PDA

View Full Version : BMW X5.... Any problems

bigblockbill
07-25-2006, 11:00 AM
I am thinking about trading in the wifes 02 V8 explorer for a 2-3 year old BMW X5 SUV likely with the 4.4 V8 motor. It seems like they are reliable and good, but I don't know anyone who has one. Any feedback would be appreciated.

onesloryd
07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
The computer has a couple of small issues, other than that my wife really likes her 04 4.4.

h2oski2fast
07-25-2006, 11:35 AM
PM Ziggy, he is the BMW master.

Ziggy
07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Overall they have been very reliable units.............but like anything else there is always a chance a glitch can pop up.
If you do go with used do find one that has been Certified by a dealer for the added assurance of the long warranty extension.
Rated towing capacity is 5k for the 3 liter and 6k for the 4.4, if that is of any concern to you.....

beaverretriever
07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
I had one as a company car for 2 yrs. It was the second yr for them (2001). The one that I had was that ugly light green with the 3.0 litre 6. I would have liked the V8 much more. It drove ok. I dont think its worth the money. My wife and I have owned a few SUVs and it was probably our least favorite.
Good luck.

AZJD
07-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Make sure you get the big motor, amd wheel package....the little six is terrible!

bigblockbill
07-25-2006, 01:42 PM
All good advice...Thanks... I was thinking that certified thing with the dealer was probably a good deal but will cost slightly more then buying from an individual.
Here is the dilemma. There is a really clean loaded '03 4.4 with 44k miles here locally at the dealer that could be had at retail with the certification warranty. There are also some equivalent ones on ebay that are approx 5K cheaper however I don't know anything about them, won't have the certification, and I would have to go get them.
I am almost leaning towards the local one here... but at 5k cheaper it is quite a savings.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
See what Ziggy can do on a new one.
I'd bet he'll come pretty close in price.
Remember the big wheels, and the excellent V8.

Insurance God
07-26-2006, 05:30 AM
I don't know if Ziggy sells extended warranty's, but if he doesn't I can help you out with one that has a $50 deductible. The cost would probably be around $1,500 +/-. I know it is cheaper than you can find on the internet & it is a very comprehensive policy.
The key is to have a car that has at least one month & 1K miles left under the manufactures warranty. If the vehicle is not under the current manufactures warranty, then the policy starts to be more expensive and not cover as much.
Please talk to Ziggy first & if he cannot help you, I will try.

yamamoto
07-26-2006, 06:00 AM
Good cars, however, I have a friend trying to lemon law one now due to something called transmission slam. When she is at a complete stop, then presses the gas, the car does an extremely abrupt launch. Possibly search for it on the bimmer web sites to see if this is common, I am not sure.

DeeCandyBar
07-26-2006, 06:24 AM
never buy a used German car without a warranty - ever

Lightning
07-26-2006, 07:08 AM
The inlaws have one and have no complaints. That being said, depending on the price you are paying you may want to look at some new SUV's. There are a lot of good deals right now, 0% financing, and SUV sales are SLOW..... It may cost you the same or less for a new SUV. Just bought my wife a 2006 GMC Envoy Denali w/ Nav and 4wd - she loves it.

bltaspd
07-26-2006, 07:16 AM
My wife has one as a company car.It does the tranny slam too,good car 4.4 motor but that little turd is tough on gas(if we had to pay for gas.have to return it in may of 2007.We ars going back to a new Escalade,403 ponys.

whiteworks
07-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I bought one about a year ago and have no complaints. it is a tight little ride and handles like a car. my fiance is the one that drives it daily. it was between the x5 and the ml500. a freind of mine has the ml500 and it is pretty sweet as well. both cars clean up well with 20's. the x5 rides like a bimmer and the ml rides like a benz

BajaMike
07-26-2006, 09:38 AM
All good advice...Thanks... I was thinking that certified thing with the dealer was probably a good deal but will cost slightly more then buying from an individual.
Here is the dilemma. There is a really clean loaded '03 4.4 with 44k miles here locally at the dealer that could be had at retail with the certification warranty. There are also some equivalent ones on ebay that are approx 5K cheaper however I don't know anything about them, won't have the certification, and I would have to go get them.
I am almost leaning towards the local one here... but at 5k cheaper it is quite a savings.
The certified is well worth the money. You get a warranty to 100k miles. Plus you get a car that is completely checked out and reconditioned. I wouldn't by a BMW from a private party. You don't know what your getting, if the miles are right, ect. You have any major repairs and your $4k savings are gone.
Plus a dealer is going to get you better financing....
I've had three certified late model BMWs...the only way to go....
:idea: :rollside:

TOBTEK
07-26-2006, 10:06 AM
the Misses has had two 3.0's and on her second 4.4 the newer 4.4's have something like 320ish hp's. up from 282hp. Having had both the 6 and 8 cyl, id never go back to the smaller motor. Thinking about selling her 20004 white on black 4.4 sport pkg. May need a 4.8 :)