspension, interior, dashboard, roll cage, steering, cooling etc... All built in 5 hour periods while staying operational at the Navy Automotive Hobby shop while an active duty SEAL...
Or maybe that Vette? Built engine, built suspension, built by me.
Maybe the lifted truck? Same truck as the lowered one BTW... I did that mod in a three week period prior to SEMA 2004. One man show too...
I don't know if you are looking at the same truck I am, but you show me a single other 2500HD Duramax/Alison with a notched frame, full four corner airbags, hand-built four link in the rear, custom audio system, 100% custom dash etc... I built it by hand, by myself. That is actual originality.
You are a hater... plain and simple. You clearly have never driven an Escalade, as you wouldn't have this opinion of them. They have way more power than your Ford, way more luxury, better gas mileage, tow better, look better, present a better image and puts you in polite company. It is a better truck. It's science.
I think you should go find some more sand to bury your head in. Evidently you have it sticking up enough to take notice of these trends.
Did I read that correctly? You're name calling now? BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Drop the ChRoNiC and step through the haze. :rolleyes: I'm no hater, I'm a congratulater! Congratulations for not being able to think for yourself.
I never said I drove a ford nor did I need everyone's approval to decide on a tow vehicle but this thread isn't about me, its about you chief. The all powerful image that you think impresses everyone because you drive a 1 in a million tow vehicle adorned with cherios stickers.
The scout, vet and trucks are cool even with the ricer stickers but you said you hate trucks. Did you hate the scout & vet too? Do you even know who you are? I would be willing to bet you're in there somewhere hiding behind that fabricated image. Come on out and be yourself, the waters fine out here. :cool:
**btw, I think the escalade is a great vehicle! a little boring, but thats just me... :)

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Thats a great way to talk to your "market" Mr.Businessman. :rolleyes:
This guy clearly is not my market FYI... Not that it matters for the discussion. I actually have gotten one or two PM's already from "my market" expressing support for both my argument and the vehicle of choice.
Like it or not, his "hoopty Ford" is more original than any Escalade. :yuk:
Actually, it isn't. There were 20,000 Escalades built last year. There is plans for 17,000 this year.
In 1992 nearly one million F150s were built. How is that even slightly more original? Because it is old? What a crock...
Who drives Escalades?
1. Rappers
2. Soccer Moms in S. Orange County
3. Wannabes
Who Drives Escalades?
I can tell you about the four people I know who drive them...
1. Real Estate developer here in San Diego
2. Heavy Civil construction contractor in Vegas
3. My landlord here at Trident (Who also has a Bentley Continental GT)
4. One of my investors, a major at a Commercial real estate brokerage out of Palo Alto
Good company I would say... Add a high quality boat builder to that list in a couple of days...
BTW: VDV drives Fords and Chevys. I will let him chime in on that though.
Yeah, so do I. What is your point? I just sold two of them, bought a Kodiak 5500 with the motorhome and I am buying another GM product.

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Thank you for reiterating my point. :cool:
Wes, doesn't get it, he wants to blend in not stick out. Escalades are a dime a dozen regardless of what rims you throw under them. :sleeping:
So you think that for a daily driver, day to day tow vehicle I would be better suited buying, designing and building a custom one-off rock crawler?

Cole Trickle
07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I thought you said you only own black vehicles;)
Do an 07 Denali:D :p
Same power and Luxary as the Escalade but without the ugly BMW "M" side vents.
Recent statistics have shown that 70% of all Rap Stars,NBA Players and OC Soccer moms drive Escalades/H2's while only 15% Drive Denalis.(This will help make you cool again with the F150 guys)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
So you think that for a daily driver, day to day tow vehicle I would be better suited buying, designing and building a custom one-off rock crawler?
All bullshit aside, I could give a shit what you end up with. I only hope whatever it is you buy comes from your taste and not current trends, popularity or an image problem.
Happy hunting :)
p.s. can you order an avalanche with the 8.1 then use some of the coin saved from not buying a deisel for a twin turbo set up? :cool:

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I never said I drove a ford nor did I need everyone's approval to decide on a tow vehicle but this thread isn't about me, its about you chief. The all powerful image that you think impresses everyone because you drive a 1 in a million tow vehicle adorned with cherios stickers.
The word is Cheerios with two "e's" and I fail to see how cereal has anything to do with corporate logos. Those logos you see are on the vehicle for a show, and represent a promotionally provided product. (That is "free" to those who are paying attention). The least I can do is put a logo on for a $5K set of wheels.
The scout, vet and trucks are cool even with the ricer stickers but you said you hate trucks. Did you hate the scout & vet too? Do you even know who you are? I would be willing to bet you're in there somewhere hiding behind that fabricated image. Come on out and be yourself, the waters fine out here. :cool:
**btw, I think the escalade is a great vehicle! a little boring, but thats just me... :)
Yes, I hated the Scout with a dark passion after two years of ownership. I was not only sick of it, but I realized that while I was driving at 55 mph tached out, no A/C, covered in dirt and grease from Johnson Valley on Memorial Day weekend after a rock-crawling event that I would prefer to be in one of the late-model trucks towing a hot boat back from the river. I traded it straight across for a 1979 Brendella picklefork and never looked back again.
I loved the Vette, but was ready for the new Z. I still haven't gotten it yet, but the time was right to sell it, I got a ton of money for it compartively and don't miss it either. Audrey had it as her daily driver and we both like the BMW 100% more than the Vette in any case.
At least my "fabricated image" is hand fabricated, by me, in my shop. What is more "real" in this case? Someone who has taken the time, energy and money to create and develop an image, or one who just takes what has been issued to them?

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
I thought you said you only own black vehicles;)
I painted the hood black... ;)
Do an 07 Denali:D :p
Same power and Luxary as the Escalade but without the ugly BMW "M" side vents.
Recent statistics have shown that 70% of all Rap Stars,NBA Players and OC Soccer moms drive Escalades/H2's while only 15% Drive Denalis.(This will help make you cool again with the F150 guys)
The dealer selling me the Caddy is really giving me a bitchin deal, and doing all of the work for SEMA. Caddy it is... but the Denali was on the short list.

YeLLowBoaT
07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
so here is what this thread says to me:
You are looking for a new "play pretty" and want to get your company to pay for it.
I may be wrong, but thats they way it looks to me.

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
so here is what this thread says to me:
You are looking for a new "play pretty" and want to get your company to pay for it.
I may be wrong, but thats they way it looks to me.
No, that is pretty much right on. I get nice vehicles instead of paychecks...
The company pays for my river trips too if it makes you feel any better. And the gas getting there, and the dinners for clients...

Cole Trickle
07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
I painted the hood black... ;)
The dealer selling me the Caddy is really giving me a bitchin deal, and doing all of the work for SEMA. Caddy it is... but the Denali was on the short list.
Krylon Baby!!! :crossx:
Hard to go wrong with either I just always liked the understated looks of the Denali.
Make sure you get the middle row with the Captains chairs.One of my clients got a new one and it's pimp.(Black on Black on Black)
The new fenders are huge they are begging for 24"+ wheels(22's look small on the new Hoes,Escalades and Yukons.
I saw one of your above posts about Magnuson being on board for the build.I don't think they have anything for the 6.2L yet? and I imagine tuning will be a bit of a problem for the next couple months. :idea:
Let me know if you need an Exhaust Sponsor;)

spectras only
07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
{b]If that was in town, I would park that in front of the boat at SEMA in a heartbeat!
Is that yours?[/b]
It belongs to a wild friend :220v: . The truck is called 'canadian steroid' :) .I think they're built in the midwest .
He had an H-1 before this one . This truck has a 496 and all wheel steering .
He's inspired by JJ , noting the 'salute' :rollside: >
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/hum.jpg
http://www.unlimitedtireteam.com/
go to the gallery and see Jens' toys.

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I saw one of your above posts about Magnuson being on board for the build.I don't think they have anything for the 6.2L yet? and I imagine tuning will be a bit of a problem for the next couple months. :idea:
Let me know if you need an Exhaust Sponsor;)
Alledgedly, Lund Cadillac in Scottsdale just got a Magnacharger or is getting it this week and they want to put it on the Caddy.
Tuning may be a problem. I don't imagine they would let it out the door without a thorough program session though. Maybe they are planning on using this one for the mule...
I appreciate the exhaust hookup, but we are tied in pretty solidly with Bassani right now. They have been great to me and build a flat out awesome piece.

Cole Trickle
07-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Alledgedly, Lund Cadillac in Scottsdale just got a Magnacharger or is getting it this week and they want to put it on the Caddy.
Tuning may be a problem. I don't imagine they would let it out the door without a thorough program session though. Maybe they are planning on using this one for the mule...
I appreciate the exhaust hookup, but we are tied in pretty solidly with Bassani right now. They have been great to me and build a flat out awesome piece.
Be careful
Just chatted with my Magnacharger buddy and he said they are 4-6 weeks out before they even go into development.He said they currently have zero parts that will bolt up to the 6.2L

RiverOtter
07-26-2006, 01:59 PM
:idea: My G Coupe tows pretty good :D
http://sowal.com/bb/gallery/files/1/7/7/P1010230.JPG

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 02:24 PM
:idea: My G Coupe tows pretty good :D
http://sowal.com/bb/gallery/files/1/7/7/P1010230.JPG
Just as long as it has a windshield, eh? ;)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 02:31 PM
So do you get free cerial? :D
At least my "fabricated image" is hand fabricated, by me, in my shop. What is more "real" in this case? Someone who has taken the time, energy and money to create and develop an image, or one who just takes what has been issued to them?
Lots of new ideas came from Aud's BMW, integration ideas came from the Corvette along with a cooler engine compartment aesthetic and we also swiped the "tech-flex" idea from the Vette. The new front ramp was actually splashed for shape from the Vette's cowl-induction hood. Our perforated interior idea we got from a... you guessed it... Caddy interior. I would say that changing your vehicles may very well inspire you to put out better product. ?
So in the process of this image fabrication did Audi, BMW and Corvette and Caddy designers give you the credit you deserve for allowing their ideas on your product? Very inspireing :rollside:

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 02:35 PM
So do you get free cerial? :D
So in the process of this image fabrication did Audi, BMW and Corvette and Caddy designers give you the credit you deserve for allowing their ideas on your product? Very inspireing :rollside:
You have a mullet, don't you?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 02:37 PM
You have a mullet, don't you?
No, I'm actually clean cut but thanks for the interest. :)

jh4rt
07-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I just wanted to post my tow vehicle:
http://www.mavsolve.com/assets/1.jpg
http://www.mavsolve.com/assets/2.jpg
http://www.mavsolve.com/assets/3.jpg
http://www.mavsolve.com/assets/4.jpg
http://www.mavsolve.com/assets/5.jpg
That is one of them; the other being my 05 tahoe. I don't tow much, just a little Schiada outboard...but it is orange and yellow to match the truck. Cool rigs get a lot of attention. In the early 70's, we had a 24' Spectra and one of the first ever Dually Crew-Cabs with Hitch Masters all over the sides. Everyone in town knew the truck and the boat.
I'm just reiterating (and I don't even like deck boats) that you are doing the right thing Wes.

RiverOtter
07-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Just as long as it has a windshield, eh? ;)
Dam straight :D I just did a poker run with Mr Jones. My face and neck still hurt :cry:

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 03:12 PM
That is one of them; the other being my 05 tahoe. I don't tow much, just a little Schiada outboard...but it is orange and yellow to match the truck. Cool rigs get a lot of attention. In the early 70's, we had a 24' Spectra and one of the first ever Dually Crew-Cabs with Hitch Masters all over the sides. Everyone in town knew the truck and the boat.
I'm just reiterating (and I don't even like deck boats) that you are doing the right thing Wes.
That is a seriously cool rig man... Plus, it is completely topical considering the old-school 'glass it is towing.
Thanks for the good words though.

BajaMike
07-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Beautiful truck!!!

RitcheyRch
07-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Love them old Chevy trucks.

