PDA

View Full Version : How Exactly...

SHIFTY
07-27-2006, 04:23 PM
DO YOU DETERMINE HOW A LEAK HAS DEVELOPED IN THE HULL? MY LAST TRIP OUT, I SPRANG A SMALL (ABOUT A PINT GLASS FULL AN HOUR, ALTHOUGH IT's ACCELERATED WHILE UNDERWAY) LEAK WHERE THE TRANSOM MEETS THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT.
BOUNCING ON THE TRAILER, TORQUE STRESS OF SOME KIND... I HAVE NO IDEA. I HAVE A SMALL FIBERGLASS REPAIR KIT, AND I PLAN ON PATCHING THE HOLE FROM THE INSIDE. IT's REALLY JUST A PINHOLE WHERE THE WATER IS TRICKLING IN. ANY IDEAS ON HOW IT MAY HAVE DEVELOPED? ANY TIPS ON THE REPAIR? THIS IS THE KIT I BOUGHT.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/graphics/boatersworld/products/378310155.jpg

YeLLowBoaT
07-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Well there are several places it could be coming from.
What kind of headers do you have?? ( water ingected, log...)
my guess is its your packing seal on your jet.
If you think its the hull thats leaking. stick the plug in and fill it up with a few inchs of water in the bilge. Then look for leaks on the outside.

SHIFTY
07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
LOGS.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1873P6040032.JPG
AND IT IS THE HULL THAT IS LEAKING, I CAN PUT MY FINGER LITERALLY ON IT. THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH FILLING IT UP, IS THAT IT IS ALMOST AT THE REAR CORNER OF THE BOAT, WHICH IS SLANTED... AND IT DRAINS THROUGH TO WHERE THE BILGE PUMP IS. I'd HAVE TO FILL THE BILGE AREA WITH A FOOT OF WATER (SOAKING MY STARTER, ETC) TO CHECK THE LEAK THAT WAY.

Bradf
07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Im oldschool. A finger and or chewing gum on all my leaks! :rollside:

Paulie
07-27-2006, 08:35 PM
If you think its the hull thats leaking. stick the plug in and fill it up with a few inchs of water in the bilge. Then look for leaks on the outside.
that wont always work since the hull displaces water and the pressure is greater while the boat is in the water
shifty- just drive faster dont give the water a chance to get in
:rollside:

shaun
07-27-2006, 08:46 PM
could you jack the boat up so that the water stays in that corner? If you have a general idea where it's comming from why dont you make sure it's dry and back it in the water and start looking, should be simple enough to find then.

SHIFTY
07-27-2006, 08:51 PM
MAYBE I WASN't CLEAR AT FIRST. I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE IT IS COMING FROM. I CAN PUT MY FINGER ON THE HOLE, AND PLUG IT. I WAS JUST MORE CONCERNED WITH HOW IT GOT THERE. ENGINE TORQUE, DOWNWARD FORCE ON THE TRANSOM FROM THE DIVERTER RUN ALL THE WAY UP WITH HIGH HORSEPOWER (WHICH I WAS TOLD WAS LUDICROUS)... IT WAS HOW IT GOT THERE, MORE THAN FINDING THE HOLE AND FIXING IT.

shaun
07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
would think if it was a horse power or stress issue it would be a crack or somthing, a pin hole sounds like somebody doesnt like you :p j/k sorry, haha

rerfert
07-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Bubble in the glass lamination?
Hit something in the water if you have a mark on the outside??
You know where it is......glass it up with your kit from the inside...shouldnt take much?
If you have a problem holding it in the corner use duct tape over the repair till cured.

Danhercules
07-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Shifty,
I had a small leak only underway. There were water and air bubbles commin up through the glass. I could not tell there was a problem by just looking at the glass. After grinding it down, there was a crack that was a couple feet long. I could only see it after grinding the glass down. THere was some delam. Laid a buch of new glass, problem fixed.

SHIFTY
07-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Bubble in the glass lamination?
Hit something in the water if you have a mark on the outside??
You know where it is......glass it up with your kit from the inside...shouldnt take much?
If you have a problem holding it in the corner use duct tape over the repair till cured.
HOPEFULLY NOT A BIG DEAL. SLIGHT HAIRLINE CRACK ON THE OUTSIDE, ABOUT A 1/2" LONG; WHICH HAPPENS TO BE RIGHT ON THE BUNK. GUESSING THAT IS THE ROOT OF MY EVIL...

SHIFTY
07-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Shifty,
I had a small leak only underway. There were water and air bubbles commin up through the glass. I could not tell there was a problem by just looking at the glass. After grinding it down, there was a crack that was a couple feet long. I could only see it after grinding the glass down. THere was some delam. Laid a buch of new glass, problem fixed.
HOPING IT's NOT THAT SERIOUS. IT LEAKS JUST FLOATING, AGAIN... NOT THAT MUCH. BUT, IT DOES GET A LITTLE WORSE UNDERWAY. THINKING THE DOWNFORCE OF THE DIVERTER ALL THE WAY UP MIGHT BE CONTRIBUTING...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1873PF141.jpg

78CoLe
07-28-2006, 12:22 AM
you gonna make it to the aug bash at big bend 5/6 I wanna see that thing run looked awsome at fc5 maby trade a ride for a cold one

SHIFTY
07-28-2006, 06:05 AM
I WILL BE IN HAVASU, SANS BOAT THAT WEEKEND. WE'll MEET UP EVENTUALLY, I'm PLANNING ON HITTING NEEDLES SOON... I'll KEEP YA POSTED.

olbiezer
07-28-2006, 06:08 AM
shifty....if its leaking while underway u got bigger problems then u thought....id be real weary of all the water rotting out the transum and all..u might want to bring it to a pro and let him look at it for peace of mind if nothing else. good luck guy great looking boat

SHIFTY
07-28-2006, 06:13 AM
shifty....if its leaking while underway u got bigger problems then u thought....id be real weary of all the water rotting out the transum and all..u might want to bring it to a pro and let him look at it for peace of mind if nothing else. good luck guy great looking boat
IT's SLIGHTLY ACCELERATED WHILE UNDERWAY, AS IT IS UNDER THE WATERLINE. MAYBE I'll RUN DOWN AND SNAP A PIC IN A FEW MINUTES...

SHIFTY
07-28-2006, 07:21 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1873HL.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1873HLC.jpg

BrendellaJet
07-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Yank the tank and carpet, grind some of that glass down and look for a bigger problem(delamination). Do a foot or so on each side ofit , 6 inches wide . If you find a problem, expand the area if needed. Otherwise patch it up and you can bet the problem is taken care of...

SHIFTY
07-28-2006, 07:34 AM
How Does Delamination Start? Is It Just An Age Thing? The Hull Was Completely Redone Before I Bought It. New Stringers, Two Bulkheads, Blah Blah Blah.
Everything Was Constructed To Handle High Horsepower, Etc...

SHIFTY
07-28-2006, 07:36 AM
1976 eliminator bubbledeck (minus motor)
-Hull-
- completely gone through 2 years ago
- Floor re-gel coated
- New bulk head and side supports
- New PPG paint
- New black anodized rub railing
- Bottom blueprinted by Roger Weiman (including shoe & rideplate)
-Pump-
- Berkeley 12-JG (pump angle modified by Roger Weiman)
- MPD loader (thru-bolted)
- Aggressor bronze AB
- Manual place diverter
- Pump, as well as all related hardware matching painted to match
-Interior-
- New custom black carpet and cloth seats by Designer Interiors in Corona, CA
- Rex polished billet steering column, steering wheel, shifter, polished bezels, polished T-handle for place diverter, Rex polished flush mount gas caps
- Auto meter pro comp gauges
- Boat completed re-wired
- New Rex battery bow w/ new battery
- MSD- 6A box mounted on transom (included)
- Powercoated rail set up for B/B Chevy (front and rear plates as well as bellhousing)
- All nuts and bolt stainless
- Kill switch
- All new cables (Steering, throttle, diverter, etc..)
- Custom stainless steel 15 gallon tanks and/or 5 gallon imco tank

BrendellaJet
07-28-2006, 05:04 PM
How Does Delamination Start? Is It Just An Age Thing? The Hull Was Completely Redone Before I Bought It. New Stringers, Two Bulkheads, Blah Blah Blah.
Everything Was Constructed To Handle High Horsepower, Etc...
I really dont know. Probably starts with a scratch or chip, likely from outside. But if you can catch it before it really gets out of control that is a good thing. Once water is allowed to get into the layers of glass it will start deteriorating quickly. You want to handle this ASAP. Boats can and will be destroyed by this, potentially when you are in it too...

BrendellaJet
07-28-2006, 05:13 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212Shifty.jpg
The area I circled could be delam. Hard to say.
This appears to be on the transom, stringer covered in carpet to the left. All of these areas need to be exposed and ground on. Id drill into the spots I circled to see if they are hollow. The lighter color makes me think they are.
Anyway, like I said above, you want to grind out past where the delam is showing, and overlap the repair with parts of the boat that are solid. That way its like new when you are done.
One idea- I had a spot delam on my deck. (Unfortunately I didn't realize it until I spent a couple hundred hours gel coating sanding and polishing.) You could hear it though by tapping on it with your finger nail. Tap on a suspected good spot, then the bad spot, if its delamming you'll likely hear it.

73WriedtCustom
07-29-2006, 12:09 AM
That looks like a boat load of HORSEPOWER you are running there. Are your motor-mount's secure? Is the engine shifting when you stab the throttle?
Mark

beerjet
07-29-2006, 09:09 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1873P6040032.JPG
This thing is real cute !
I likey !
-beerjet-