PDA

View Full Version : How do 28-30 cats handle rough water?

zimm
07-29-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a new Superboat Y2K to tear up the lower Chesapeake Bay which is notorious for snotty, rough conditions.
I can't help but ask about a comparable cat though. They do go faster for the HP and look really cool, but can they handle 3' chop easily?
Also is there any cabin space to crash out for the night after drinking all day at the beach? I've never seen the interior of a 30 foot cat.

Goodtime$
07-29-2006, 08:47 AM
30 spectre? skater etc will be out of the superboat price range. There is one new/used 30spectre with 300xs for sale on here. Once you go tunnel, you never go back.

Jordy
07-29-2006, 08:57 AM
30 spectre? skater etc will be out of the superboat price range. There is one new/used 30spectre with 300xs for sale on here. Once you go tunnel, you never go back.
Yeah, there are a few Spectres with 300's for sale around here. ;)
I know mine is a kick in rough water. :D

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-29-2006, 09:15 AM
My 30 daytona handles 3 footers no problem. I like the ride in the cat much better. I like the cabin of a 30 v way better!!! Way more head room.

Kilrtoy
07-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Yeah, there are a few Spectres with 300's for sale around here. ;)
I know mine is a kick in rough water. :D
Lake Pleasant has ruff water :boxed:

Jordy
07-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Lake Pleasant has ruff water :boxed:
When a storm blows in, yes it does. Sank 17 boats one night when we were out in it. ;)
Oh, and I do boat other places than Pleasant, like Lake Pacific. Coming back from lunch at Catalina on the Saturday before the 4th of July, we were running back in 8' seas that were white capping. ;)

Havasu Hangin'
07-29-2006, 09:27 AM
...white capping. ;)
What the hell is "white capping", homie?
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool0008.gif

Kilrtoy
07-29-2006, 10:02 AM
What the hell is "white capping", homie?
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool0008.gif
Making fun of the white man.....

seanv
07-29-2006, 10:32 AM
My 31 Ao Has A Cumfortable Cabin For A Cat. Double Size Bed On The Tunnel And Walk Space In The Sponsons. Hell One Night On Pleasant We Had Seven Peeps In There Watching Pirates Of The Caribeean. Way Cool. Still Wish It Was A Daytona!

seanv
07-29-2006, 10:45 AM
And As Much As Hate To Say....jordy....is R..r..right. Pleasant Can Get Prety Tore Up From Big Cruisers And Wake Boats. My 25daytona Was Rough Out There In The Pm. This Cat I Have Now Climbs On Top Of The Waves And Zips Along. Now That I've Owned Both Designs I Would Recomend A True Cat Over A Tunnel. But, You'll Still Get A Great Ride In A 30' Tunnel ( Eliminator,dcb Etc ) My .02

Jordy
07-29-2006, 11:00 AM
And As Much As Hate To Say....jordy....is R..r..right.
How much did that hurt to say??? :D :D :D

Kilrtoy
07-29-2006, 11:26 AM
He was rushed to the Trama center in critical condition, we will keep you posted

DMOORE
07-29-2006, 11:56 AM
After owning a 32ft Scarab and now a 28ft Advantage Sport cat I would say a Cat rides better ft-per-ft over a v. Just MHO. Now saying that, the V has the amenities over the Cat. My 32 had a v-berth, head ,two couches that turned into beds and a fridge. My cat has two small sitting areas and a flat area you could use as a bed. Not much. But.... it's a LOT faster.
Darrell.

seanv
07-29-2006, 12:40 PM
ohhhhhh it hurts :crossx:

rlj676
07-29-2006, 04:23 PM
zimm, for the money you can get that Y2K for (I've seen your OSO thread I think) you won't find a 28-30 cat that is newer with a cabin. You could pick up a nice spectre like Jordy's, but that has no cabin period. Otherwise it would have to be an older Daytona probably to get a 28+. Then most have twins and insurance becomes a big issue. The Y2K sees pretty good speeds for a single 30 V and should be much easier to insure.

Jordy
07-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Then most have twins and insurance becomes a big issue. The Y2K sees pretty good speeds for a single 30 V and should be much easier to insure.
My boat isn't that bad to insure because it's 30' (which seems to be some magic number for insurance companies) and has only 300hp a side, versus 500+ a side with some of the v's I was looking at. ;)
30' with a single engine is alot of boat to shoe without having the ability to throw one drive forward and one reverse to get in and out of tight spots, such as slips, docks, marinas and the like. Just my $0.02 on it.
And yes, the lack of a cabin in my Spectre is one of the reasons I'm looking at going a different route. It is a fun boat though.

