PDA

View Full Version : Kobe haters --->

dmontzsta
01-10-2006, 12:18 AM
He is now the first player since 1964 to score 4 consecutive 40+ point games. I was at the game tonight and I can say this team has ALOT of potential. Michael Jordan what? :)
On another note my son was selected to stand by the tunnel and high five the players as they entered, but he chickened out. He also chickened out on getting their autographs as they went in and out of the tunnel. We were right there and he wouldnt do it...kids... :(

Chubby4Life
01-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Good for Kobe. As a so cal native it drives me nuts up here to only hear about the "Queens" all the freaking time. I am a Die hard Laker fan behind enemy lines.
Chris

Flying Tiger
01-10-2006, 03:54 AM
What was he recently suspended for?

JetBoatRich
01-10-2006, 04:39 AM
:rolleyes: Kobe does alright :rolleyes:

Old Texan
01-10-2006, 05:25 AM
Got a question for "true" Laker fans. If you could choose between Kobe and Magic, who would it be?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Both adulterers. Let's celebrate them. :rolleyes:

totenhosen
01-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Both adulterers. Let's celebrate them. :rolleyes:
What do I care? That is between them and their wives.

JetBoatRich
01-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Got a question for "true" Laker fans. If you could choose between Kobe and Magic, who would it be?
Magic was more of a team player :cool:

MagicMtnDan
01-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Who cares how many points he scores?! Why does that really matter?!
Mark my words: No team with Kobe on it will ever win a championship with Kobe as its gunner. Kobe couldn't spell team if he was on Wheel of Fortune. :mad:

MayDaze
01-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Mark my words: No team with Kobe on it will ever win a championship with Kobe as its gunner. Kobe couldn't spell team if he was on Wheel of Fortune. :mad:
Kobe's string of 45-point games equals Wilt's '64 streak
You keep saying no team with Kobe on it will ever win a championship... Doesn't Kobe have a few rings already? How about Shaq won't win another championship without Kobe...

dmontzsta
01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Good point MayDaze.
Also, you might be right MgcMtnDan, but it is not because of Kobe. It actually takes a "TEAM" to win a championship. Look at the greats like Reggie Miller (who was at the game last night, sitting in front of me :) ) and Karl Malone they were great players, but never had a great "TEAM".

a catered life
01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
being a laker fan since 84 magic hands down no comparision and anyone who says different :yuk:
as for kobe's streak it awesome but no team has won a ring with one great player it takes 1 star and 6-7 role players and all of the role players must be great at what they do either its 3 pointers, rebounding, defense, able to penetrate, or whatever the only problem i have with kobe is his unwillings to be a leader meaning he has got to make those guys better and thats why he will not reach the success of a MJ i also have a problem with managemnt they need to get better players to surround him he needs a real center not a pf playing the center position and a real point guard with experience

dmontzsta
01-10-2006, 08:31 AM
being a laker fan since 84 magic hands down no comparision and anyone who says different :yuk:
as for kobe's streak it awesome but no team has won a ring with one great player it takes 1 star and 6-7 role players and all of the role players must be great at what they do either its 3 pointers, rebounding, defense, able to penetrate, or whatever the only problem i have with kobe is his unwillings to be a leader meaning he has got to make those guys better and thats why he will not reach the success of a MJ i also have a problem with managemnt they need to get better players to surround him he needs a real center not a pf playing the center position and a real point guard with experience
Actually. If you go to the games, you see alot more than what you see on TV. I saw a Kobe Bryant that was passionate and trying to help his team. He was constantly pulling them to the side and talking to them. In the huddle, he was trying to talk to them all, if the coach wasnt talking. This is a guy who has been criticized for being "too hard" on his teammates.

Cole Trickle
01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Comparing Magic and Kobe is retarded.
Magic wouldn't be the same player in todays league.He had amazing ball handling/passing ability and his court vision was second to none. Problem is he wasn't the most athletic player to ever lace up. Not to mention he was huge for a guard when he entered the league.
I think Lebron James is todays version of Magic but with much much more athletic ability.(One on one against Kobe or Lebron and Magic would get destroyed)

tcook33
01-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Just curious why you hate on Kobe so much.....He's an unbelievably good player. You ever think that he doesn't pass the ball as much as say....Jordan, because he doesn't have teammates like Jordan did? I say that makes him even better. He is utilizing his resourses to the maximum and picking up the slack where it lacks. He used Shaq when Shaq was here and they won championships.
If he had 4 players on the floor with him that were of quality championship material, he would use it to his advantage.....guaranteed. It would be which year are they going to NOT win a championship.....

