PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem

revndave
07-27-2006, 05:35 AM
I have a 1979 Schiada.Driverside cable is broken.It has a Morse Command 2 helm in it.I need a 15ft cable.Any cables out there??Or give me suggestions on what to do.Anybody try a dual rack system??Sea Star system???Teleflex rotary???

InKahntrol
07-27-2006, 05:39 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get replacement cables from Rex and Glenwood.

revndave
07-27-2006, 05:44 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get replacement cables from Rex and Glenwood.
Rex said nope.

Dana Marine Products
07-27-2006, 06:59 AM
The Morse command 2 cables, (#300622) have been discontinued roughly 7-8 years ago. Your only hope is to find one laying around on someones shelf. No other cable company makes a replacement to fit that helm. As far as changing to a dual rack system, as long as there is room under the dash for it, and we'd have to find you a Morse style dual rack helm. Cables are still available through Teleflex to fit Morse rack systems. Morse is the only dual rack helm that will allow the cables to being bolt on opposed of each other. The Teleflex dual rack sysem has two cables bound into one rack, so they're set to go down the same side of the boat. I know Schiada has got some sort of hydraulic system, if you're considering that route, you should give them a call.

revndave
07-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Schiada uses power steering now.I was looking at the Sea Star Pro system.That might work.

sawtooth
07-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Did you ever figure out what was causing your boat to pull to one side. I think the last thing I read on it was you were going to take it down to Schiada and have Lee look at it after the fourth of July. I hope it was not something major and you were able to get it worked out.

HighVoltage 329
07-27-2006, 09:45 PM
I would look into the old cable and pully system. It has a great feel in a v-drive and most skirace boats were set up that way.

Rexone
07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Yep, either that or the next best thing, a Calgo system. They are a rotary jacketed multistranded cable that pushes and pulls, one cable from each side. Very good alternative to the old Morse stuff and much more positive feel. Easier install than converting to chain and cable type too. If you need Calgo info just PM or give a call.