PDA

View Full Version : anyone self contract their pool being built ?

bchbum
07-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Got a bid last nite for a pool , for a very basic one the price was over $ 43,000. People have told me they saved major $ by being their own general . If you did this how much $ did you save ,did you use referals ,was there alot of headaches ,& was it worth the savings ? Thanks :cool:

shueman
07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Never get your money out of a pool.....better to get a nice spa instead.... :cool:

riverluvr
07-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Yes, we contracted our own pool. It only took 7 weeks......we got a 50,000 pool for 28,000. You can PM me if you want names, etc. I can also send you some pics of our pool so you know what 28,000 will get you. It wasn't a pain....well, any more of a pain than dealing with contractors (they can be a pain already) :0) Sorry to all you GOOD contractors out there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

bchbum
07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
We know a pool is lost $ on resale , we don't plan on selling . Our jobs can't be moved as we both work for the local govt. or school district . Been here 18 years already , not enough time to go to the river -- so :cool: we want a pool .

THATJEFFGUY
07-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Got a bid last nite for a pool , for a very basic one the price was over $ 43,000. People have told me they saved major $ by being their own general . If you did this how much $ did you save ,did you use referals ,was there alot of headaches ,& was it worth the savings ? Thanks :cool:
A neighbor of mine is a GC and just did his pool this way. He said he saved about $20K. I am going to talk to him soon and probably will be doing the same thing. With all the re-fi's and HELOC's, pool builders prices are over the top right now. I've had two bids....just a pretty basic pool 19x36 with some decorative flagstone. One was $56K, the other was almost $62K...ridiculous !!

Trailer Park Casanova
07-26-2006, 09:17 PM
We did it once.
Get the list, get a perfect idea of what you want,, even pics of someone elses that you'd like to duplicate.
If I were to do it again, I'd go small, and even consider tile covered fiberglass.
When ya decide ya don't want it anymore someetime in the late future, a sawsall and a dumpster is all ya need to get your yard back.
Concrete pools are the most awsum though.

TOBTEK
07-26-2006, 09:20 PM
we are getting our pebbletec installed tomorrow morning....All I can tell you is do a OWNER BUILDER! I would never use a pool company again. I only wish id gone with my gut, and had Roz help me with this project. Once the GC gets your draws to cover their projects cost.... GOOD LUCK getting it completed. After seeing first hand whats involved, Id have no problem going owner builder. PLUS, Ive talked with all the subs. They say they would rather deal with a O/builber because they get paid in a faster manner. They say the G/C's are slow pays......... Wifey was afraid for Insurance reasons, just get references on your subs........ contact ROZ, this is his line of work.

mbrown2
07-26-2006, 09:24 PM
we are getting our pebbletec installed tomorrow morning....All I can tell you is do a OWNER BUILDER! I would never use a pool company again. I only wish id gone with my gut, and had Roz help me with this project. Once the GC gets your draws to cover their projects cost.... GOOD LUCK getting it completed. After seeing first hand whats involved, Id have no problem going owner builder. PLUS, Ive talked with all the subs. They say they would rather deal with a O/builber because they get paid in a faster manner. They say the G/C's are slow pays......... Wifey was afraid for Insurance reasons, just get references on your subs........ contact ROZ, this is his line of work.
I agree Tob...dealing with a pool builder was a nightmare....would not ever want to do it again...

Trailer Park Casanova
07-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I agree Tob...dealing with a pool builder was a nightmare....would not ever want to do it again...
Where do ya start with the horror stories,,, I'd never do it again either.

'78 gt boat
07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm using a company called DIY pools direct. They are digging tomorrow. I got bids from 40k to 50k and I'm getting this one for 31k. This includes the commission for the sales guy. without the commission If I wanted to do all the leg work it would have been around 27k. Simple 80 perimeter pool and 25 perimiter spa with salt water and pebbletech with other goodies like a sheer descent and extra spa jets and crap like that. I think I got a pretty good deal. Just my .02 :220v:

TOBTEK
07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Where do ya start with the horror stories,,, I'd never do it again either.
my contractor was good for the first 5 weeks......then when the faux rocks started it all went to heck. After FOUR months I finally got the company to get a different painter in here. new painter, 3 days and now there awesome. After talking with one of the guys at the company, I now understand why we got sidelined. They are doing two projects right now for big suits at Qualcomm. get this 800,000.00 pool projects..... and to think we think 400K for a new F32 is crazy.

