PDA

View Full Version : Happy with your Labbed Prop?

FASTERDAMITT
01-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Just wondering if the pepes that spent the $$ for labbing, would you do it again? Did it perform the way you wanted? What did you spend? Before and after comments only please. Not off the shelf jobs.

phebus
01-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I put a labbed 24p Bravo 1 on my 26' cat (deck boat) with a 496HO, that was running a 24p stock Bravo 1. Rpm with box stock prop during the summer heat was approx 4700 rpm, and with the labbed prop was approx 5000 (boat loaded and heavy).
Speed increase was approx 1-2 mph max, and planing time was slightly better.
In my opinion, unless you are running a high performance boat, where each and every mph matters, labbed props are not worth the extra money spent. You just spend extra for a more fragile prop, and end up beating no one anyway.

Ultrafied
01-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Put a labbed 24 on a 24' Ultra Stealth. Gained 2-3 on the GPS. Needed a spare prop anyway, so I bought a new Bravo I and had York Prop. tune it for me. Total spent, taxes, shipping, etc. $733. Would do it again if I lose it.

THOR
01-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Yes I am. Best money spent yet. Gained about 2-3 mph and about 300 rpm.

FASTERDAMITT
01-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Any other takers?

Sweet Addiction
01-10-2006, 06:39 PM
I will let you know when I get my prop done soon. 24p bravo 1 stock setup. Currently running 4700 RPM speedo shows 60, and my GPS is not working.

Supultlbich
01-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Put a labbed 24 on a 24' Ultra Stealth. Gained 2-3 on the GPS. Needed a spare prop anyway, so I bought a new Bravo I and had York Prop. tune it for me. Total spent, taxes, shipping, etc. $733. Would do it again if I lose it.
What were you running prior to the labbed prop?? Are you running a 496 or 496HO?? Just curious because we have an HO with a 24p labbed prop and are thinking that a 26 might get more top end.

Throttle
01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
i am runnin a 496 ho, had a 26 prop lab finished but have not really had a good chance to compare the differences... My boat was runnin great before the only reason I wanted it done was to get the rpm's in the right operatin ranges for optimum performance. it cost me around 3 bills... headed out tomorrow nite and i will be back from runnin it on saturday, i'll get back to ya.

phebus
01-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Should push that Cobra into the 60's if youy get it trimmed just right :D

Debbolas
01-10-2006, 08:39 PM
River Dave sold us a labbed prop and saved our summer (after we hit the VW at the bottom of the river beyond the Needles Bridge) :crossx:
It cut the shit out of Screams ankle
;)
I'm sure we go faster;)

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I gained almost 4 mph with my Mercury labbed 28P.......
CJG
:)

MACHINEHEAD
01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
My exp. has been that if you have a fairly stout motor that makes 700hp from
5000-5400 lets say, and your currently running 5100, labbing it wont do any thing but add rpm. Boat still runs 80 lets say, but now you have 3% more slip almost all the time. Your also beating your motor a little. Yes they almost always have a little better time to plane. However, if you have a motor that makes 700hp from 5000-5100, and your currently running 4900, this trade for slip may not offset the amount of horsepower gained from 4900 to 5100, your boat just may go faster because it is now it is in its proper opperating range. Labbed props slip. Every boat/engine combo that leaves my shop gets a full day at the lake, after engine dyno, with full instramentation and data logged. 2 out of 19 so far have left with labbed props. Box stock checked out by Bronson is the way I fly.

Throttle
01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Should push that Cobra into the 60's if youy get it trimmed just right :D
i was hoping for 45.... smartazzz

Ultrafied
01-10-2006, 10:50 PM
What were you running prior to the labbed prop?? Are you running a 496 or 496HO?? Just curious because we have an HO with a 24p labbed prop and are thinking that a 26 might get more top end.
I was running a 24 with the 496 Mag. Stayed with the 24 and had it tuned. John York is a great guy and gets my recommendation. Just make sure you know what your WOT rpms is, what your top speed is at WOT, and what you want (i.e. normally running with how many people, more out of the hole, more mid-range, more top end, etc.). Hope this helps.

dicudmore
01-10-2006, 11:00 PM
I was running a 24 with the 496 Mag. Stayed with the 24 and had it tuned. John York is a great guy and gets my recommendation. Just make sure you know what your WOT rpms is, what your top speed is at WOT, and what you want (i.e. normally running with how many people, more out of the hole, more mid-range, more top end, etc.). Hope this helps.
I second the York recommendation, based on past repair work...
am not currently running a labbed anything, as I am currently without boat :220v:

Kilrtoy
01-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I have labbed props and they cost to fix what most people pay for new bravo props.
and to be honest I do not notice any difference between
67MPH and 70MPH
77MPH and 80MPH
and so on.....

01-10-2006, 11:14 PM
I've run several props before and after the Whipple, and yes the labbed props always gave a few extra MPH, but there's more to it than that. Mid range acceleration was generally better and also they had less of a tendancy to cav, so even the steering was a little different. I run a labbed 29 (had my 30 cut down 'cuz it wouldn't quite pull it with my a$$ on board!) and I have a stock 28 as a spare, or when at Powell.
my .02
-----Rob

Ultrafied
01-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I have labbed props and they cost to fix what most people pay for new bravo props.
and to be honest I do not notice any difference between
67MPH and 70MPH
77MPH and 80MPH
and so on.....
It was noticeable on my GPS, Kilr ... :rollside: I wanted to hit the 70 mark and I did. Could I feel the sudden burst of acceleration after having the prop tuned? I don't think so. :D
But then again, I didn't expect to. I got what I wanted and for reasonably inexpensive price. JMHO .... :cool:

Supultlbich
01-11-2006, 07:19 AM
[QUOTE=Throttle]i am runnin a 496 ho, had a 26 prop lab finished but have not really had a good chance to compare the differences... My boat was runnin great before the only reason I wanted it done was to get the rpm's in the right operatin ranges for optimum performance. it cost me around 3 bills... headed out tomorrow nite and i will be back from runnin it on saturday, i'll get back to ya.[/QUO
Did you have your current prop machined or did you buy a new one?? If you have a spare 26 I know someone who would like to give it a spin!!!!!!! :)

FASTERDAMITT
01-15-2006, 09:51 PM
tt

Throttle
01-15-2006, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Throttle]i am runnin a 496 ho, had a 26 prop lab finished but have not really had a good chance to compare the differences... My boat was runnin great before the only reason I wanted it done was to get the rpm's in the right operatin ranges for optimum performance. it cost me around 3 bills... headed out tomorrow nite and i will be back from runnin it on saturday, i'll get back to ya.[/QUO
Did you have your current prop machined or did you buy a new one?? If you have a spare 26 I know someone who would like to give it a spin!!!!!!! :)
its always a secret... let me know when you want one, I'll try to hook ya up.

Throttle
01-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicudmore
based on this pic I'd have to say your prop selection is pretty damn close
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/2610100_2471.JPG
I had my prop lab finished, the rpm's are up with no change in the speed (gps matches). I hit the rev limiter now (where as never b4) and still have room in the throttle. This may benefit me more in the heat of summer, otherwise I will be going back to the prop I was runnin before.

BajaMike
01-15-2006, 10:12 PM
A good prop guy should be able to lab your prop to give you:
a: better hole shot, less bow rise, better acceleration
b: better mid-range, less cavitation in turns
c: higher RPMs, more speed
Not all of the above....tell him what you want, a labbed prop should always help performance over a factory prop(but not always more rpms/speed). :idea:
:rollside: :rollside:

Throttle
01-15-2006, 10:23 PM
i wanted the rpm's because as we know they drop off in the heat, i never had a problem meeting the speed range i wanted to be in, however i did not want to lug my engine. so i increased the rpm and hopefully in the summer i will have balanced everything just right (since I still have room in my throttle right now)

phebus
01-16-2006, 08:55 AM
The most logical reason for a labbed prop. Getting your rpm's to be optimal given the conditions you are boating in.

Throttle
01-16-2006, 08:57 AM
The most logical reason for a labbed prop. Getting your rpm's to be optimal given the conditions you are boating in.
mornin rick... u feelin better yet?