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 04:08 PM
No, I'm actually clean cut but thanks for the interest. :)
BTW.. I forgot the little winky guy after my jab so it sounded worse than it was meant to... This guy... ;)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 04:19 PM
BTW.. I forgot the little winky guy after my jab so it sounded worse than it was meant to... This guy... ;)
I wasn't offended. ;)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Very nice truck! :cool:

superdave013
07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=V-DRIVE VIDEO]Here comes old superdave, trying to be all popular n shit... :D
That's funny, everyone else seems to tell me what an asshole I am.
Dude, the 70's were vantastic bra! rancheros and caminos make great hotrods so we used them and still do (have you seen Bandelins' :cool: ).
And Steve Sharp is still using one. I do think he is one of the last hold outs as fas as vans go.
You mean this one...
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Circle%20boats%20004%7E0.jpg
Yes I do see the difference. I also see the difference in the markets. Those people you see every 2 miles are Wes's market. Or at leaset he would like them to be.
What I see is someone who can't make a move without first getting everyones approval. I feel sorry for him... The real tragedy is he [admitedly] customizes his product with everyone elses ideas.-->
Easy to tell you are working for someone else. I bet it's safe to say you don't work in the marketing dept.
I give you props for your shop truck idea because its original even if its built for the wrong reasons. :messedup:
when I was a kid I used to draw pictures of 55 chevys (gasser style always), flamed Nova's and flatbottoms with big Ed Roth style engines. I've been there done that with the flatties so a hot rod just seems like the thing to do next. I do sell at the Pomona and Long Beach events so I still need a truck. I think something like that would be pretty cool to have parked in my booth. No question it would draw more people over. I just happen to have the engine from the flat sitting there to boot. I would like to find a roller pretty close to done as we all know how I am at completing projects.
I like when someone customizes their stuff using originality and creativity. That is one of the reasons potato chip boats are so cool, aside from the awesome performance, they are all different and original.
I agree 100%. To bad the times have changed or more people could make a living from that market. Now speaking of the different markets (potato chips & yuppie tribals) I just wonder who sold the most movies. You or the Pegged guy. I didn't buy a copy of Pegged and only saw the trailers. I love the stuff you put out as that is where my heart is. Like I said, to bad the times changed . If not maybe you could do what you love full time. Billy is truly blessed in that regard. Being damn good helps too.
Those who copy or buy for the sake of popularity [IMO] project insecurity. Whats wrong with having something because you like it instead of trying to create a false image based on "come and go" trends?
I agree with this also. But some of the fads that you and I both hate seem to be here to stay. Who would of thought that Rap stuff would last this long? Don't look like it is slowing down either. And the ricer stuff, it has turned into a HUGE market and has matured some but is still going strong. I hate 99% of them too but I did watch some running in the 7's on tv last night. That was pretty cool.
So Jerry, when are we gonna ride sometime? Wes rides too. Maybe we could all go. It would have to be some great conversation. :D

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 04:36 PM
So Jerry, when are we gonna ride sometime? Wes rides too. Maybe we could all go. It would have to be some great conversation. :D [/COLOR]
He would hate my bike... it's "blingy" ;)

slingingsmoke
07-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Go for the H1 and the HUGE tax write-off.....
the H2 is for chicks that want something different from a Tahoe
H1 all the way...you dont even need the Alpha..you could spice up the 6.5L diesel pretty nicely too...and also get a gear splitter, so you don't even need an Allison....at a fraction of the cost.
Good luck,
JON.

Froggystyle
07-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Go for the H1 and the HUGE tax write-off.....
the H2 is for chicks that want something different from a Tahoe
H1 all the way...
It is first choice. I just don't want to spend $150K on the thing, and the only one I like is the H1 Alpha.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Easy to tell you are working for someone else. I bet it's safe to say you aren't in marketing.]
I work 2-3 days a week for a huge company mostly for the benies. As far as the movies go,,,I am the marketing dept., the sales dept., the production dept., etc...
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I agree 100%. To bad the times have changed or more people could make a living from that market. Now speaking of the different markets (potato chips & yuppie tribals) I just wonder who sold the most movies. You or the Pegged guy. I didn't buy a copy of Pegged and only saw the trailers. I love the stuff you put out as that is where my heart is. Like I said, to bad the times changed . If not maybe you could do what you love full time. Billy is truly blessed in that regard. Being damn good helps too. .
I know nothing of about your pegged guy but my last movie is still selling. Not only that but it boosted all of my other sales! :cool: A little more inventory and I may make it full time. If it didn't pan out, I could make 6 grand a week shooting weddings (screw that!). :yuk:
I agree with this also. But some of the fads that you and I both hate seem to be here to stay. Who would of thought that Rap stuff would last this long? Don't look like it is slowing down either. And the ricer stuff, it has turned into a HUGE market and has matured some but is still going strong. I hate 99% of them too but I did watch some running in the 7's on tv last night. That was pretty cool.
I don't hate fads I just think people who follow them are dorks. :)
So Jerry, when are we gonna ride sometime? Wes rides too. Maybe we could all go. It would have to be some great conversation. :D
When it cools down lets go! I have an extra YZ if your ready for the "real" bike ride. :cool:

XtrmWakeborder
07-26-2006, 08:08 PM
{b][/b]
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/hum.jpg
http://www.unlimitedtireteam.com/
go to the gallery and see Jens' toys.
Make something like this! This thing is bad! Sadly i'm going to have to agree with some of these people, an escalade towing a boat on 22's 24's or whatever is not original or special at all. The bagged diesel deffinately was however. Remember sharpening the cutting edge.....

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Make something like this! This thing is bad! Sadly i'm going to have to agree with some of these people, an escalade towing a boat on 22's 24's or whatever is not original or special at all. The bagged diesel deffinately was however. Remember sharpening the cutting edge.....
So I should drive that to and from the river every time I go? 4 1/2 hours each way in 120 degree heat? The A/C on that rig looks awesome too... ;)
C'mon... you have to be kidding. That type of vehicle is what got me into boating again back with the Scout. You will notice that there is not a pile of difference between that monster and the Scout. I would imagine both would suck to drive to and from work every day.
I will leave the originality and such for the boat I guess. Perhaps the "ho-hum" tow vehicle will attract more attention to the boat.
Remember, today the Escalade is cutting edge. With brakes, wheels, interior, audio, supercharger(?) and other mods, we will sharpen it nicely.

STV_Keith
07-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Sorry it took me until page 5 to chime in Wes. Here's your truck:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H1-H1-HMMWV-H1-w-CUMMINS-conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ5360QQihZ012 QQitemZ220009727950QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Sorry it took me until page 5 to chime in Wes. Here's your truck:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H1-H1-HMMWV-H1-w-CUMMINS-conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ5360QQihZ012 QQitemZ220009727950QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I love it! But it is pretty rough... Like I said, I can't really handle a huge project right now.
Two years ago I would have been all over that.

XtrmWakeborder
07-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Put a/c in it then. haha oh and i love the scout too, i remember seeing one kinda like yours pull an old jeep out of the river at whitewash by the 111 a long time ago and ever since then thought they were the coolest things. Personally i will never own another lowered truck or suv, or one with big aftermarket wheels. It just takes the fun out of driving for me dodging potholes and crap.