FASTERDAMITT
07-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Once you go tunnel, you never go back.
Well I guess I broke that rule! :D I do love the Y2K. Not many other V's out there that would satisfy me after having a fast cat. For a single 30'er, it's gonna be hard to beat. :rollside:
As for the ride. My American Offshore worked pretty good in Havasu up to 3'ers. I had been in much bigger water a couple of times during storms but had to work to get the boat on top of the big rollers, then it handled pretty good. I prefer the Y2K over the cat in big water. The Superboat will handle everything the Offshore did and more. It loves the ocean waters. If you have alot of big choppy wash from other boats, the Superboat will toss you around a bit more that the cat. It cuts the water fine, just not riding on top as well as the cat. Superboat to me was a great step across from a cat. I still like both.
Keep in mind the Y2K has a 30' bottom and 31.7' long. Most 28 cats are really 26 bottoms and 28 overall. If you want single cat I still prefer the American Offshore. Twins, alot more options but I do like the Spectre. :)

dicudmore
07-29-2006, 06:40 PM
maybe a 27' Ultra...lotta freeboard :cool:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6385C8EA2060-AA7B-2CB7-0E1E0AE587CF11A9.jpg
interior
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-2-21867-Dicudmore_23.jpg
bed area with the interior trim pulled out
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-2-18483-Dicudmore_3.jpg
23" for the visiting kiddies
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-2-19525-Dicudmore_4.jpg

dicudmore
07-29-2006, 06:43 PM
the boss has a nice 98 30' Spectre with 300 ProMax's for sale...65K
he just upgraded to a 36'

Havasu Hangin'
07-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Amatuers...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/74Cabin.jpg

dicudmore
07-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Amatuers...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/74Cabin.jpg
doesn't look like the cabin of any under 30' cat I've ever seen there Jeff

Havasu Hangin'
07-29-2006, 08:49 PM
doesn't look like the cabin of any under 30' cat I've ever seen there Jeff
It's not. Only an idiot would buy a 30' cat for the cabin.
:D
PS- any 28'-30' cats think they can beat me in shitty water? Step up.

andy01
07-29-2006, 10:43 PM
It's not. Only an idiot would buy a 30' cat for the cabin.
PS- any 28'-30' cats think they can beat me in shitty water? Step up.
I'll race you to Catalina at 4 in the afternoon.......... (By then you and Dan will have had enough to drink that you won't notice the anchor I tied to the back of your boat...... the anchor will be Dans dock)
You want a nice 30' Cat, here you go........ 40K less then a new and less then 40 hours. Boat shows brand new. I want it out of my back yard, Im tired of walking around it. Find another new 30' even close in year, features and rough water handling for this kind of money............. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/84853328.htm
Andy

zimm
07-30-2006, 12:09 AM
Well I did some poking around. The spectre has zero cabin- just like my 22 Donzi that I'm upgrading from.
How about the 28' skater? Is there a bunk or anything to crawl into? I don't need a romper room for kids, but just a place to throw a sleeping bag for two for the night. Pics would be great.
On a side note- how much maint does a pair of 300 opti's need? I'm not going to be buying new powerheads every season am i? I've always had a chevy big block so I'm used to years between tear downs. I don't race, and full throttle is usually only in 2-5 min blasts. I do poker runs though...

FASTERDAMITT
07-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Skater= NO CABIN! American Offshore26= mattress for two. American Offshore 31= mattress for two and walk around.
Twin 300's are low maint...

Havasu Cig
07-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Since my Skater is off the table now I would step up to either Andy's or Jordy's spectre on here if I was looking for a cat in that size range for rough water.
For real rough stuff I will agree with HH that you can not beat a quality rough water V bottom like his Cig. I have run my Cig through stuff that would scare me in a cat.

FASTERDAMITT
07-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I'll take your Skater :D. Spectre have a cabin?

DMOORE
07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
PS- any 28'-30' cats think they can beat me in shitty water? Step up.[/QUOTE]
What length boat are you running?
Darrell.

