PDA

View Full Version : White Liquid??....not what you think

cordova
07-26-2006, 09:01 PM
I opened the hatch and saw a small puddle of white oily fluid in the hull. There was also a little puddle of brown-ish tan liquid in a section infront of the bilge pump mounting riser. I know my trim fluid is alittle on the mikly side, but there was no trace of it seeping out anywhere in the lines or resivoir. I thought it was my trim since the drive had dropped after a while but i think that's the pistion due to the oil running down the drive? any idea what this is?

Devil's Advocate
07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
White Liquid??....not what you think
What were we thinking? :idea:

Redrider
07-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh no, here we go again... LOL :)

cordova
07-26-2006, 09:12 PM
i guess it was funny in my head.....

Devil's Advocate
07-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Oh no, here we go again... LOL :)
:D
Bummer we won't be seeing you guys next weekend. :frown:

Redrider
07-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Yes, sorry! Now back to the white liquid... :sqeyes:
Going to bed talk soon...

Devil's Advocate
07-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Yes, sorry! Now back to the white liquid... :sqeyes:
Going to bed talk soon...
Ok, have fun...I mean, goodnight! :p
Sorry Cordova, not jacking your thread.

Run_em_Hard
07-26-2006, 09:22 PM
I opened the hatch and saw a small puddle of white oily fluid in the hull. There was also a little puddle of brown-ish tan liquid in a section infront of the bilge pump mounting riser. I know my trim fluid is alittle on the mikly side, but there was no trace of it seeping out anywhere in the lines or resivoir. I thought it was my trim since the drive had dropped after a while but i think that's the pistion due to the oil running down the drive? any idea what this is?
The brown stuff I would guess would have to be some kind of oil...trim, outdrive, engine, steering, etc mixed with water. As far as the white stuff...no idea. ???Coconut Rum???

cordova
07-26-2006, 10:16 PM
yeah I forgot to mention that i did an oil change fairly recently so that covers the brown...would there be seepage form air in the trim lines?

Goober
07-27-2006, 01:53 AM
was it thin or think
If it was thick my bet is it was litheum grease(sp)
think might just be some spilled sun screan.

cordova
07-27-2006, 04:20 AM
it was thin. I wish it was something as simple as sunscreen. the boat hasn't seen the water yet

RitcheyRch
07-27-2006, 04:39 AM
White lithium grease from some fitting.

BadKachina
07-27-2006, 06:39 AM
it was thin. I wish it was something as simple as sunscreen. the boat hasn't seen the water yet
I could just be some oil mixed with water. I've seen white liquid come out of trim pumps after they've been contaminated with water. If you have air in the system they can foam up really bad and overflow the tank, powersteering pumps do this too. I've also seen white liquid come out of fuel seperators. Oil, water, air, and pressure combined sometimes do wierd stuff.
You said your drive oil is milky and you have oil running down your drive? You should have that checked or you could be replacing the drive soon.

cordova
07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to day drive oil..I ment trim fluid. I think this may be the lithium grease solution. I measured the trim at full height and it was 18", and i remeasured it a week later and it was the same and there isn't anymore fluid in the hull. Now a question.. 1. Would a boat as old as a '77 have power steering? and 2. If yes is the power steering powered by the same resivoir or solenoid as the trim (I guess i could just ask does power steering have anything to do with power trim, but i like things complicated!) Also, I noticed a small what looks to be over fill hole near the bottom of the drive and quite a bit of oil has been leaking out. This is dark black oil. It almost looks like an over flow or breather hole... but there isn't any threads for a plug, and it would be totally submerged in water??? Hopefully I haven't given you all a brainful. Sorry for the novel, and I'll try to post pics tomorrow. Thanks all!!

Mandelon
07-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Trim drive oil is just plain old motor oil, and I recently had to replace my pump and motor due to its becoming contaminated....caused the pump to fail it would seem. the lid on the container is not tight, since it vents. It can heat up and overflow, and get water in it if your bilge gets a little fuller than it ought to.....or if the lines leak a bit.
change the oil, or you might be changing the pump.......