PDA

View Full Version : Ilmors big chance......

NashvilleBound
07-25-2006, 06:35 AM
We'll here we go again with more issues...... Last weekend while out in Knoxville I blew my drive. Yes, the Teague Platinum one that was 2" too low from Magic. I have had SEVERAL issues with my Ilmor including one blown motor, 5 ECM's and such. The motor was idling at 2000 and when i had to go in and out of gear it was banging pretty hard. Anyways, if I had to guess I would say that could have possibly contributed to the drive failure. So I have asked Ilmor to step up and trade my whole package in on their new motor/drive that is coming out. I think they should swap it out even for all the problems I have had to deal with......I think I have been a pretty good sport. And I give them good Customer Service for sure! TBH: Realistically, my business side was figuring they would ask me for $10-15k difference.....but my first number was $83k and some change...... I guess welll see what happens today. Hate to think I am going to have to throw a Internet Stink Fit......

DCBDaytona
07-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Good Luck. Sorry to hear about your misfortune...We'll see if Ilmor steps up.

Starloans
07-25-2006, 07:45 AM
NB sorry to hear about the Ilmor and drive. I've heard a lot of good things about that engine but I was afraid to touch it being so new, bugs, service access, etc. when I was having my beater built. I'm sure Ilmor will make it right since they want to ensure future sales. As you know I went with the trusty HP525. I think I have one of the slowest DCB's on the water. At poker runs or regatta's, I'm always the last one to arrive.......but I always arrive. :D Sorry....didn't mean to rub it in. :cry: Wait a minute...I've never been in a poker run....anyway it goes 80 mph and that's fast enough for this old man. You have a nice boat. I hope you get it back on the water soon.
I have to say I'm suprised to hear you were shifting gears at 2K rpm. I'm no marine tech but I'd say that had A LOT to do with grenadeing your drive. I'm not sure you should tell the mfg about that if you want them to replace it. Maybe they don't read ***boat threads either. :rollside: But.....you know what they say........everytime you hear a noise in a boat, it's another $1,000. :rollside: And you got the MONEY!!!! :D I wish I had your money! Good Luck!

HocusPocus
07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
sounds like its time to start from scratch with a new boat. i remember all the trouble you had with Magic when you bought it. good luck i hope it all works out and you get back on the water soon.

RiverOtter
07-25-2006, 01:51 PM
You could always go with the 350 Mag with a BIII set up :idea:

Kilrtoy
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Sounds like it might be a set up issue and also shifting at 2K is not good for any drive regards of what it is....

Racer277
07-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I have to say I'm suprised to hear you were shifting gears at 2K rpm. I'm no marine tech but I'd say that had A LOT to do with grenadeing your drive. I'm not sure you should tell the mfg about that if you want them to replace it.
I could be wrong, but:
The way I read it, he's asking Ilmore to step up on his drive, because the high engine idle caused the drive failure.
If the idle won't come down (ECU, intake leak, etc) what else can you do?
You gotta shift.
That's how I read it anyway...

Nord
07-25-2006, 03:32 PM
This is why some guys start there boat in gear!!!! 200k RPMs is really high, if the outdrive can't take it, then they should tell you to shift with the boat off!!! I've seen it done a lot with the big engines.......

NashvilleBound
07-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Exactly. I didnt throttle up to shift trust me. All of the ECM's went bad causing the high rpm. Ilmor as of today does not want to sell me a 750 I guess as they still wanted as much as I paid for it all over again for the switch. BUT...they are taking care of the drive for me. Ian said he will get it replaced....along with ANOTHER ECM. Love the setup....just dont want to have to worry about things breaking.

FullUp
07-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I think he's asking for an upgrade from what ever he has to Ilmor 680's /700's (they haven't been named yet). Pretty tall request to any manufacturer unless they were discontinued. They certainly should make good on the warranty on your existing engines. These have been bitchen engines for the most part. It's nice to have an alternative to the Blue stuff. Good luck either way.

OutCole'd
07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Glad to hear they are stepping up & taking care of the drive for you. I hope they have the ECM figured out by now. This has got to be getting real old!

Phat Matt
07-25-2006, 03:44 PM
This is why some guys start there boat in gear!!!! 200k RPMs is really high, if the outdrive can't take it, then they should tell you to shift with the boat off!!! I've seen it done a lot with the big engines.......
How do you start your boat in gear? Both of mine won't turn over at all if you aren't in neutral. :confused:

Insurance God
07-25-2006, 03:47 PM
If you want, you can buy my jet boat... It shifts from reverse to forward @ 2K RPM without any problem. :>

me4drvr
07-25-2006, 03:48 PM
I have fallen victim to the bad valve spring lot, but the boat went right into Absolute and was fixed within a week. They did say that one side drop a little over an 1" and needed realigining... all this at 22 hours. Just curious NB does yours Idle at about 800-900 when it does run right?? The springs are the only problem to date, otherwise it runs like a bat outta-hell.
Good luck... I hear the new 700HP and IMCO setup is gonna be saaweeeet

ChumpChange
07-25-2006, 03:48 PM
How do you start your boat in gear? Both of mine won't turn over at all if you aren't in neutral. :confused:
Ditto for everything except I only have one boat that won't turn over if not in nuetral.

Phat Matt
07-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Ditto for everything except I only have one boat that won't turn over if not in nuetral.
Well then that makes 3 of them. :)
And jets don't count. :)

NashvilleBound
07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I slide it off the trailer really fast and bump start it...... :rolleyes:

NashvilleBound
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
I have fallen victim to the bad valve spring lot, but the boat went right into Absolute and was fixed within a week. They did say that one side drop a little over an 1" and needed realigining... all this at 22 hours. Just curious NB does yours Idle at about 800-900 when it does run right?? The springs are the only problem to date, otherwise it runs like a bat outta-hell.
Good luck... I hear the new 700HP and IMCO setup is gonna be saaweeeet
That is what I WAS trying to get into.....volunteered $20k difference. They did not want to take it. I understand, which could be totally wrong, the new motor is 750 with its own matching drive. Teague did say he would not stand behind it as its 'outta warrenty'. Thankfully Ilmor is stepping up.

02HoWaRd26
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
But ya they are going to replace the ECM who cares they need to replace what ever keeps blowing the ECM obviously there is alot more of an issue if this is going to be your 4th-5th ECM... but it is real nice that they are doing something with your drive...

blown dough
07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
The guys at Ilmore are actually very good guys and have taken care of us.

DeeCandyBar
07-25-2006, 04:37 PM
sounds like its time for you to go pontoon :rollside:

havaduner
07-25-2006, 06:50 PM
On your shifter (s) is a safety switch to make sure the drives are in nuetral before being able to be started. You can bypass the switch, engine will start in gear. Had one go bad years ago, boat wouldnt start at all, till we did the bypass trick.

No Name
07-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Excellent point, and like Havaduner said all you need to do is twist the wires together on the neutral safety switch.

NashvilleBound
07-25-2006, 08:10 PM
You might try following it up with a conniption.
I would but Ilmor has been SO good with customer service that it would not be fair. As much as "I" think they should have swapped out my motor and upgraded me......it was a reach. I will be happy with the new drive. Solving a issue that was already a BIG problem. It was 2" too low to start(X demension)...... thats why I never could reach above 80mph......

Beer-30
07-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I gotta agree with Havaduner. It would be time to pull the shifter panel and bypass the neutral safety switch. Then just shut it off and start it in gear to get you through the day. Would have saved the drive.

NashvilleBound
07-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I gotta agree with Havaduner. It would be time to pull the shifter panel and bypass the neutral safety switch. Then just shut it off and start it in gear to get you through the day. Would have saved the drive.
I tried turning off motor to reset...worked some of the time....but you have to get it into the dock..... then onto the trailer...... just those few times....shoot, we go out sometimes 4 times a week......it adds up

Beer-30
07-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Ah. I was thinking it was an isolated event. I didn't know you were still trying to use the boat for days after it started acting up. Either way, it shouldn't have happened. I am sure they will take care of it.

NashvilleBound
07-25-2006, 09:14 PM
I have replaced 4 so far and the 5th is on the way..... As soon as it acts up I call and the overnight a new one.... like I said.... it still adds up. I am SO not going to interupt my plans over that....they need to get it fixed for good!

plaster dave
07-26-2006, 12:30 AM
I have replaced 4 so far and the 5th is on the way..... As soon as it acts up I call and the overnight a new one.... like I said.... it still adds up. I am SO not going to interupt my plans over that....they need to get it fixed for good!
Tell them to send an extra one so you can change it on the water when it goes bad.