PDA

View Full Version : LBZ Duramax's Whos happy whos not?

sintax
07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm looking to get some input on these. I'm thinking about picking one up if Jay ends up getting back to me.

sigepmock
07-27-2006, 10:21 AM
I've got three buddies that have them and they love them. One is our shop foreman, lemon lawed his 05 LLY Dually, they gave him a new 06 LBZ Dually and he loves it. Pulls his 9,000 fishing boat everyweekend no problems.
Second is my buddy that owns a lift shop. He had two bad Fords that he finally got sick of and jumped teams. His is lifted on 37's and he loves it too. Tows his 28 Daytona like it wasn't there.
And the third buddy is my neighbor, the old guy with the bone stock truck that uses it to haul his camper. He had an 02 before this and says this is the best truck he's ever had.
Almost makes me want to trade my 05 in on one :crossx:
Chris

onesloryd
07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
A friend of mine has one and couldn’t be happier with the way it tows. The new 6 speed auto and engine are very well integrated.

shippingguy
07-27-2006, 11:01 AM
I have had mine since November and love it. Lifted on 37's and tows my 27 Shadow with ease. Very quiet and powerful.

ultra27jay
07-27-2006, 11:26 AM
I got my 06 LLY late in 05 and missed the LBZ motor by a few weeks. But i got to say i love it. lifted on 37s with a cst 11 inch lift. first thing i did was the turbo back system and what a difference that made. then i did the k/n intake system and just got the superchip programmer.towing with my 27 shadow behind me it doesent even know its there. even my weekend warrior loves being towed and it heavy.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/jay41973/DSC01169.jpg

sintax
07-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Good stuff...
Whats everyone getting for fuel milage? City vs highway vs towing?

MR HARLEY
07-27-2006, 11:43 AM
I got my 06 LLY late in 05 and missed the LBZ motor by a few weeks. But i got to say i love it. lifted on 37s with a cst 11 inch lift. first thing i did was the turbo back system and what a difference that made. then i did the k/n intake system and just got the superchip programmer.towing with my 27 shadow behind me it doesent even know its there. even my weekend warrior loves being towed and it heavy.
Baller :)

mondorally
07-27-2006, 12:06 PM
:crossx: Good stuff...
High 14's combo city/work commute. Haven't towed any distance to get a number.
-Justin

River918
07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Love my LBZ....After getting my Ford 6.0 Lemon Lawed, I went back to Chevy. I got my LBZ in November and couldn't believe the power. I have a 6" lift with 35's on it. I havent got the speedo recalibrated yet, but the computer says I am getting a little over 14 MPG....I am guessing it is actually closer to around 16. It has about 5K miles on it now, so it's still getting broke in. One of the biggest things I couldn't believe was how quiet it is. If fact, when Photoglou pulled up in my driveway with it, I thought he had brought me a gaser.

Magic34
07-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Love mine. Put exhaust on it and be done. No programmer/chip is needed. Great power for the things I tow with it. 15k boat/trailer and 18k toy hauler.

cdog
07-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I love mine. Bought it in november and just did 33's with the leveling kit. I get 15-16 mpg driving 75-85mph. The truck hauls ass. Tons of stock power. I beat a G35 in a drag race. You'll love the truck....

kevnmcd
07-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Bought one from Jay last month and couldn't be happier! I love this thing. Getting 15.5 mpg average and 19 mpg highway. I've only towed the boat to Havi once and averaged 14 mpg at 70 mph. Couldn't even tell there were any hills! :D

kevnmcd
07-27-2006, 02:33 PM
I love mine. Bought it in november and just did 33's with the leveling kit. I get 15-16 mpg driving 75-85mph. The truck hauls ass. Tons of stock power. I beat a G35 in a drag race. You'll love the truck....
cdog - I am adding 33's next month and wanted to level it out also. What did you go with for your leveling kit and how do you like the ride?

