PDA

View Full Version : Hemi ?? For Kurtis500

DAVE94LIGHTNING
11-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Here are the #'s on my block and my heads. I just want to double check the #'s to see if I was correct that the block is a 331 hemi. I do not know what heads these are. The heads have the water passages on the outside, I thought the 331 heads did not have these water passages.
Block: c542-8-35274
Heads: N1 1556157-1
BTW..I removed the valve covers and I can see the 10 bolts holding the rocker assembly in place..but where are the head bolts? Stupid question I know but I just cant see them.
Thanks again for all the help so far.

DansBlown73Nordic
11-29-2002, 05:28 PM
That engine is a 1954 331 Hemi 235 Horsepower 4 Barrel. If I could post a link Id show you how to look it up yourself.
[ November 29, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Dans66Stevens ]

Oldsquirt
11-29-2002, 05:47 PM
DAVE94LIGHTNING:
BTW..I removed the valve covers and I can see the 10 bolts holding the rocker assembly in place..but where are the head bolts? Stupid question I know but I just cant see them....
Those are the head bolts :)

DAVE94LIGHTNING
11-29-2002, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. That's the first time Iv'e seen head bolts holding down the valvetrain stuff too. But I'm only 24 so I haven't seen that much anyhow. I guess that the heads cannot be pulled without keeping the rockers/springs/retainers intact then, they will all have to be take n off and then re-adjusted when the heads are put back on.
So much for simplicity.
Any ideas on what the heads are? Are they 331-354 or 392 heads. Thanks.

Kurtis500
12-01-2002, 11:05 AM
DAVE94LIGHTNING:
Here are the #'s on my block and my heads. I just want to double check the #'s to see if I was correct that the block is a 331 hemi. I do not know what heads these are. The heads have the water passages on the outside, I thought the 331 heads did not have these water passages.
Block: c542-8-35274
Heads: N1 1556157-1
BTW..I removed the valve covers and I can see the 10 bolts holding the rocker assembly in place..but where are the head bolts? Stupid question I know but I just cant see them.
Thanks again for all the help so far.Hello. Looks like the block is a 331. I cant find the head letter on my registry. I have some thorough paper docs at home, I will check them for you. The 331 didnt have water ports on the exterior of the head. However, with the 4 different hemi 'types' there could have been a weird one in there. A 354 head has the water passage area level with the surface of the head. There is an old 'thumb' test to determine a 392 head from a 354. If you can fit your thumb between the bottom of the water passage boss and the surface of the head its a 392. If there is no room between that boss and the head surface its a 354. Did you also say it was a solid lifter cam? If so you should have either adjustable pushrods or adjustable rockers. Hopefully the later. :D
The valvetrain and head assembly is by far the easiest to assemble and disassemble. If you can get head studs that will ease installation by far. Hopefully though you will not have to keep opening up the motor. If you got an extra $1500, I know where you can get a set of ALUMINUM Mastadon heads-complete- for the 392. they've been on nitro, but are good for everything else. However, if you are going to stay as a lake boat I would keep the heads you have. The 354 head and 331 heads are more desirable for blown apps than the 392. The ports are raised up. In fact, the aftermarket makers copy the 354 design and cast in the spacer to fit the 392 manifold. Thats how much better they are. If you have the 354 or 331 heads consider it better!

DAVE94LIGHTNING
12-03-2002, 07:45 PM
Here are some pics of the work in progress.
I have the heads off and i'm going to hot tank them after I remove the valve springs/ valves tomorrow. The pistons seem to be high compression versions because of the high center with deep valve reliefs. The pistons are coated with a thick layer of carbon buildup but otherwise seem in good shape. The combustion chambers also have a lot of carbon buildup but is seems normal for a motor of this era which probably has never had a rebuild. Anyhow, any ideas on how to clean and prep the heads? I have been using T.S.P (triple soduim phosphate) to degrease the chambers with steel wool and will use DAWN + hot water for the rest of the metal. Here are the pics.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p2c297417d1dd2b1c8969fdb1a1aa5d11/fcf94f53.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p1c0dba6d3e1decdae29a98abb0f12a23/fcf94eb1.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p718b1999e9add2fe39ec3856a5041753/fcf94eb0.jpg
Thanks for the help:)

Kurtis500
12-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Those look like 354 heads. Most hemi pistons came with relief cuts in the top. Are they cast pistons? The one weak item in the motor is the rods. The 392 rods are small and are universally changed out with almost any semi-high performance rebuild. However, naturally aspirated should be fine with the rods I would think. Funny thing about building up the early model, most guys that have experience have it in either stock rebuild combos or blown fuel/gas combos. The motor hasnt seen extensive use anywhere in between. This is the applications you'll find the majority of parts in too. Powerplay/Hot Heads, Chris Nielson Cams, Clay Smith cams (I use George), PAW are good places to get parts and info for medium performance build-ups.

DansBlown73Nordic
12-04-2002, 02:27 PM
Im also very interested in the early Hemi stuff. I have a 46 dodge 2 dr sedan Im planning on putting a early Hemi in.

DAVE94LIGHTNING
12-04-2002, 06:01 PM
Cool, I figured it was a 331 block with the better 354 heads on it. Good starting point for a moderate performance buildup. :)
I will post pics of the pistons tomorrow. For now i'm sand blasting the heads and intake to prep for paint or powdercoat depending on price.
Thanks for the help as usual. :)