PDA

View Full Version : Tabs/cav plates

V-Driver
11-08-2002, 10:13 PM
Been lurking, and posting if I know something helpful (rare). Have a couple of questions about cav plates/trim tabs. I am building a 21' cruser and the bottom is a delta pad deal. It will be powered with a 740 HP bbc. Its never been wet so I have no starting point. The pad is about 14” wide at the transom and 13 degree dead rise. Do you think I can use big tabs and no tab where the pad is? How about the length of the tab/plate, is longer better? How much travel is the norm? I not looking to do 100 MPH, as I gather this goal is beyond my money. Any thoughts on this subject would be very cool. :D
Thanks
Andrew

boatguy222
11-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Andrew,
I have still got the Cav parts from my 20' Schiada project that might work for you. shot me an email, if your interested in this stuff.
As for your question I think you can rig it either way, the picture above is the "Super Speed Ski Racer set up" and you don't have to get that Fancy unless you want to.
But then again with 740hp you might be closer than you think to 100mph :D
Marc

VD CRUISER
11-10-2002, 05:02 AM
Andrew, What make hull do you have that has the pad on it ? I was at Schiada once and noticed that they would make the 21 with or without the pad. I was mostly interested in speed but never did get a clear understanding of which was the fastest. Cole boats have a pad also and Jim Cole told me they were extremely fast. However I have never seen anyone post on here that had a 20' or 22' Cole v-drive.

V-Driver
11-10-2002, 11:03 PM
Hey VDC, When I purchased the project I was told that it was a Wright design and that a guy named Paxton up hear in the northwest had the molds and that he molded the hull. I sent a pic of it in to Jim (V-Drive tech) and he confirmed that it was a Wright and that it was intended to be JET powered. :o :o As far as I can tell it is a very unusual deal, I have been searching thru all the pics I can find (net and other) and have found none like it. Dose that make it rare :cool: , or maybe an aardvark? :rolleyes: I don’t know. I like the look and the price was right, but how it will react to HP is yet to be determined. It appears to be stout enough, 4 stringers, 1 ½” thick at the keel and a bulkhead just in front of the dash. Might be very heavy, I don’t know. I posted a pic of it a while ago to see if any one had seen another like it, but to no avail. Anybody?
http://community.webshots.com/rs1/8/45/19/31884519ekibIWpLYq_ph.jpg
Thanks
Andrew :)