PDA

View Full Version : Need help with gauges issues

Jyruiz
07-26-2006, 07:31 AM
My cousin just purchased a 2000 Eliminator 22 Eagle with the 454 Mag 7.4 MPI and he got a great deal because a couple of the gauges are not working. One is the speedometer and the other is the RPM/hour meter gauge. I have checked all the wiring on the dashboard side and everything is hooked up nice and tight. I also checked all the fuses and they are all good. What should I start checking now guys? Oh, and here is apic of the boat.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15905&stc=1

Quality Time
07-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Let me guess, Livorsi's?

Mandelon
07-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Go with a new GPS speedo set up...
are you getting any power to the guages?

Jyruiz
07-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Let me guess, Livorsi's?
I am not sure, I will have to check.

Jyruiz
07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
are you getting any power to the guages?
I don't know, how do I check that, volt meter? But what wires do I ceck, for power? There are a lot hooked up back there.

BADBLOWN572
07-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Speedo - Chances are the speedometer is a mechanical speedometer that has a pito tube that goes to the back of the boat. Depending on the type of boat, the pickup will either be in the outdrive or mounted to the transom. I would pull the line off and start there. Hook up an air hose and blow in the tube. If the speedo moves, you know that it is in the pickup. Easy to replace and pretty cheap. If the speedo doesn't move it is either in the gage or the tube. Pull the tube off on the back of the speedo and blow again from the back. It should flow freely with water. If it doesn't, you may have a pinched tube or an obstruction. If that is the case, you either need to blow it out, or replace the tube. If it is flowing freely you will know it. If the tube flows smoothly, then it is probably the gage. Blow into the nipple on the back. Chances are it probably won't move.
RPM/Hour First thing that you need to do is to make sure that you are getting a good ignition source. Take a 12V test light and clip it to the ground and ign wire (purple) on the back of the gage. If you turn on the ignition, it should light up. If it doesn't, the ignition is the source of your problems. If it does light up, then take an extra piece of wire and touch the ground wire and sender wire (typically gray). Avoid touching purple and black!!! If you cross the ground and sender wires, the needle should peg to high RPM's. If it does not, chances are you have a bad gauge.
If this doesn't work, let me know. If you bring it by my shop, in Anaheim, I would be happy to take a look at it. Only cost you a beer (well maybe 2). ;)

Mandelon
07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Isn't the speedo pickup at the hole at the front of the nosecone on the outdrive?

BADBLOWN572
07-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Isn't the speedo pickup at the hole at the front of the nosecone on the outdrive?
Depends, typically yes it is. All Mercury outdrives (B1 & A1) have the p/u at the front of the drive. There is a little tube coming out the front of the lower to the gimbal. That is where you would want to pull it off.
If the boat is a jet, there is an external pickup. Sometimes manufacturers use an external pickup even on B1 & A1 drives. It really depends on how the boat is setup.

Jyruiz
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Speedo - Chances are the speedometer is a mechanical speedometer that has a pito tube that goes to the back of the boat. Depending on the type of boat, the pickup will either be in the outdrive or mounted to the transom. I would pull the line off and start there. Hook up an air hose and blow in the tube. If the speedo moves, you know that it is in the pickup. Easy to replace and pretty cheap. If the speedo doesn't move it is either in the gage or the tube. Pull the tube off on the back of the speedo and blow again from the back. It should flow freely with water. If it doesn't, you may have a pinched tube or an obstruction. If that is the case, you either need to blow it out, or replace the tube. If it is flowing freely you will know it. If the tube flows smoothly, then it is probably the gage. Blow into the nipple on the back. Chances are it probably won't move.
RPM/Hour First thing that you need to do is to make sure that you are getting a good ignition source. Take a 12V test light and clip it to the ground and ign wire (purple) on the back of the gage. If you turn on the ignition, it should light up. If it doesn't, the ignition is the source of your problems. If it does light up, then take an extra piece of wire and touch the ground wire and sender wire (typically gray). Avoid touching purple and black!!! If you cross the ground and sender wires, the needle should peg to high RPM's. If it does not, chances are you have a bad gauge.
If this doesn't work, let me know. If you bring it by my shop, in Anaheim, I would be happy to take a look at it. Only cost you a beer (well maybe 2). ;)
Wow, thanks. What is the address of your shop and how late are you open?

SPY-21
07-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to this so please bare with me. I'm the owner of the Eliminator boat in question. I was wondering if you had time this week if I could bring the boat buy? I live in Irvine and would be more than happy to take care you your beer needs

BADBLOWN572
07-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Wow, thanks. What is the address of your shop and how late are you open?
I am in and out. Not there typically during the day. Let me know what time you can come by and I will make it happen. I usually work there at night and on the weekends. PM me when you will be available to bring it by and I will make it happen.
Danny

Jyruiz
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to this so please bare with me. I'm the owner of the Eliminator boat in question. I was wondering if you had time this week if I could bring the boat buy? I live in Irvine and would be more than happy to take care you your beer needs
After all this stereo work we are doing, you better take care of my beer needs too. :)

Jyruiz
07-26-2006, 09:54 AM
I am in and out. Not there typically during the day. Let me know what time you can come by and I will make it happen. I usually work there at night and on the weekends. PM me when you will be available to bring it by and I will make it happen.
Danny
Thanks Danny, my cousin in on here now, but will check and we will definitely let you know in advance.

SPY-21
07-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Danny thank you for your help and time!!! Most definitely I will take care of your beer needs are you a Coors-light guy? Let me know what your drink is. Again thank you in advance for you time.
Gil

SPY-21
07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Juan I will take care of you as well and your drinking needs only BEER it is for you

BADBLOWN572
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
BL, CL, whatever. It all tastes good when it is hot out. ;) :)

Legal Chemistry
07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
congrats... great looking boat!

BADBLOWN572
07-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Call me at 714-313-8757 to let me know when you want to bring it by.
Danny

SPY-21
07-26-2006, 05:40 PM
will do thank you

BADBLOWN572
07-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Somebody awhile back posted all the wire colors and what they "typically" power in a marine application.
Would be great to see again.
Scott.
Red = constant hot
Black = ground
Purple = ignition
Gray = tach
Brown = oil
Blue = water
Fuel = (various. Depends on tank/valve setup)
Yellow = blower
Orange = bilge pump
Lights = green
Yello w/ red tracer = starter wire
Brown w/ white tracer = trim
There are a large variety of variation too depending on whose wiring harness you are using. Various manufacturers use different colors for items such as courtesy lights, hatch rams, accessory, docking lights, electric fuel valves, etc... There is nothing that is universal on those items.
I think I listed everything up top, but it is late in the day and my brain is fried. If you can think of something else, let me know. If it is standard, I will try to remember it.

voodoomedman
07-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Yes although some manufacturers use external ones for various reasons. People use external cuz if they get clogged they are easily replaced. Only problem is you have a custom boat with an ugly black hose coming down your transom. The pitot in my B1 is clogged right now and we can't clear it out. Have to split the case to do it. So I have to wait until Absolute services my boat since they will have it off anyway. Oh well I'm a pretty good estimator of speed anyway. Damn crap in the river.