PDA

View Full Version : lift kits and towing 5th wheel????

78 challenger
07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
I have a new GMC 4x4 duramax with allison tranny. I am towing a 33ft Raptor toy hauler. I want to lift my truck but was wondering what some other peoples ideas are first before I do this. What I am asking is how big can I go without flipping the axles on my trailer, and if I do flip the axles what are some of the pros and cons. I would like my lift to be between 6 and 8 inches.

OldYeller
07-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Lifting your truck could have a serious impact on towing your trailer. Is your trailer level now when you tow? If it already nose high, your are putting high stress on your rear springs. How much distance is between the bed-rails and the trailer? If your are over 6", you can lower the kingpin to compensate for raising the truck, but your really dont want to go below 6" between truck and trailer. I have done axle flips for peole that have lifted their trucks. Some of the drawbacks are: trailer will become more top heavy causing some instability, steps are higher off of the ground, and in the case of toy-haulers, rear ramp is at a much steeper angle. I think that a small lift might be possible, but a tall lift could run you into some problems.

Fountainduo
08-07-2006, 08:37 PM
I towed a 37ft warrior with a superduty with 37s and an 8 inch lift. Had no issues with either. The trailer came with flipped axles from warrior. Towed through some scetch sand and surrived.

riverroyal
08-09-2006, 06:47 PM
without flipping the axles.You need about 6 to 8 inches of clearance above the bed sides,stock truck has that

wedge44
08-21-2006, 07:40 AM
I have a new GMC 4x4 duramax with allison tranny. I am towing a 33ft Raptor toy hauler. I want to lift my truck but was wondering what some other peoples ideas are first before I do this. What I am asking is how big can I go without flipping the axles on my trailer, and if I do flip the axles what are some of the pros and cons. I would like my lift to be between 6 and 8 inches.
I have 06' f-350 with 6" Fab-tech lift and 35" Nitto's..I tow 30' Wildcat 5th wheel that comes lifted stock....Wild Cat by Forest River has adjustable shackles bulit in so it's just a simple adjustment...it will accomadate a 4" to 6" lift.......wedge