MBMOSEBILT
07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
I have had mine since October 2005. I tow a 25 foot toybox with 2quads, long travel buggie and 200 gal. of fuel. I eat tuned up Fords and Dodges with a stocker with exhaust on 33's. This GMC stock is the only way to go. My buddie with the Ford blew both head gaskets one Turbo and who knows how many reflashes. The Dodge just went down towing his 5th wheel empty up Chiriaco and the thing over heats EGT's to HIGH! Get it. Its worth it.

Bradf
07-27-2006, 08:48 PM
does it get any trendier than that? =P

ultra27jay
07-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Baller :)
come on, lets look in our rear view miriors and see who is the baller? DCB...... :cool: whats up MR. HARLEY when are we hanging out again....let me know ill bring the cocktails..... :rollside:

ultra27jay
07-27-2006, 11:12 PM
does it get any trendier than that? =P
whats so trendy? does everybody run 24 inch wheels on thier lifted chevy? im confused....

LAFD
07-28-2006, 08:43 AM
whats so trendy? does everybody run 24 inch wheels on thier lifted chevy? im confused....
whos cares your setup is just plain sick.

Up 4 River
07-28-2006, 09:10 AM
What's the sticker on one of these?

casean
07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
I've got three buddies that have them and they love them. One is our shop foreman, lemon lawed his 05 LLY Dually, they gave him a new 06 LBZ Dually and he loves it. Pulls his 9,000 fishing boat everyweekend no problems.
Second is my buddy that owns a lift shop. He had two bad Fords that he finally got sick of and jumped teams. His is lifted on 37's and he loves it too. Tows his 28 Daytona like it wasn't there.
And the third buddy is my neighbor, the old guy with the bone stock truck that uses it to haul his camper. He had an 02 before this and says this is the best truck he's ever had.
Almost makes me want to trade my 05 in on one :crossx:
Chris
Chris,
Are any of your buddies seeing the same high EGT's that have become a staple of the LLY? I realize that not everyone runs pyrometers, even though they should on a diesel.

ultra27jay
07-28-2006, 09:50 AM
whos cares your setup is just plain sick.
thanks man! and what up neighbor. i noticed u worked the porter ranch fire right by my house thanks for all the hard work. my house is right behind the fire stathion on porter ranch dr. keep up the good work. :cool: flag me down some time in havasu and ill buy u a cold one.......

LAFD
07-28-2006, 10:16 AM
thanks man! and what up neighbor. i noticed u worked the porter ranch fire right by my house thanks for all the hard work. my house is right behind the fire stathion on porter ranch dr. keep up the good work. :cool: flag me down some time in havasu and ill buy u a cold one.......
i know exactly where your at. yeah i was working with the la city dozer crew that was pretty fun.

Kilrtoy
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
WASTE OF MONEY...
But I only tow a 1/4mile to the launch ramp, Diesel is so over priced and the truck is 10K more than a gas one....
Otherwise, the truck is bad azz

sigepmock
07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Chris,
Are any of your buddies seeing the same high EGT's that have become a staple of the LLY? I realize that not everyone runs pyrometers, even though they should on a diesel.
No they're not. Also with the Pred v 2.02 I am seeing stock EGT's now, no more high EGT's for me :)
GM seems to have got it right on the LBZ, except for a handful of injector/smoking issues.

cactusgolfcarts
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Jay had mine delivered to me in mid-March. 06 crew cab dually LBZ automatic 17,000 miles now. This is hands down the best truck I have ever ridden in or owned. The way the tranny downshifts when you apply the brakes is just amazing. I can't say enough great things about the truck. I'm getting 13-14 towing 7500#'s at 75mph-ish and 16-18 around town/highway unloaded, hand calculated also. Doing the Banks exhaust this week.

casean
07-28-2006, 01:15 PM
No they're not. Also with the Pred v 2.02 I am seeing stock EGT's now, no more high EGT's for me :)
GM seems to have got it right on the LBZ, except for a handful of injector/smoking issues.
Glad to hear they got a grip on the out of hand EGT's. About time Diablo got their program tune figured out :D
Nothing wrong with a little smoke... as long as it's black and not white :crossx:

ultra27jay
07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
i know exactly where your at. yeah i was working with the la city dozer crew that was pretty fun.
sweet, i actuatlly went to cosco and bought about 800.00 dollars worth of water,poweraid,beef jerkey, peanuts and a hudge aray of stuff to give to the guys. i pulled up in a big superduty and a bunch of guys were resting on the front lawn of the stathion when i droped the tailgate the guys were so supprised they all came over and unloaded the truck. they were very low on supplys from what the chief said.