DeeCandyBar
07-26-2006, 10:04 PM
owner builder is the only way to go. the subs like working with the owner because they get paid promptly. you get complete control of the project. i recommend you get a pool designer (shouldn't cost more than $500) who can help you design the pool to your liking and give you a list of subcontractors. you'll need to get the permits and signoffs but you'll be on top of the design, construction and schedule. you should save at least $10,000 and maybe $20,000 depending on your project.

ROZ
07-27-2006, 01:12 AM
I did my entire backyard for much less than a just pool quote from a VERY reputable pool company... I also did a lot of the work myself...

Hardly Satisfied
07-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Mr big baller when is the pool going to be ready for the pool party :rollside:

TOBTEK
07-27-2006, 05:58 AM
Mr big baller when is the pool going to be ready for the pool party :rollside:
I better have waterfalls flowing by fri afternoon or TorreyPines pools is gonna have a complete physo on their hands. We signed our contract 12/04/05 and its still not done! Anyone doing their own pool and need faux rock? this the company which saved the first rock guys butt... www.concretecreation.com Four month delay with the first company, and these guys nailed it in three days... Did I mention, DONT hire a pool contractor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! even my wife who wanted nothing to do with OWNER/BUILDER now agrees that was the route we should have taken.... oh well.

Hardly Satisfied
07-27-2006, 08:44 AM
I better have waterfalls flowing by fri afternoon or TorreyPines pools is gonna have a complete physo on their hands. We signed our contract 12/04/05 and its still not done! Anyone doing their own pool and need faux rock? this the company which saved the first rock guys butt... www.concretecreation.com Four month delay with the first company, and these guys nailed it in three days... Did I mention, DONT hire a pool contractor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! even my wife who wanted nothing to do with OWNER/BUILDER now agrees that was the route we should have taken.... oh well.
Toby there is a old saying If she ain't happy your not happy

Cole Trickle
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
I did my entire backyard for much less than a just pool quote from a VERY reputable pool company... I also did a lot of the work myself...
We need to talk;)
I would love to do a Custom Spa and possibly a pool before next summer but I can't justify spending 50K. I have a decent amount saved so I would be interested to see what you think I could do with say 30K? :)

blackcloud75
07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Multiple Pool companies quoted me 55,000-70,000
Contracted it myself.......38,000 dollars....takes a little while longer put worht it....

imbndvs
07-27-2006, 09:38 AM
I agree with what everyone is saying, owner build is the way to go.
I had a pool built last year through a pool company and will NEVER use a pool company again. It was the WORST experience of my life.

boatnam2
07-27-2006, 09:51 AM
i had riverlivers brother company do mine,and he did a great job but if i did it again i would do it myself.ao/al is doing one himself right now pm him.in my area they pretty much all use the same guys.diggin ,steel, gunite.

bchbum
07-27-2006, 07:04 PM
This is what I wanted , Thanks for all the info. Could you guys post some pics for all of us to see ? If you don't mind your cost & how much of the work you did .
Looks like alot of us might be doing this project ,cheaper than a new boat . :cool:

Trailer Park Casanova
07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
This is what I wanted , Thanks for all the info. Could you guys post some pics for all of us to see ? If you don't mind your cost & how much of the work you did .
Looks like alot of us might be doing this project ,cheaper than a new boat . :cool:
It would be a good DYI book for someone to write.
Like the really cool Volkswagen "Idiot" book.
Could be a good seller.

2Driver
07-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Friends of ours are moving forward with a company called "build your own pool" They help you be the general contractor and have a subcontractor select lists and help you through the various stages.
They said they were going to save $7K. In my mind it's not worth it when problems start to arise and subs start pointing fingers at each other. I would want one big well known company to go to. As well as years after.
Can't you hear it? The tile guy blaming the concrete guy who is blaming the rebar guy etc etc..... :rolleyes: Wheres the $7k savings when your pool becomes a POS hole in the back yard

Trailer Park Casanova
07-27-2006, 07:29 PM
My pool contractor blamed them all, they all blamed him.