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Put a/c in it then. haha oh and i love the scout too, i remember seeing one kinda like yours pull an old jeep out of the river at whitewash by the 111 a long time ago and ever since then thought they were the coolest things. Personally i will never own another lowered truck or suv, or one with big aftermarket wheels. It just takes the fun out of driving for me dodging potholes and crap.
Different strokes is all... I hope to have owned my last lifted truck... It takes all the fun out of driving for me parking six blocks away from the parkade because it won't clear, getting about ten miles per gallon difference between lifted and lowered on my truck, throwing shit all over the boat when you hit some water, covering the sides of the truck when you hit the same water, having to lift my dog into the truck, not being able to easily load motorcyles in it, not being able to get in and out of the bed easily, not being able to hear conversation over tire noise, dumping exhaust right into people's cars, not being able to park in my own garage, having to run a drop hitch from hell etc... :D

soupersonic
07-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Here you go Wes
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H1-H1-HMMWV-H1-w-CUMMINS-conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ5360QQihZ012 QQitemZ220009727950QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebaypho tohosting
A HI with Cummins diesel power and its black :)
OOOps repost lol

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Here you go Wes
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H1-H1-HMMWV-H1-w-CUMMINS-conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ5360QQihZ012 QQitemZ220009727950QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebaypho tohosting
A HI with Cummins diesel power and its black :)
Look three posts up! I was all over it until I saw the closups. That thing is pretty rough... I did some research into the hubs and such, and the only way to buy one I guess is to purchase it from a dealer and get an extended warranty. I guess a brake job is $1500 or so, so a service contract is a good thing to do too...

Beer-30
07-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Different strokes is all... I hope to have owned my last lifted truck... It takes all the fun out of driving for me parking six blocks away from the parkade because it won't clear, getting about ten miles per gallon difference between lifted and lowered on my truck, throwing shit all over the boat when you hit some water, covering the sides of the truck when you hit the same water, having to lift my dog into the truck, not being able to easily load motorcyles in it, not being able to get in and out of the bed easily, not being able to hear conversation over tire noise, dumping exhaust right into people's cars, not being able to park in my own garage, having to run a drop hitch from hell etc... :D
And don't forget driveline angle problems/vibrations, and the biggest of all:
Lifting loaded ice chests up into the lifted bed!
Since the dually is dropped 8 inches, I just walk up with the ice chest and slide it right in. Easier for the wife to load ice chests, too :cool:

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Fact is, when I used to go actually 'wheelin, there was all the need in the world for lifting it up. I agree that a lift and tires looks a hell of a lot better than stock, and I have yet to leave a vehicle stock. With a truck, you really only have a couple of choices... lift, lower or just throw big rims on it. I will be doing the latter on this one.
If I ever start going to the dunes or rock crawling again, I will build a purpose-built vehicle for it. Never play with your tow vehicle!!!! I learned that lesson the hard way a hundred times.
The whole time I had the Scout all I could think about was how much nicer it would have been to have a late model truck towing it on a trailer. My experience would have improved off and on road 100%. It would have been better at wheeling, better ride to and from. Additionally, I would have hung it out even farther while getting after it if I knew I could get home.
No more playing with the driver.

dossangers
07-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I too am concerned about IMAGE with my field of work. So i tow with a AMG E-55 469 supercharged 4 door! My boats a Superstock biesemeyer 555c.i. v-drive in todays world keeping up with the ''50 cents and Snoops of the world is Paramount!!!!!!! [ P.S. its my wifes rig ] I roll with 8.1 gmc lifted towin a blown alky K-boat and valet it at the ritz carlton next to the BENTLEYS! FYI the new GL 450 benzs are out and tow like a MUTHA and will accept 24's call me for a test drive/tow!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/167Jana_s_boat_2_008.jpg

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-27-2006, 06:28 PM
I too am concerned about IMAGE with my field of work. So i tow with a AMG E-55 469 supercharged 4 door! My boats a Superstock biesemeyer 555c.i. v-drive in todays world keeping up with the ''50 cents and Snoops of the world is Paramount!!!!!!! [ P.S. its my wifes rig ] I roll with 8.1 gmc lifted towin a blown alky K-boat and valet it at the ritz carlton next to the BENTLEYS! FYI the new GL 450 benzs are out and tow like a MUTHA and will accept 24's call me for a test drive/tow!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/167Jana_s_boat_2_008.jpg
:rollside: :) :devil: :D ;) :rollside: :cool:

nyeti
07-27-2006, 09:34 PM
I missed the begining of this, but another vote for the 2500 Avalanche. I hated the way the bigger trucks ride. I carry way to much ammo and war tools on board to do a Suburban again. The 8.1 tows my 28 Domn8er like its not even there, turns far better than a truck, and has great road manners, and hauls ass. I also like the sunroof :crossx: .
Froggy, the Scout is cool, I spent my high school years all over the back trails of the N. County of San Diego in an old Scout before it was all developed.

slcbaker
07-27-2006, 09:41 PM
The new tundra is looking like it will kick ass over all the trucks you listed. The interior looks sweet, crazy ass towing capacity, Toyota re sale value. NEED To see one in person though. The release date is this fall.

dmontzsta
07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Here is the new Trident boats tow rig.
http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/TStuntaz.jpg

superdave013
07-27-2006, 09:55 PM
:rollside: :) :devil: :D ;) :rollside: :cool:
ya just gotta love ol wayne. lol
I do have to say that when my ship comes in I'll have him set me up with a car to drive to the tri deck yacht.

superdave013
07-27-2006, 10:02 PM
When it cools down lets go! I have an extra YZ if your ready for the "real" bike ride. :cool:
Jerry, I would love to do that sometime. That would be really cool.

BiggusJimbus
07-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Canepa's work may be of interest to you...
http://canepa.com/inventory/suv.html
All the customization you could want, but somebody else deals with the project management.
Seen some of thier work. Beautiful stuff.

MAXIMUS
07-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Well Wes you seem to have a good thumb on the pulse of the current trends... Yes my company is stale & has not evolved for many years... If trendy vehicles with lots of stickers helps you convince people to part with their money then that is what you must do! As a buisness owner I am all for marketing. This shit your are spewing however is a little intense & in my insignificant opinion is a little overboard for a brand new buisness owner stepping into a competitive world of successful boat builders. Allthough I am sure most of your tree swingers are more than impressed by your appearance at the ramp. Just try not to come off so cutting edge & speak a little more intelligently. Saying shit like fords suck & trucks suck is very 3rd grade mentality. Not a good way to come off to customers with their own brains... :) Good luck with the "boat" company & take your time growing... :)

Trailer Park Casanova
07-28-2006, 06:56 AM
You are correct. The one we're working on has some pretty sick fab work. Even a custom made bed from two long beds. I'll snap some pictures when it's back from paint.
Now we're told that downsizing the rear bags, and putting bags on the front suspention, then air rideseats is the way for a better ride.
Is that the route to take?

