PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with boat questions and pics of possible first boat

franco802
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Hello all, this place is awsome!!
I have been looking for my first boat and had a couple of questions first.
For starters, I found a boat I might buy. It's a 1986 Bayon 16 footer with a v6 Merc 150 with 3 carbs. I don't know much about these boats, so mabe you guys would definitely know more than me. Here is a link to the picks I have taken of the boat.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/code592115/detail?.dir=69afre2&.dnm=9a33re2.jpg
What do you guys think? He want's $2200.00 or best, I am going to offer him $1800.00.
I am mostly going to use this boat for cruising the bay and some light fishing once in a while. Also, I looked up Bayon on the internet and didn't find anything at all. Also, what do you guys think of the Merc 150 v6 with 3 carbs?
I have never worked on boats, but I was an auto technician for quite a while and still work on my own cars. I am pretty mechanically inclined but never worked on boats like I stated earlier.

boats&bars
07-24-2006, 10:26 PM
it looks like a winner , does it run, dont let the seller give you the old , dead battery line, hear it run on the hose that boat should haul ass with a merc 150, or also referred to as a black max, check the transom poke it with a screwdriver from the inside it should be solid, check the floors they need to be solid as well a good way to tell is if the interior is not firmly mounted it would be a good runner for 2 k if it infact runs, also thats got 6 carbs , expect to get it home and drain the fuel, lower unit , change plugs, and change the water pump before it goes out if not you are just asking for problems, expect to spend $500 before it sees water you will thank yourself later,

franco802
07-25-2006, 06:00 AM
it looks like a winner , does it run, dont let the seller give you the old , dead battery line, hear it run on the hose that boat should haul ass with a merc 150, or also referred to as a black max, check the transom poke it with a screwdriver from the inside it should be solid, check the floors they need to be solid as well a good way to tell is if the interior is not firmly mounted it would be a good runner for 2 k if it infact runs, also thats got 6 carbs , expect to get it home and drain the fuel, lower unit , change plugs, and change the water pump before it goes out if not you are just asking for problems, expect to spend $500 before it sees water you will thank yourself later,
Wow, now this is some excellent technical advise. I been looking for this advise everywhere! I have posted in quite a few boat forums and finally an answer I was looking for! Thank you.
I did poke the transom (inside and out). I lifted the engine to check the transom for flex. I poked the bottom of the boat but not the inside. The seller is on vacation, he told me I could go to his house anytime to check it out, take pics, etc...
The seller said it does run, runs excellent actually. He claims its only been on fresh water. He had a power steering system installed because it had a cable and he told me the boat was going sideways on take off, so he had a PS system installed.
He purchased a brand new marine battery, new trailer tires (including a new spare). The boat is all original and he has all records of maintenance. He is the second owner (first owner was his uncle). From the size of the boat and the engine I saw on it, it must really haul ass for what it is! What do you think top speed is on that thing?

Hardly Satisfied
07-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Welcome Aboard

MR HARLEY
07-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Welcome aboard!

Hotcobra270
07-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Looks good for that price.. Youre doing the right thing by getting an
older boat that you can learn from... my 1st boat was a 21 foot reinell
that I beat the crap out of at first..
just follow the above advise and you should be ok..
might want to look into replacing the interior in the future..
good luck

franco802
07-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Ok, found out more about this boat. Last Spetember '05 the guy had a new water pump installed, power steering kit and a full tune up and maintenance. The engine is a two stroke with three two barrel carbs. I might just pick it up today.
I am a do it yourselfer kind of guy and have rebuilt automobile engines and two stroke dirtbike engines. Hopefully this is kind of similar. Is the Merc 150 two stroke easy to work on?

RitcheyRch
07-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Welcome aboard.

franco802
07-30-2006, 01:33 PM
I purchased the boat!!!! Got him down to $1900.00!! He started the boat up and it sounded very healthy. He showed me receipts for everything. Looks like he spent 2k on new power steering, new throttle cable/handle, tune up and some other minor thingys. I think I got a good deal! Also, its registered until December '07!! I am picking it up this Tuesday!! I can't wait!!
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43afe950za3581d60/69afre2/__sr_/c42fre2.jpg?phoySzEBrgGrbLmf