2Driver
07-27-2006, 07:37 PM
But at least you have one law suit and not a convaluted 6 tiered ordeal.

Jeanyus
07-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Of course if you do the pool yourself, and someone gets hurt, and the contractor does not have workmens comp, you get sued. If something goes wrong with the pool it's your fault. If a sub goes out of business, and does not meet his payroll, you get to make the payroll.
Im not sure if an owner builder can get liability insurance, but I wouldn't do a job without it.
Look up your subcontractors on this site http://www.cslb.ca.gov/ it will tell you if they carry workers comp, a contractor cannot leagaly hire employees without workers comp. A guy can have workers comp on 1 guy and pay the rest cash, if 1 of the cash guys gets hurt, the lawers go after the guy with the most money. ( more than likely that would be you) If they are not legit don't accept thier bids.
You can save some money, but you are taking a risk, and could loose a lot too.
From a general contractor who has been burned by bad subs, and bad homeowners.

ao/al2
07-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Build it yourself........I was kinda scared cause i didnt know the first thing about building a pool or even worse never even owned a pool. You wouldnt believe the help you will get from the designer and the contractors. You will be getting a better deal from the contractors cause its cash money. I took the design and showed it to a couple of pool builders and they all wanted over $100,000. The pools almost built all is left is the decking and pepple tech and im about not including landscape $70,000. , I know boatnam is saying whats the hold up, well we had some date palms brought in from palm springs and i just wanna make sure they root before I lay concrete. If you need any help /advice please let me know. BTW its very easy. If you like to see some pics give me you email.

Riverkid
07-27-2006, 07:48 PM
We used Quality Custom Pools (Temecula) for ours. I called at least ten companies for a bid, and only three actually showed up. I already had the entire design marked out in the yard, and pictures of what we wanted. The first two told us "No, not a good idea, here's the pool we will build for you"... square, boring and expensive!
Jim @ QCP was willing to build ours to design, added a few extras, and his guys did some excellent work (he only subs out the steel and the plaster).
We have been totally satisfied. Hayword equip, salt, etc. I'd work with them again in a heartbeat. You can't even hear our equipment running with all the pumps running. Great job.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Of course if you do the pool yourself, and someone gets hurt, and the contractor does not have workmens comp, you get sued. If something goes wrong with the pool it's your fault. If a sub goes out of business, and does not meet his payroll, you get to make the payroll.
Im not sure if an owner builder can get liability insurance, but I wouldn't do a job without it.
Look up your subcontractors on this site http://www.cslb.ca.gov/ it will tell you if they carry workers comp, a contractor cannot leagaly hire employees without workers comp. A guy can have workers comp on 1 guy and pay the rest cash, if 1 of the cash guys gets hurt, the lawers go after the guy with the most money. ( more than likely that would be you) If they are not legit don't accept thier bids.
You can save some money, but you are taking a risk, and could loose a lot too.
From a general contractor who has been burned by bad subs, and bad homeowners.
My homeowners Ins has worker comp coverage written in for just such projects.
Know lots of peeps who built their own, no lawsuits.
Also:
Ya hire subs that can verify they have worker comp ins.
The rod benders can be hired outta the iron workers union local which covers them.
It's easy.

sorry dog
07-27-2006, 09:08 PM
I was once at a job with a 230 trackhoe... and got bored...
I made a pool!
It was really cool.
It was fun. Lots of splashing. Maybe the occasional flashing.
...but when the fun was over. I was sad that had to doze it over.

duffster
07-28-2006, 05:54 AM
We just did a owner builder pool in 4-weeks out here in Murrieta using Ted Metzger "Mike Metzger the Godfather of free style motocross's dad". My wife did all of the run around in the planning phase and Ted hooked us up with the rest. Savings 50K pool for 35k with a fire pit and flatwork.Very easy and well worth it the effort. He probably could have done it in three weeks if it wasn't for my Havasu trip that he bagged on me about.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Savings 50K pool for 35k with a fire pit and flatwork.Very easy and well worth it the effort. .
And it's not like your dad is going to show up and start yelling at ya,,
you're the boss thats signing the chex.
It's the only way I'd do another.

