PDA

View Full Version : Solid or Hydraulic cam??

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-29-2006, 10:20 AM
I am running a solid lifer cam on a high comp motor. I have to get a new cam and a few peeps are telling me to go with hydraulic. How much hp does a solid make over a hydraulic?? What are the pro's and cons on solids. I konw you have to set lash so that would be a con but what else???

sbcokeman
07-29-2006, 10:32 AM
if you really want to do it right go roller cam, it cost more but in the long run it's worth it. the wear on the cam and the motor is much less. match it up with roller rockers and you got a killer set up :rollside:

QuickJet
07-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I am running a solid lifer cam on a high comp motor. I have to get a new cam and a few peeps are telling me to go with hydraulic. How much hp does a solid make over a hydraulic?? What are the pro's and cons on solids. I konw you have to set lash so that would be a con but what else???
Your peeps are telling you to switch to a hydrolic so they can beat you.
Just stick with what you know makes power. It takes alot of money to get power from a jetboat, taking power away isn't going to make you any faster.
If you can afford it, I'd go with a solid roller!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Your peeps are telling you to switch to a hydrolic so they can beat you.
Just stick with what you know makes power. It takes alot of money to get power from a jetboat, taking power away isn't going to make you any faster.
If you can afford it, I'd go with a solid roller!
I think you might be on to something;) I have to change cams because I lost a polyloc jamnut and it took 2 lobes with it. I think if I put a stud girdle on her, she will be problem free.
I would like to see if someone actually dynoed the smae motor with sold and hydraulic to see how much the difference was. Thats the main reason why I posted the q's;)

QuickJet
07-29-2006, 11:16 AM
I think you might be on to something;) I have to change cams because I lost a polyloc jamnut and it took 2 lobes with it. I think if I put a stud girdle on her, she will be problem free.
I would like to see if someone actually dynoed the smae motor with sold and hydraulic to see how much the difference was. Thats the main reason why I posted the q's;)
I read an article in Car Craft a while back with the same comparison you are looking for. I'll go check my library (bathroom) to see if I can find it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-29-2006, 12:04 PM
I read an article in Car Craft a while back with the same comparison you are looking for. I'll go check my library (bathroom) to see if I can find it.
sounds good;)

YeLLowBoaT
07-29-2006, 12:10 PM
from what I have heard its 20-30 hp depending on lash. Then again the grind cams diffrently for each.

LoadedGun
07-29-2006, 02:49 PM
I'd stick to the solid cam. As long as you have screw in studs, hardend pushrods. That should keep your lash adjustments to a min. BUT if you got the cash, roller cams cant be beat. Valves will open faster and stay open longer, this = more power. Plus you'll have less wear. Oh yeah, you'd also want roller rockers along with your roller cam.
Gun

DUCKY
07-29-2006, 03:16 PM
I'll probably be flamed for this.....
In a jet, I prefer a hydraulic roller. Why? No Noise, no valve adjustments, and you still get the long wear and steep ramp benefits of a roller, without the need for a fast wearing bronze dist. gear and the needle bearing failures. What RPM are your turning? I'll bet under 6000, so high zoot valve train components are not necessary. Cam your motor properly for it's RPM range and you will be happiest.

Moneypitt
07-29-2006, 03:36 PM
The only advantage solids have over hyd lifters is the associated valve spring limits. Solids, with stiffer valve springs will RPM better due to valve closing rates. The hyd lifter limits the amount of seat pressure you can run, and therefore the RPMs you will get........Just my .02..........MP
If you want the best combo, go solid roller and be done with it.........