PDA

View Full Version : help need starter rebuild shop

derail640
07-27-2006, 08:31 PM
well I could not wait any longer for my engine to get built so i bought a good used truck engine and got it droped in today and the old top mount reverse rotation starter is locked up can it be rebuilt is there any diffrence in the internal parts besides the revirse windings? anyone have a extra top mount for a BBF ? I didnt put the shim inbetween the block and motor mount so a bottom starter is out of the question i hate to have to pull the engine to put that on

DUCKY
07-27-2006, 10:23 PM
A marine starter is a little different due to the gaskets, seals, and spark vents that make it "explosion proof". If your engine compartment is open (no hatch) then it's not such a big deal, but if you have a hatch, make sure that your rebuilder knows what he is doing with a marine starter. If your compartment is open, just go to your local parts house with starter in hand and they should be able to match you up an automotive equivalent. I think the top mounts are actually an old style chevy unit (like from the 50's... pre V-8).

LGCDEVIL
07-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Where are you located?

Keithb87
07-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Battery Center in Mesa, AZ
1743 N Country Club Dr
Mesa, AZ
(480) 833-1650
They re-did the one on the Condor for me.
Make sure to tell them it is "Reverse" rotation.

derail640
07-28-2006, 05:23 PM
well after a lot of serching i found a replacement $200 out of canada
+20 shipping for new CP performance wanted $305 all the local shops said they cant rebuild my old one the couldent find a new gear. I ami currently in the SF bay area but home is in chandler guess i could mail my old one home to get rebuilt and have a spare thanks for all the help

YeLLowBoaT
07-28-2006, 05:25 PM
well after a lot of serching i found a replacement $200 out of canada
+20 shipping for new CP performance wanted $305 all the local shops said they cant rebuild my old one the couldent find a new gear. I ami currently in the SF bay area but home is in chandler guess i could mail my old one home to get rebuilt and have a spare thanks for all the help
Holley Generator and Equipment
3531 Sunrise Blvd Ste 32
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742
(916) 852-1505