PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser 496 Oil Filter?

Don7070
07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know if the AC Delco oil filter for an 8.1 Liter Chevy truck will fit a Mercruiser 496? Anyone know the Quicksilver number? Thanks.

Beer-30
07-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Does anyone know if the AC Delco oil filter for an 8.1 Liter Chevy truck will fit a Mercruiser 496? Anyone know the Quicksilver number? Thanks.
Yep. Same one.

Don7070
07-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Yep. Same one.
Cool. Thanks.

Beer-30
07-26-2006, 07:22 PM
I run the Mobil-1 #M1-111, which is the same part number for 2001 GM 8.1L pickup. It also crossed over to the Quicksilver (Merc) part number. I also run the Fram crossover number for same application (don't recall that #) and they work just fine also.

Don7070
07-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the info. BTW, what oil do you use?

Beer-30
07-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Mobil-1 10-30 from Costco. There are several discussions about this here on the boards. Just search on whatever oil you are thinking of / or just Mobil-1. You will see several opinions back and forth. I just think it's a real good synthetic for a great price. If a NASCAR motor can run 0W Mobil-1 for qualifying and live; I figure the 10-30 is plenty for a stock HO.

DMOORE
07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
The only negative I've heard about full synthetic, is that it does not do as well at preventing corrosion. A gentleman I knew a few years back learned this after having a Motor rebuilt for an airplane. The engine was then stored approx 1 year before going into the plane. When installing the motor they noticed an great deal of corrosion. The motor had to be rebuilt. He began to research the problem and found that the anti corrosion addatives that normally be added to an oil actually degrades the synthetic oils properties at lubrication. I now dont use full synthetic in a marine environment or if I'm going to store a vehicle.
Darrell.

Beer-30
07-31-2006, 03:31 AM
The only negative I've heard about full synthetic, is that it does not do as well at preventing corrosion. A gentleman I knew a few years back learned this after having a Motor rebuilt for an airplane. The engine was then stored approx 1 year before going into the plane. When installing the motor they noticed an great deal of corrosion. The motor had to be rebuilt. He began to research the problem and found that the anti corrosion addatives that normally be added to an oil actually degrades the synthetic oils properties at lubrication. I now dont use full synthetic in a marine environment or if I'm going to store a vehicle.
Darrell.
That's a good idea, but not entirely true. Yes, AV oil has increased anti-corrosion properties, but any motor sitting that long will have rust and corrosion. An AV engine should run AT LEAST 30 minutes every month to prevent corrosion. This is regardless of what oil is in it. One can actually see corrosion starting at about the two-three month mark. Only running the motor to operating temp frequently will stop the corrosion.
Boat environment may add a little more moisture initially, but once again, running a motor frequently at operating temp boils off the fuel and water from the oil. So, as long as you run either on a monthly basis, corrosion is a moot point.
Additionally, if you change oil twice as frequent as recommended, like most do, it is again a moot point.
I change the semi-synthetic 15-50 in my Lycoming TIO-540 at 25 hours (50 is recommended). I change the boat at about 35-40 hours. Both still look almost new when draining. The plane runs much hotter and has a heaftier constant load on it, so I change it more frequently. Both the boat and the plane run about 100 hours a year.