KACHINA KEN
07-28-2006, 07:18 AM
You sure are spending alot of time in AZ, maybe time to transplant?

Froggystyle
07-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Saying shit like fords suck & trucks suck is very 3rd grade mentality. Not a good way to come off to customers with their own brains... :)
Cute.
Actually, if you go back and review, I said...
The only truly great vehicle is the 2500HD Chevy and GMC, with the Ford Supersuck coming in second or third with the Dodge 2500 Pickups. I don't like the Fords or Dodges in particular, but there is no doubt that they are the best of the available vehicles for the purpose. There is no equal to any of the diesel powerplants, and the diesel powerplants are only available in the trucks. That said... I hate trucks. I always have. I bought mine in '03 for the Diesel, but don't like driving something this size every day, and I don't like driving around with a patio on the back of my car the whole time.
Which, in a nutshell explains that while they are clearly the best vehicle for the job, I hate them. I don't think they suck. Additionally, I drive one.
I also go into why I am not buying a Ford again
I place the Navigator in the same basket with the Caddy, GMC or Hummer, and would prefer any of the GM's to the family truckster styling of the Navi. Plus, my aforementioned aversion to the Ford nameplate. I have owned numerous Fords, all have left me in the lurch and for the most part fallen apart. I vowed after the 1991 Mustang debacle never to own another. Plus, I have seen the Navy Heavy Duty trucks literally fall apart around the lugnuts in a very short period.
Way to put words in my mouth though.
I almost mis-quoted you there because the haters lines all kind of run together, so I deleted the last line...

dossangers
07-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Just wondering why the tow rig is so important? Isnt the Boat your selling Nice enogh to stand on its own? People at the ramp are looking at the boats not the tow rigs! Maybe this Havasu Yuppie trend get'in out of hand? If you dont Roll Large with a Pimped rig you wont be on the ''A'' LIST? :rollside: :boxed: :rollside: :boxed:

Little Wood Boat
07-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Froggy, I suggest you stop putting your effort into MAX. and VDV. They, too, are followers. They just don't understand it though. They enjoy their own kind of "branding." They think long hair, and 30 year old boats are stlye. They're reference group uses: BAWAHAHA and calling each other "chief". (kind of a high-schoolish manner of communicating), anybody else is just a wanna-be, that needs to be catagorized and played down. A plumber is really not on the cutting edge of anything, is it? OK, plastic over steel...that's really hi-tech. He somehow, twistedly attempts to equivicate plumbing and boat mfg'g as being comparable businesses. There's a million and one of him, but one in a million of you. And VDV, shouldn't he upgrade to VDD...V-drive DIGITAL. Nice, probably uses other people's software to "create" his product, Instead of writing his own software programs and building his own hardware he just buys it. Really a couple of individuals not in your target market, not on the leading edge of anything, and not worth persuing or referencing their opinions. Reality is you're looking for some kind of follower. We all know it, just not these followers. Now for the other "cling-on", DEMONSTA...he's retarded. Hansonlator says "wipe once, if problem persists, wipe again, then repeat until retard lets go". If you want'd these clowns as followers, you'd be vaccuum-bagging old Mandella molds. _____...Flat bottoms that's on "the cutting edge", hop, hop, hop...not. LWB

Froggystyle
07-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Just wondering why the tow rig is so important? Isnt the Boat your selling Nice enogh to stand on its own? People at the ramp are looking at the boats not the tow rigs! Maybe this Havasu Yuppie trend get'in out of hand? If you dont Roll Large with a Pimped rig you wont be on the ''A'' LIST? :rollside: :boxed: :rollside: :boxed:
Let's pretend it isn't going to tow the boat for a minute. Let's just say I am looking for a daily driver that has the capability of bringing clients to and from the lake with a boat behind it. For that purpose, a truck is neither the most comfortable, easy to drive or efficient vehicle. Like I said, if I had the cash, I would have a work truck and a really, really nice car to drive every day.
I know what you are saying, but when we drove the Hummer H1 to the ramp, we heard people asking each other who that was. We actually heard somebody say "That there's Jimmy Johnson". The ruckus that was caused at the ramp that day was significantly higher than we had seen with my truck in front of the boat. It was profound and obvious. Here was the thread about it in fact... Jimmy Johnson thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106506&highlight=Jimmy+Johnson)
This is my daily driver. I will go out to dinner in it, take the dog to the park, go clubbing with my friends, drive to and from work, tow a boat frequently and drive out to the river in it a lot. I only started the thread because I am disgusted with how little there is to choose from with regard to stylish, powerful SUV tow vehicles. I imagine that a whole lot of folks are in the same boat (no pun intended...) People have to drive their cars every day, entertain clients, go to dinner with wives, pick up kids etc... and many times these same vehicles pull the tow vehicle on the weekend. I have recieved emphatic PM's and phone calls with regard to two other vehicles I am going to go give a second look... the Porsche Cayenne and the G500 again. Both are great daily drivers with good tow capabilities. Both are fun to drive, easy to park and have plenty of power.
Too bad this became polarizing and derisive. I have been getting GREAT input via PM and phone calls by people with Escalades telling me how much they like them, but don't want to come on here to get shit for being a Soccer Mom. Thing is, lots of Soccer Moms mobiles are towing boats to the river on Friday...

Beer-30
07-28-2006, 10:10 AM
This:
http://main.altonco.com/listman/listings/l0026.html
OR maybe this:
http://main.altonco.com/listman/listings/l0003.html

BajaMike
07-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Wes, maybe it's on here but I don't want to read the whole thing.....
How much does your boat, trailer, gas, ice chests and everything weigh?
What's the tow rating of the Cayennea and G500??
I agree with your premise, as I mentioned earlier, I was thinking of trading my BMW (which sits in my garage 6 days a week) and my 2500HD for better daily driver that could also tow, the best thing I found was the H2, if you want to tow over 6000 lbs. There are not many choices..... :idea:
:cry:

RiverDave
07-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Alright Wes, I've been doing some thinking with regards to this program. With the deal your getting from the Caddy dealer (them tricking it out for SEMA etc..) I'd probably go that route.
However if your looking to stand out from the crowd, have the ultimate in class, and overall have some shit that most people out there don't, can't afford, or in most cases don't even know about then well it's time to step it up to Baller Status..
There's a Brabus Dealer in Newport beach right off McAurther and the 405. They take Benzes, and well make them Baller mobiles.. They do some shit with the M Series Benzes that will flat blow your mind..
There's another place (Can't remember the name, but I can find out if your interested) in Newport on Coast Highway that takes higher end SUV's (Land Rovers, Escalades, Burbans etc..) and SuperCharges or Turbos (your choice) puts bullet proof glass in them (if you want), upgrades interiors, puts a second A/C unit in them, privacy glass, or pretty much anything your heart desires so long as you bring the bank roll to back it..
Then it's kinda old school, but also different. Locally here Monster motorsports I believe is still making the Ferrari Laforza.. They order the Chassis from Ferrari, then put a motor and driveline in it.. Again your choice on the power.
Lamborghini used to make an SUV, I can't remember what it was called, but one of those tricked out, would still be a big hit at SEMA just becuase they are rare..
Finally, nobody has mentioned Land Rover yet.. That kinda blows me away, becuase they are by far and away one of the best production off road vehicles today (If you have the nuts to take something that $$$$ off road) they have plenty of power to pull the boat, and as far as luxury and escalade is coming up pretty short in comparison to a higher end Land Rover. They really are the "Benzes" of the SUV's.. Pretty freakin nice both inside and out, and have more cool gadgets in them then you can shake a stick at..
There's a bunch of "Unique" options that are definately more out of the norm then an Escalade.
RD <--- still saying go for the Lifted Van with a flat screen in the side of it. :D

BajaMike
07-28-2006, 10:12 AM
This:
OR maybe this:
Both look cool, but I think Wes said he wants something that can also be a daily driver..... :idea:

RiverDave
07-28-2006, 10:30 AM
This:
OR maybe this:
Cobra Boats already bought what looks to be a F650 6 door from them.. It's in their gallery about half way down under the heading Cobra boats.
Some bad ass shit in their for sure though!
Incidentally I know Force Offshore has a huge (I think) F650 as well.. Not sure if it's a 6 door or not, but it looked pretty mean when I saw it at Elsinore awhile back.
RD

Beer-30
07-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Both look cool, but I think Wes said he wants something that can also be a daily driver..... :idea:
Nothing is free. Both of those would be daily drivers to me. I drive my dropped dually everywhere. I just deal with parking however I need to. You can't have a heavy-duty enough vehicle to tow a boat, plus carry several people in style without taking up some real estate everywhere you go.

dossangers
07-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Froggy, I suggest you stop putting your effort into MAX. and VDV. They, too, are followers. They just don't understand it though. They enjoy their own kind of "branding." They think long hair, and 30 year old boats are stlye. They're reference group uses: BAWAHAHA and calling each other "chief". (kind of a high-schoolish manner of communicating), anybody else is just a wanna-be, that needs to be catagorized and played down. A plumber is really not on the cutting edge of anything, is it? OK, plastic over steel...that's really hi-tech. He somehow, twistedly attempts to equivicate plumbing and boat mfg'g as being comparable businesses. There's a million and one of him, but one in a million of you. And VDV, shouldn't he upgrade to VDD...V-drive DIGITAL. Nice, probably uses other people's software to "create" his product, Instead of writing his own software programs and building his own hardware he just buys it. Really a couple of individuals not in your target market, not on the leading edge of anything, and not worth persuing or referencing their opinions. Reality is you're looking for some kind of follower. We all know it, just not these followers. Now for the other "cling-on", DEMONSTA...he's retarded. Hansonlator says "wipe once, if problem persists, wipe again, then repeat until retard lets go". If you want'd these clowns as followers, you'd be vaccuum-bagging old Mandella molds. _____...Flat bottoms that's on "the cutting edge", hop, hop, hop...not. LWBYou are a BEAUTY just another nut swinger !!!#1 vdv videos equipment will buy a nice Benz and Maxi already has enough boats like me that would pay for a 32 Dcb !! Dont start talking shit and Badrapping our form of boating! You wish you had the TALENT TO BUILD OR DRIVE ONE!!!

superdave013
07-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Wayne, I hear what you are saying. To know both of those guys is to have a lot of respect for what we both know that they can and have done. They do like to come in here and stir it up a bit. And well, so do I to a point. It was not long ago that Maixpad and I were pushing VDV down the hill in the pickle barrel so to speak. lol
But you have to admit that this right here is pretty fockin funny. :D
Sorry Demonsta, "wipe once, if problem persists, wipe again, then repeat until retard lets go" would make a great sig line for somebody. LMAO :D
Now for the other "cling-on", DEMONSTA...he's retarded. Hansonlator says "wipe once, if problem persists, wipe again, then repeat until retard lets go". If you want'd these clowns as followers, you'd be vaccuum-bagging old Mandella molds. _____...Flat bottoms that's on "the cutting edge", hop, hop, hop...not. LWB

Froggystyle
07-28-2006, 11:29 AM
You wish you had the TALENT TO BUILD OR DRIVE ONE!!!
Been there, done that, come up bored. Then I built a boat from scratch.
I can't find a "yawning" smiley, so you wil have to imagine...

Froggystyle
07-28-2006, 11:34 AM
This:
OR maybe this:
OK.. that first one is bad ass, but hardly a daily driver... I would do that down the road if we build a bigger boat.

LakeTrash
07-28-2006, 12:33 PM
http://thumb18.webshots.com/t/59/559/1/44/47/2404144470094857818TqYuBF_th.jpg (http://community.webshots.com/photo/2404144470094857818TqYuBF)
Robbie lent me his car. Did not work to well as the A/C was out.
LT

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Been there, done that, come up bored. Then I built a boat from scratch.
I can't find a "yawning" smiley, so you wil have to imagine...
Really.... please, do tell :rollside:
Did you build and drive 1500 hp vdrive flatbottoms around 5 mile long race courses?
And if so, it made you bored! I'm afraid Im going to have to call bs on that one Wes. And don't even waste our time bragging about some squirt boat you had that went 110 for 2 seconds (when you could keep it running.) :)
What boat did you build from scratch that you haven't admitted to copying other peoples ideas from? Do you consider a 65 mph patio exciting? :p