Kiddunot
07-28-2006, 06:20 AM
I am buying a house currently, hopefully within a year i will be installing a pool as well..I see there is a lot of liability out there whether you go with a Pool Contractor or an Owner/Builder. I dont know the first thing about doing this? If anyone has pictures can you please post them or Pm Me. There is alot for me to do considering the backyard does not even come landscaped. It is just one big pile of dirt (Perfect for a minibike track). I am figuring it will cost me around 70-80,000 including all the landscaping and concrete that needs to be poured.

vodkarocks
07-28-2006, 06:29 AM
I did my own pool in 94 in Houston. Easiest home project I ever did and it only took 21 days from start to finish

Trailer Park Casanova
07-28-2006, 06:30 AM
If a neighbor is doing a similar project, it's a good way to get the names and cards of the subs, and snap some pix,, and observe in person what's happening.
That is I assume, it's a new neighborhood you're moving into.
Surely someone in the 'hood will undertake such a project before winter hit.
Pool contractors are subject to carry much higher bonds ect than other contractors because of their very bad reputation.
All ya really need is a list of names, and ya start with a plan and a permit.
The plan/designer should be the first name on the list, and ya go from there.

MayDaze
07-28-2006, 06:48 AM
I agree with what everyone is saying, owner build is the way to go.
I had a pool built last year through a pool company and will NEVER use a pool company again. It was the WORST experience of my life.
I totally agree WORST experience of my life to. I finally had to report them to the Better Business Bureau and that seemed to light a fire.

rivergoer
07-28-2006, 06:54 AM
my dad is a gen contractor..he is building going to build a 150k pool...but he is going to contract it himself and sub cntrct out on it... by the end he will only pay 60k for it...so you run the numbers and find out if its worth it.....where are you at i can get you the hook ups if you want..as far as...excavators...rebar guy...cement/plaster and the plumber....

Trailer Park Casanova
07-28-2006, 06:59 AM
my dad is a gen contractor..he is building going to build a 150k pool...but he is going to contract it himself and sub cntrct out on it... by the end he will only pay 60k for it...so you run the numbers and find out if its worth it.....where are you at i can get you the hook ups if you want..as far as...excavators...rebar guy...cement/plaster and the plumber....
Best place to start with complaints is the contractors state lic bd in Cali.
We got good, fast excellent response.

Rocky
07-28-2006, 09:18 AM
My wife wants me to sell the boat so we can put in a pool.. I just laugh at her :p

Jeanyus
07-28-2006, 10:20 AM
So your saying that pool contractors are putting over 100 % markup on pools, not likely. Legit contractors put 10 % for overhead (insurance, workers comp, supervision) and 10 % profit. If someone is saving more than 20 % by doing owner builder, you aren't comparing the same pool, or the pool contractors are gouging.
21 days is fast, when you consider you have to let the gunite cure for 14 days, before filling the pool.
I have been subpoenad as a witness 3 times in 10 years, over workers comp lawsuits. Remember lawsuits are the new way to get rich quick.
Lets say your homeowners insurance pays out $100,000 on a workers comp claim, the lawers that work for your hmeowners insurance are going to look for a way to recover that money, if they can show negligence on your part you get screwed by your own insurance.
Good luck you may need it.

Partycattin
07-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Multiple Pool companies quoted me 55,000-70,000
Contracted it myself.......38,000 dollars....takes a little while longer put worht it....
We went the owner/builder route and had the pool done in about 7 weeks. That was with some delays on my part as I was doing a lot of the work myself.
Everyone I know that has hired a pool contractor has taken 3-4 months to get done with a lot of frustration and "suprise" cost incurred.
If you use good subs, owner/builder is the way to go.

riverracerx
07-31-2006, 08:37 AM
I did owner/builder and my GC handled everything. He used all of the same subs as the pool companies did, but we paid them cash as got a big discount.
I used a HELOC and wrote checks for everything. Cash/check in hand gets you work done. I even got bumped in front of pool companies schedules because they don't always pay their subs on time.
I saved a ton of money, had zero headaches and got a killer pool.
I basically had the same guy do my entire front and back yard, built in BBQ, pool, firepit, patio cover, hardscape and landscape. He had workers there every day. (which is a feat in itself to get anyone to show up).
If you get the right guy to GC it, you are ste. If you get a flake, you get headaches.