Brian
07-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Darrell.
Don't worry, that big ole Cig only runs 55 on a good day... Or so I've been told!

DMOORE
07-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Don't worry, that big ole Cig only runs 55 on a good day... Or so I've been told!
I was just curious. It seems that Havasu Cig does a lot of off shore boating also.
Darrell.

Havasu Hangin'
07-30-2006, 06:37 PM
My cabin is 25'. :notam:
It'll only do 55 MPH downhill.

Charley
07-30-2006, 07:08 PM
It'll only do 55 MPH downhill.
That's untrue, the sheer weight of that boat pushes your tow vehicle well into triple digits downhill :D

3 daytona`s
07-30-2006, 07:10 PM
When a storm blows in, yes it does. Sank 17 boats one night when we were out in it. ;)
Oh, and I do boat other places than Pleasant, like Lake Pacific. Coming back from lunch at Catalina on the Saturday before the 4th of July, we were running back in 8' seas that were white capping. ;)
Jordy don`t take personaly: KIRTOY is the boating resident expert so must take everything with a block of salt.I thought he`d make some smart ass remark about the new 36 Daytona Coupe DELAMINATORS as he call them. :confused:

Kilrtoy
07-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Jordy don`t take personaly: KIRTOY is the boating resident expert so must take everything with a block of salt.I thought he`d make some smart ass remark about the new 36 Daytona Coupe DELAMINATORS as he call them. :confused:
Now that you ordained me, How can I help you :rolleyes:
what would you like to know about the Delaminator... :boxed:

3 daytona`s
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Now that you ordained me, How can I help you :rolleyes:
what would you like to know about the Delaminator... :boxed:
I can assume now ----- you have all the information. I have plenty of time lay it on me TURBO

Kilrtoy
07-30-2006, 08:52 PM
I can assume now ----- you have all the information. I have plenty of time lay it on me TURBO
here is the skinny,
If you buy a new one, which I certaining would under one condition....
THAT TONY RIGGS IT :boxed:
But seeing in all you have three and I have zero, I would refer to your knowledge

3 daytona`s
07-30-2006, 08:59 PM
here is the skinny,
If you buy a new one, which I certaining would under one condition....
THAT TONY RIGGS IT :boxed:
But seeing in all you have three and I have zero, I would refer to your knowledge
I`m just having some fun KILLER you have been a good guy---- I`ll buy you a beer or soda, :) promise.I`ve got to say great comeback --good week O.K.?

Havasu Cig
07-31-2006, 09:19 AM
I was just curious. It seems that Havasu Cig does a lot of off shore boating also.
Darrell.
Depends on how bad of water we are talking about. I have been in stuff in the ocean in my Cig that I would not want to be running a 28-30 cat in. I almost stuffed my Cig off Point Loma, and if you are from San Diego you know how nasty it can get out there. For lake running I would say a 28-30 cat is a perfect boat (unless we are talking lake Michigan etc...). For the ocean you would have to be careful, but on most days you would be ok in a cat that size. I would still take the Cig though if you plan on spending most of the time in the ocean.

DMOORE
07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Depends on how bad of water we are talking about. I have been in stuff in the ocean in my Cig that I would not want to be running a 28-30 cat in. I almost stuffed my Cig off Point Loma, and if you are from San Diego you know how nasty it can get out there. For lake running I would say a 28-30 cat is a perfect boat (unless we are talking lake Michigan etc...). For the ocean you would have to be careful, but on most days you would be ok in a cat that size. I would still take the Cig though if you plan on spending most of the time in the ocean.
I agree, for open ocean work, the longer the better. I'm a former Navy SEAL. And besides the Teams I was also was on a Special Boat Unit. We ran everything from 41ft Fountains to 80ft MK-5's. And Ive seen an 80ft boat stuff a wave at 50knots. Not pretty. 20 tons of water over the bow can really hurt someone. It's always the one you didn't see.....
Darrell.

No Regrets
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I agree, for open ocean work, the longer the better. I'm a former Navy SEAL. And besides the Teams I was also was on a Special Boat Unit. We ran everything from 41ft Fountains to 80ft MK-5's. And Ive seen an 80ft boat stuff a wave at 50knots. Not pretty. 20 tons of water over the bow can really hurt someone. It's always the one you didn't see.....
Darrell.
Hurt someone? Sounds like that would make someone disappear. That gives me chills. Tell me more.