RiverDave
07-28-2006, 01:16 PM
You are a BEAUTY just another nut swinger !!!#1 vdv videos equipment will buy a nice Benz and Maxi already has enough boats like me that would pay for a 32 Dcb !! Dont start talking shit and Badrapping our form of boating! You wish you had the TALENT TO BUILD OR DRIVE ONE!!!
I've written and rewritten this post 100 times..
1st off I'll start by saying I have felt terrible about what happened a year or so ago online between you and I. Ever since I got that bum information from Hal and posted it online (which again I apollogize for) with regards to a lawsuit that apparently wasn't real, I have been so embarassed about it that I've made it a point to just kind of avoid it all together, whether that be in conversations online, or even attending certain events that I knew you would be at. I don't even think I could find the words in person to describe how bad I feel about it... Shit it's been over a year and I still think about it everytime I see your screen name. To say I feel like a total schlep with regards to that situation is an understatement.
- PC Disclaimer -
As P.C. as I can though I'll say I disagree with most if not all of what has been written in this thread so far by the V-Drive gang. To be honest I'm kinda surprised at the sentiment put out by VDV & Maximus. I've met Jerry a few times and consider him to be a very stand up guy, so with that I'll say I respect him as a person, just disagree with his posts in this thread. I've never met Maximus that I know of (actually I think I met him once for a second in Parker, he handed me a drink I believe?) but I respect him for his accomplishments with regards to winning the 300 last year. That takes alot more to put together then I think most would realize.
- Disagreement portion -
As far as Escalades being "trendy" or not. I have to ask what the relevance of trendy is? Rewind 15 years back, and damn near everyone that was anyone had a slammed dually and a low freeboard hot rod in tow.. There was shitloads of them, but everyone had the same sentiment that they were cool. Point in fact it's 15 years later and I still think their cool. (Maybe I'm a little outdated in my style though who knows? I have a racing stripe in my garage and that was in during the 80's)
So now everyone has SUV's and big boats? Trendy, sure.. why not? Bad though? I don't think so, just different.
You own a pretty bad ass V-Drive, hell you even got one for the wife.. To say they are cool is an understatement, and to you they are probably king of the hill in terms of what suits your tastes. For me though, while I can respect that they rae bad ass, they aren't king of the hill. To me I'd rather have a Schiada, different strokes for different folks?
As far as why the tow vehicle has to be "bad ass." I can't hardly believe that any v-driver worth his salt would think that the entire package should be cool. I love seeing the Flat bottom with a nice paint job, and a Dually with the lower half of it painted to match the boat..
Granted it's a different genre with Wes's Deck Boat and an Escalade, but at the end of the day he is trying to accomplish basically the same goal as the dually/flat, but to a different Market. When they see the 24's, TV's in the headrest, and loud stereo, they are seeing in effect what the low freeboard guys see in a slammed "custom" truck, with a low freeboard high HP ride behind it.
As far as my disagreements to this post directly
You are a BEAUTY just another nut swinger !!!#1 vdv videos equipment will buy a nice Benz
I'm sure Jerry has some nice equipment for sure, but I sincerely doubt it's clipping the 75K + range, which in my mind is getting into the baseline versions of what I would consider a "nice" Benz.
and Maxi already has enough boats like me that would pay for a 32 Dcb !!
I'd challenge you to back that statement up. I'm pretty sure you have that K-Boat, the SS Boat, and a 24 Spectra I think.. You might get 30 for the Spectra, 25 - 35 (haven't seen it in person) for the SS boat, and who knows for the K-Boat.. Either way a 32 DCB is starting in the 300K range, your not getting 250 for the K-Boat.. I don't know what it's worth but I'd think 250K is probably a bit of a stretch.. by about 5 times if I had to guess.
Dont start talking shit and Badrapping our form of boating!
You guys have been talkin smack, and badrapping Wes's chosen market (or form of boating) this whole time? Why get so mad when someone said something back?
You wish you had the TALENT TO BUILD OR DRIVE ONE!!![/
I don't think you want to go down that road with me, becuase I actually do go out in the back and pull handles on a mill and a lathe.
As far as "building" boats, did you actually "build" your boats? Did you make the parts to rig it? Put them on the boat bolt by bolt? Make the Cav Plates, Pillow Blocks, fuel cell mounts? Motor? Steering? etc..
Or did someone like Dave Sammons handle the maching/rigging portion? Did a motor builder build the motor? Did someone make the fuel cells?
Sometimes it's better to let the experts (Like Dave) handle things like that, because they are in fact experts.. You shouldn't be talking down to someone though, and claiming shit like that when in fact I seriously doubt you "built" the boat.
If you want to see a boat that is being built from the ground up, then take a look at SuperDave's boat. It takes years to build something from scratch by yourself.
You guys all talk down to guys that just go out and write a check and get a boat..
In my eyes though most the guys talking the smack are no different then them? All you guys just write lots of different checks to lots of different people to end up with a boat.. Billy B for the paint, someone like Dave Sammons for the hardware and rigging, and a motor builder.
For my next boat I'll build most if not all of my own hardware, but believe me I'll ask for help from the experts (Dave Sammons in particular if I had to guess) when I need it. Then again I wouldn't be on a forum claiming I built the boat myself with no help from anybody either.
RD

Froggystyle
07-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Really.... please, do tell :rollside:
Did you build and drive 1500 hp vdrive flatbottoms around 5 mile long race courses?
And if so, it made you bored! I'm afraid Im going to have to call bs on that one Wes. And don't even waste our time bragging about some squirt boat you had that went 110 for 2 seconds (when you could keep it running.) :)
What boat did you build from scratch that you haven't admitted to copying other peoples ideas from? Do you consider a 65 mph patio exciting? :p
Officially putting you on ignore. seriously.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Froggy, I suggest you stop putting your effort into MAX. and VDV. They, too, are followers. They just don't understand it though. They enjoy their own kind of "branding." They think long hair, and 30 year old boats are stlye. They're reference group uses: BAWAHAHA and calling each other "chief". (kind of a high-schoolish manner of communicating), anybody else is just a wanna-be, that needs to be catagorized and played down. A plumber is really not on the cutting edge of anything, is it? OK, plastic over steel...that's really hi-tech. He somehow, twistedly attempts to equivicate plumbing and boat mfg'g as being comparable businesses. There's a million and one of him, but one in a million of you. And VDV, shouldn't he upgrade to VDD...V-drive DIGITAL. Nice, probably uses other people's software to "create" his product, Instead of writing his own software programs and building his own hardware he just buys it. Really a couple of individuals not in your target market, not on the leading edge of anything, and not worth persuing or referencing their opinions. Reality is you're looking for some kind of follower. We all know it, just not these followers. Now for the other "cling-on", DEMONSTA...he's retarded. Hansonlator says "wipe once, if problem persists, wipe again, then repeat until retard lets go". If you want'd these clowns as followers, you'd be vaccuum-bagging old Mandella molds. _____...Flat bottoms that's on "the cutting edge", hop, hop, hop...not. LWB
Lil wood boat, may I suggest you change your name if you plan on belittleing lil wood boats. It doesn't show well to your grasp of things.
old Mandella molds. _____...Flat bottoms that's on "the cutting edge", hop, hop, hop...not. LWB btw, mandellas are far from cutting edge flatbottoms.
-----------------------------------
So what's wrong with 30 year old boats? Does it bother you that these old designs are still copied today? Does it bother you that these 30 year old designs still make for the worlds quickest and fastest boats? :cool: ...
The hard truth is, you are afraid of combining big horsepower in a small package and putting it in the water. Not to worry, you're not alone...most people don't have it in them either, their idea of fun is comfort and relaxation thus the market for patio and pontoon boats. Where is the "***boat" in that?
You got me on the software thing. I did buy a computer so I could better assemble the ideas I put on Digital video tape. You could say the entire motion picture industry is guilty of the same thing although many still use film:sleeping:
We obviously struck a nerve or you wouldn't have put any effort into this thread either. Do you think you helped :rollside:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Officially putting you on ignore. seriously.
LMAO!! :rollside:
Come on dude, the only reason I even clicked into this thread was because I just bought a new tow vehicle and frankly it was an easy desision (sp) maybe i was a little hard on you with the chick thing so I take it back. If you were a Navy seal, you have my upmost respect! period. :cool:
--Jerry

