PDA

View Full Version : Tom at menkins

Flat 70
07-29-2003, 07:08 AM
Tom,just wondering if your gonna still make how to video on Casale V-Drives? Also, I have a set of extra 22% for 12deg. with bad rust pits on teeth(one side only) bottom gear.Are these junk?? Thanks, Steve...... :confused:

V-Drive Tom
07-29-2003, 10:57 AM
Flat70, I don't know about making the video. Still trying to figure if it will be a smart thing for me to do!
Your gear set with rust may be usable. You should send them to me and I will check them if you like.
You can call me for advice on v-drive assembly, or modification, but I do need to make a living!! :D TOM..

Flat 70
07-29-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the reply ... I understand about the making a living thing...I guess I was just wishful thinking about the vid. cause I've got the shade tree mechanic sendrome.I'll either fix it up or f***k it up... but, I have had good luck with the casale's Ive played with so far..But the casale I have now scares me because I'm sure it was put together wrong by the last guy that had it apart...The splines on the upper shaft were smashed back+the collar on that shaft looks like it was to thick from the heat(blueing) marks it has on it.It had rust and sludge all threw it and bearings and gears I replaced.Also some body put a whirlaway in it and it was missing ball and spring for shifter and the gasket that covers housing for shifter,it does have locking handle for whirlaway.Do I need ball and spring for shifter when it has locking handle?Also I went from 22% to 29% because I used to love the 29% in my last boat,and my 22% are pitted bad... But now it is back together and turns smooth with .004 backlash.Also, what gear oil works best for these things?Have you ever tried red tack gear oil? Now you can see how handy the video would be for a guy like me..... wink :) Thanks Steve....

Flat 70
07-29-2003, 10:45 PM
Tom, I also wanted to add I've got a couple of buddies that are trying to get the most out of their boats too...I told them to call you with specs on boats...They are looking for good props ,I hear you are the best!! Only thing is now they are gonna be kicking my ass so I'll have to get one too!Three props to Red Bluff as soon as we get are shit together.. idea Thanks Steve...

Flat 70
07-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the reply ... I understand about the making a living thing...I guess I was just wishful thinking about the vid. cause I've got the shade tree mechanic sendrome.I'll either fix it up or f***k it up... but, I have had good luck with the casale's Ive played with so far..But the casale I have now scares me because I'm sure it was put together wrong by the last guy that had it apart...The splines on the upper shaft were smashed back+the collar on that shaft looks like it was to thick from the heat(blueing) marks it has on it.It had rust and sludge all threw it and bearings and gears I replaced.Also some body put a whirlaway in it and it was missing ball and spring for shifter and the gasket that covers housing for shifter,it does have locking handle for whirlaway.Do I need ball and spring for shifter when it has locking handle?Also I went from 22% to 29% because I used to love the 29% in my last boat,and my 22% are pitted bad... But now it is back together and turns smooth with .004 backlash.Also, what gear oil works best for these things?Have you ever tried red tack gear oil? Now you can see how handy the video would be for a guy like me..... wink :) Thanks Steve....

V-Drive Tom
07-30-2003, 06:51 AM
Flat70, I hope that you were able to make sure that the spacers holding the gears in place are correct. You don't realy need the detent ball and spring, IF you have a notch for neutral in your locking handle. If you don't have that then you need the ball and spring to have a positive stop.(for neutral)
I have never used that brand of gear oil.
Any GEAR OIL will work fine, but synthetic gear oil is better.
As far as you and your buddies needing props...
Call me and I will help you out however I can.
There some lower priced good used props right now. :) :cool: TOM..

Flat 70
07-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Tom, used sounds good if it will work...
The way the last person had the spacers were different then how the diagram I used showed..
I went by the diagram when installing my spacers, but back then(a few months ago)I did not know different gear sets may require different spacer sizes. This is where the technical part begins and unless you know your distance between bearings in case halves x 2 and the thickness of your combined gears and spacers to fit between the bearings + gaskets for fine tuning you might be screwed when putting a load on your V-drive . Is this what to look for?????? I hope I'm getting the picture!!!!Thanks,Steve........... :D