PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question??!!

cordova
07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Just a question for all of us not lucky enough to have through hulls...I am sure you are aware of the rubber boot that connects the spent gases from the transom drive...well after removing the drive and taking several hours to reinstall the rubber tube,I raised the trim today (after about a MONTH of drying time for the sealant) and it popped off the transom :yuk: . my question is does that boot need to go back on? I mean that part of the drive is already submerged in water right?? Is this a problem that needs to be fixed, or is it only for sound control?

Nord
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
I..........................DUNNO!!!!
Stand by...................

Chubby4Life
07-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but wouldn't that allow water to enter the boat/engine??

mjc
07-24-2006, 07:46 PM
I have silent choice on my fountain and do not have the exhaust boot on the outdrive

BadKachina
07-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Alot of boats don't have that boot, some boots come new with holes in them along the bottom ridge. Your exhaust will be quieter on plane with the boot because it will be coming out through the prop and below the water line, instead of at the transom above the water line. At idle it shouldn't make a difference where it comes out, it will still be below the water line. I think that would be the biggest difference with it. You don't need it if you don't want it. It should have come with a hose clamp, the mounting area has ridge in it, the boot has a piece that slips in the ridge. With the ridge and hose clamp it shouldn't come off. You shouldn't need any sealant.

h2oski2fast
07-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Does not need to be there, the boat won't sink with out unless there are other problems.

cordova
07-24-2006, 08:51 PM
yeah I guessed that i wouldn't have sinking issues. It's an inline 6 merc and the intake manifold shares the exhaust manifold....some how??? anyways. where the exhaust comes up from the outdrive, it makes a 180 degree bend then goes down and bolts to the manifold. Thanks everybody for the helpful words...I definatly wont be putting that on again!