Froggystyle
07-28-2006, 01:48 PM
This is cool... it shows that you posted, but are being ignored. I love it.

RiverDave
07-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Tell me where I can buy the equivalent of this today.. 4 seater flat bottom like Cole, Sanger, and others used to make.. Something to haul the family around, and then go haul ass with your buddies. As well as an approximate cost. I don't think you can buy something like that anymore?
So what's wrong with 30 year old boats? Does it bother you that these old designs are still copied today?
I don't think they make them like that anymore do they? If they do they gotta be 50 - 60 grand by the time it's all said and done.
RD

RiverDave
07-28-2006, 01:49 PM
This is cool... it shows that you posted, but are being ignored. I love it.
He more or less apollogized..
RD

dmontzsta
07-28-2006, 01:51 PM
The funny thing is, this thread was about being "original", right? lol.

slcbaker
07-28-2006, 02:00 PM
CHECK IT OUT.....IT LOOKS TO BE BETTER THAN ALL THE TOP THREE TRUCKS. You never can tell still have to wait till fall to see them.

RiverDave
07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
The funny thing is, this thread was about being "original", right? lol.
Is there anything original about your boat or tow rig? I'm just curious..
How about a twin turbo Cadillac North Star motor in a flat or cruiser? That'd be original, light weight, and make some decent HP.. 2 side by side Acura Legend Motors with roots style blowers on them.. 600'ish HP each all day long, both aluminum blocks that don't way shit. When was the last time you saw an "original" idea out of the v-drive group? Mazda Rotary motor? How about a Rolls aircraft motor? Something.. anything? The only "original" thing that's really happened that I know of lately is probably the introduction of the dual output v-drive, 2 prop shafts, 2 props for the drag boat scene..
I've seen blown Acura motors in Sand Cars.. Same with North star motors, it's not like somebody hasn't done it before more or less. I've seen aircraft motors in Rayson Crafts from ages ago (Hot Rod boat etc..), Seen Rotary motors in Australian Ski Race boats (110+ mph through a #6) and I've seen side by side motors in Kwicherbichen.. Shit I've even seen them inline on 16 candles.. How come nobody does cool shit like that anymore? One would think now that CNC is so popular these things would even be easier to do then before. Perhaps the same old flat bottom game isn't original anymore? Or perhaps these same guys that are in fact writing checks instead of building their own shit lack originallity? It's just a bigger check to be a little different?
Then again, you got guys like Prime Marine doing original shit to some circle boats, and you have Schiada doing something profound every year, so I guess there still is some original guys in the v-drive game.. It's just nobody in this thread is one of them. Kinda makes ya wonder how people are shouting so loud from their soap boxes.. Especially when they are standing in a glass house surrounded by rocks.
RD

RiverDave
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Where did everybody go?
RD

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Jerry, you've got 5 grand in crummy video equipment and shouldn't make fun of people who like to stay abreast of current trends. Remember the lowered dually/flatbottom trend?
Ok Dave, so I may have misquoted you a bit, am I close? :D
Lets address the trend subject. Trends have been going since long before I can remember. Try and remember all the trends that came and went. I remember the 70's vans, the cal bug, lowered minis (remember the floaters?), lowerd duallys, neon colors, parachute pants, baggy pants, trucker caps, honda civics, dubs, etc etc....
How many people do you know that followed any of those trends? I knew many, did I hate them for it? no!
I grew up reading Hot Rod magazine. I love how there were no rules in hot rodding back when it all started. You took what you had and tried to make it faster. That was the same premis that kicked off hot boating. Small light fast and overpowered what a great recipe!
When I see people gravitating towards trends, the first thing I ask myself is,,, is it functional and who thought of it and why. Most of the time, I can't find a justifyable reason for adopting them.
How many people do you know that do things for the sake of popularity? Whats sense does that make? Do you see where I'm coming from?
The whole image thing where you buy something so everyone will be impressed is IMO rediculous! I could sell all my toys and buy a brand new dcb to impress the world, but I don't want one nor do I care what people think of me. (I think my posts are proof of that :) )
I don't care what Wes buys to promote his business but I do hope its something he wants and not something bought to fit a fad.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Good point RD.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Tell me where I can buy the equivalent of this today.. 4 seater flat bottom like Cole, Sanger, and others used to make.. Something to haul the family around, and then go haul ass with your buddies. As well as an approximate cost. I don't think you can buy something like that anymore?
I don't think they make them like that anymore do they? If they do they gotta be 50 - 60 grand by the time it's all said and done.
RD
Dave, a 4 seater flatbottom is basically a 2 seater with the motor moved back and 4 seats. It screws up the handling (makes them porpoise) with balance thrown off but they make great ski boats.
You can still buy them new or used and new vans are still available. :cool:
You can spend 50-60 grand if you want a show peice or under 10 if you want pure function.

Cole Trickle
07-28-2006, 02:24 PM
How about something like this?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/284000-284999/284244_1_full.jpg
They said it's about being original.......
Nothing about being cool....... :crossx:

Froggystyle
07-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Where did everybody go?
RD
I'm here... I just can't see some folks. :D
Good points all around though.