Bradf
07-28-2006, 01:36 PM
lol just messin jay. nice truck, AND boat.

ultra27jay
07-28-2006, 03:27 PM
no worries man, :crossx:

BiodieselLuke
07-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I've had all 3 , Dodge mega cab is my truck of choice

INSman
07-29-2006, 07:26 PM
I've had all 3 , Dodge mega cab is my truck of choice
You have HAD all three ??? You have had the new LBZ and pick the Dodge, I think not !!!!! You may have had an LLY or LB7 and are likely confused. Nobody in their right mind would pick a Dodge over a GMC or Chevy with the new LBZ and 6-spd Allison :220v:

BiodieselLuke
07-30-2006, 01:20 AM
I've had a 7.3 and 6.0 ford , LLY and LBZ GMC's , and 3 versions of the cummins . All have been manual trannsmissions and so far I like my newest dodge . I've only put 49,000 on her so far but have not had a single problem yet as I had with all of the other trucks . My buddies have auto's and they don't last nearly as long as the manuals . My company puts about 120k per year on their utility trucks that once they are full of tools weigh anywhere from 10 to 18 thousand pounds . Obviously if you are just driving around at empty weight all day and pulling the boat every once in a while your needs may vary . The new cummins just seems to growl along all day as if the weight wasn't there . No downshifting , no turbo whine , it just goes . Just my .02

HammerDown
07-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Nobody in their right mind would pick a Dodge over a GMC or Chevy with the new LBZ and 6-spd Allison :220v:
The Engine/trany combo may be nice but, I just can't get excited about the looks of GMC/Chevy...fugly!
Now the Cummins/Allision combo in a new F-250 or Ram = :rollside:

jamessampica
07-30-2006, 09:38 AM
I have the edge tuner on my 05 LLY and i'm seeing high egt's so what does the PRED v 2.02 do and is it ok to put it with my tuner they say no piggybacking?
What do call high EGT'S?

INSman
07-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I have the edge tuner on my 05 LLY and i'm seeing high egt's so what does the PRED v 2.02 do and is it ok to put it with my tuner they say no piggybacking?
What do call high EGT'S?
LLY's always seem to run hotter for some reason. Do you have an intake and 4" exhaust ?? If not, should drastically help the EGT's

INSman
07-30-2006, 09:52 AM
The Engine/trany combo may be nice but, I just can't get excited about the looks of GMC/Chevy...fugly!
Now the Cummins/Allision combo in a new F-250 or Ram = :rollside:
If we are talking about a Porsche, Lambo or Ferarri, looks would come into the decision making but not for me personally on a p/u truck.

Starloans
07-30-2006, 10:10 AM
I traded an 03 GMC 2500 with 8.1 in on this truck. Got it new from the dealer with 6" RCD, cat back, grill, spray in bedliner, and 20s with Toyos. They showed me the dealer invoice and wrote it up at that plus $7,500 for the upgrades. (I figure they have to make a few bucks) I still have to get the spedo calibrated and some step bars (I'm old :cry: ).
It has WAY more power than the 496. I'm very pleased. It's my first diesel. I was worried about lifting AFTER purchase after I spoke to a dealer in Vegas and they said there were strict warranty issuses with the new trucks. So I bought a truck with the upgrades installed.
I also tacked on an additional 3 years and 36,000 miles extended warranty for $1,200.
Plus 0% interest. Couldn't pay cash cause I have a DCB sticker in the back window. :cry:
That thing moves. And yes, the 4WD DOES WORK.
Best truck and purchase experience I've had so far.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/438IMG_0201-med.JPG

jamessampica
07-30-2006, 11:21 AM
LLY's always seem to run hotter for some reason. Do you have an intake and 4" exhaust ?? If not, should drastically help the EGT's
I do have all that stuff on it but i still don't know what you figure high egt's are.Like what range?

