PDA

View Full Version : Dry Headers

Dogballs
07-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Who is runnin um 100% dry all the time versus T valve and Manual overide??

Cs19
07-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Balls I forgot to reply to your PM about headers.
I run wet pipes but I have the manual valve up by my seat so I can dry them out whenever I like, so when someone rolls up looking to race I dry em out but for cruising the water really helps keep the pipes cool and not so loud, I think the coating lives a little longer too.Most of the guys I run with do run dry pipes, Im not a fan personally.
Chris

Cs19
07-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Oh and Bassett t valves suck big time.

pattymelt18
07-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Worst Thing Ever

Taylorman
07-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Oh and Bassett t valves suck big time.
What do you use?

sofa king smooth
07-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Draggon has 100% dry. Motor is loud already so really doesn't matter to much to me.

enzo
07-26-2006, 08:12 AM
with full interior - there is no need for "race only" dry headers. my $.02

djdtpr
07-26-2006, 09:15 AM
I run the manual billet ball valve by my seat to turn the water on and off whenevr i want.I run the water almost all the time accept at idle even through my zoomies.

RCB19
07-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Manual valve. I run a little water through when cruising and shut it off when I'm stompin on it.

Wet Dream
07-26-2006, 09:38 AM
My new headers are dry all the time and ceramic coated. I don't have the bungs in the pipes to run wet. Yes, wetter is cooler, but the only time you really feel the heat is idling after a run, and then you're running low RPM's and the water shouldn't be spraying anyway. The block is emitting a shit load of heat itself. The ceramic does cool alot quicker than chrome and there is a little discoloration at the bends where the exhaust is hottest, but that should be expected.

Dogballs
07-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks, sounds good, I will plum the manual deal, after all this is a river boat! I was just curious if dry headers was just a compromise people made with big HP

enzo
07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Dogball...is this boat yours?
http://s161111456.onlinehome.us/namtra/35.jpg

Dogballs
07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Negative Ghostrider! Do you have any other shots from Martinez

enzo
07-26-2006, 10:53 AM
http://s161111456.onlinehome.us/namtra/mikesbach/mikesbach1.asp
all the movie player images are broken...just give it a sec and the images will still play a slide show

Dogballs
07-26-2006, 11:00 AM
SWEEEET SLIDE SHOW ENZO!!!!!!!!!!! That was a classic time especially when we hit the sandbar at 80 with beers in our hands.

LGCDEVIL
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Driving with beers is not safe

LGCDEVIL
07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Dig the 30 yard long snail track goin up the sand bar.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I run dry and love em, especially when people give me dirty looks from the noise:D One thing for sure is that they are some hot muthafukkas after a good run:eek:

loudpipessavelives
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
i was running mine dry without baffles and it was the loudest thing on the river, but my pipes are 23 years old and the one broke so im gettin some new ones and there gonna be wet witha manual valve

Aluminum Squirt
07-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I run dry ceramic coated Rewarders. I have seen a little discoloration up near the exhaust ports. Ther ceramic coating does cool off quickly though. It's pretty friggin load. Like anybody else, I like the sound of a loud V8, but it gives me a headache after awhile, even with my helmet on. I'm going to slap some small slip on mufflers on and maybe a turn down that puts the noise down and away from me. I'm jetted pretty lean and I did notice that my headers got hot enough to start sagging a little. I bent them up very carefully with a long breaker bar. Keep an eye on the height of your collectors above the transom, your's may sag a little. A little richer jetting would probably help. It wouldn't be good to let headers sag down onto fiberglass, but it didn't hurt my aluminum at all :boxed: . This may be something only I experienced, maybe my headers are fatigued, who knows? Just keep an eye on it if you are going to run dry 100% of the time-Aluminum Squirt

QuickJet
07-27-2006, 07:05 PM
WTF is the story behind this????

LGCDEVIL
07-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Sandbar cut him off. Luckily, there was no permanent damage to the sandbar.

Dogballs
08-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Are you guys using -6 or -8 braided line to the manual valve and headers? Also what is the best T-Valve? I have both a Bassett and Rewarder T-Valve to use and lastly were in the OC do you buy AN fittings and line were they will assemble for you based on your measurements? Thanks!!

djdtpr
08-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Are you guys using -6 or -8 braided line to the manual valve and headers? Also what is the best T-Valve? I have both a Bassett and Rewarder T-Valve to use and lastly were in the OC do you buy AN fittings and line were they will assemble for you based on your measurements? Thanks!!
See CS19's add in the recycler he does all that stuff.I think its call Cs19 speed and marine. :)
Im just kidding but get ahold of him he probably can hook ya up on all that in that area.

Wet Dream
08-07-2006, 11:30 AM
WTF is the story behind this????
It was running a little fat and was trying to add fiber (sand) to its diet?