a catered life
01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Actually. If you go to the games, you see alot more than what you see on TV. I saw a Kobe Bryant that was passionate and trying to help his team. He was constantly pulling them to the side and talking to them. In the huddle, he was trying to talk to them all, if the coach wasnt talking. This is a guy who has been criticized for being "too hard" on his teammates.
well i really haven't gone to a game since shaq left not for that reason we just got busy and live a lot father away from the staples center now pasadena was close palmdale is not but i must say i havent seen him in action in person maybe once or twice and maybe he had taken on a new role since shaq left that i havent seen but from what i have seen he is passionate i agreed with you but i think the need to win a championship is the driving point for him more than developing a team but your point is well taken

460 jus getn it
01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
He is now the first player since 1964 to score 4 consecutive 40+ point games. I was at the game tonight and I can say this team has ALOT of potential. Michael Jordan what? :)
On another note my son was selected to stand by the tunnel and high five the players as they entered, but he chickened out. He also chickened out on getting their autographs as they went in and out of the tunnel. We were right there and he wouldnt do it...kids... :(
thats cause he dont have a team behind him...............the lakers are not the team they used to be.............face it they are all done.....................

al cole'holic
01-10-2006, 09:00 AM
..if they didn't play 6th grade basketball in the 3rd I would have hit my goddamn parlay :mad:

a catered life
01-10-2006, 09:10 AM
thats cause he dont have a team behind him...............the lakers are not the team they used to be.............face it they are all done.....................
never done just rebuilding kinda like most guys who blow their engines in a race out for that one but coming back

Jyruiz
01-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Kobe just needs better players around him, things don't happen over night. Remeber, they have the second youngest active roster in the league, to even be where they are at, is pretty good. Lamar also needs to be more consistent as the second scorer, once Lamar accomplishes that, the Lakers will be even better. Also, Lakers plans are to be below the cap for 07 for when some better players will be available, so don't expect much to change till then.

tcook33
01-10-2006, 09:24 AM
..if they didn't play 6th grade basketball in the 3rd I would have hit my goddamn parlay :mad:
Gambling is the devil....

al cole'holic
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Gambling is the devil....
..so are women after they have kids :D

MayDaze
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
It just isn't the same talking about the Lake Show with DILLIGAF not here to give his Lakers Love!! :rollside: :rollside:

dmontzsta
01-10-2006, 09:47 AM
It just isn't the same talking about the Lake Show with DILLIGAF not here to give his Lakers Love!! :rollside: :rollside:
werd, or SWB chiming in. Dont worry though I am sure they are watching this. They are just upset cause the Lakers are about to pass the clippers.
:)

Ducatista
01-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Tough question, probably not a fair question, because Kobe is only half way through his career, provided he stays healthy. History will prove him to be one of the best ever at his position, I believe. People forget he is only 26, and has to grow up in the media spot light with all your mistakes on the front page. The average person doesn't have to deal with that. He is maturing as a person, learning from life's lessons, just like most of us do. He is, and has been, the premier player at his position, and has won 3 rings. He work ethic is top notch, he is everything & more that West traded for, out of high school. Magic played point guard, so fortunatly they both would probably make my all time Laker team. :rollside:

Ducatista
01-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Dan, it really does matter who scores how much in a game, the object in basketball is to out score the other team. A team, the Lakers, have already won 3 championships with Kobe as their gunner. Don't believe what you read in the media about Kobe, it's mostly B.S. Fate would have him take the blame for the breakup of the Lakers, that doesn't mean he is not a team player, he is. :argue:

tcook33
01-10-2006, 10:14 AM
..so are women after they have kids :D
You just need to train em right from the get go.......

KineticoH20
01-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Dan, it really does matter who scores how much in a game, the object in basketball is to out score the other team. A team, the Lakers, have already won 3 championships with Kobe as their gunner. Don't believe what you read in the media about Kobe, it's mostly B.S. Fate would have him take the blame for the breakup of the Lakers, that doesn't mean he is not a team player, he is. :argue:
Yea and isn't he responsable for the Beatles break up also :idea:

Jyruiz
01-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't blame Kobe for the Lakers breakup, I think Dr. Buss made the decision to go with youth and the harder working player. Shaq is getting older and is lazy, always having some phamtom injury so he would not have to practice. Shaq wanted a contract extension that would have crippled the Lakers, Shaq wanted to get paid for what he did for the Lakers (which he didn't do alone) but as I recall, he got paid those years. You can tell he is on the decline and wont be getting much better, but Kobe will, Kobe is never satisfied. If Shaq had the same work ethic, he would still be here.

dmontzsta
01-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't blame Kobe for the Lakers breakup, I think Dr. Buss made the decision to go with youth and the harder working player. Shaq is getting older and is lazy, always having some phamtom injury so he would not have to practice. Shaq wanted a contract extension that would have crippled the Lakers, Shaq wanted to get paid for what he did for the Lakers (which he didn't do alone) but as I recall, he got paid those years. You can tell he is on the decline and wont be getting much better, but Kobe will, Kobe is never satisfied. If Shaq had the same work ethic, he would still be here.
Could you imagine the decline we would be going through? geez. Losing Kobe and having Shaq, he already missed about 20+ games this season. We would be in sad, sad shape. Atleast the Lakers are winning, cause Kobe is doing everything he can to keep from losing.

Jyruiz
01-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Could you imagine the decline we would be going through? geez. Losing Kobe and having Shaq, he already missed about 20+ games this season. We would be in sad, sad shape. Atleast the Lakers are winning, cause Kobe is doing everything he can to keep from losing.
Yes I can, Shaq use to be able to get you to the playoffs when he was younger, no matter what, he would be in the playoffs, but that time has come and gone. He is not the same Shaq and he needs more help now than he ever did. I don't think the Lakers would be doing much better with him, so why pay some guy 30 something Million to get you to the playoffs as a 6,7, or 8 seed.

dmontzsta
01-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Yes I can, Shaq use to be able to get you to the playoffs when he was younger, no matter what, he would be in the playoffs, but that time has come and gone. He is not the same Shaq and he needs more help now than he ever did. I don't think the Lakers would be doing much better with him, so why pay some guy 30 something Million to get you to the playoffs as a 6,7, or 8 seed.
I agree. Also, only for 3 years MAX? cause I think that is when he will retire. Then we are out two big stars. Atleast right now, Kobe is locked in til the end.

Old Texan
01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Comparing Magic and Kobe is retarded.
Magic wouldn't be the same player in todays league.He had amazing ball handling/passing ability and his court vision was second to none. Problem is he wasn't the most athletic player to ever lace up. Not to mention he was huge for a guard when he entered the league.
I think Lebron James is todays version of Magic but with much much more athletic ability.(One on one against Kobe or Lebron and Magic would get destroyed)
I figured to get one of these replies about how today's current stars would run circles around the past.
Magic was physically capable of playing in any era as a 6'-9" / 235 point guard, or any position he was needed. Proved it in an NBA final with Kareem hurt.
Maybe you are just to youngto remember but saying Magic wasn't athletic is the retarded statement. Or do you have to dunk every third time down the court to be considered athletic? Magic did just about what he wanted against anyone. Magic did what was required to win.
I have no problem with Kobe, I just wondered what the Laker fans think of their team's heritage. Question could have been Shag or Kareem. I bet more people would pick Kareem over anyone. He played and won championships with Magic in LA and Oscar Robertson in Milwaukee joining 2 eras in the NBA.
This has always been something I get a kick out of hearing how the new supposedly bigger and better athletes would destroy the old guys, even in their prime.
I'm sorry you couldn't have seen Elvin Hayes and players that could have been elite in any era to date.
Oh yeah, couple old guys named West and Baylor carried the Lakers w/o a star center until Wilt came to town. I saw that group play in Detroit a couple times and trust me, they could win today.

