PDA

View Full Version : Where are the flatbottom racers in Washington?

mcfrance
07-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Only two flats at Moses Lake races this past weekend. Pretty pitiful. Excellent water conditions the whole weekend. Races done by 2:30 on Saturday, and 1:30-ish on Sunday. Apparently, we are very far from the Green Lake days where it seemed like there were more flatbottoms than anything else. 5 Liters and flatbottoms are probably the most popular with the crowds. Hopefully, there will be more flatbottoms at Oroville (8/12-13), Pateros (8/26-27), Chelan (9/23-24), and Sammamish (9/29 - 10/1). Sigh...

CircleJerk
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Well Mr. MCFRANCE, In case you didnt notice, I have been promoting flat racing for five years now, and never heard of you or any other West Washtonian (that's the blue side) who wanted to help me in restoring flat bottom racing. Heck, I always have to call you guys other than Mr C. I and Northwest Water Competition along with American Outboard Federation took a chance that we might look foolish and or embarrass ourselves, and started the Outlaw Nostalgic Circle Boats comprised of aging (over 30 year old) ski, drag, and circle boats that NO one wanted and their inexperienced troop of Eastern owners. This you may already know. So pardon me, I have more.
Now, we have some of the fastest Washington circle boats (still aging) and some pretty (I mean that both ways to include the girls) dedicated experienced drivers that just proved themselves on a foreign large course at Black Lake (SS76 Lavey took a second on Sunday) and Burley Idaho. Also, they have put on one heck of a show for 4 years at Sammamish Tastin Racin Event (this year no Seattle boats ran us down). With this kind of recent exposure and growth, we still have NO communication either between your racers and ours but the two representitive organizations. This in my opinion either grows a class or kills it: NO communication between racers of a certain class.
Now tell me where all YOUR boats went! Do these apply: To the garage, sold to the Californians, awaiting some funds for capsules, waiting lower gas prices or a reduced APBA membership fees, or retired due to overall high racing costs and are now ski boats, the fate ours suffered 10 years ago! If you would like to PM me or call at 509 928 2070, I would love to help in your confusion, heck, I'm sure a jErK like myself can misconscrew the facts and still be loved by his pets! So, let the Jury conviene and pass judgement my way. Sampson, Sanger, and Samantha love me regardless!
Have a nice day boatless Seattle's division 10. Did you even go Mr MCFRANCE?
PS
Incidently, I am still waiting: What race will you honor our AOF cards and get insurance for our new Nostalgia Endurance class that has been approved??? $250 plus weekend fees is way too much to pay when we are used to $60 for the whole weekend of racing not to mention the $300 gas tow bill. We race August 12-13 at Newport and Sept 9-10 at Moses Lake, isnt it about time you guys returned the favor and shared our events?? In other words, come and try to reset Nostalgia records at one of your favorite courses. Sorry if I sound bitter, but GEEEEEEEEZZZZE Kip, I didnt forget you but the new classes will be resetting all flat records this year! Your's will live on in infamy.

CircleJerk
07-24-2006, 04:09 PM
I forgot, conflicting race dates, they dont help either. Same story, just another circus!

Moneypitt
07-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Back in 04 we tried to get info for a race in Wash. state. Called and called, NO ONE would even return our calls. Finally on the day we were leaving on the slight chance there would be a class to race in, Mr Codling calls and speaks for all the flatbottom boats and says there will not be a class for us. (PS) As it turned out, there was a SS class that ran that weekend, but with the leadership assumed by one person, none of them would step up to PS to allow us to compete.........We were ready to travel from Az. to Wash., but due to the real bullshit attitudes we experienced we will probably never go to Washington to race again..............Ray

Moneypitt
07-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Yes, you are right. We DID call other people. Not only did Codling tell us NO SS boats would jump up to PS, he was butt ugly nasty about it as well. We were in a close points chase at the time and Mike Lee offered $1000 winner take all if any SS boats would race with us. We were told there was no amount of money that would cause ANY SS boats to race PS. Now if you want to talk about supporting the sport, maybe you should be talking to the organizers up there and the way they treat the boats from down south. By contrast, the people from Morgan City La. were the most helpful and encouraging group I can ever remember racing with. We went there instead of the Pacific NW chasing points. We are not childish, we DO support the sport heavily. I can not speak about $60. race weekends as I've never seen one. Yes it is an expensive sport. Travel alone will put you in the poorhouse. Ask me, I just returned from a 6300 mile, 15 state, 2 country, and 2 race trip. If that isn't something close to sport dedication please explain what is.............Ray

circleboatKIDD
07-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Ask me, I just returned from a 6300 mile, 15 state, 2 country, and 2 race trip. If that isn't something close to sport dedication please explain what is.............Ray
Moneypitt thanks for all the help with gramps is boat, thats one hell of a trip, I flew there in 94. I thinks there was like 15 ps/cam-ams boats that time. Thats was back when Gordy was running a GP boat.

CircleJerk
07-24-2006, 09:26 PM
APBA inboard schedule: http://www.goboatracing.net/schedule.aspx
Didn't Codling's (and Company's boat) run Tastin-N-Racin this year?
Yes, Jeff was testing and had fun with us, I think. Shows how easy we are in sharing the same course and our event, doesnt it?
How is $60 supposed to pay for the insurance, sanction, rescue/medic, rent, and other costs like that? $60 won't even pay for the gas for one heat. Current fees do not really pay for all the costs either. If racers want purses like they have elsewhere in the world, $60 ain't going to cut it.
Boy, you are really uninformed on this point, call me I can explain.
If you don't like the rules, either fight for change, or keep your complaining to yourself.
I dont and I did! Nostalgia is here! I am not complaining just explaining!
There are other people besides Codling people can contact to find out about races, i.e., the particular race chairman, the sponsoring association's commodore, and/or individual racers. When the race is actually going on, who is thinking about any of this? Probably no one. It sounds like people need to work on putting aside their issues for the sake of the sport. Sure there are blame and excuses to go around, but people don't watch blame and excuses race.
Here's where you need to call me, I wont sling mud or blame. But someone needs to reprint smiley face stickers to attach to some of these folks!
You guys do what you want. It just was a rather sad spectacle to see only two flatbottoms racing in a region known for record setting boats and courses, and I just wanted to make sure people know what isn't happening.
I agree and let me say that we are struggling this year for boat count as well.
Good points and I understand where you are coming from. Heck, I dont want to sound like I know it all, I dont.
I hope the future will see a SS or PS full fields and our NE class represented at the same event, then the spectator sees twice the flat count! This is very possible now and only minor details need to be worked out. You cant expect all of our old boats to come and fit into SS or PS, it wont happen. Havent we proven we can stand on our own and put on a show with or without? Cost is still a factor unless I can find a sponsor to help. I hope to be in Burley next year with boats, lots of them.
PS Do you really think our old boats should compete side by side with capsule boats, just to make it a legal APBA heat? Everyone knows we run boats that in their day were OK but now are not even in the same ball park of b-boats. Is this safe? We have our class now, some of us will step up to PS and the rest of us know our place, and will probably have to install speed limiters to conform to APBA. So, we will see you in the future, maybe.

CircleJerk
07-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Well,
jErK stated, below, being used to $60 entrance fees. jErK also complains about insurance for his approved endurance class.
I DID NOT!
But, when there is a flatbottom race in practically your backyard, and you choose not to go to due to personalities or whatever, that is lame.
WHO SAID THIS? I DIDNT CHOOSE ANYTHING, WE WERE NOT INVITED AS A NOSTALGIA CLASS! Our guys are in competition right now, for AOF points not APBA! I had stated at Divisionals that I would love to go IF three other NE racers would also. MY 396 IS NO MATCH FOR A PS Or SS. Want to pay my entry fee and I will be there like I did for Chris Kenner LAST YEAR AT THIS RACE! But I didnt pass tech then!
NO ONE CALLED in 2006 from division 10! I went cruising with my family, which by the way, comes FIRST.
Lame.
Now, answer my question, were you there with your boat? Someone PM me who this France guy or gal is before he really gets me jErKin............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..

CircleJerk
07-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Now I know who you are, Rich. Why dont you bring your nephews former SS427 racer out to run? You're making me really miss some of the real Seattle racers here on the forum by representing them and calling us lame. Have you ever raced or paid the costs involved?? If you need advise in promoting racing in the PNW, I would suggest not insulting the largest class of flats residing there by calling us lame. Are you having a bad Monday, well we are having a bad year for boat count also? Arent you a lawyer? Poor choice of words, dont you think?

biesemeyer34
07-25-2006, 04:03 AM
Team Davis had two other commitments last weekend. My driver had eye surgery and my other son had a lineman's rodeo that I attended in Montana. Nobody loves flats more than Jimmy D. but sometimes just can't attend. I won't drive 6300 miles for a race , sorry Ray. JimmyD-SS34

RaysonKid
07-25-2006, 07:29 AM
The racers and the racing families are still here.
Flatbottom racing in Washington has always had to take a back seat to the hydro classes. The politics have always been around as well.
I have been to some of the races that Boyds group put on. They are making it work and its a fan friendly type of event.
The last race at Black Lake that the APBA put on, fans couldnt even go see the flatbottoms. Our maybe it was just Superlite72's bad attitude.... :)
There use to be alot more options as far as places to race Capital lake, Black, Green, Sammamish, Spanaway, Lake Tapps and more.
Now if someone wanted to own a K boat they would have to travel to California or Idaho to race. And hope enough boats showed.
At least at the Nostalgic races they found some way to let you run.
As long as a safety inspection is passed.
Mcfrance, Prove to me that we could bring a boat, race(guaranteed) and have fun at one of your events. Of course we would have to jump through all the APBA hoops. So why bother.

Chris Kenner - PS681
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Chris Kenner, where are you?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfrance
Well,
jErK stated, below, being used to $60 entrance fees. jErK also complains about insurance for his approved endurance class.
I DID NOT!
But, when there is a flatbottom race in practically your backyard, and you choose not to go to due to personalities or whatever, that is lame.
WHO SAID THIS? I DIDNT CHOOSE ANYTHING, WE WERE NOT INVITED AS A NOSTALGIA CLASS! Our guys are in competition right now, for AOF points not APBA! I had stated at Divisionals that I would love to go IF three other NE racers would also. MY 396 IS NO MATCH FOR A PS Or SS. Want to pay my entry fee and I will be there like I did for Chris Kenner LAST YEAR AT THIS RACE! But I didnt pass tech then!
NO ONE CALLED in 2006 from division 10! I went cruising with my family, which by the way, comes FIRST.
Lame.
Now, answer my question, were you there with your boat? Someone PM me who this France guy or gal is before he really gets me jErKin............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..

ss396
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
:) come to the AOF race in sept. at moses lake and set a record. there will be outboard hydros and v-drives there sorry jet flat bottoms no class for u guys yet. lets all show up and go for a record. the race water conditions are always great and in a protected bay. very nice pit area and room for rv's or tent people and plenty of motels also that are close by. no more whinng. why pay APBA fees that are out of sight when u can race AOF and get national points. use the saving to get to a race and race. and as always safty is number one. there are a few people who have spent a lot of time and effort to get circle boat racing going. last year we had lots of boats and when it first started a few years a go we had just enough to make two classes then this year because few people who had to bad mouth v-drive racing we have had numbers drop lets get them back up and go have some fun. if it had not been for v-drive boat racing and a few of the really great people i met at the races where i was a safety boat i am now a proud owner of a sanger v-drive. i am not ready yet to race the sanger this year to much to do in short time. the boat will be on the water but need to get all the safety gear before i can racin.

CircleJerk
07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Chris Kenner, where are you?
No worries mate! I just wanted you to say I was there with the orange boat. Am I arguing? or slugging? Not!!!, just presenting facts for those less fortunate or uninformed. MCFrance is OK, really. I think boat count is down all over, anyone care to confirm this?

FlatRat
07-26-2006, 02:36 AM
Well,
all I know is that two years ago I was invited to come and watch some Nostalgic cicle boat racing @ Banks Lake by the Jerk.We had a wonderful time.It was so much fun that after being a spectater for two seasons we decided to build something to run.We are just poor 'ol' Montana hillbillies.We haven't made this due to the boat not being ready.It's ready now so we will be @ Newport Aug.12-13th.No,we aren't after "points" we are after a great timing running the crap out of something we've put together ourselves and to see all of our new freinds,drink beer.....So we all should try to come together and make it work.... :idea:

CircleJerk
07-26-2006, 04:40 AM
Just a grease Monkey here, and Newport will be in two weeks and yes your jErKizoid himself will be taking on all comers with his Chevelle 396 smog motorpowered his or hers red SK87 LAVEYCRAFT, one of the original ONCB racers, and be smiling we have 7 to 8 flats putting on one heck of a show for a bunch of hillBillys. No offense Billy! The Montana boys are well liked for their down to dirt good nature and funnin but we really dont like their fast boats! Competition Nostalgia style at its best on a raging Pend Oreille River, should be exciting for both drivers, rescue crews and spectators! And, it's free to all spectators, right under the bridge is where we hang out, camping is 10 bucks!!!

kipperps28
07-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Sorry I have not been on the boards for a few days...missed all this fun. My heart's thumping a bit. McFrance, if you have such a problem with the boat count around here, get off your loudmouth ass and bring a (your) boat out. This type of mudslinging and badmouthing in a public forum is bull$. I am here to say that you have not been involved in this deal long enough to back up the crap that you are saying, and unless you are part of the solution, you are part of the F-ing problem. Don't give the nosty guys any crap- after all the hurdles and obstacles we have thrown at them, we shouold be honored that we see them at all. Moneypit (or anyone looking for race or boat count info) my cell # is 425-765-6758. Please call me anytime, and if we can be of help up here, we will do it.
Kip Brown

Chris Kenner - PS681
07-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Sorry I have not been on the boards for a few days...missed all this fun. My heart's thumping a bit. McFrance, if you have such a problem with the boat count around here, get off your loudmouth ass and bring a (your) boat out. This type of mudslinging and badmouthing in a public forum is bull$. I am here to say that you have not been involved in this deal long enough to back up the crap that you are saying, and unless you are part of the solution, you are part of the F-ing problem. Don't give the nosty guys any crap- after all the hurdles and obstacles we have thrown at them, we shouold be honored that we see them at all. Moneypit (or anyone looking for race or boat count info) my cell # is 425-765-6758. Please call me anytime, and if we can be of help up here, we will do it.
Kip Brown
Sorry I'm not there to give you back rubs at night anymore little buddy, I know when your heart rate goes up you need one!!! hehehe!!! :rollside: On a serious side I must agree with Kip in every word he says above, espeically on the crap talking side of things, it is not needed at all. Even more so when you take into consideration the whole world reads this forum. We ran 6 races in the great north west chasing APBA high points last year with the PS681 boat. It took some work on the phones & so on, but we had a class at every race we attended in WA state & I personally thank Kip, Jerk (even though you did not pass tech, you made an effort!!), Gibson & Codling, Lenny Baker, Charlie Marquard & anyone else I missed (sorry) for their huge efforts. They made every race to insure we had a good field of boats so we could achieve our goal of US1. :)

mcfrance
07-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Didn't intend on slinging any mud or bs, or directing comments to any particular person or group (as I did state). All I originally asked was where are the flatbottoms in Washington? I'm definitely a spectator, and what I saw this past weekend was sad. "Lame" was not the best word choice, I'll admit that, and I am sorry (too hot, too tired, and too little sleep leads to poor word choices). I'm also sorry for making anyone mad, and/or causing their hearts to thump. Having the PS681 out here last year was great because people came out and supported Chris' run for being #1. I miss that (and I might add what a dedicated and impressive run that was with all that traveling and work). According to the jErK, the nosty circuit is also suffering from lower boat counts this year. The jErK and I are on fine terms, and seek the same goal - more boats at all races. Whatever you guys do about racing, race or not, is up to you (and sometimes out of your hands). I just wish there were more flatbottoms racing that's all, and maybe all this might spur more people to come out.
Have a great Wednesday!

CircleJerk
07-26-2006, 03:16 PM
I would love to put this post to rest as Mr. France has NO ties to that country and doesnt even have a maid, so he should be given a break. Thanks to this post we have worked through any perceived conflict and he is on the same page as myself as far as poor boat count and blames no one in particular. He needs help with his boat and I referred him to some of those wonderful Jones folks over there (in blue land) and I volunteered what ever he needs since I too have a big interest in what that boat and its former owner means to all circle racing history. So, ya all, have a good weekend and try to make one of our last two races for 2006. I really think our racing family has more fun than those blue folks!
Still love ya Kip, Paul, Kelly, George, Dave, Al, Jim, Jerry, Lenny, Jeff, Jeff Jr, Eric and Mr and Mrs Jones (you were just great at Chelan), Chris, Mr.Price, Scott, Charley,Brian,& who'd I miss oh ya Rich? But, you really should come to Moses this year for some real fun! With or without a running boat! Set records, and rib me all next winter! Your already more than humble and relatively slow.... jErKiZiod