INSman
07-30-2006, 03:54 PM
I do have all that stuff on it but i still don't know what you figure high egt's are.Like what range?
I earely if ever see the 900's. Usually I am in 6 and 700's.

jamessampica
07-30-2006, 05:25 PM
I can see 900's if i push it hard.

cactusgolfcarts
08-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Recommendations for gauges(egt, boost, etc.)?? Do you like the pillar or overhead?

casean
08-01-2006, 07:39 AM
I earely if ever see the 900's. Usually I am in 6 and 700's.
Is this on an LBZ, LLY or LB7 motor? I can easily see EGT's in the low 1300's with our LLY :mad: This is with full 4" turbo back exhaust and the Edge/Attitude on level 2.

sigepmock
08-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Is this on an LBZ, LLY or LB7 motor? I can easily see EGT's in the low 1300's with our LLY :mad: This is with full 4" turbo back exhaust and the Edge/Attitude on level 2.
Most diesels will run in the 1200 EGT's on Pre-Turbo EGT's. 900 is nothing. LLY, LBZ, or LB7 they all run EGT's in 1200 range from the factory.
Anything over 1300 for long periods of time is bad. Since aluminum starts to break down/melt above 1300 it's probably best to stay in 1200 range with occational 1300 bursts.
Just my $.02,
Chris

casean
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Most diesels will run in the 1200 EGT's on Pre-Turbo EGT's. 900 is nothing. LLY, LBZ, or LB7 they all run EGT's in 1200 range from the factory.
Anything over 1300 for long periods of time is bad. Since aluminum starts to break down/melt above 1300 it's probably best to stay in 1200 range with occational 1300 bursts.
Just my $.02,
Chris
I agree completely about keeping the EGT's out of the 1300 range. I will always back out of the throttle or down shift to bring up the boost when I start getting close to that number. Plus I have the Attitude setup to defuel at 1300 degrees. Have you installed the Fingers boost stick? It's on my list of things to try, especially if it helps to get the EGT's down a little.
So you think the 900 degrees he's seeing is post turbo? I know allot of times shops will install the pyrometer after the turbo, which IMO is not a good idea. Honestly the stock LLY trucks must be running EGT's close to the 1500's. Especially if we're seeing 1300's with our turbo back setups.

sigepmock
08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I agree completely about keeping the EGT's out of the 1300 range. I will always back out of the throttle or down shift to bring up the boost when I start getting close to that number. Plus I have the Attitude setup to defuel at 1300 degrees. Have you installed the Fingers boost stick? It's on my list of things to try, especially if it helps to get the EGT's down a little.
So you think the 900 degrees he's seeing is post turbo? I know allot of times shops will install the pyrometer after the turbo, which IMO is not a good idea. Honestly the stock LLY trucks must be running EGT's close to the 1500's. Especially if we're seeing 1300's with our turbo back setups.
No boost stick for me, any more than I have and I'd worry about the tranny. When I first installed the Pred v2.00 I was blown away with how high the EGT's were when I got on it....I was seeing 1400 way too easy. I uninstalled the programmer and ran the stock programming. With an all stock set-up I saw right around 1200 max...even on long grades. Granted I wasn't towing anything heavy. I think the stock tune is very conservative. Even after I ditched the cat and added the intake and exhaust, with the stock tune it didn't make much difference. It did help with the newer Pred v 2.02 but the tune and added boost that came with it did most of the work.
I really think most of the EGT numbers are determined by the tune, the exhaust and other goodies only help a little. I know the LLY's run a little warmer but I've never had an over heating issue. I think it's a crap shoot as to wether you get a hot one or not, just like the Ford 6.0L's.
I have not heard of any issues yet with the LBZ's.

roln 20s
09-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Best investment (depreciating I know) that I have ever made. Its the quietest riding truck I've ever been in. The power is always there, nothing I tow or dish at it ever provides a challenge. I received mine from Jay around Thanksgiving last year (ordered it and waited 8 weeks) and already have nearly 30K miles...yes, I drive a lot :) I have a RCD 6" life, 20" MKWs on Toyo 325/60s, love everything about it--my friends all want to steal it :) :D
Oh yeah, the g/f loves it to...feels special putting the boat in the water :) :D Whatever works.
You can't go wrong -- join the LBZ club!!!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/roln20s/rigatpowell2.jpg
Roln 20s

franky
09-22-2006, 05:10 PM
I GOT IT RIGHT AWAY.

River918
09-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Love mine...got it last December nad I almost have 7K miles on it now....Alot quieter than any other diesel I've seen (I also had a Ford 6.0) and more power also....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2670-1.jpg

stillgoin
09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Gonna sound like a jacka$$ here, but how do you know if you have the LBZ? Just got a used '06, not sure if i have this. Otherwise, i love the truck. Went from 95 ext cab 1/2 ton Chev (pre-vortech) to 2500HD crew...you can imagine how happy i am with it.

sintax
09-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Look at the 8th digit in the VIN. A "D" will be the LBZ and a "2" will be an LLY.
Well I finally sold my 04 GTO a few weeks back to some kid who'll likely kill himself. I picked up a cheap commuter car (94 honda civic vx, averaged 49mpg the last tank) and am going to be hunting for a truck in a week or two.
Hopefully I wont waste anymore of Jay's time. Hopefully i'll have my new LBZ by next month.

sintax
09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Anyone running a EGR block off plate and fingerstick on their LBZ?

stillgoin
09-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks Sintax.
So I have the LBZ. What is the difference tween the LBZ and LLY? Can you tell it's my first diesel? I bought it unseen at an auction, father in law called and said I had about a minute to make up my mind. Got a smokin' deal on it, but a lot of $ w/o being able to see it.
Thanks for the input.

sintax
09-28-2006, 01:43 PM
The short story on changes...
The comprehensive list of changes and upgrades to the 2006 DURAMAX 6600 includes:
* Cylinder block casting and machining changes strengthen the bottom of the cylinder bores to support increased horsepower and torque
* Upgraded main bearing material increases durability
* Revised piston design helps lower compression ratio to 16.8:1 from 17.5:1
* Piston pin bore diameter increased for increased strength
* Connecting rod “ I ” section is thicker for increased strength
* Cylinder heads revised to accommodate lower compression and reduced cylinder firing pressure
* Maximum injection pressure increased from 23,000 psi to more than 26,000 psi
* Fuel delivered via higher-pressure pump, fuel rails, distribution lines and all-new, seven-hole fuel injectors
* Fuel injectors spray directly onto glow plugs, providing faster, better-quality starts and more complete cold-start combustion for reduced emissions
* Improved glow plugs heat up faster through an independent controller
* Revised variable-geometry turbocharger is aerodynamically more efficient to help deliver smooth and immediate response and lower emissions
* Air induction system re-tuned to enhance quietness
* EGR has larger cooler to bring more exhaust into the system
* First application of new, 32-bit E35 controller, which adjusts and compensates for the fuel flow to bolster efficiency and reduce emissions
the long story can be read here...
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67521

stillgoin
10-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Thank you Sintax. Exactly what I was looking for.

sintax
10-02-2006, 07:48 PM
http://virtualpimp.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/album22/DSC00153.sized.jpg
My new one incase anyone was interested.
Thanks again Jay!

STV_Keith
10-03-2006, 12:05 PM
FYI, Edge Juice with Attitudes (http://www.edgeproducts.com/chevy_duramax_lbz.html) now in stock for the LBZ. :)