Jyruiz
01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I figured to get one of these replies about how today's current stars would run circles around the past.
Magic was physically capable of playing in any era as a 6'-9" / 235 point guard, or any position he was needed. Proved it in an NBA final with Kareem hurt.
Maybe you are just to youngto remember but saying Magic wasn't athletic is the retarded statement. Or do you have to dunk every third time down the court to be considered athletic? Magic did just about what he wanted against anyone. Magic did what was required to win.
I have no problem with Kobe, I just wondered what the Laker fans think of their team's heritage. Question could have been Shag or Kareem. I bet more people would pick Kareem over anyone. He played and won championships with Magic in LA and Oscar Robertson in Milwaukee joining 2 eras in the NBA.
This has always been something I get a kick out of hearing how the new supposedly bigger and better athletes would destroy the old guys, even in their prime.
I'm sorry you couldn't have seen Elvin Hayes and players that could have been elite in any era to date.
Oh yeah, couple old guys named West and Baylor carried the Lakers w/o a star center until Wilt came to town. I saw that group play in Detroit a couple times and trust me, they could win today.
I don't get into these debates because there is a lot of people who did not watch BB in the 70's and 80's (I started in the late 70's) and they don't know how to really compare. You really can't compare, I think todays players have it easier, you see it in the all traveling and carrying they do, the league is water down with all the teams they added. If you were to comprise a team from 80's players and one with todays players, I think the 80's players would beat the heck out them. Besides better fundamentals in the 80's, players also played a lot more team ball, now a days, everybody is trying to hard to be the star and is only looking out for themselfs. The Jordan era brought this out because every kid watching wanted to be like him and be on sportscenter. Todays players are lacking the midrange game that was so crucial in the past decades, all they want to do now is make 3's or dunk so they can get on a highlight reel. Look at all the PF's that shoot 3's now, there are very little PF that can play with there back to the basket, same goes for centers, no real true centers anymore. Times have change in the game of BB, and not for the better unfortunately, we just have to make do with what we are watching now, and for those of us who have been watching for a long time, it is not the same.

Old Texan
01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I don't get into these debates because there is a lot of people who did not watch BB in the 70's and 80's (I started in the late 70's) and they don't know how to really compare. You really can't compare, I think todays players have it easier, you see it in the all traveling and carrying they do, the league is water down with all the teams they added. If you were to comprise a team from 80's players and one with todays players, I think the 80's players would beat the heck out them. Besides better fundamentals in the 80's, players also played a lot more team ball, now a days, everybody is trying to hard to be the star and is only looking out for themselfs. The Jordan era brought this out because every kid watching wanted to be like him and be on sportscenter. Todays players are lacking the midrange game that was so crucial in the past decades, all they want to do now is make 3's or dunk so they can get on a highlight reel. Look at all the PF's that shoot 3's now, there are very little PF that can play with there back to the basket, same goes for centers, no real true centers anymore. Times have change in the game of BB, and not for the better unfortunately, we just have to make do with what we are watching now, and for those of us who have been watching for a long time, it is not the same.
Right on. My views exactly. I refereed High School from 1990 - 2000. What amazed me was how the NBA effected the HS game. Kids were mixing it up and pushing in the paint and couldn't understand why fouls were called. When we had the pleasure to call a game where real coaches taught real skills it was amazing to watch. Called a game between 2 top teams in District that had 3 losses between them in 20+ games. 6 team fouls total first half, 15 for the game. And the score was like 85-81.
Another thing that has ruined the gamed is the dribble. I can't count the times when some hotshot was mid way behind the back or thru the legs and his open man had broken for the basket wide open and he couldn't react in time with a pass. They now use the dribble to break a press. We'd do it with 2-3 passes and score. Basketball was much more a running game 20 yrs. ago.
Fundamental basketball is only played by the winning programs at HS level.
Fundamentals= Crisp passing, tough D, box out, hit the glass, pick and role, back door, and face up mid range jumpers off the screens.
Look at the Pistons since Flip Saunders opened up the offense and went away from post em up isolation play. Nuff said.....
Sadly we appear to be in the minority in our perceptions J.

dmontzsta
01-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I was watching a Lakers game, when they were interviewing Kareem Abdul-Jabar. They asked him "why dont any of the players use the hook" he said "they grew up watching Michael Jordan, wanting to slam it down and shoot it" basically he was saying they try to be fancy. Kareem even said the hook is simple fundementals and it works. It worked well for him, for many years. Some things are just too easy I guess.

Old Texan
01-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I was watching a Lakers game, when they were interviewing Kareem Abdul-Jabar. They asked him "why dont any of the players use the hook" he said "they grew up watching Michael Jordan, wanting to slam it down and shoot it" basically he was saying they try to be fancy. Kareem even said the hook is simple fundementals and it works. It worked well for him, for many years. Some things are just too easy I guess.
Kareem's "Skyhook" was probably the most unstoppable, graceful shot in the history of the game.
Shaq was/is a shoulder drop, a travel, and an elephant like lunge to the hoop. All right after a 5 sec post up in the paint.