Jordy
07-31-2006, 08:50 AM
Legit contractors put 10 % for overhead (insurance, workers comp, supervision) and 10 % profit.
10% in profit??? I would rather close my doors than only have a 10% return. I suppose it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. :notam:

lawbreaker2
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
I want to see pic's of some of your guy's pools and B-Q, I need some Ideas for my place, were think of putting in a pool next year. Any good fourms or website with pic's. :cool:

Sherpa
07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
After seeing numerous pools built mostly by pool companies, I wouldn't hesitate to do my own. 5-6 years ago when I did landscaping on the side,
I was contracted to do a full-on pool-deck/patio.... what I didn't know was
there was also a automatic poolcover that needed to be poured also. I did
everything on the prints, and even the pool contractor was skeptical as to
who "actually" did the work when he saw it....... he thought some seasoned
team did the work.......... nope, just me and one helper.....
I wouldn't even have an excavation company dig the hole..... 1 weekend,
and a regular backhoe you'll have a nice hole.... even for a rookie...
bend rebar-? are you kidding-? that's easy.
shotcrete has to be hired out, as also most plaster work......... flat work is
easy, tile is easy....... plumbing is easy if you've done lawns before.......
--Sherpa

Cole Trickle
07-31-2006, 12:50 PM
After seeing numerous pools built mostly by pool companies, I wouldn't hesitate to do my own. 5-6 years ago when I did landscaping on the side,
I was contracted to do a full-on pool-deck/patio.... what I didn't know was
there was also a automatic poolcover that needed to be poured also. I did
everything on the prints, and even the pool contractor was skeptical as to
who "actually" did the work when he saw it....... he thought some seasoned
team did the work.......... nope, just me and one helper.....
I wouldn't even have an excavation company dig the hole..... 1 weekend,
and a regular backhoe you'll have a nice hole.... even for a rookie...
bend rebar-? are you kidding-? that's easy.
shotcrete has to be hired out, as also most plaster work......... flat work is
easy, tile is easy....... plumbing is easy if you've done lawns before.......
--Sherpa
When can you start? :crossx:
I want a 50K pool for 30K :p :idea:

Nord
07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
When can you start? :crossx:
I want a 50K pool for 30K :p :idea:
LMAO!!!!!!!!
You have the perfect yard for a pool!!!!!!!!!!!
I love my pool, however it definately adds on to the responsability list....
!~NORD~!

Cole Trickle
07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!
You have the perfect yard for a pool!!!!!!!!!!!
I love my pool, however it definately adds on to the responsability list....
!~NORD~!
I might just do a Jacuzzi and built in Barbecue.
I am not a huge swimmer but it's been so hot I figured a pool wouldn't be a terrible idea.Sadly 30K ia about all I could justify spending.
besides grass sucks and I wasn't exactly born with a greenthumb;) :cry:

Nord
07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
I might just do a Jacuzzi and built in Barbecue.
I am not a huge swimmer but it's been so hot I figured a pool wouldn't be a terrible idea.Sadly 30K ia about all I could justify spending.
besides grass sucks and I wasn't exactly born with a greenthumb;) :cry:
I hear ya!!!
I swim in my pool every night when I get home and its great!!!
I saw a built in bbq at Homes depot that had a stereo head unit in it that was sick!!!!!

Cole Trickle
07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
I hear ya!!!
I saw a built in bbq at Homes depot that had a stereo head unit in it that was sick!!!!!
Don't forget the Palapa:D
when is teh next party? :crossx:

lawbreaker2
07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
I hear ya!!!
How come my HD don't have that. :cry: we always get the shaft :cry: