PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Drive Squeals

MohaveChuck
01-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I started her up on the trailer first time since end of November, put her in gear and loud squealling coming out of the Velvet Drive 72C. Even when I turn the drive shaft by hand in both directions. The shaft seems solid with no play back and forth. Shifts fine in both directions. I know there is a bearing in there and guessing that is the problem. It was about a half quart low also.
What do you Gurus think? Bearing? Can it be replaced without taking the motor out?
Thanks
Chuck

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
01-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I started her up on the trailer first time since end of November, put her in gear and loud squealling coming out of the Velvet Drive 72C. Even when I turn the drive shaft by hand in both directions. The shaft seems solid with no play back and forth. Shifts fine in both directions. I know there is a bearing in there and guessing that is the problem. It was about a half quart low also.
What do you Gurus think? Bearing? Can it be replaced without taking the motor out?
Thanks
Chuck
Take it to any Transmission shop, they will fix it. But. If it cost too much let me know, I'm coming west with a new rebuilt c-72. $ 600.00

Moneypitt
01-10-2006, 12:17 PM
You run the boat on the trailer in gear?? Does that mean you are turning the prop shaft? The aqualube bushings don't like that at all, and will destroy themselves in a few seconds........In fact, you may have been hearing dry bushings screaming. Did you smell any hot fiber under the boat?.......MP

DUCKY
01-10-2006, 02:09 PM
I was just thinking that... Even worse than the fiber bushings are the rubber/brass ones. They will squeal like the front tire on a import if you put it in gear on the trailer. If the fluid is clean in your velvet drive, and it only squeals when in gear, it probably was coming from elsewhere.

MohaveChuck
01-10-2006, 02:16 PM
MP,
I use the rope packing in the propshaft. Are you talking about the strut bushings ? The squealling started immediatley and I only put it in gear because I heard it turning it by hand when the engine was off. I am pretty sure it is the Velvet drive where the drive line connects. I'll turn it by hand again tonight and double check that, thanks
Chuck