LGCDEVIL
08-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Sweet Performance. Superdave here on the boards. 714-223-9322

Cs19
08-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Balls here is the set up.
Coming out of the thermostat deal you want your one line going over board and another seperate -6 line for your headers. The -6 line comes off the thermostat then along the stringer to the valve which you will mount up by your seat then out of the valve back to the motor to either a T or a Y (I like the Y) then to each header.You will have to get a-8 male to -6 male reducer.There are a few places to get the stuff, you can order through Jegs, Superdave sells it and most all the speed shops have it.there is a place in Costa mesa that has everything too, just take measurements.
If you need to use my bandsaw and stuff to fab up a bracket no worries, I have everything you need at my shop to do the job, your welcome to any of it on the weekends.
CS

Dogballs
08-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Balls here is the set up.
Coming out of the thermostat deal you want your one line going over board and another seperate -6 line for your headers. The -6 line comes off the thermostat then along the stringer to the valve which you will mount up by your seat then out of the valve back to the motor to either a T or a Y (I like the Y) then to each header.You will have to get a-8 male to -6 male reducer.There are a few places to get the stuff, you can order through Jegs, Superdave sells it and most all the speed shops have it.there is a place in Costa mesa that has everything too, just take measurements.
If you need to use my bandsaw and stuff to fab up a bracket no worries, I have everything you need at my shop to do the job, your welcome to any of it on the weekends.
CS
Thanks bro I may take you up on it!!!!!

Cs19
08-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Oh and call rex marine and get their header water valve, toss all that bassett t valve crap.

steelcomp
08-07-2006, 08:51 PM
I run ceramic Rewarders open/dry most of the time, but have water if I need it. I have a ball valve right at the thermostat hsg, and T off that with two -6 lines to each header. I don't think you need -8's to the headers, since you're only using a trickle. The motor's close enough that I can reach back and adjust real easy. The valve on the stringer at the seat is nice, though. I usually crack mine open when I first start out, that way I know the engine's getting water. Then I usually shut it off, unless there's a ranger close by. I never open it more than enough for just some steam, and always close when idling.
Ear plugs are mandatory.

Squirtcha?
08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Back to back testing on a 500 hp mill + a 150 shot of nitrous revealed zero gains between no water, and water to the headers.
I'd be curious to see if you guys with the big pony mills actually get any kind of gains.
I repeated the test three consequtive times on the same day, same water conditions. Water, no water, water, no water etc.
gps showed a big ass'd goose egg for gains.

mrgoslow
08-08-2006, 07:34 AM
wow, someone could use a tuning lesson as well as a swift kick in the shorts

Dogballs
08-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I run ceramic Rewarders open/dry most of the time, but have water if I need it. I have a ball valve right at the thermostat hsg, and T off that with two -6 lines to each header. I don't think you need -8's to the headers, since you're only using a trickle. The motor's close enough that I can reach back and adjust real easy. The valve on the stringer at the seat is nice, though. I usually crack mine open when I first start out, that way I know the engine's getting water. Then I usually shut it off, unless there's a ranger close by. I never open it more than enough for just some steam, and always close when idling.
Ear plugs are mandatory.
Steel,
Sounds good man, you gonna make it to PT2 at Martinez or PT3 Lost Lake/Aha quin? I am amped, been testing and getting my boat dialed for a couple fun river weekends.
Balls

enzo
08-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Here's the story... He tried hosing me down with his jet - and was too busy looking the wrong direction at 60mph. Luckily, no one got hurt - not even the boat. But that was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Aluminum Squirt
08-09-2006, 01:16 AM
What's wrong with that picture???? :boxed: Looks like a regular day on the river. Kick that sucker back in the water and go boating. That's why you have a navigator, to help get your boat off sand bars-Aluminum Squirt

steelcomp
08-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Steel,
Sounds good man, you gonna make it to PT2 at Martinez or PT3 Lost Lake/Aha quin? I am amped, been testing and getting my boat dialed for a couple fun river weekends.
Balls Balls, I'm planning on making both, plus the last two races at Ming. I have no life right now except boat.

Cs19
08-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Balls, I'm planning on making both, plus the last two races at Ming. I have no life right now except boat.
Thats been my life for the past few years..sleep eat boat sleep eat boat.
Steel,World Finals at Firebird is a super fun race in November, put that on your list..highly reccomended, youll probably havta sandbag in ME but thats a good class over there.

olbiezer
08-09-2006, 08:15 AM
i run the manual valve near my seat but forget to turn it on half the time.....guess i will get used to it soon enough........hey dog.....those pics looked like u all had a real sausage fest......where were the chic's man? :)

Dogballs
08-09-2006, 08:46 AM
i run the manual valve near my seat but forget to turn it on half the time.....guess i will get used to it soon enough........hey dog.....those pics looked like u all had a real sausage fest......where were the chic's man? :)
It was a bachelor party bro and everyone is married. Got to keep in clean if ya know what I mean.

GasGuzzler
08-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Go on and get the banderlog valve. Best purchase I have made, water kicks on at 1500 or 2000 and back off when you let off. Plumb it and forget it (cept to clean the screen once in a while)
http://www.banderlog.com/products/w...rInjection.html

steelcomp
08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Thats been my life for the past few years..sleep eat boat sleep eat boat.
Steel,World Finals at Firebird is a super fun race in November, put that on your list..highly reccomended, youll probably havta sandbag in ME but thats a good class over there.
Yeah, let's see. PT2, PT3, Ming, Ming in Oct., then the Finals. I oughta be dialed in by then.
And very broke. :D

hottrodder
08-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Ask my 4 year old about my pipes :cry: