PDA

View Full Version : Air Intake Duramax

THE WIDGE
07-24-2006, 07:34 PM
I've got a 04 Duramax with the Banks Six Gun, Speed loader kit. I also have 4 inch exhaust; however I'm looking for an intake system. What is the best set up? I have the stock K&N replacement, and I was hoping I could get a little better performance with a new filter system. Would this help with turbo lag?
Thanks Matt

Jordy
07-24-2006, 08:06 PM
I put the FIPK on mine. It's the K&N intake tube and canister filter that replaces the stock airbox setup. Figure anything that you can do to help it get more air will help make more power. ;)

Run_em_Hard
07-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Stay away from K&N filters in a diesel...they are swesome for gas motors but a diesel flows too much air for them. Stick with a paper filter.

sigepmock
07-25-2006, 06:55 AM
I run the K&N intake kit also with no problems. Don't do just the drop in replacement.
The statement made above is not true, K&N takes into account the actual CFM of each motor and sizes the filter accordingly, they also run more plys on the diesel filters too. There is a lot of bad info out there reguarding the K&N's, don't believe everything you read on the diesel boards.....there are some individuals spreading false info.
That being said you're not going to see a huge inprovement in power, but it should work well with the other add-ons you have.
Chris

cactusgolfcarts
07-25-2006, 02:24 PM
A buddy of mine has the Banks ram-air and swears by it. Says it gets the "cool" air instead of the under-hood air.

BowTie Rick
07-26-2006, 02:47 PM
The only time you take in under the hood air is when you are stopped. Once you start moving, more outside air passes into the engine compartment to help with cooling than you think.

THE WIDGE
07-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Do any of you have an AFE (Advanced Flow Engineering) filter. I'm between that and a K&N filter. What do you perfer?
Thanks!

63stevens
07-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I have the AFE intake system on my 02 F350 7.3 along with 4" exhaust and banks 6 gun. this package seems to work awesome i have had no problems you just have to clean the filter more often than a stock system. Good Luck.

ultra27jay
07-26-2006, 05:17 PM
go with the afe. its just as good as the k/n. i sold a lot of them when i worked for off road unlimited.

soupersonic
07-26-2006, 05:19 PM
The k&N is rumored to let to much sediment in. I would go with the AFE.

BowTie Rick
07-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Key word, "rumored". No company, not even Fram, does the testing K&N does. Not to start bashing but AFE has synthetic media which is NOT cleanable 100%. Each service, it clogs more and more and flows less and less. Do you honestly think that with 37 years and 2.5 million filters sold per year that if there was a problem, K&N would not still be in business and growing? Go to SEMA this year and you will be shocked by what you see. Make a point to talk to one of the testing lab engineers too. If you ever have a couple hours to burn, come visit me and I will take you on a tour of the facility. AFE has NOTHING on us. :220v: :crossx: :mad:

sigepmock
07-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Key word, "rumored". No company, not even Fram, does the testing K&N does. Not to start bashing but AFE has synthetic media which is NOT cleanable 100%. Each service, it clogs more and more and flows less and less. Do you honestly think that with 37 years and 2.5 million filters sold per year that if there was a problem, K&N would not still be in business and growing? Go to SEMA this year and you will be shocked by what you see. Make a point to talk to one of the testing lab engineers too. If you ever have a couple hours to burn, come visit me and I will take you on a tour of the facility. AFE has NOTHING on us. :220v: :crossx: :mad:
I've been to both the AFE and the K&N facilty, K&N definately has their act together. More professional testing methods, a ton more R&D, and a they really do strive to be the best. Everytime I go to an offroad race I try and see what the racers are running and 9 out of 10 times they're running K&N's. I'm not kissing butt here but when I find a good product I believe in I back it. K&N is definately the way to go and they will stand behind their product 100%.
Good luck,
Chris

INSman
07-27-2006, 01:17 PM
I have the AFE Magnum Force stage 2 on my 2004 and it has worked flawlessly and seems to allow the turbo to spool up faster along with the chip and 4" exhaust.