PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust and velvet drive

78hallett-ss
07-25-2006, 09:11 AM
In the process of pulling my motor on my hallett. cam went flat at havasu last weekent :cry: does anywone know an average performance increase from hardin logs 2 7/8 to a dana marine manifold 4".
Also i have never pulled the motor so if you have any pointers on seperating the velvet in the boat or do i have to pull the whole mess together?

Itsahobby
07-25-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't know about the dana exhaust, but I went from hardens to IMCOs just because the damn logs don't give much room for a socket! As far as power, it would be hard for me to say since I went with a rebuild.
As far as the velvet drive, I leave it in and pull the motor. It shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you can move the motor back to clear the spline.
Hobby

78hallett-ss
07-25-2006, 04:39 PM
cool. what do you use to hold the velvet up when you pull the motor? piece of wood?

Itsahobby
07-26-2006, 06:00 AM
You know, I don't remember, age I guess. I will look tonight, but I think my velvet drive bell housing mounts to the stringers.
cool. what do you use to hold the velvet up when you pull the motor? piece of wood?

Itsahobby
07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Sorry it took so long to reply, my bell housing doesmount to the stringers, so I unbolted the bell housing and front mounts, then lifted the motor out.
I don't see why you couldn't just brace the tranny with blocks of wood.
You know, I don't remember, age I guess. I will look tonight, but I think my velvet drive bell housing mounts to the stringers.

78hallett-ss
07-31-2006, 11:09 AM
ya i figured it out. 4x6 under it and a ratchet strap to my seat is all good. i think i will have it checked while it is out. do you know anyone? my trans guy does not want to do it.

Itsahobby
07-31-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't think there is anything special about the tranny. You may try Velvet Drive, themselves, and see if they can point you to a shop that does service.
There are Two dealers in California,
Boatswain's Locker, Costa Mesa Phone: 800-779-2676
Sea Power Marine, Oakland: 510-533-9210.
I imagine these dealers mainly support the bigger trannys, but you may give them a try.
Also, you might want to call Wilkes Marine. Depending where you are located.
Hobby
ya i figured it out. 4x6 under it and a ratchet strap to my seat is all good. i think i will have it checked while it is out. do you know anyone? my trans guy does not want to do it.